http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:45:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy : The 4 Warriors of Light  (Read 3658 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

No One thinking a new Tactics Ogre? SE owns that franchise... the art style and character types fit.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on July 01, 2009, 12:19:06 PM

No One thinking a new Tactics Ogre? SE owns that franchise... the art style and character types fit.

That's certainly a possibility.  I'll check those soundtracks when I get home and see if anything matches what's on the site.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »

My memory's rusty on the Tactics Ogre franchise, but the music on the webpage isn't reminiscent of them to me at all. Also, there's only been two TO games so far, not three.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 01:17:43 PM »

I should note that if it's a new Tactics Ogre game and it's more like the original and less like the GBA entry, I will be ecstatic. biggrin

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 03:07:53 PM »

aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnd Magazine Scans spoil the whole game(and so do i somewhat for showing you this Tongue).....would ya know it,its a game for the DS Roll Eyes

again from Kotaku

Square Enix's mystery countdown title is a mystery no longer, as scans from the latest Weekly Shonen Jump reveal The Four Warriors of Light: A Final Fantasy Anecdote.

At least that's the way the game's name translates according to our own Brian Ashcraft, who pored over the scans to glean what information her could. The Four Warriors of light, the name of which was uncovered in a trademark filing earlier this month, is a traditional turn-based roleplaying game for the Nintendo DS that tells the story of a boy trying to save a princess. The scans contain scant details other than when you change equipment, your character's appearance changes, which is a feature that many RPG fans salivate over. This supplemental Final Fantasy adventure is on its way to Japan this fall.

Now that we know what the countdown image will eventually look like, we can go back to doing more productive things in the middle of the night, like sleeping.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:09:39 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »

the Capcom one now has 1560 crossed out,1573 crossed out,1583 crossed out(4 times)..and now 1600 in gold

but as EddieA says its prolly Onimusha

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »

Final Fantasy-based tactical RPG for the DS?  Sold!!!    drool

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2009, 03:35:04 PM

?

it says 'Traditional Turn-based'...unless that's what you mean by tactical...but other than that,seems like the same stuff they have been dishing out for the last few years,not that thats bad,i quite like FF3 and 4 on the DS

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 01, 2009, 04:02:06 PM

?

it says 'Traditional Turn-based'...unless that's what you mean by tactical...but other than that,seems like the same stuff they have been dishing out for the last few years,not that thats bad,i quite like FF3 and 4 on the DS

Doh!  I read it wrong...

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2009, 04:08:34 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 01, 2009, 04:02:06 PM

?

Doh!  I read it wrong...

aahh,that's a shame i was hoping i had misread it,LOL

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »

The Four Warriors of light, the name of which was uncovered in a trademark filing earlier this month, is a traditional turn-based roleplaying game for the Nintendo DS that tells the story of a boy trying to save a princess.

Well, I didn't misread it - why, look!  It's a brand new game genre with an original story idea too! Wowie...  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on July 01, 2009, 05:56:17 PM

The Four Warriors of light, the name of which was uncovered in a trademark filing earlier this month, is a traditional turn-based roleplaying game for the Nintendo DS that tells the story of a boy trying to save a princess.

Well, I didn't misread it - why, look!  It's a brand new game genre with an original story idea too! Wowie...  Roll Eyes

LOL,because that's all there is to do in Fantasy land...no Xbox 360/PS3s you see icon_biggrin

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »

Yeah, this whole thing sort of screams "uninspired FF cash-in" to me.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »

lol what's up with SE's titles now? anecdote is really in the title? that doesn't make any sense.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 01, 2009, 06:44:49 PM

lol what's up with SE's titles now? anecdote is really in the title? that doesn't make any sense.

i am hoping that is bad translation on that Kotaku guys part

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 01, 2009, 06:23:00 PM

LOL,because that's all there is to do in Fantasy land...no Xbox 360/PS3s you see icon_biggrin

Guess I'll take the opposite view and say that it sounds promsing because we actually don't get many JRPGs these days with that level of innocence or simplicity.  This game is clearly a take on the simpler stories of the 8 and 16 bit generations.  The writing needs to be up to the task but there is plenty of room for a charming and witty adventure with the premise. 
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »

LOL,because that's all there is to do in Fantasy land...no Xbox 360/PS3s you see icon_biggrin!

Okay, Metal... now you are going just Too Far -  you're scaring me!  icon_eek

I think I'm going to find a funeral service that offers - not cryogenics - no Ted Williams frozen head for me (!) but at least an in-coffin HDTV.  My only problem with that plan is that I doubt the coffin - here, being used as an actual "resting place," not a 360 returning device - would be able to hold all the games I'd want to play in perpetuity.  Yeah, I know I play some games for hundreds of hours more than most folk, but still - we're talking Eternity here!  icon_eek  I haven't taken Physics, Astronomy, or Philosophy in decades, but I'm reasonably sure that Eternity means - at the very least - a really, really long time...

Quote from: Metallicorphan
Yeah, this whole thing sort of screams "uninspired FF cash-in" to me.

Probably that is exactly what it is, but some folks don't care - evidence: the proliferation of both FF games, and Pokemon games! Not that that is a Bad Thing (for some gamers.)  The more people in the party, regardless of their interests and abilities, can only help the growth and accessibility of gaming, really.  So what if the Wii sells lots of cooking games, brain games, and "family entertainment" games - it's still all good, imo.  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »

The Japanese name is Four Warriors of Light : Final Fantasy Gaiden.  I've always seen Gaiden translated as "side story" rather than anecdote, but I would guess the English name will use some other word.  They called Chocobo Tales a "Final Fantasy Fable" so I would guess something along those lines.

I like the idea of a retro-style FF game.  As much as I love epic RPGs with complicated battle systems, it's nice to have a simple, old-fashioned game once in a while too.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 01, 2009, 03:07:53 PM

aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnd Magazine Scans spoil the whole game(and so do i somewhat for showing you this Tongue).....would ya know it,its a game for the DS Roll Eyes

You know, Square (and/or anybody that has had this happen to them) must HATE it when this happens. Doh!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 01, 2009, 08:34:03 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 01, 2009, 03:07:53 PM

You know, Square (and/or anybody that has had this happen to them) must HATE it when this happens. Doh!

Yup, that must be absolutely correct.  We can only hope it pays them back enough for some of those ridiculously difficult games - that I hate to love (or vice versa).

Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 10:29:58 PM »

Well, I'm decidedly underwhelmed, and I LOVE old-school classic retro-style console rpg's. I was rather hoping for something newer...

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2009, 01:07:26 AM »

The characters in that middle shot look like they belong on South Park :/
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »

Woohoo, another Japanese game where you control a bunch of kids who aren't old enough to buy a beer even if they add their ages together. Consider me surprised.

No wait, consider me out!
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2009, 10:00:50 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 01, 2009, 03:17:24 PM

the Capcom one now has 1560 crossed out,1573 crossed out,1583 crossed out(4 times)..and now 1600 in gold

but as EddieA says its prolly Onimusha

Well now it says Basara 3 (2010).  A quick search indicates that might be Devil Kings 3 in the west.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2009, 11:38:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 02, 2009, 06:42:39 PM

Woohoo, another Japanese game where you control a bunch of kids who aren't old enough to buy a beer even if they add their ages together. Consider me surprised.

This stuff cracks me up.  I'm going to start dropping into all the FPS game threads and saying "Wooo, another space marine/WW II shooter with ridiculous macho men and chicks in skimpy clothing.  Consider me surprised." and see how quickly I get flamed.   icon_twisted

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 04:46:38 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 02, 2009, 11:38:19 PM

This stuff cracks me up.  I'm going to start dropping into all the FPS game threads and saying "Wooo, another space marine/WW II shooter with ridiculous macho men and chicks in skimpy clothing.  Consider me surprised." and see how quickly I get flamed.   icon_twisted

You do that. I'll be right there next to you saying the same thing. Character design in games is generally pretty bad these days.

Having said that, character design in Japanese games is much worse. It reflects the common Japanese stereotype of trying hard not to be different and just repeating what worked before. It's so bad that I got pleasantly surprised that the new Castlevania game actually features a protagonist that looks like he's about 40, with a European look and without being overly macho. I didn't know the Japanese even knew what that looked like. :p
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 03, 2009, 04:46:38 AM

Quote from: Gratch on July 02, 2009, 11:38:19 PM

This stuff cracks me up.  I'm going to start dropping into all the FPS game threads and saying "Wooo, another space marine/WW II shooter with ridiculous macho men and chicks in skimpy clothing.  Consider me surprised." and see how quickly I get flamed.   icon_twisted

You do that. I'll be right there next to you saying the same thing. Character design in games is generally pretty bad these days.

Having said that, character design in Japanese games is much worse. It reflects the common Japanese stereotype of trying hard not to be different and just repeating what worked before. It's so bad that I got pleasantly surprised that the new Castlevania game actually features a protagonist that looks like he's about 40, with a European look and without being overly macho. I didn't know the Japanese even knew what that looked like. :p

OH, YEAH?  You two are jerks, idiots, trollers, morons, mouth-breathers, imbeciles, and - and - umm, every other bad thing anyone in history has ever been called!  Bolsheviks! Bohemians! Not to mention - sorry, can't say that one, I said I wouldn't mention it...   

I'm just trying to make it easier on both of you - now you don't have to search (or wait) for the flames. 

You're welcome!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »

Having said that, character design in Japanese games is much worse.

I think you're saying something different from what you mean. What you mean is that character design in Japanese games is less appealing to you. It's not arbitrarily worse than that in shooter games, as Gratch was pointing out. icon_wink

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2009, 07:44:30 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on July 03, 2009, 10:10:23 PM

I think you're saying something different from what you mean. What you mean is that character design in Japanese games is less appealing to you. It's not arbitrarily worse than that in shooter games, as Gratch was pointing out. icon_wink

Of course! Anything else would be kind of stupid of me to assume. :p

Still, I think the general Japanese approach to character design is so horrible that it's approaching fact territory. slywink I guess this is the time to mention that I can't stand anime either, for much of the same reasons (and the fact that 90% of Japanese storytelling is about science (evil!) vs nature (good!)).
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 04, 2009, 07:44:30 AM

Still, I think the general Japanese approach to character design is so horrible that it's approaching fact territory. slywink I guess this is the time to mention that I can't stand anime either, for much of the same reasons (and the fact that 90% of Japanese storytelling is about science (evil!) vs nature (good!)).

I pick up a lot of "man vs. nature" vibe from anime, but science vs. nature?  Must have missed that one.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 04, 2009, 02:20:24 PM

I pick up a lot of "man vs. nature" vibe from anime, but science vs. nature?  Must have missed that one.

I guess those are two sides of the same coin. Science is always done by mankind in these stories, and there's usually a scientist or two behind the bad things that happen.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 04, 2009, 07:44:30 AM

I don't think you watch enough anime. smile

Anime and manga are about everything possible just like western tv series or movie. There are anime about nature like you said but they're not as common as you think.

There are anime about baseball, basketball, swimming, soccer, etc.
There are anime about cooking or baking.
There are anime about love and friendship.
There are anime about martial arts.
There are anime about newlywed trying to have sex.
There are anime about music (From classical to rock).
There are anime about fairy tale.
There are anime about tourism.
There are anime about alien invasion (From stupid/comedy to serious science fiction to porn).
There are anime about fetish.
There are anime about growing up.
There are anime about slices of life.
There are anime about mental health problem.
There are anime about addiction.
There are anime about giant robot.
Then there are anime porn which can be in any of the category.
Plus other anime storylines that I can't remember or don't know about.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »

The game has been "revealed" at the website now, but there's not much there other than some Japanese text.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2009, 03:04:34 AM »

Some more details about the game.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 09, 2009, 03:04:34 AM

Some more details about the game.

Man, I'm having trouble generating any interest in this at all.   frown

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »

Here's a video of the game in action.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2009, 01:50:17 PM »

You sure do run around a lot...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 10, 2009, 01:50:17 PM

You sure do run around a lot...

they should change to 'Run, Big Headed Freak, Run'.  icon_mrgreen

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »

Well, it has a cute factor... no denying that.  I'll wait for some actual game play footage or an Impressions thread though.  I still have Animal Crossing - if I need some cute, I'll just go visit one of my towns. At least there is fishing!  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »

When I read the producers comments and viewed that trailer, the immediate impression I got is that this will have more adventure game elements in it that other recent FF games. The game has a very Zelda'ish look to my eyes and getting most of the story via NPC interaction sounds like it will have a western RPG bent. I'm not sure if that's retro or classic as I hardly played any of the NES and SNES FF games; other than the DS reboot of III.

I must say, although not being thrilled by the character models, I really liked the visual style. After that trailer I know my daughter will eat this game up and if it has Teen or lower rating I'll buy it day 1 for her.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: