http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:13:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy III (DS) Impressions  (Read 5587 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »

I just picked up my copy today along with the strategy guide.  I played through the starter dungeon and got to the first town.  As it should be, it's really a different sort of Final Fantasy game compared to FFXII.

- It seems like a very solid and nice-looking port.  The 3D looks better than in the Playstation FF games.
- I was very impressed by the intro movie.  That looked really nice and was unexpected on the DS.
- I love the Final Fantasy music.  From the bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum as the battle theme gets going to the fanfare when you win a battle... it's all very nostalgic.
- It seems pretty hardcore.  No saving in dungeons.  Well you can do a quicksave anytime out of battle but once you load it it disappears.  Permanent saves apparently only happen on the world map.
- Loading times are almost nonexistant.  Everything is very nimble and responsive.

I can't wait to tinker around with the job system but I haven't gotten to that part of the game yet.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 07:46:07 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 15, 2006, 07:10:10 PM

- It seems pretty hardcore.  No saving in dungeons.  Well you can do a quicksave anytime out of battle but once you load it it disappears.  Permanent saves apparently only happen on the world map.

This is the deal-breaker for me right now.  I've never been a big fan of uber-difficult RPG's (which I've heard this one is), and I hate having to replay large sections because of no save points. 

I'll probably check out FFIII, but not until I can find is used or the price drops.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:00:22 PM »

Thanks for the impressions.  I'm picking up my copy at lunch today.  I'm OK with this sort of 'hardcore' approach because for some weird reason I don't have a problem grinding a lot while playing my DS (case in point: Contact).

I bet it looks SEXAY on the Lite!  oOoooh I can'ts waits to play!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:02:34 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 15, 2006, 07:46:07 PM

Quote from: warning on November 15, 2006, 07:10:10 PM

This is the deal-breaker for me right now.  I've never been a big fan of uber-difficult RPG's (which I've heard this one is), and I hate having to replay large sections because of no save points. 

I'll probably check out FFIII, but not until I can find is used or the price drops.

The hardcoreness is what made me pass on FFIII for my Thanksgiving travels.  Besides the old school saving system, the job switching makes you fight X number of battles before your new job "kicks in".  So you're not only grinding to level the different jobs, it'll take X number of fights to accelerate to full grinding speed.

I think this is the only Final Fantasy besides VIII that I haven't played, so I'll definitely pick it up someday, but I'll be waiting for a price drop.

Or, more realistically, my willpower will fail and I'll pay full price to have the game for my Christmas travels.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »

What do you mean by being able to quicksave any time out of battle, but once you load it it disappears? What disappears? Also, is this based off your experience in the first dungeon? Perhaps in larger dungeons there are savepoints?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 08:15:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 15, 2006, 08:11:57 PM

What do you mean by being able to quicksave any time out of battle, but once you load it it disappears? What disappears?

What I believe he means is that when you load this quicksave, it is no longer available to load from again.  So, let's say you load your quicksave and then you lose battery power.  You would no longer have that quick save to go to to load up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:29:38 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 15, 2006, 08:11:57 PM

What do you mean by being able to quicksave any time out of battle, but once you load it it disappears? What disappears? Also, is this based off your experience in the first dungeon? Perhaps in larger dungeons there are savepoints?

It's a temp save, pretty common on handhelds.  Allows you to quit at any time but once you restore the game the save is automatically deleted so you can't restore it if you screw up.  "Permanent" saves are only available on the world map.

And it's like that for the whole game since that's the way it was in the original Famicom version and it was not changed for this release.  The final dungeon is actually pretty legendary for being monstrously huge and still has no way to permanently save inside it. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:17:42 PM »

D00Ds, what's with the poor packaging?  I want the Japanese retail cover!   disgust

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 09:20:41 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 15, 2006, 09:17:42 PM

D00Ds, what's with the poor packaging?  I want the Japanese retail cover!   disgust

Is this it?

If so, I really like it's simplicity. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 09:25:16 PM »

That's what mine looks like.  It's a little plain (ok simple) but it works.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 10:20:01 PM »

Japanese retail cover:

Yumyum!  Anyway, minor gripe...

warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 10:28:12 PM »

Well hells.  That does look nice.

I'm going to print your post out, cut out the box shot and tape it to the front of my copy.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 10:58:58 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 15, 2006, 10:28:12 PM

Well hells.  That does look nice.

I'm going to print your post out, cut out the box shot and tape it to the front of my copy.

You can just print an original, I forgot the website, but warez people use them to duplicate the real thing, pretty much get the sleeves for any game to look pro.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 11:41:24 PM »

Uhhh, this is weird...

I opened up the shrink wrap around my copy and opened up the game case.  First of all, the outside label was backwards, in that I had to open it with the case flipped around and the opposite way.  Then I look and there's a little dead fruitfly on the instructions.  What's up with that?!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 11:53:29 PM »

Your fruit fly was dead?  Man I'd return that copy for another one.

icon_biggrin
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 03:07:18 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 15, 2006, 11:53:29 PM

Your fruit fly was dead?  Man I'd return that copy for another one.

icon_biggrin

Ha. Well played, sir.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 04:23:05 AM »

I pre-ordered this on Amazon a while ago (it had a low price).  The only bad thing, it won't arrive until next week, or the week after.

Oh well, I still have a ton of Sudoku puzzles left in Brain Age  Roll Eyes
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »

Man there is no hand-holding in this game at all.  I went into a cave in Kazus just to see what was there.  I got hit by a random encounter that must have been a bunch of levels higher than me.  He wiped out both characters in about three hits.  Game over.

Of course I check out the strategy guide and it says "Don't go in there Paul you stupid idiot!" but I wasn't smart enough to consult it first.
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 02:05:05 PM »

Hoping to keep this near the top to spur some more conversation. I'd love to hear more about the game as I am toying between this and FFV for GBA (to play on my DS of course).

Is the strat guide crucial? I can remember playing FF III on my SNES and sitting on the living room floor of my parent's house growing up, enjoying my $80 game purchase and using the guide to keep me going through the rough spots.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 02:18:58 PM »

Quote from: Poomba on November 16, 2006, 02:05:05 PM

Is the strat guide crucial? I can remember playing FF III on my SNES and sitting on the living room floor of my parent's house growing up, enjoying my $80 game purchase and using the guide to keep me going through the rough spots.
Wait, now you're confusing me.  Is this game a remake of the Japanese III or the American III that was really VI?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

Japanese III (never before released in the US until now).
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »

Yeah the game we remember as Final Fantasy III on the SNES was actually Final Fantasy VI in Japan.  They never released Final Fantasy II and III on the NES here.  It's kind of confusing.

The recent Final Fantasy III release was previously only released in Japan in 1990 on the NES.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 16, 2006, 02:31:22 PM

The recent Final Fantasy III release was previously only released in Japan in 1990 on the NES.

Didn't it come out on the Wonderswan in Japan as well?

*looks*

Nope, it was apparently canceled.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 03:18:41 PM »

Does it have a map? 

I was enjoying the FF1&2 collection on the GBA but eventually I got frustrated because I was constantly lost.  This helped I guess because I was getting into lots of random battles so I leveled a lot but eventually it just got too annoying. 

Is it at least somewhat clear where to do in this game?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »

Well I'm only an hour or two in so I can't say with certainty but I don't think so.  Unless you're using the strategy guide.  That said, it's been pretty clear so far where to go and what do to.

Other stuff about the game:

I like being able to zoom in on the screen.
I hate the fact that there are items that you can't see and could only randomly find by hitting A in the right spot.  I accidentally found something that way and I'm sure there's lots more.

The strategy guide seems good but not great.  It does go over the jobs (love the artwork!) and gives you maps of everything and boss strategies.  It also doesn't appear to give away any plot points which is nice.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 04:35:17 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 16, 2006, 03:28:51 PM

I hate the fact that there are items that you can't see and could only randomly find by hitting A in the right spot.  I accidentally found something that way and I'm sure there's lots more.

That's been a staple in FF games for as long as I can remember, not sure if it's in the new ones but it was in all the old ones. I'd always just run around hitting A in all the tall grass, pots, clocks, bookshelves, etc... in order to find the hidden items. They're usually just potions, but sometimes you'd get something better (like a tincture in FFVI, hooray!).

BTW, has there been any talk about a FFVI remake on the DS?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 04:37:54 PM »

FFVI remake is being made for the GBA   icon_biggrin  My favorite FF of all!  Though, I'm hoping they don't bork it like they did FFIV...

Anyway, on to FFIII impressions - quite impressed after an hour of play.  This is an old-school RPG at its finest.  Pros and cons:

+Music is, of course, is superb.  This is to be expected with Uematsu though.
+Graphics are fantastic
+Like the map on the top screen when you're traveling around on the overworld screen - sure, sure, you could say, "It's not implementing the double screen well enough!!!" but I like how both Castlevania & FFIII have maps on the screen.  No maps inside caves and such though.

-Combat is slowish.  Maybe because I really liked how in Enchanted Arms you could speed it up.  I like the battle system - it's really just old-school FF - but after defeating the enemy, the camera has to pan over and include your victorious party members.  Irks me I can't skip that but not really a huge pain.
-For some, not being told where to go will be bothersome.  I'm OK with this though.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:45:52 PM by depward » Logged

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 04:40:59 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 16, 2006, 04:37:54 PM

FFVI remake is being made for the GBA   icon_biggrin  My favorite FF of all!  Though, I'm hoping they don't bork it like they did FFIV...

Bah, FFIV had it's problems (the real-time battle system was pretty screwy) but it was still a great game. I loved being able to play all the additional dungeons smile .
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 04:47:23 PM »

Quote from: farley2k
Does it have a map?

I was wrong.  When you are on the world map the top screen shows an overview map and the places you've been are marked.  It doesn't show you where you need to go next though.

Quote from: godhugh
That's been a staple in FF games for as long as I can remember, not sure if it's in the new ones but it was in all the old ones. I'd always just run around hitting A in all the tall grass, pots, clocks, bookshelves, etc... in order to find the hidden items. They're usually just potions, but sometimes you'd get something better (like a tincture in FFVI, hooray!).

Yeah I know.  But that doesn't mean I have to like it.   icon_evil  Especially when the game goes out of it's way to show you how to zoom in and make something sparkle that's interactable.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 07:05:07 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 16, 2006, 04:47:23 PM

Quote from: farley2k
Does it have a map?

I was wrong.  When you are on the world map the top screen shows an overview map and the places you've been are marked.  It doesn't show you where you need to go next though.

Quote from: godhugh

Yeah I know.  But that doesn't mean I have to like it.   icon_evil  Especially when the game goes out of it's way to show you how to zoom in and make something sparkle that's interactable.

The sparks are to show secrets not just items that are interactive.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 09:28:56 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 16, 2006, 03:18:41 PM

Does it have a map? 

I was enjoying the FF1&2 collection on the GBA but eventually I got frustrated because I was constantly lost.  This helped I guess because I was getting into lots of random battles so I leveled a lot but eventually it just got too annoying. 

Is it at least somewhat clear where to do in this game?

The GBA version of FF2 has an outdoor map. I believe FF1 does as well, although I finished the game without realizing it. It's a two-button press (select & B-button on the DS).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:36:58 AM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »

well, crap! - just got mine via 2-day shipping, & my fruitfly's dead as well!...

(puts on shelf & dives back into xii)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 06:49:49 AM »

Is the story any good? Entertaining characters? Or is it essentially just the same ole' same ole'?

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 07:51:57 AM »

Quote from: Brinstil on November 18, 2006, 06:49:49 AM

Is the story any good? Entertaining characters? Or is it essentially just the same ole' same ole'?
I don't have the game, but I believe your characters are the super-generic FFI type.  I'd expect all the real characters to be found in the people you meet or escort.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 01:32:03 PM »

The story's your basic find the cyrstals and evil will be defeated stuff.  No Charles Dickens here.

The characters are also pretty generic.  The game does focus in on them for different cutscenes but ultimately the characters are left pretty bland so you can feel free to develop them the way you want to.
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2006, 01:39:54 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 18, 2006, 01:32:03 PM

The story's your basic find the cyrstals and evil will be defeated stuff.  No Charles Dickens here.

The characters are also pretty generic.  The game does focus in on them for different cutscenes but ultimately the characters are left pretty bland so you can feel free to develop them the way you want to.
Ah, so stick to FF4 (and eventually 6) for a decent story. Damn if this game ain't tempting. Damn Damn Damn.

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2006, 02:45:23 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 16, 2006, 11:04:44 PM

well, crap! - just got mine via 2-day shipping, & my fruitfly's dead as well!...

well doesn't a fruit-flies life only last for a total of 24 hours?  If only you would of paid more for shipping you cheapskate.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
depward

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »

Quote from: weleavefossils on November 18, 2006, 02:45:23 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on November 16, 2006, 11:04:44 PM

well doesn't a fruit-flies life only last for a total of 24 hours?  If only you would of paid more for shipping you cheapskate.
OHMYLORDIE fruit fly maaAAaaAAdness!

I'm finding the game to be enjoyable.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2006, 07:41:30 PM »

I forgot to mention - I have my Friend Code.  I'm going to just make a thread in the multiplayer forum with FFIII friend codes...

Bulletproof
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2006, 03:17:37 AM »

Really really enjoying this, even though when I picked up my preorder at EB they wanted $40 bucks for it, and I was pretty much pissed.

The graphics are just super impressive. Little details like water flowing in fountains and shadows just make it extremely immersive.

The music is excellent. Definitely going to have to find the songs on MP3.

The story and characters seems ok so far (characters are a little wimpy for my tastes).

But the job system seems like the thing that will really make this rpg shine.

Heartily recommended.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: