http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 05:48:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus Impressions  (Read 1190 times)
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:54:03 AM »

Didn't see a thread already started for this so here goes:

Picked this up and played for about an hour so far, beating the first mission.  While the game isn't perfect I think it's better than most of the reviews it's been getting.  The best parts about the game so far have been the story, the cutscenes and the customization.  The cutscenes so far have been some of the best Square has done.  The voice acting is pretty well done too.  The designs on the characters, particularly the new enemies is really well done. 

The gameplay is where the game gets mediocre.  It feels like they wanted to make a pure FPS, but somewhere along the way they decided they wanted a game more like Devil May Cry.  The result is an FPS with some action elements like kicking, jumping and combos thrown in.  It doesn't play as well as DMC and doesn't play quite as good as a pure FPS.  It's not bad and still pretty fun though. The weapon customization shines, however.  You get various components you can add to your weapon to customize it to your liking.  In the first level I found different barrel types, sniper scopes, and materia that you can add.  The materia add spell effects to the weapon.  There are also different weapons to be found and you can upgrade the overall weapon. 

All in all I'd say it was worth the purchase if your really into FFVII.  If not rent it first.  I'll post some more impressions after I put some more time into it tomorrow.

depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:09:57 AM »

Cool sounds good.  I actually went in today took the $5 I had down for it and moved it to Enchanted Arms.  I think I'm just going to wait until it hits $20 and pick it up.  But I'd be glad to hear some more impressions   icon_smile

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 05:24:20 AM »

awww what???....this game already out?...still have to wait until november for ours(the same day as zelda twilight princess and final fantasy 12...isnt that great planning??)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 06:10:01 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 17, 2006, 05:24:20 AM

awww what???....this game already out?...still have to wait until november for ours(the same day as zelda twilight princess and final fantasy 12...isnt that great planning??)

psssstt.... it's 'divine', not 'devine'  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:31:58 AM »

ugh...

what with the melee combat being pretty weak & the fact that i'm really uncomfortable with the targeting setup, i'm hereby shelving this til either my skills somehow miraculously improve or i have nothing better to play...

sincerely yours,
a ffvii fan  thumbsdown

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:41:41 AM »

Quote from: depward on August 17, 2006, 05:09:57 AM

I think I'm just going to wait until it hits $20 and pick it up.  But I'd be glad to hear some more impressions   icon_smile

Probably not a bad idea to wait till it hits $20.  I played through a few more levels tonight.  I'm having more fun with it as it goes.  The boss battles so far have been the best part of the game.  Well designed characters for the bosses, plus a bit of variety in how you fight them.  I gave up on meelee fighting all together, although there is a boss you have to use it on.  The main negatives I give the game are repetitive enemies.  You fight a lot of the same soldiers and dog creatures.  And in typical Square fashion there are a LOT of cinema's.  One level was so bad you'd fight 2 enemies, hit a movie, take a step fight and enemy and get another movie, rinse and repeat.  I'm still enjoying the story though, and the game play gets a bit more fun once you get used to it and get further in the game.

Bottom line though wait till it's a little cheaper.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 06:18:06 AM »

Need to page Moriarty in here.  Apparently she has already finished the game once.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »

overall, i'd say it played like a cross between Stand Alone Complex and Devil May Cry.  there's a little switching it up, like in SAC, and the hidden target thing was definitely SAC style.  unfortunately, the melee attacks are a little limited, and the difficulty levels of the game seem to depend almost entirely upon the way you customize your weapons (and, therefore, how thorough you are in exploring).  i mean, you'd be trucking along just fine, then hit a boss and suddenly have HUGE problems (for me, this was Rosso and Azul).  i discovered a little later in the game that this is mostly linked to the player's choices about XP vs. Gil and customization. 

for instance, there are certain enemies that can really only be handled with magic, and i had never leveled up my Materia boosting items for my guns, so those fights were excruciating for me.  but i'd turned Cerberus into the S Cerberus Zero, had a Faerie Long Barrel and an Auto Reloader,  and it turned out that i could outfire Nero in the first fight with him (i mean, holy s***, i was firing faster than in the movie!).  the Hard difficulty setting is no big step up, either, and the Very Hard difficulty setting lets you keep your customized guns; but the extra missions you can play after the main game are painful so far -- you get no items other than what you find in the mission, and i think Vincent's stats are Level 1 (no clue; all i know is that i got in there and i was like "where the hell are all my HP?!  saywhat"), but you get to keep your custom guns.  i've only made it to the 7th one i think.

the game was surprisingly short, but with the way the pacing was set up, it didn't seem that short; it seemed like it was about the right length.  since you kinda need to replay the hell out of the maps to find all the hidden targets, i'd say it's not too bad.  some hidden targets (like the damn cactuars) are awful, and some hidden targets just require you to turn and look at a certain time.  i've only found like 7 of the ones in the first chapter, and it looks like there's around 30. T~T

yes, the pacing is really as painful as faide says -- there are times where its fight two normal soldiers, cut scene, walk around the corner, cut scene, fight half a boss, cut scene.  but the movies are just sooooooo beautiful (especially the last few few before the end credits and the VERY last movie <3)...  even the normal cut scenes were pretty cool, and you have the option of skipping them (a la FFX-2, hurray!), so it's not all that bad.

story-wise, it was great (in my opinion, anyway). i even managed to like Lucrecia by the end (it was really sweet, and they got a good actress for her).  and omg Turk!Vincent is so cute and stringy and young.  XD  he looks like he must be about 17, and definitely a loser (but a cute loser, so i can't say i mind too much).  and is it just me, or does Cerberus seem a lot bigger in Advent Children? *shrug* oh well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
and OMG, the fake-out with the ending!  after the explosion when Chaos!Vincent rams Omega and we see the red mako floating down among all that normal mako, i was sitting there going "oh no, you did NOT just kill Vincent! there'd better damn well be an easter egg at the end of this!" and then, after the fricken credits were done, we get like 10 mins of 'real' ending.....*SIGH*.....although i was all 100% fangirly when they showed us the mysterious "G"...i love Gackt so much.  i adore his music, and he's a total badass. <3  i also liked that he had the other wing. w00t for Hojo's nature-violating experiments!

but that's enough from me; i have to pack up all my crap so i can move back into the dorms, and then i can get back to hunting down those hidden targets!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 01:01:52 PM by MerianMoriarty » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 01:07:18 PM »

Summoning complete.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

Man this game is getting hammered in its reviews.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/924449.asp

Avg Ratio:  56%   eek
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 09:59:14 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 18, 2006, 07:16:00 PM

And I thought that The Bouncer scored poorly. Eek indeed.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 02:53:51 PM »

okay, the hidden targets aren't as bad as i first thought; each target you hit unlocks a small group of cutscenes.  there are 20-odd cutscenes in the first chapter, but only 8 "memory capsules" to hit.

and the critics may hate it, but it's still #1 on the ps2 message board and ps2 faq pages at gamefaqs.  XD

for me, the only down-sides are the frustrating extra missions and the fact that it was kind of short (at least on Normal; but i get the feeling that i was playing below my skill on that, so it may not really be that short a game if you play at a level closer to your skill with shooters *shrug*).

(and it looks like jarrod has officially switched his job profile from ranger to summoner! i wonder if he takes an xp penalty for that? summoners have crap for movement squares, too....  XD;;  sorry, just a little (very little?  ^_^;) fftactics humor there...)

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 05:48:16 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 18, 2006, 07:16:00 PM

Wow.  I'm as big a FFVII as you'll find, but there's no way in hell I'm picking this up.  Sounds like it might not be worth it, even after the price drop.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 06:41:01 PM »

one more comment (having climbed back in for a few more missions & then bailed again): has there ever been a video game with a greater disparity between what your character is capable of when you're controlling him & what he's capable of in cutscenes than dirge of cerberus? the same guy that can perch on a steeple 15 stories up one moment can't leap off a wall into a courtyard the next, but instead has to (ulp!) use the stairs?! & you thought twin snakes was bad...

considering it's a shooter, maybe they should've just based the game around ("shit!") barret?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: