http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:01:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced  (Read 1866 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2005, 10:45:01 PM »

Ok, now that Zelda is out of my GBA backlog, I am very interested in trying to track this one down. (It seems to have become quite scarce since the FF1-2 GBA game came out.) Anyway, I know I have read several people around here talk about how it's their favorite, most addictive GBA game. Could some of you fans please explain why it's so great to me? My guess is it's a Japanese styled turn based RPG. What makes it so special and so much better than the others? (I'm not disputing the claim, I am genuinely interested in what makes it so great!) Thanks! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:40:54 PM »

very hard to say smile ...

it was either my first or second gameboy title, & i'd never played the original (which i quickly did right after - enjoyed it as well, but not as much)...

ffta has a nice childlike, dreamy (& effortlessly self-referential) vibe, story/graphic/music -wise, that is amazingly consistent from beginning to end. so, that's one thing. another thing is the gameplay itself: very intuitive, very customizable (5 races, lots of job combos), challenging but not over-powering, with a close to perfect difficulty curve. & then there's the missions - 300 of'm, most obviously side-quests, all unique - & the rival clan thing, & the judgement system, & the totemas - just typing about it now makes me smile slywink ...

it all just works together so damn well - it's as close to my idea of a flawless game as any i've ever played. it never bored me & always delighted me. it's a work of strategy game art...

& it's also a look-in at the creative team & world (ivalice) of the upcoming ff12, so that's a nice little bonus reason to check it out...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 02:36:19 AM »

Very disappointing game. Doesn't even begin to hold a candle to the original.

The graphics are very nice.

The classes suck, nearly all of them are useless, and most classes share way too many abilities (meaning two or more classes get the same skill) The truly unique skills are mostly useless.

The battles are so easy, it isn't even funny; the only challenge comes from judgements, which are both stupid and annoying.

Music isn't memorable.

Story is laughable at best(some cute stuff that was kind of funny), could be forgiven if the gameplay was up-to-par.

It is worth playing, but I'm ticked a bought it new for $30, $15 would have been better.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 02:41:33 AM »

Great game. Ive put around 70+ hours into mine. It can get easy later on i the game, but it seems to be about the right difficulty for me. I have really enjoyed this game.

What makes it great to me is the classes, and just trying to make my clan powerful as a unit. That gets tricky because I am trying to have one of each class (well, and some witha  class as their secondary).

The story is interesting, but not thrilling. What keeps me there is just advancing my characters. The only thing I dont like is that it gets very difficult to buy new items later on. You just have to wait until you stumble across them, that I dont like.

Overall, a great game for the gba. Fun little title that you can pick up and play for a second, or play for hours (it has a sleep function during battles, which is nice so you can play for short periods of time as well.)
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 05:18:00 AM »

So like....   To be honest, I got the emulator for the PC to test it out before I got it for the GBA...   I like the GBA version, since well, I enjoy thinking/strategy games, IE Disgaia, Geomancer, etc.  

But it's so Durn slow to play after you have played the emulator where you can ramp up the gamespeed by over 300%, making even the most complex spells/skills take no time at all...

That being said, I've spent countless hours on both versions... it's a great little game.  It'll never win game of the year awards, but every now and then you just want to spend a few hours and just enjoy something, this game is great.  Road trips, plane trips, no psp... then this one is a surefire winner for such occasions.  If it only fufilled my RPG quotient, this game would have damn near everything I needed in a GBA game...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 06:54:06 AM »

Anyone played both FFTA and Tactics Ogre for the GBA?  Which did you like better?  I understand that Tactics Ogre factors in things like terrain height and the direction you attack from (eg. from behind); does FFTA?
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 08:14:10 AM »

Yes it does. Height and direction facing does come into play.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 08:31:58 AM »

I like this one alot. I`m not usually a big fan of turnbased stuff but this is lots of fun for me.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 08:44:51 AM »

I am *so* tempted to grab a gba just to take this game around with me and whatnot...

TheMissingLink on PSN
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 02:03:14 PM »

Quote from: "Draco"
Anyone played both FFTA and Tactics Ogre for the GBA?  Which did you like better?  I understand that Tactics Ogre factors in things like terrain height and the direction you attack from (eg. from behind); does FFTA?

I found Tactics Ogre to be much, much better.  I liked only having humans for the characters so any character could (with by meeting the right conditions) become any class.  

With FFTA you are forced to have members of each race because they become specific classes.  However most of the classes do suck and often I only stayed in a class to get one specific skill then reverted back to the best class.  

I will say that the story in TO was harder to understand but the combat was much more rewarding.

The judgements really ruined it for me with FFTA.   They were only binding on the player, they were easily avoided by simply waiting a few days to go to a location, and they ultimately meant nothing.  

All in all I felt TO had much more depth and better combat, but a weaker story.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 02:58:58 PM »

FFTA was by far my favorite game for the GBA.  I probably dumped close to 90 hours into it before I put it away.  The story is pretty weak, but I found the gameplay and individual character development to be fantastic.  My only complaint about it was the stupid law system.  Toward the end of the game, the laws start getting very restrictive and you are usually dealing with more than one at a time.  That got really annoying.

I wasn't too crazy about TO.  Honestly, I don't think I gave it much of a chance (about 6 hours worth), but it didn't grab me at all.  I found the more individualized combat of FFTA to be much more enjoyable.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 03:55:54 PM »

Didn't really care for it, to be honest.  I felt like to really advance in the game, I had to spend a full-on 75% of the time staring at inventory screens and swapping weapons around (your characters get new abilities from using different weapons).  Plus, I felt it got bogged down with too many random encounter-type deals you had to worry about.  The battles are fun, but I'd definitely recommend Tactics Ogre above this one.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 04:50:10 PM »

Two more things that bugged me.

1. getting abilities from weapons.  It was teadious because each time you got a new weapon you needed to check for what abilities each job could learn then switch to that job, learn ability, switch back to other job etc.   So rather than worrying about your job you had to always track the equipment as well.     That was a lot of micro managment for little reward.

2. The rediculous amount of points needed for some skills.  I know they were powerful skills but come on!  Basically it required playing a lot of extra battles just to pick up a skill.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 06:51:43 PM »

Wow, hard to believe so many of you have negative views of this game.  I think it is fantastic.  Easily the best RPG/strategy game for the GBA.  I have over 80 hours into the game and I'm still playing.  I do not like difficult games and this one is perfectly balanced, imo.  I have used no walkthroughs or strat guides.  I have learned everything on my own, which I think is more fun in this game's case.  It is cool when you finally find out how to get your characters to new uber classes.  I love all the items and finding out what they do.  That is more fun than the actual story line.  The laws add another depth of strategy to the game.  A new layer of strategy.  That is why it is important to have all the different classes in your party.  I have around 20+ members and nobody is the same.  You just have to pick the right classes based on the current laws.  Easy.  Never a problem for me.  

I love this game and I can't wait for the new one, hopefully there will be a new one soon!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 04:48:04 PM »

I found this used at an EB a couple nights ago (my first sighting of this game in ANY store in weeks) and picked it up. So far I have... read the manual. lol. I tried to start it last night, but when they were trying to explain to me how to snowball fight, my eyes were drooping and I had to go to sleep. smile

I'll post some impressions when I actually get a chance to try it out!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 06:35:19 PM »

***Spoilers***************

Well, im on the last boss, and Square has done something they do almost every game. I have to beat the last boss about 3 times. 3 fights for the last boss!! What the hell is up with that. I hate that about Square and their games. The game is easy all along, no problems, then you get to the bosses, and they make you fight them three times, and they are hard core. This was the same with FF:CC. It just pisses me off to no end. I hate games that do that. What the hell is up with square?For how much I loved this game to begin with, I now hate it. I hate it I tell you! It is complete crap that I have to find the end boss 3 times in a row. And not only that it made me save right before, and Now I have to beat the boss because I cant even go back into the map. Square, you are a bunch of bastards making great games till then end! Then they suck. Done with my rant now.

*****End Spoilers******
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 11:46:08 PM »

It just pisses me off to no end. I hate games that do that. What the hell is up with square?For how much I loved this game to begin with, I now hate it. I hate it I tell you!

then, for god's sake, don't play minish cap! (or any zelda game for that matter)...

square ain't the only one...

spoiler...

i remember the ffta final boss being nasty, but i'm pretty sure i beat her first try (2 at most) - concentrate on clobbering her & ignore the henchmen in the final stage, i think...

end spoiler...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 02:08:46 AM »

Yeah, ive only tried once so far, im sure I can do it again. For some reason the Zelda games dont bug me, but for some reason the two final fantasy gaems drive me crazy. Maybe because it makes you save before you fight them. Grr....
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 01:04:07 PM »

Maybe because it makes you save before you fight them. Grr....

i see what you're saying - zelda does allow you to back out at that point & run around a while longer if you want, even tho, if you've gotten that far, there's not a whole lot you can really do (other than finding more heart pieces) to make the battle itself easier...

good luck...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: