http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII is 10 years old - replay anyone?  (Read 8384 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 06:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 25, 2007, 02:56:14 PM

i have the pc version but it just looks like shit.

Hmm...sounds like you played it on a PC that didn't have a Voodoo video card. I've seen it on the PS1 and it definitely looks better on my legacy gaming rig with it's Voodoo5.
unbreakable
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »

Ok, I have my stuff all together.

Am I the only one really looking forward to this?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 12:42:27 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on May 28, 2007, 11:26:00 PM

Ok, I have my stuff all together.

Am I the only one really looking forward to this?

Nope I'm pumped for it.  I've been jonesing for an RPG since I finished Wild Arms.

I assume we can keep this thread updated with progress, screenshots, etc.  I'll be making my posts on my blog but I'll link to them here when I make a new one.  I'll be doing a lot of screenshots as I go so that'd be difficult to post both over here and over there.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 12:50:23 AM »

I'm pretty psyched as well.   icon_biggrin

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting your screenshots?  Are you playing the PC version, or through a PC emulator?

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 12:57:37 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 25, 2007, 06:14:02 PM

Quote from: Calvin on May 25, 2007, 02:56:14 PM

i have the pc version but it just looks like shit.

Hmm...sounds like you played it on a PC that didn't have a Voodoo video card. I've seen it on the PS1 and it definitely looks better on my legacy gaming rig with it's Voodoo5.

The battles look a bit nicer on the PC but the backgrounds, designed for 320x240 resolution with a TV's scanlines providing natural smoothing, are horribly pixelated at even 640x480 in the PC version. 
unbreakable
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 01:35:45 AM »

I haven't figured out whether to play it with ePSXe or on my PS2.  I may still have a PS1 around, unless I gave it back to my friend.  But the PS2 is already hooked up, so I may just go with the option which requires no effort.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 02:02:18 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 29, 2007, 12:50:23 AM

I'm pretty psyched as well.   icon_biggrin

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting your screenshots?  Are you playing the PC version, or through a PC emulator?

Yeah I do all my PSX games through an emulator (ePSXe).  It's the only way I've found to get screenshots.  Well I can get screenshots if I play it through my PSP but they're really small.

So yeah, ePSXe for me.  Specifically I'm using this guy's settings: http://www.lordkane.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=476/0
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 06:36:55 AM »

well i started it again(character models have aged badly,but the backgrounds still look pretty fab),wasnt aware that the star wars nod characters biggs and wedge were in this one,i thought they were just in number 6 and 8

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
unbreakable
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »

I love this comic

[attachment deleted by admin]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 12:08:09 AM »

I am still in, but not sure when I am starting. I really want to play the PSX version on ePSX rather than the pc port, so I am still looking around. Hoping to start this week though. Just wrapped up Jade Empire.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2007, 11:47:58 PM »

Bah, I just spent the better part of 2 hours fiddling with drivers trying to get ePSXe to work.  The graphics look fine, but both the music and character movements are randomly playing at about 10X speed.  It'll go at turbo speed, then back to normal, then back to turbo, etc.  I also can't get it to recognize any kind of gamepad, and there's no way I'm spending 40+ hours on my keyboard for this one.  I'll just play it on my old PS1 instead.

I am going to cheat a bit, however, and use the save point for the game I started a couple weeks ago.  It's only about 3 hours in (doing the Wall Market segment), and I don't really feel like replaying segments I just did a week ago.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2007, 01:16:51 AM »

Yikes.  That sucks Gratch.

Fortunately I've not had any problems with it but I've had it configured for awhile.  I'd be happy to troubleshoot it with you if you want but continuing your old save on the PS1 seems like a good plan.
unbreakable
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »

I used to use a front-end application for ePSXe called "ePSXeCuter.  It was quite good, and took a lot of the config hassles away.

LOL, I just fired up the game, and I still have my L99 endgame save on there.  Needless to say, I'll be starting over rather than using that.

[edit]  Hmm... I'm playing on a PS2, but the sound and music seems really "off".  Anyone else notice this?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 08:07:05 PM by unbreakable » Logged
warning

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2007, 11:32:13 PM »

I got about 2 hours in and wrote up my first post (including some screenshots): link.

Also, I think this game is calling to me in some way...

[attachment deleted by admin]
unbreakable
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2007, 12:09:56 AM »

Are you sure they don't mean these guys?
unbreakable
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2007, 02:27:33 AM »

Damn.  I tried it with ePSXe, and the sound is indeed much, much better.  However... there are a bunch of minor sound problems.  Tried dicking around with different plugins, but nothing helped much (and if I can't get the sound from winning the battle, it isn't really playing FF7).

Actually, I should probably just hook up the PSX, I don't think I'll be using the PS2 very much for a while anyhow.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »

I don't think the sound for FF7 is ever emulated perfectly in ePSXe.  For the most part it will be great but there are occasional quirks about it.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »

Would this run alright emulated on a laptop with:
3000+
GeForce4 Go 32mb
512mb ram

I tried it a long time ago on my desktop but it had a much better vid card. I have the PC version also but apparently its more than a little full of bugs.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
unbreakable
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »

You really have to tinker with it; so much of it depends on your specific hardware.

The bulk of my FF7 problems seem to be with the sound, however, and not actually with the graphics.  Strangely enough, it seems to run far better emulated than on the PS2, but there seems to be more slowdown in the fight transitions on the PC. 

Also, I can't get my gamepad to work with ePSXe.  But I though there was a plugin for it, but I neither have it nor can find it.  But after spending over an hour on it, it seems so much smarter to just go into my closet and grab the PSX, without needing to worry about either ePSXe or the PS2's flaky support.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2007, 05:04:20 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 03, 2007, 04:35:19 PM

Also, I can't get my gamepad to work with ePSXe.  But I though there was a plugin for it, but I neither have it nor can find it.  But after spending over an hour on it, it seems so much smarter to just go into my closet and grab the PSX, without needing to worry about either ePSXe or the PS2's flaky support.

That was my final verdict as well.   The hassle of actually getting ePSXe to work wasn't worth it.  It does seem to play fine on my PS2, however.  Just looks like crap on the 52" TV.

I had planned on putting a few hours into this yesterday, but the broken sprinkler pipes in my yard had different ideas.    icon_evil

unbreakable
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »

Damn it... I must have returned my friend's PSX.  Looks like I have to choose with either the weirdly off-key sound from the PS2, or with the glitchy sound from ePSXe.

Maybe I'll ask my friend if he can lend me his PSX again.  He only lives a few blocks away.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2007, 06:19:27 PM »

For what it's worth, if you're having problems with ePSXe you might give this emulator a try: http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

I've used it and it's pretty much no-muss, no-fuss.  It has great compatibility but it doesn't allow for the plugins like ePSXe that let you smooth the graphics out.

Edit:  I just tested it with FF7 and the sound is pretty much perfect.  Even going in and out of the battle transitions (which gives ePSXe the fits) it's smooth and not glitchy.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:34:35 PM by warning » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2007, 07:14:50 PM »

Sweet, thanks man.  I'll have to give that a try.

I'm not TOO concerned with the graphical enhancements, but having the sound effects and music all messed up were a real bad scene.  As long as it doesn't look worse than on the PSX, it's all good.

My real disappointment was with my PS2, however!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2007, 07:28:16 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 03, 2007, 07:14:50 PM

So strange that the PS2 can't emulate this one game properly. And here I thought the console had like 99% compatibility with PS1 games (and most of those were off-shoot games that weren't well known).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2007, 07:34:25 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 03, 2007, 07:28:16 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on June 03, 2007, 07:14:50 PM

So strange that the PS2 can't emulate this one game properly. And here I thought the console had like 99% compatibility with PS1 games (and most of those were off-shoot games that weren't well known).

i am currently playing final fantasy 7 on my PS2,have done many a time...no problems whatsoever

unbreakable
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2007, 07:43:40 PM »

Do you have the regular, or the slim?  Mine is the slim.  It works, it's just that the graphics look really pixelated (worse than on the PSX), and there is some really weirdness with the sound... it's kind of "off".

It works, and I still haven't decided whether I want to tough through it on the PS2 yet.

BTW, that emulator does a great job... but it handles the FMV -really- badly.  It also has some slowness on transitions (into fights, changing rooms), but that part may be my drive.  While I don't really want to play from an ISO, I do have the HD space, so I'll see if that fixes it.

Also, it works really well with my gamepad.  Other than the slowdown and FMV, it's pretty perfect!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:17:54 PM by unbreakable » Logged
warning

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2007, 09:42:18 PM »

Make an ISO of the game.  I think it'll run much better.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2007, 09:58:05 PM »

Yeah, I've played through FF7 on the PS2 (original, not slim) and never had a problem at all. 
unbreakable
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2007, 10:04:24 PM »

Hmm... I'm wondering if the method I'm using for displaying the PS2 is what's throwing it off.  I have everything going into a GameBridge, and it ends up piping the sound and video onto my computer.  Maybe the sound is getting thrown off because of that, and not because of the PS2.

I'll dig up another set of speakers and see if that's the problem.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2007, 12:01:42 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 03, 2007, 10:04:24 PM

Hmm... I'm wondering if the method I'm using for displaying the PS2 is what's throwing it off.  I have everything going into a GameBridge, and it ends up piping the sound and video onto my computer.  Maybe the sound is getting thrown off because of that, and not because of the PS2.

Depending on how exactly the audio/visual is being tossed into your PC, it could have a lot to do with it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2007, 02:20:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 04, 2007, 12:01:42 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on June 03, 2007, 10:04:24 PM

Depending on how exactly the audio/visual is being tossed into your PC, it could have a lot to do with it.

Well, the GameBridge is a USB device.  So I guess it all depends on how good the device's audio codec works.  Now I need to see if I have speakers which will accept the RCA audio inputs the PS2 uses.  I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure.  Is there a cable which converts 2 RCA into a mini-din?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2007, 03:32:49 AM »

yeah its the original PS2(not slim)...got it 2 weeks after launch

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »

Still haven't had time to locate the PSX version or start-just too busy. Targetting next weekend.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2007, 01:52:22 PM »

I was finally able to get in a couple hours last night.  This time through, Iím really trying to focus on the characters and the story.  The last couple times I played, I was so concerned about maximizing abilities, finding secrets, etc., that I simply glossed over the bulk of the story and dialog.   I really want to get a handle on the story and characters this time around.  The one thing that always frustrated me about the story is that whenever Cloud is hearing voices in his head, itís tough to figure out either a) who is talking, or b) who theyíre talking about.  There are a couple early game segments where this happens, and it still drives me nuts.

Shinra just collapsed the plate on Sector 7 last night.  (I assume weíre not going to bother with spoiler tags, since the game is 10 years old).  There is a short cinematic that I never really paid much attention to before.  The collapsing plate is shown through a Sector 7 residentís front room window.  They are obviously just sitting around watching TV, when suddenly the sky literally collapses and crushes an entire city.   You then see President Shinra looking out over the wreckage from the top of Shinra tower while an operatic score plays in the background.  The guy just killed thousands of people, and heís simply having a glass of wine while he looks out over the carnage.  Those Shinra folks are some seriously evil, heartless bastards.

Iíve really enjoyed the 4 hours Iíve put in so far, and should be able to get a few more hours in this week.  Itís good to start this one again.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2007, 02:12:54 PM »

I'm with you.  There's a lot about the story I never quite took the time to figure out.  Like the whole Cloud/Zack connection.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 04, 2007, 01:52:22 PM

Shinra just collapsed the plate on Sector 7 last night.  (I assume weíre not going to bother with spoiler tags, since the game is 10 years old).  There is a short cinematic that I never really paid much attention to before.  The collapsing plate is shown through a Sector 7 residentís front room window.  They are obviously just sitting around watching TV, when suddenly the sky literally collapses and crushes an entire city.   You then see President Shinra looking out over the wreckage from the top of Shinra tower while an operatic score plays in the background.  The guy just killed thousands of people, and heís simply having a glass of wine while he looks out over the carnage.  Those Shinra folks are some seriously evil, heartless bastards.

Iíve really enjoyed the 4 hours Iíve put in so far, and should be able to get a few more hours in this week.  Itís good to start this one again.

thats exactly where i am,i am just about to head for the shinra building and if i remember rightly go up those 600million flight of stairs that takes forever(!)

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2007, 09:42:51 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 04, 2007, 07:45:53 PM

Quote from: Gratch on June 04, 2007, 01:52:22 PM

thats exactly where i am,i am just about to head for the shinra building and if i remember rightly go up those 600million flight of stairs that takes forever(!)

Storm in the through the front doors, ya wuss.  slywink

unbreakable
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2007, 09:51:32 PM »

Do both: there is stuff hidden in the stairwell.
unbreakable
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2007, 12:32:27 AM »

Damn it.  I'm going to be a bit delayed on having time for this, just had a brand new hard drive crash.

The damned thing isn't even six months old, and I already moved all my stuff onto it.  AND it had a bunch of my recorded shows on it  mad mad mad
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2007, 05:18:11 AM »

hard luck Unbreakable,it is a complete bitch when that happens.....hope you get going soon

i am just about to leave Midgar via motorbike mini game(forgot the motorbike game that it resembles)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: