http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 02:22:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII (8) getting an remastered release?  (Read 534 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2013, 06:15:42 AM »

for the PC?  yep, this is VIII, not VII.  seems like an odd choice for a graphical update, and an even odder choice to make it for the PC version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »

It's probably just upping the resolution to make it "HD."

The FF games hold up well to this treatment since they have textures and models that translate really well despite their PS2 roots.

Let's hope they can do something to the core mechanic. The draw system was just boooooring.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 18, 2013, 06:44:16 AM

Let's hope they can do something to the core mechanic. The draw system was just boooooring.

I've gotten 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through this game on three different occasions before the Draw system simply burns me out.  Can't imagine I'll try it again unless is a complete graphical overhaul.  My guess is that this will be similar to the FF VII release last year.  No real improvements, just slightly higher resolution of the same old character models.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »

still not finished this game,i finally got to disc 4 and heard a big fight was coming up and was dreading it,LOL....never got round to it

One day i will give it another go,i finished 7 and 9 quite a few times

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2013, 06:15:42 AM

for the PC?  yep, this is VIII, not VII.  seems like an odd choice for a graphical update, and an even odder choice to make it for the PC version.

Unfortunately, we're still four years away from the FF VII 20 year anniversary, which to them means we're only four years away from a rerelease.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 18, 2013, 06:44:16 AM

It's probably just upping the resolution to make it "HD."

that's what I'm guessing, because the first screen show still has pointy elbows.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:30:32 AM »

I seem to recall that one being bad with a main character that whined more than usual for these games.

If they did 12 I'd be all over that one. I remember liking it but also being burnt out on all the Japanese RPGs by then so only got a few hours in before putting it aside. Think I could manage another JRPG after this several year hiatus.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 08:42:56 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 19, 2013, 02:30:32 AM

If they did 12 I'd be all over that one. I remember liking it but also being burnt out on all the Japanese RPGs by then so only got a few hours in before putting it aside. Think I could manage another JRPG after this several year hiatus.

There are rumors that Square Enix will unveil a Final Fantasy remake for the Wii U at E3, and I think FFXII is a strong possibility.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 19, 2013, 08:42:56 AM

There are rumors that Square Enix will unveil a Final Fantasy remake for the Wii U at E3, and I think FFXII is a strong possibility.

that would be total BS if Square did it for the Wii U and not the PlayStation with X/X-2 HD happening later this year

Nintendo DID have the Final Fantasy 12 sequel though on the DS(Wii U versions of both then in one package like X/X-2?)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »

As much as I'd love to play an HD version of FF XII, I still wouldn't buy a Wii U for it.  Been burned once on buying a Nintendo console for one or two games...never again.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

oooo... I'd buy that.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »

well, it got re-released.  no word in the description of any updates beyond Chocobo World or the boster deal.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 19, 2013, 04:58:09 PM

oooo... I'd buy that.

+1 day one.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 05, 2013, 08:07:51 PM

well, it got re-released.  no word in the description of any updates beyond Chocobo World or the boster deal.

Both FF VII and FF VIII received a PC release way back in the day.  I'm guessing that someone at Square happened to find those files on an old hard drive somewhere, and realized that if they slapped together a "HD re-release" they could milk a bit more $$ from that cow.  I'm sure this will be the same lazy-ass port they did with FF VII.  Higher-res character models but they won't even bother to re-render the backgrounds so they don't look like a blurry, low resolution mess.   icon_evil

That said, I'm almost tempted to pick it up.  I've never gotten all the way through VIII because the Draw system was so cumbersome and time consuming.  They've essentially removed that element of the game with the "Magic Booster", which would allow me to focus on the parts I liked (i.e. story, combat, and the overall world) rather than tearing my hair out because every battle becomes draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, over and over again.

Magic Booster

When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie

This feature can be used from the launcher.

EDIT:  Reading the comments on Steam, it sounds like they didn't even bother to port over the PSX music, and just threw in the crappy MIDI soundtrack.  Sheesh Square, could you possibly be any lazier with these ports?   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:31:36 AM by Gratch » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 06, 2013, 12:18:13 AM

EDIT:  Reading the comments on Steam, it sounds like they didn't even bother to port over the PSX music, and just threw in the crappy MIDI soundtrack.  Sheesh Square, could you possibly be any lazier with these ports?   Roll Eyes

Squenix would NEVER be lazy with porting their games! Ever! Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 06, 2013, 04:01:25 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 06, 2013, 12:18:13 AM

EDIT:  Reading the comments on Steam, it sounds like they didn't even bother to port over the PSX music, and just threw in the crappy MIDI soundtrack.  Sheesh Square, could you possibly be any lazier with these ports?   Roll Eyes

Squenix would NEVER be lazy with porting their games! Ever! Tongue

at least they didn't microtransaction the songs.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »

Meanwhile, money is wasted making the Pretty Pretty Dress Up Waifu Lightning, the game.

Oh and releasing a utterly crap MMO and wasting money redoing the entire thing.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 04:21:58 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 07, 2013, 02:33:38 AM

Meanwhile, money is wasted making the Pretty Pretty Dress Up Waifu Lightning, the game.

Oh and releasing a utterly crap MMO and wasting money redoing the entire thing.

To be fair, the "redo" MMO is really quite excellent.

I actually love the fact that they've released FF VII and VIII on PC, just annoyed that they blatantly put so little effort into it.  Putting even a minor effort into these PC releases could have been a chance to garner lots of goodwill from nostalgic FF buffs like myself.  Instead, Squeenix wasted the opportunity and reinforced - yet again - that they really couldn't give two shits about those of us who have supported them for so long.  The end of that train is coming, and sooner than they would like to think if they keep this shit up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: