http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 07:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus is out in Japan...  (Read 1802 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:44:52 AM »

and pretty much hated by everyone!

Impressions of the game state that the controls are wonky, the level design is boring and repetitive, and the game as a whole just isn't very fun.

Oh.  And you have to have the PS2 hard-drive to play online.

Oh.  And you have to pay $8 every month to play it online.

Ouch.  I was really looking forward to this game.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:57:50 AM »

crap!...

(on the other hand, maybe everybody's wrong?)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 01:12:39 AM »

Where are you getting your info?  I'd like to read it.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:29 AM »

There's a thread at the forums of Gaming-Age that has about three pages of info on it.  There are also some impressions over at gamefaqs (which I tend to really try and stay away from since it's, well, gamefaqs).

A lot of people are disappointed.  Apparently there's not much interaction in the game.  They do say that the visuals are ok and that the cinematics are top-notch.

Maybe they had really high expectations?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 02:20:21 AM »

In addition, the game actually binds itself to your HD (according to other sources), so you can't resell the game to anybody else (unless you give them your HD as well). Sorta like how a CD key (or a MMO CD key) works today, just with the HD itself.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that the folks at Square didn't do too good of a job with this. I haven't been impressed with their works as of late. Thankfully, their counterparts Enix have been doing a great job in the RPG department. biggrin

Oh, and people at the forums at the link above are calling this a FPS Bouncer. Ouch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:03:23 AM »

Too bad.  I could care less about the online options though.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 03:24:44 AM »

I havent liked Square since they changed their name. I love Final Fantasy, but they keep making worse and worse games and all they care about is money, money, money.

I have FFXI, and it costs me 25 bucks Canadian a month, thats 1 hundred dollars every 4 months, so 250 dollars a year, thats just a waste of money, thats why I dont play it. Now they want 8 bucks American I'm guessing for some stupid game, I have a PS2 HD, but I'm not wasting anymore money on terrible games. I have gotten rid of all my games besides like 6 or 7, and I only play one of them.

frown sorry if this post sounds like straight ranting.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 03:50:05 AM »

What we need is the Final Fantasy VII cell phone spinoff game...

Final Fantasy should go back to its roots with the mages in the robes and giant hats.  Keep the Chocobos, give me the airship, and get rid of all the androgynous "male" characters (they always do something stupid, like the giant sword or the fucking half-vest thing).  And go back to sprites, and not have 10 minute spell animations.  I never thought I'd say it, but let's go back to saving the kingdom/princess/artifact and ditch the overwroughtt woe-es-me emo shit.  And hurry up with the FF3 update.

I hope all the fanboys buy this steaming pile on day one and hype it to the moon.  They deserve it.  And so do you all for buying FFX and then having the nerve to buy FFX-2 after that.  At least people aren't still playing FFXI.  Baby steps...  I'm enjoying FFIV on the GBA.

Square-Enix should just go SNES exclusive.

The first Grandia was great.  Dragon Quest VIII shows somebody still knows what the hell is going on.  And why do we need all these FFVII spinoffs anyway?  The game sold a ton but sucked.  Boring.  If you thought the story was good then check out a book outside the young adult section once and awhile.  Yeah, I hated the game and I'm still bitter.

Bah!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 03:55:17 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Bah!

Someones on the same page as me.

They should have just re release FFVII, exactly the same as the PS1 game, with the same graphics and everything and called it the colectors addition, they would probably make alot of money off of that, then they would be happy.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 04:19:17 AM »

Final Fantasy should go back to its roots with the mages in the robes and giant hats.  Keep the Chocobos, give me the airship, and get rid of all the androgynous "male" characters (they always do something stupid, like the giant sword or the fucking half-vest thing).  And go back to sprites, and not have 10 minute spell animations.  I never thought I'd say it, but let's go back to saving the kingdom/princess/artifact and ditch the overwroughtt woe-es-me emo shit.  And hurry up with the FF3 update.

I hope all the fanboys buy this steaming pile on day one and hype it to the moon.  They deserve it.  And so do you all for buying FFX and then having the nerve to buy FFX-2 after that.  At least people aren't still playing FFXI.  Baby steps...  I'm enjoying FFIV on the GBA.

Square-Enix should just go SNES exclusive.

The first Grandia was great.  Dragon Quest VIII shows somebody still knows what the hell is going on.  And why do we need all these FFVII spinoffs anyway?  The game sold a ton but sucked.  Boring.  If you thought the story was good then check out a book outside the young adult section once and awhile.  Yeah, I hated the game and I'm still bitter.

Bah!

+10000000000000

FF7 was tolerable, but FF8 ruined EVERYTHING.  FF9 have me false hope! But FF10 crushed that hope to a pulp!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 05:57:53 AM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
I have FFXI, and it costs me 25 bucks Canadian a month, thats 1 hundred dollars every 4 months, so 250 dollars a year, thats just a waste of money, thats why I dont play it.

Pretty sure $25 a month and $100 every 4 months adds up to $300 a year.  Even with your strange foreign currency.  biggrin

I hope all the fanboys buy this steaming pile on day one and hype it to the moon.  They deserve it.  And so do you all for buying FFX and then having the nerve to buy FFX-2 after that.

'cause out-of-the-park sales will really show Square what's what! :roll:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »

Wait...isn't there a FFVII cell phone spinoff game already? Or is that your entire joke here? biggrin

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
FF7 was tolerable, but FF8 ruined EVERYTHING.  FF9 have me false hope! But FF10 crushed that hope to a pulp!

Ah, a fellow RPGer who agrees with my thoughts EXACTLY when it comes to Final Fantasy. You forgot FFXI, which was an insanely difficult MMORPG without any reason to be so, and FFX-2, which was considered a joke of the RPG industry (thanks to the load of 'girl power' everywhere).

You know, I still haven't played the FFXII demo that came with Dragon Warrior 8. I guess I don't want to cheapen my experience with such an amazing game or something.

Oh, and I agree with the whole 'Squenix should rerelease FFVII with no changes' thing as well. It'll sell millions to all the fanboys out there who still think it's the best RPG out there for reasons I can't fathom.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 06:53:49 AM »

Can we officially claim Square has jumped the shark?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 06:57:03 AM »

Wow, it usually takes much longer than this for a Final Fantasy thread to devolve into an argument between the old style and new style, even if there's very little actual difference between them slywink
I'm not surprised by the Dirge of Cerberus response.  An FPS from Square was a risky proposition to begin with.  I wouldn't think the hype would be that high for it, even with the FF7 name.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 07:18:55 AM »

I still can't believe that Gackt performs the main theme.  AND how he's an actual model in the game.  Egads

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 12:39:03 PM »

Why would anyone buy a rerelease of FFVII with no changes if they can just go pick up a copy of the Greatest Hits Playstation version at their local Walmart for $14 bucks?  Now if they rereleased FFVII with improved graphics then I would totally be IN!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 03:07:33 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

Um, no?  I thought FFX was fantastic and easily among the series' top entries.  FFX-2 was clearly an "experiment" and FFXI was a MMORPG that really shouldn't have been a numbered entry.  So until I play FFXII (and I'm not going to judge the game by the demo) I wouldn't write them off.  

As to Dirge of Cerebus- its an action game and SE hasn't exactly had a good track record with those this generation so while its disappointing that it isn't very good, it's hardly surprising.  

And I'm with Eddie- there really isn't a dramatic difference between the SNES games and PSX games.  I've played at least part of every FF game from FFIV to FFX in the last year and the progression is very natural from title to title.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Why would anyone buy a rerelease of FFVII with no changes if they can just go pick up a copy of the Greatest Hits Playstation version at their local Walmart for $14 bucks?  Now if they rereleased FFVII with improved graphics then I would totally be IN!

Yeah.  Good luck finding THAT.

For some reason, finding -any- copy of FF7 right now for less than $30-40 is really difficult.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 05:08:11 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"

For some reason, finding -any- copy of FF7 right now for less than $30-40 is really difficult.

i can get you one for 19.99 tomorrow. Its still very common around here. Overrated, but common  :twisted:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "unbreakable"

Um, no?  I thought FFX was fantastic and easily among the series' top entries.  FFX-2 was clearly an "experiment" and FFXI was a MMORPG that really shouldn't have been a numbered entry.  So until I play FFXII (and I'm not going to judge the game by the demo) I wouldn't write them off.  

As to Dirge of Cerebus- its an action game and SE hasn't exactly had a good track record with those this generation so while its disappointing that it isn't very good, it's hardly surprising.  

And I'm with Eddie- there really isn't a dramatic difference between the SNES games and PSX games.  I've played at least part of every FF game from FFIV to FFX in the last year and the progression is very natural from title to title.

Kevin Grey as usual FTW. X was a wonderful, wonderful game. One of my favorite RPGs ever.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 05:21:03 PM »

Going to have to agree with the folks who considered FFX to be a good game. FFX-2 on the other hand...

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 06:59:56 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

i can get you one for 19.99 tomorrow. Its still very common around here. Overrated, but common  :twisted:

I may have to talk to you in a few weeks.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 08:32:13 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

I may have to talk to you in a few weeks.

Sure just pm me. it might even be 14.99 some places.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 10:12:13 PM »

I still don't get how people complain about the loss of the job system and then use that same mouth to deride FFX-2.  Apparently calling them dresses offends on some deep cellular level.  Whatever.  I had fun with it.

I do agree that designing it to REQUIRE a walkthrough in order to get their stupid 'good ending' was a questionable move.  Luckily, the obsessive completist in me died with my teenage years, and I was just happy with any old ending I got.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 10:31:33 PM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
I still don't get how people complain about the loss of the job system and then use that same mouth to deride FFX-2.  Apparently calling them dresses offends on some deep cellular level.  Whatever.  I had fun with it.

Can't we have the much-vaunted job system without playing dress-up?  Without bad Brittney Spears J-Pop?  Without high-fives and "girl power" cheers?

There was very little in FFX2 that resembled Final Fantasy games as I remembered playing them.  I was embarrassed to play it in front of my kids for fear that they would revolt and lock me in a closet.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 12:40:45 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Wait...isn't there a FFVII cell phone spinoff game already? Or is that your entire joke here? biggrin

Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII.

Final Fantasy VII Snowboarding.

The joke's on us. :cry:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: