http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:40:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII is 10 years old - replay anyone?  (Read 8312 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2007, 12:52:21 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 06, 2007, 05:18:11 AM

i am just about to leave Midgar via motorbike mini game(forgot the motorbike game that it resembles)

Probably Road Rash.

I'll be storming Shinra headquarters tonight.  I'm coming for you Rufus!!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
unbreakable
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »

Well, I got kinda up and running by using some USB devices.  I was able to recover my data from the drive that way, but stupidly forgot to move the stuff from my "Program Files" directory before I wiped the drive (it will need to be RMA'd).

Good thing I put my old 300gb ATA drive in an enclosure!

Sadly, I lost a few recordings of Samurai 7, and I was about two weeks behind on Daily Show/Colbert Report.  And I had a few other things recorded which are gone as well.  Damn hard drive.  But it could have been worse- at least the drive didn't completely die.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 03:46:15 PM by unbreakable » Logged
warning

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2007, 07:14:12 PM »

I didn't get as much playtime this week as I'd hoped.  I'm just now heading into Shinra HQ to bust out Aeris.

My write-up: http://rpgrewind.com/2007/06/10/a-golden-shiny-wire-of-hope/

And man I really hated the Wall Market and Don Corneo mansion segment of the game.  It was sorta fun the first time but I've been through it four times now and it's just mind-numbingly dull.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »

Nice write-up.  smile

I'm a little bit ahead of you (just escaped Midgar, headed for Kalm on the world map), but got sidetracked by Tomb Raider:  Anniversary this afternoon.  Should get in a couple more hours while Mrs. Gratch is at work tonight.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2007, 03:40:18 AM »

i have been pre-ocupised by Forza this weekend,i am just headed to the chocobo stables....that big snake is rummerging around in the long grass to the right

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2007, 03:49:30 AM »

Just finished the long 'origins of Sephiroth' flashback sequence.  Man, that's a lot of info to digest.  I need to dig up a transcript or something so I can refer to it during some of the later segments.  Mainly when they start in with the 'Cloud was Zack' mess.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »

Ok, finally got the discs I needed for the PSX version, and will hopefully start this week. Problem #2 however, is that I sold my PS2 and controller-so I have a PS2 controller adapter, yet no PS2 controller. What to do? i don't think playing with mouse and keyboard is a good idea (playing ePSXe).
unbreakable
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2007, 03:15:54 PM »

ePSXe does an ok job.  The emulator Warning mentioned does a perfect job aside from the FMV parts- now it may do better with the ISO, I created one, but never had a chance to test it (was having hard drive troubles)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 11, 2007, 03:13:11 PM

Ok, finally got the discs I needed for the PSX version, and will hopefully start this week. Problem #2 however, is that I sold my PS2 and controller-so I have a PS2 controller adapter, yet no PS2 controller. What to do? i don't think playing with mouse and keyboard is a good idea (playing ePSXe).

I'm using a wired 360 controller and it works perfectly with ePSXe.  Or you could buy the wireless adaptor for the PC and use the 360's wireless controller.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 11, 2007, 03:30:25 PM

I'm using a wired 360 controller and it works perfectly with ePSXe.  Or you could buy the wireless adaptor for the PC and use the 360's wireless controller.

Any idea if it functions well for the cost warning? I wouldnt mind another 360 controller-but 50 bucks or whatev? thats very steep-and I rarely use a pad on PC. Ill go check out the wireless thing.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2007, 03:56:06 PM »

Well I think I paid $40 for the wired controller.  But I use it all the time for games like this and stuff on Gametap (mmm... Tomb Raider Anniversary... ) so it was worth the $ for me.  The PC wireless adapter is $17 at Amazon so it might be worth it but I have no idea how it works with ePSXe.  I assume it will be fine but no personal experience here.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 11, 2007, 03:56:06 PM

Well I think I paid $40 for the wired controller.  But I use it all the time for games like this and stuff on Gametap (mmm... Tomb Raider Anniversary... ) so it was worth the $ for me.  The PC wireless adapter is $17 at Amazon so it might be worth it but I have no idea how it works with ePSXe.  I assume it will be fine but no personal experience here.

Ok i think I will use a coupon at best buy or something and pick up the wireless adapater-probalby wait until Friday though, so maybe I will tough it out with keyboard for a bit.
unbreakable
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »

I'm surprised we didn't have anyone talk about playing it on the PSP  icon_biggrin

I would if I could.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2007, 04:53:02 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 11, 2007, 04:41:47 PM

I'm surprised we didn't have anyone talk about playing it on the PSP  icon_biggrin

I would if I could.

I think Kevin Grey got it running on his PSP.  I liked playing Suikoden on my PSP but I couldn't get the screenshots to work out like I wanted so back to the PC for me.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2007, 05:07:42 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 11, 2007, 04:53:02 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on June 11, 2007, 04:41:47 PM

I would if I could.

I think Kevin Grey got it running on his PSP.  I liked playing Suikoden on my PSP but I couldn't get the screenshots to work out like I wanted so back to the PC for me.

I did indeed.  Didn't do much more than verify that it works though (played up through the initial assault on the reactor). 

Quote from: Calvin on June 11, 2007, 03:49:59 PM

Quote from: warning on June 11, 2007, 03:30:25 PM

Any idea if it functions well for the cost warning? I wouldnt mind another 360 controller-but 50 bucks or whatev? thats very steep-and I rarely use a pad on PC. Ill go check out the wireless thing.

Bought the wireless adapter last week and it works great with one understandable caveat- if you only want to use one controller for both the 360 and PC then you have to relink the devices to each as you switch back and forth.  I'm not playing anything on 360 now so it was quite painless to just exclusively use the controller on the PC (where I'm playing TR: Anniversary).

Also, I believe that there are drivers out there so you can use the Sixaxis on your PC. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »

Just by plugging in the USB cable Kevin? If so, SOLD!! As for the PSP play, god I want to do that with ALL the old PS1 rpgs lying around, I am just kind of waiting and hoping for the redesign-on the other hand, will homebrew even work on the redesign? I am definitely getting a handheld before I move cross country in August, and it won't be a DS, so...yeah...when is a good time to get a PSP? smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 11, 2007, 05:29:33 PM

Just by plugging in the USB cable Kevin?

I think so.  Sony hasn't provided official drivers but I think someone out there hacked something together to make it work.  I haven't tried it myself but I know I've read about it in a few places.  A google search should provide some guidance. 

Re:  the PSP redesign.  If Sony can use the opportunity to button up the platform again I'm sure they will.  Personally I'll probably keep my existing PSP as-is for use exclusively for emulation and then pick up the redesign and use it "normally". 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 11, 2007, 05:42:14 PM

Just by plugging in the USB cable Kevin?

I think so.  Sony hasn't provided official drivers but I think someone out there hacked something together to make it work.  I haven't tried it myself but I know I've read about it in a few places.  A google search should provide some guidance. 

Re:  the PSP redesign.  If Sony can use the opportunity to button up the platform again I'm sure they will.  Personally I'll probably keep my existing PSP as-is for use exclusively for emulation and then pick up the redesign and use it "normally". 

Ok-with my last derail (SORRY WARNING)-would you recommend waiting until E3 when the new product supposedly will be announced? I would like to just be able to buy one and have it work well for everything obviously-because the PSP library is starting to look very good, and the downloadables from the PSN store (jesus could we get more games) and the PS3 connectivity really is appealing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »

Just by plugging in the USB cable Kevin? If so, SOLD!! As for the PSP play, god I want to do that with ALL the old PS1 rpgs lying around, I am just kind of waiting and hoping for the redesign-on the other hand, will homebrew even work on the redesign? I am definitely getting a handheld before I move cross country in August, and it won't be a DS, so...yeah...when is a good time to get a PSP? smile

If you want a PSP JUST for PS1 games, then there's no time like now to buy one. Keep in mind though - you MUST (as of right now) go homebrew on your PSP in order to play 90-95% of the PS1 collection, as otherwise you have to wait for Sony to release the PS1 game (and buy it even if you already own it) you want to play (and this also as of right now requires a PS3 to do so). And as of right now, their selection really stinks. If you go homebrew, you can just rip any game you own, and odds are it'll play.

The current, new versions (3.4 and 3.5) can NOT be downgraded to something that's homebrew friendly. Heck - you need a 3.1 (or is it 3.0) console or below so you can downgrade it, then upgrade it again to a homebrew version. And those are becoming hard to find out in the 'wild'. And it gets harder as the version numbers increase too, as you need an unpatched GTA to get past anything that's newer than version 2.71 (I think).

Also, expect no homebrew options on the redesigned PSP. Sony is pissed of all the additional 'features' homebrew gets people (the least of which is piracy - being able to play most of your PS1 collection you might own, some great homebrew games, full screen videos, etc), and they'll keep on doing whatever they can to keep people from having access to it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2007, 06:19:25 PM »

Yeah, if you want a PSP and homebrew (including PS1 emulation) is a big selling point then no time like the present.  Not only is the "regular" PSP not likely to get another price drop so soon after the last one but even if the redesign gets cracked it could still be some months until it happens, if ever. 

However, if you mainly want a PSP for the "legitimate" game library and have no problem with the risk of forgoing all homebrew, then I would wait until E3 and see if the redesign announcement happens. 
unbreakable
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2007, 04:43:16 AM »

I haven't had a chance to put much time into this, but tonight I toyed around with the PS2 (just picked up Culdcept), and I think my sound issues are definitely the USB device: the sound seems really "wavy" in Culdcept, and I sincerely doubt they intended the music to not even hold a note properly. 

I never noticed it before because about the only thing I played to start with was "Killer 7"... and if you've played it before, you'll know why one would never notice if something was off.  But surprisingly, I never had any sound problems while playing Guitar Hero.  No idea why that is.

I went through some of the stuff which came with my video capture card (my card, not the USB device), and it actually has an S-Video and Component module which I never used.  So I'll hook that stuff up later and see about getting the PS2 plugged in that way, hopefully that should get my FF7 sound all good in the hood.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:45:34 AM by unbreakable » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2007, 05:17:27 AM »

yup.i am still playing it...done a bit over last few days and have just got thrown into coral prison for a little 'mix up' that happened in the battle arena at gold saucer

thing is,i am not really sure what level i should have my characters...cloud is currently level 20,i havent had any boss fights for a while,but i have been levelling here and there,hopefully i am not too low for the next boss fight

unbreakable
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »

I was planning on just plowing through the game until the part where you are in that aircraft carrier city: it's the best place in the game to just grind out levels.

In one area is an alarm you can turn on and off.  If you turn it on, your random encounters will be with enemies you otherwise wouldn't see until way later in the game, and the fights are about as hard (and rewarding) as boss encounters.

So to me, working too much on leveling before this part is a bit of a waste of time.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2007, 05:35:55 PM »

I've been distracted this past week.  I'm just now finishing with Shinra HQ.

I've played the beginning parts of this game 3 different times (this makes #4) so it's kinda weird and dull for me right now but it'll pick up.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »

I've had very little gaming time as well.  Just got through the Mythril Mines in pursuit of Sephiroth.

unbreakable
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2007, 01:07:43 AM »

Wow... I changed the way the PS2 connects to my computer (in order words, doing it the right way), and what a huge difference it makes!

A while back I picked up some PS2 (and GC) S-Video cables from Warning... and the picture is amazing.  The sound is super clear as well, all is good in the world!

Media Center doesn't seem to have a way to accept that sort of input for some reason, at least not that I could adjust.  I've been wanting to see if Vista's MC offers better options, but in the mean time I'm making good use of the Intervideo Home Theater software which came with the GameBridge.  So it still turned out to be a good purchase!
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2007, 02:47:14 AM »

Not to get too OT here but where can I get one of those Gamebridge devices for cheap now? The one with the TV tuner would be great. I don't own a TV at the moment and want to play some of my backlogged stuff while I have a little time.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2007, 04:40:14 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on June 21, 2007, 02:47:14 AM

Not to get too OT here but where can I get one of those Gamebridge devices for cheap now? The one with the TV tuner would be great. I don't own a TV at the moment and want to play some of my backlogged stuff while I have a little time.
If you have a Fry's, then you might be able to pick one up yet, but otherwise you are probably out of luck.  I did see one at the MicroCenter here, but I think that they wanted $60 or $80 for it.

I had a hard drive crash which made me reinstall Windows and now the software works fine (it didn't work before).  For $20, it's a no brainer.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
unbreakable
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »

Quote from: Graham on June 21, 2007, 04:40:14 AM

If you have a Fry's, then you might be able to pick one up yet, but otherwise you are probably out of luck.  I did see one at the MicroCenter here, but I think that they wanted $60 or $80 for it.

I had a hard drive crash which made me reinstall Windows and now the software works fine (it didn't work before).  For $20, it's a no brainer.

I got mine from, I believe, Outpost.com (which is essentially the online presence of Fry's), but it's not listed there anymore.

JustDeals.com has one for $30, but I've never ordered anything from them before.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2007, 04:04:28 AM »

Okay I'm finally done with Shinra HQ and Midgar.  Ugh.  That part of the game seems to drag for some reason.  Now I'm finally on the overworld (yay!  save anywhere!) and heading to Kalm.  Good stuff ahead.

My latest entry in more detail: http://rpgrewind.com/2007/06/21/now-leaving-midgar/
warning

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2007, 02:03:05 AM »

I'm still chugging away at FF7.  I just finished Disc 1 and I'm about 22 hours into the game.  You-know-who just died.   icon_frown

I forgot how oversaturated I am with the beginning parts of this game.  Now that I've moved further in I'm having a lot of fun!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2007, 02:10:40 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 21, 2007, 08:39:30 PM

Quote from: Graham on June 21, 2007, 04:40:14 AM

I got mine from, I believe, Outpost.com (which is essentially the online presence of Fry's), but it's not listed there anymore.

JustDeals.com has one for $30, but I've never ordered anything from them before.

Sorry this is kinda OT, but how did you get around the supposed delay for a signal that goes through a TV capture card.  I remember hearing that was an issue and I gave up on my journey to resolve it.

unbreakable
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2007, 06:15:31 AM »

I didn't, not with that device.  I have a Hauppauge tuner card, and just ended up plugging the PS2 into that.  It's a bit more complex, but unless you have the same card the full story would be kind of boring.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2007, 06:43:14 AM »

Hmm, I have have the 250 series...now I am tempted to try it to see what happens.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2007, 08:49:01 AM »

too many games to play recently

i have left my crew at Cids village with the rocket,just arrived....must try and get back to it sometime so i dont lose the thread in the game

unbreakable
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2007, 03:39:11 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on July 15, 2007, 06:43:14 AM

Hmm, I have have the 250 series...now I am tempted to try it to see what happens.

The device did pretty good.  Aside from the sound issue, it worked really well.  If I were trying to get it to work, I would just route the sound through speakers rather than through the device.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2007, 08:03:15 AM »

got back to FF7 yesterday....disaster,i did rocket town,wutai...back to gold saucer for teh keystone and the date with aeries(still impressive)...and then went to temple of the ancients,everything was fine until i had to get out of there and fight demons gate...what a bastard that thing is,just cant kill it,so i am gonna load up a previous save(thank god i made it)outside of the temple...and level up a little,currently level 32 or so,but i havent got spells like slow or barrier which i remember having last time

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2007, 08:50:43 PM »

finished

spent the last 12 hrs or so getting from 2nd disc in the submarine to the end,i had re-do the end bad guy,safety sephiroth about 4 times,which isnt good because you have to go all the way back and kill all the bosses before him

i can see why the 3rd disc is so short,because of that ending,it went on forever,and then the second ending after the credits

oh,and it wasnt until the ending that i noticed how much...er,Tifa,was a ...full grown woman,if you know what i mean nod icon_wink icon_evil icon_redface

so,gonna have some Jack Daniels and watch FF7:advent children now...and then think about when i wanna start final fantasy 8

unbreakable
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2007, 12:37:24 AM »

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2007, 12:54:56 AM »

LOL,oh my icon_twisted

cloud and the others hardly have any space

this is kinda what i saw on the ending

but i was glad to see(was i?),that she looked 'normal' in the advent children film

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: