http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:22:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Advance [gba]  (Read 1377 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2005, 08:28:42 AM »

Who else is getting it?!  I sure am even though I've played through the game now numerous times on the SNES and PSX.  FFIV is one of the best role-playing games of all time.  It incorporates an interesting story (albeit a pretty "cliché" storyline) with interesting characters, active-time based battle, and more.

I've read about the moderate slowdown in battles sometimes and I'm cool with that.  I sloshed my way through the dang PSX port (which, the loading times weren't anywhere as bad as Chrono Triggers) so it won't bother me.

Inclusions such as the bonus dungeon are just icing on the cake!  If you haven't ever played a "retro" Final Fantasy game and consider yourself an RPG fan, then FFIV would be a great time-sink for you.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 09:10:51 AM »

Yes, I'm thinking I will be getting this.  When is it out?  Today?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:13:30 AM »

I'll definitely get it eventually, but I'm still working my way through Dawn of Souls, so it will probably be awhile.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:16:57 PM »

It's $26.88 this week at Target.

I haven't played it, but I'll probably skip it since I have the Playstation version.  Still tempting, though.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »

I definitely will be buying this.  I never had a playstation, so I'm a newbie to all FF games.  Very excited about picking it up this week!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 02:03:12 PM »

I'll be picking it up, but not until January.  I've hit my limit on game purchases this month!

I'm a sucker for the FF games, especially the old NES/SNES ones, and I love having them on the GBA.  I got the Chronicles edition on the PSX a long time ago, but the loading times and distortion of the music rather annoys me.  slywink  If the battle slowdown is minor, it won't bother me.

I'm also glad to see the bonus dungeon getting thrown in much like the ones in Dawn of Souls; that'll be a blast to play through as well.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
KC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 02:50:22 PM »

$25 this week at Circuit City
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 03:28:08 PM »

Does this FF have a black mage with the pointy hat?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 05:12:25 PM »

No.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 06:34:52 PM »

Does it have a Spoony Bard?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 06:57:01 PM »

Yes.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 07:30:39 PM »

I'll be picking this one up right before my trip.  Metroid Pinball & Trauma Center are fun, but I need an RPG I can sink my teeth into while I'm away for a week.  I've never played it before, and it's been getting good reviews, so I can't wait!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 08:09:48 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I'll be picking this one up right before my trip.  Metroid Pinball & Trauma Center are fun, but I need an RPG I can sink my teeth into while I'm away for a week.  I've never played it before, and it's been getting good reviews, so I can't wait!

You'll love it Gratch.

Just picked it up.  I'm SO glad they have the great artwork on the cover.  My brother and I were talking - if there were paintings of this sort of artwork (I like FFVI's artwork even MORE) I would definately shell out money to have it at my place.  That would be so awesome!

FuSoYa rocks my world.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 08:41:11 PM »

Picking it up tomorrow.  Despite having played the SNES version last year I can't wait.  And after playing a lot of emulated RPGs on the PSP I'm probably immune to battle slowdown.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 08:44:04 AM »

So picked it up and played about two hours.  Here are my thoughts:

I'm wizzing through this game.  Either it's because Cecil HAULS now or just that I know where to go.  But Cecil books it around in this GBA version.

Everything looks good!  Quite amazing they jam-packed this title into a GBA cartridge.  Sprites look great.

Some graphical misshaps though, which are probably that way due to the GBA hardware.  When you defeat enemies, it's kind of like a "zap!" sort of weird sound and a weird disappearing transition.  I dunno, it DOES work, but it's a bit changed.

Battle.  New active-time bar.  Sweetness.  Though, for some odd reason, in battle while you're waiting, your bars will periodically just stop and "hiccup" for about a second or so.  I'm guessing it's because of the GBA hardware and such.  But KIND OF annoying but really, not so much.

Music!  FFIV has some of the best music there is in an RPG and it retains the quality.  I've read complaints, but get some headphones, plug them in, and it sounds quite good!

Kain's "thud" after a jump sounds more like a "zip!" or something, but hey, that's fine.

So yeah!  Very much the same with some differences!  The translation seems better too.  Such things as having Cecil say, "Damnation!" one time which I don't believe was on the PSX version.  From the screenies I saw earler, I didn't really like the text font.  But it works quite nicely.  I mean, it looks like it suffers from a bit of some graphical downgrades (not really a spoiler, but let's say that there are less "fog patches" during that "intro" to the first little quarrel.  Just that sort of thing!  NO biggie really whatsoever!), but all in all it seems like a fantastic port.  And one that I'm happy to have to play on the go!

Now, I really wonder how great of a port FFVI will be because it is quite a graphical leap from FFIV . . .

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 03:38:07 PM »

I'm looking forward to FF 3 for the DS, that looks amazing. I just wish they'd do ff 7,8 and 9 for PSP.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »

my first time playing, & why am i instantly enjoying this more than dragon quest viii (which i'm still trying to like, having made it past the first boss to the next town)?...

really glad i finally got it - the perfect alternative between bouts of ac:ww...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 11:15:31 PM »

Just started playing last night.  I love how quick that little bastard runs around the screen!

Noticed the hiccups in the active bar thing.  I wondered if this is when enemies were doing something, but since they don't attack at the time I guess not.

I got past the first real encounter into the town beyond and thought I lost the game. :lol:

The theme song is terrific!  How many FF games do they use this in?  I swear they must have it in FF1&2 for the GBA because it sounds so familiar.  Listening to it on the mono GBA speaker takes me back to the good old days.

A nice diversion that will likely drain away the hours by the bucketload like FF1 did on my replay.

I got one of those 20th Annivarsary GB Mico's for Xmas and let me tell you, the micro plus FFIV is uber-portable nirvana.  Damn that screen looks NICE!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 11:52:36 PM »

Depward all of those things you mentioned were intentional. I know in Dawn of Souls the monsters do the same thing when you beat them. I kind of like it because on the SNES they just dissappeared.

There should be no issues making SNES games on the GBA as the cartridges are actually larger than any SNES game and the hardware is much stronger.

I believe that they are porting the PSX versions though, but it's not much different from the SNES versions.

I just can't bring myself to buy this again. I enjoy the series and I loved this game, but I don't think it's worth the money. Maybe a FF6 which is coming, and possibly FF5, but I played 4 way too much on the SNES.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: