http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 07:33:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy sales chart comparison  (Read 2315 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »

I came across this link and found it rather interesting.  I have no idea how accurate it is (or even what language it's in), but it looks pretty feasible.  Oh,

Japonya Satışları = Japanese Sales
Diğer ‹lkeler = Other countries
Toplam Satış Rakamı = Total Sales
«ıkarılmadı = Not released

The fact that FFVII sold nearly 10 million copies blows my mind.  Even at an average price of $30 (not sure what the percentage of original vs. GH is, so let's go with $30), that's $300 million dollars from a single game.  I guess I just never realized what a huge hit it really was.  I know it's probably the most accessible game in the series and was a technical wonder at the time, but RPG's are usually not a mass-market type of game.  I'm also curious how that compares to some of the other heavy hitters in the gaming market (i.e. Madden, Halo, GTA, etc.)

I'll be very interested to see how XII ends up.  I'm hugely excited for it, but the real time system is certainly going to be a radical change in the series.  It's something I'm very skeptical of, but I'm sure it will be implemented well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:23:30 PM by Gratch » Logged

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 06:06:04 PM »

The third one should be total, right?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:10:07 PM »

Yup.

EDIT:  Duh, just realized I goofed the original post.  It's been corrected.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:23:58 PM by Gratch » Logged

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »

I'll be very interested to see how XII ends up.  I'm hugely excited for it, but the real time system is certainly going to be a radical change in the series.  It's something I'm very skeptical of, but I'm sure it will be implemented well.

I'm looking forward to it too, despite the demo. While the real-time combat struck me as fine in concept (basically a clone of KOTOR's system), the controls were absolutely horrid. It took way too many button presses to do anything. and micromanaging the party became a pain. Given the reviews and word-of-mouth for the Japanese version though, I'm forced to believe that either they streamlined the combat system or that the gambit system makes micromanagement unnecessary.

Although, even if I hate the battle system, at least FF III DS is coming out soon and should satisfy any of my old-school FF turn-based combat cravings. I was reading some previews and the game just looks fantastic. The graphics really remind me of FFIX, which is my favorite FF by far.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:18:45 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:23:15 PM »

Given the reviews and word-of-mouth for the Japanese version though, I'm going to assume that either they streamlined the combat system somewhat or that the gambit system makes micromanagement unnecessary.

Everything I've heard is that it takes a couple of hours for the combat system to click so I don't think it's surprising that it doesn't demo well.  I've seen it described as "yawn", followed by "hmmm, this is kind of cool", to "OMFG, Awesome!!!! Best Combat System EVAR!!!" a few hours later. 

I'm looking forward to the gambits myself.  There are so many times in RPGs where I find myself using the same strategy repeatedly that I really wished they had a sort of learning system where the game notices that everytime I fight a certain enemy I use certain attacks and weapons or heal at a given point, etc.  The fun in these games for me is initially finding a good strategy that works well, but once I've found that strategy, I like that FFXII will let me automate that so battles go quicker and let me think about other aspects of the game since I'm not bogged down in that minutia.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:39:15 PM »

The language is Turkish and its a very interesting chart. I just wanted to throw in my comments with Kevin and say I agree about FF12-I am very excited for the gambits and I think the demo wasn't long enough to showcase them properly.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 05:29:35 AM »

see,if number 7 has sold so well...wouldnt it be BAD business...NOT to do a remake/updated version for current next gen?(or maybe toned down version for DS)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 01:13:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 27, 2006, 05:29:35 AM

see,if number 7 has sold so well...wouldnt it be BAD business...NOT to do a remake/updated version for current next gen?(or maybe toned down version for DS)

Despite Square's repeated denials, I would be very, very surprised if we didn't eventually see a FFVII remake for one of this hardware gen systems.  Hell, it would practically give them the license to print money, so why wouldn't they do it?  I do wonder, however, if they're waiting to do one until they see how the hardware wars shake out.  If the PS3 actually ends up as gloom and doom as some are predicting, maybe we'll see the remake on the PSP or DS instead.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 01:24:12 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 27, 2006, 05:29:35 AM

Remakes typically sell less than the original though.  And when you see the numbers on something like FFX, there's no guarantee that a FF7 remake will exceed an original Final Fantasy entry.

A DS remake would be interesting though.  I don't see a PSP remake happening considering the relative weakness of the PSP to the DS in Japan. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 02:16:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 27, 2006, 01:24:12 PM

A DS remake would be interesting though.  I don't see a PSP remake happening considering the relative weakness of the PSP to the DS in Japan. 

At this point, I'll take Final Fantasy anything for the DS.  FF III can't get here soon enough.  What I would really kill for is a FF Tactics sequel (or remake) on the DS.  Man, that would be sweet.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 03:07:18 PM »

I think Square did a good job of marketing VII to non RPG players.  On a personal level I don't care for JRPGs at all and somehow I own 2 copies.  It reminds me of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantam Menace.  I hated the move yet somehow I saw it in the theater twice, bought it on VHS and own 2 copies on DVD. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 03:40:46 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 27, 2006, 03:07:18 PM

I think Square did a good job of marketing VII to non RPG players.  On a personal level I don't care for JRPGs at all and somehow I own 2 copies.  It reminds me of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantam Menace.  I hated the move yet somehow I saw it in the theater twice, bought it on VHS and own 2 copies on DVD. 

I think you should have your head examined by a medical professional.  nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 08:22:05 PM »

And FFVII remains the most grossly overrated RPG of this generation...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 08:50:57 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 27, 2006, 08:22:05 PM

Says you.  I think it's one of the best, if not the best.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 10:34:52 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 27, 2006, 08:22:05 PM

it's a good console Jap RPG.  if you're comparing it to PC RPGs, that's not really apples to apples
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »

I was just trying to figure what he meant by 'this'.  FF7 was a full generation ago, and is on the doorstep of being TWO generations ago.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 11:29:20 PM »

slightly off-topic, but did anyone else get their monstrous (move over phone directory - there's a new book in town) brady ffxii guide today?!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 05:19:47 AM »

I think Square did a good job of marketing VII to non RPG players. 

i was introduced to real RPGs when i first played number 7 on the ps1...i dont think i had really played any serious ones before,fell in love with it....never looked back

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 01:43:06 PM »

The only real reason IMHO that Final Fantasy 7 did so insanely well was because Square absolutely flooded the CRAP out of TV advertising with the game. You couldn't watch a 30 minute TV show without seeing two commercials for the game.

Which were 100% CGI mind you. They showed absolutely no gameplay, so people thought the game was this crazy action type game that looked mindblowingly good.

That is why it sold so well.

And as an old-school gamer, the game was crap compared to the likes of Final Fantasy 6.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 28, 2006, 01:43:06 PM

The only real reason IMHO that Final Fantasy 7 did so insanely well was because Square absolutely flooded the CRAP out of TV advertising with the game. You couldn't watch a 30 minute TV show without seeing two commercials for the game.

Which were 100% CGI mind you. They showed absolutely no gameplay, so people thought the game was this crazy action type game that looked mindblowingly good.

That is why it sold so well.

That's why I bought it.  Then I was bored to tears playing it.  Then I read people saying how good it was. So I bought it again thinking I just didn't play long enough to "get it."  Then I realized that JRPGs are not my cup of tea.  paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: