http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:01:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Final Fantasy VII coming back  (Read 1290 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:54:52 AM »

a possible leak about a re-release via Steam.  it'd be kinda cool if they did, since FFVII came out for the PC when I couldn't really run it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:26:14 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »

It's still baffling to me that Square hasn't updated FFVII for either PS3 or PSP/Vita or both.  Hell, they built half the assets already for the Crisis Core game, it couldnt be that big of a stretch.

Seems like it would be a license to print money from us nostalgic types.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:17:50 AM »

Yeah, and the original looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad now. Update.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:47:11 AM »

I'm in if they do the HD upgrade on it.  I would love to go back and play again.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »

Eh, it's a good way to get some money, but that's going to look dated.

I remember one of the first games I tried when I had a Voodoo II 3D card was FF7 running with that card's ridiculous anti-aliasing abilities. It actually made the game look good back then, managed to smooth out those jaggies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

The problem with the previous PC version of FFVII was that they re-rendered all the character models at hi res, but not the backgrounds.  So you had these ultra-sharp characters running around in front of blurry backgrounds.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »

confirmed.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:24:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 04, 2012, 05:45:03 PM

Wish they would have shown some actual screenshots instead of just the pre-rendered stuff.

Doubt I'll buy it (I've played through FF VII 4 times already), but it's cool to see them doing this. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 04, 2012, 07:24:59 PM

Wish they would have shown some actual screenshots instead of just the pre-rendered stuff.

Doubt I'll buy it (I've played through FF VII 4 times already), but it's cool to see them doing this. 

I thought it was going to be a straight port...graphics wise

The revamp will include now “a host of new online features”. Achievements are to be included, of which there are 36, as is something called the “Character Booster”.

“With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure,” said the site.

huh,why not just watch the whole thing on youtube Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:36:07 PM »

Reminds me, when I played the game on PC some 6 years ago I used a trainer that added SaveAnywhere. Very unusual trainer option.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »

What, did they show the TV commercials or something (which were 100% prerendered)? biggrin

Care level on this - zero. Not only is it a poor game, but Squenix is adding in store things to get even more money out of the people with this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 04:48:50 AM »

I actually applaud the Character Booster. Let's face it, some of us just don't want to grind in these older RPGs.  But moreso than that, there are real gamers out there who are more interested in the story of games, and less so about the mechanics.
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

I openly admit I cheated a lot with a trainer. I wanted to experience the entire game and complete it without getting too frustrated. Some of the end bosses in that game (especially the optional ones) are exceptionally crazy difficult. Abilities also open up that are so powerful they have their own 3D rendered cut scene of epic proportions. Maybe all this is common for Final Fantasy games, I can't say as FF7 is the only game in the series I've played.

The story and the atmosphere was quite nice and the game surprised me by being much more varied than I expected. There are lots of nice mini games, a sequence on a snowboard, and even a short RTS sequence. Normally I'm not compatible with RTS games, but luckily this one was short and cute enough for me to complete it. Tons of content and a unique experience, but in the end it still felt long and wearisome. A much shorter game would have been fine with me, and I was proud I at least managed to complete it once (even though I cheated with health).

And then I heard about a few acquaintances that not only completed the game, but did so a dozen times or more! This is completely incomprehensible to me given the fact that the game is as long as it is. They must have a different relationship with games. I've always had this "finished that, next please" thing with games myself.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »

I'm in for a HD remake

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 05, 2012, 01:27:22 AM

Care level on this - zero. Not only is it a poor game, but Squenix is adding in store things to get even more money out of the people with this.

You say it's poor like most people think like this, while it is your opinion it comes nowhere near the general consensus otherwise there would not be widespread calls for a hd remake.

Also shame on a business wanting to sell something and make money, totally despicable, next they will be forcing us to buy it whether we want to or not.

Roll Eyes

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 05, 2012, 01:27:22 AM

What, did they show the TV commercials or something (which were 100% prerendered)? biggrin

Yep.  I remember seeing a trailer for FF VII before a movie, which was unheard of back then.  It was all CGI cutscenes, but they were so jaw dropping that I ran out and bought a PS1 that afternoon without knowing a single thing about the game (or RPGs in general for that matter).

FFVII hasn't aged particularly well (mainly because it has been copied by every other JRPG since smile) but was wholly revolutionary for it's time.  I have a huge soft spot for it, since it was the game that introduced me to my favorite genre.  if I hadn't replayed it last year, I'd be all over this remake.  As is, I'm holding out for the inevitable full next-gen redo.  As wildly popular as FF VII is, you know it will eventually be coming.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »

The only thing 'revolutionary' about FFVII was its CGI cutscene use due to the storage mechanics of the system. The story was bland and generic, the characters were meh and stereotypical, the combat system worked well enough, but its overuse of unskippable cutscenes for its more powerful attacks means you fired off your powers then got a drink, and the whole thing just doesn't hold up (especially the very low-resolution visuals combined with polygon characters).

Oh, and the main reason it sold so well? The constant, constant, CONSTANT TV/movie ads EVERYWHERE showing 100% CGI footage. People were fooled into thinking it actually looked that good and snapped up the game and console because of it. Period. Like Gratch just said.

When Squenix said that they wouldn't redo FFVII until one of their games topped it, I just laughed. FFIV and FFVI (especially FFVI) were far superior games.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »

I would strongly disagree with you on nearly every one of those points*, but to each their own. 

*tough to argue that the CGI-heavy marketing blitz factored into it's success.  But if the game sucked, I doubt legions of fans would remember it so fondly 15 years on.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »

I was looking at the official site, specifically at the media section.  are those all cutscenes show there?

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 05, 2012, 06:46:12 PM

I was looking at the official site, specifically at the media section.  are those all cutscenes show there?

Having just replayed this game a few months ago,No,nearly none of them are cutscenes or even from cutscenes...The 'Sephiroth in flames' is(or at least that picture is based from the cutscene),and obviously the only one you can play is,The last one of Midgar could be from the opening scene that closes in and keeps flashing to the train that Avalanche are on,..but the others aren't,they seem to be Promo shots

The first two-I don't think Aeries ever saw the Highwind,and Marlene and Barret were never at the Church either(although they were there in the sequel 'Advent Children' Movie),Tifa was never that age at the Well in her town either when that cutscene plays(which is actually an ingame cutscene with pre-rendered background,so is not CGI anyway)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:17:41 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 05, 2012, 02:41:38 PM

The only thing 'revolutionary' about FFVII was its CGI cutscene use due to the storage mechanics of the system. The story was bland and generic, the characters were meh and stereotypical, the combat system worked well enough, but its overuse of unskippable cutscenes for its more powerful attacks means you fired off your powers then got a drink, and the whole thing just doesn't hold up (especially the very low-resolution visuals combined with polygon characters).

Oh, and the main reason it sold so well? The constant, constant, CONSTANT TV/movie ads EVERYWHERE showing 100% CGI footage. People were fooled into thinking it actually looked that good and snapped up the game and console because of it. Period. Like Gratch just said.

When Squenix said that they wouldn't redo FFVII until one of their games topped it, I just laughed. FFIV and FFVI (especially FFVI) were far superior games.

I think the story was pretty good, at least for the time.  I also think one of the reasons it sold so well, at least as I remember, was because they were tauting the large amount of gameplay hours one could expect, which was much higher than many people were used to seeing, compared to action/adventure games.

Personally, I always liked FF8 better.  I enjoyed the story and characters more, and liked the art direction much better.  it was a little less "cartoony".
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 04:21:23 AM »

Most of the images on the official site are promo images that were used on posters, magazine ads, etc. when it was originally released.  I have yet to see an actual in-game shot from this HD remake. 

Quote from: frost on July 06, 2012, 12:15:53 AM

Personally, I always liked FF8 better.  I enjoyed the story and characters more, and liked the art direction much better.  it was a little less "cartoony".

FF8 had so much potential and was completely crippled by the awful, awful 'Draw' system and the overly complex 'Junction' mechanic.  Junction was actually really cool once you figured it out, but the draw system was tedious beyond belief.  Shame really, as I really think it could have been one of the best modern FF titles.  I also think it's Uematsu's best soundtrack as well.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »

I don't think it is a HD remake Gratch,i think its just going to be the same game that has already been released on PC,but have those few features they mentioned(Cloud Saves,Achievements,Character boost),i have not actually read anywhere that it is an actual HD remake

I liked FF8,but the furthest i have got is the beginning of disc 4,i really should get that fixed(i didn't mind the draw system but hated the Junction system)

I enjoyed FF9 and 7 more

Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 10:18:24 AM »

I'd play through a remake of FFVII, but I imagine the graphics won't hold up well at all. That being said, I grew up on the SNES Final Fantasy games - FF3 (FFVI) will always be the high point of the series for me. I'm actually replaying it now, and after all the years I still enjoy a playthrough and am amazed at how long the game is. I'm sitting at over 24 hours played now, and haven't even begun the final part.

I also enjoyed FF9 and FF7 more than FF8 - the draw system and completely unsympathetic characters killed FF8 for me. FF9 was outstanding and my favourite PS1 JRPG. It was sublime.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »

Still have yet to finish this. Think I made it to the second disc during one attempt. Pretty sure I still have the ISO on my PSP so maybe I will load it up to try again. Just never got into it like others I guess.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 06, 2012, 12:14:54 PM

Still have yet to finish this. Think I made it to the second disc during one attempt. Pretty sure I still have the ISO on my PSP so maybe I will load it up to try again. Just never got into it like others I guess.

FWIW-the first disc is the longest and if you are just doing the story the 3rd disc is just a few hours long

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 06, 2012, 07:50:40 AM

I don't think it is a HD remake Gratch,i think its just going to be the same game that has already been released on PC,but have those few features they mentioned(Cloud Saves,Achievements,Character boost),i have not actually read anywhere that it is an actual HD remake

I thought I had read somewhere that it had been re-rendered in HD, but I think you're right.  I just sort of assumed they would at least beef up the resolution on the pre-rendered background art, otherwise it's going to look awful.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »

Am I the only one that laughs at the fact that this game supports Cloud Saves? I can't be the only one.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 06, 2012, 03:36:50 PM

Am I the only one that laughs at the fact that this game supports Cloud Saves? I can't be the only one.

Just don't name one of your saves "Aeris".

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 03:26:34 AM »

no microtransactions for Character Boost says Sqeenix.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

oops, they let it out a bit early.  I guess we'll see a release very soon.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 05, 2012, 07:27:07 PM

people on reddit were saying it has securom. :|
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 06, 2012, 09:42:07 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 05, 2012, 07:27:07 PM

people on reddit were saying it has securom. :|

As does the article CK linked.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 01:57:35 AM »

it's out now for $9.99 until September 12th, after which it goes up 2 bucks.  sadly no word if it will hit Steam.

Because I can,
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »

Anyone have this yet?  Any word on the resolutions available and did they fix the cut scenes?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: