http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:53:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls [GBA]  (Read 1514 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2005, 02:01:11 PM »

I did a search and couldn't find any impression threads.  I'm asking because I will be picking up the new electric blue DS very soon and I'm renewing my annual subscription to Nintendo Power Magazine and I could get the Dawn of Souls strategy guide for free.  I'm also itching for a good RPG to play on the DS.  I plan on picking up Minish Cap & Dawn of Souls with my new DS.

Anyone have it and play it?  Impressions?

Thanks!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 03:05:28 PM »

Zarkon reviewed it not long after release, and I've jut beaten FF1.  It amounts to old school fun with some new challenging dungeons to play in.  The new dungeons use ideas that hadn't yet been thought of when the game first came out.  I like FF1...FF2 I'm still ambivalent about.  It's nice looking, but the advancement system leaves me a little cold.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 03:16:22 PM »

http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/340.html

Feel the love.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:47:46 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I know.  It was the first thing I did.  I just wanted to supplement your review with the opinions of others here.

Thanks!

XM Channel 76
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 07:34:39 PM »

I got bored pretty quickly.  Random encounter were every few steps the maps were very confusing and it was very, very easy (probably because of so many encounters - you level up pretty often)

I really love the FF series and I was really suprised by how little I enjoyed the game.

Still it is a big dose of nostalga.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 08:14:04 PM »

I've got it, and my wife just got into FF1.

I played through over half of 1 and realised that I had the game memorised, so I decided to play 2 and it's awesome. I like it a lot more, I like the advancement system more and I like the story a lot more.

The basic principle that your skills increase the more you use them is great. I still haven't figured out how to increase things like stamina or strength or how they decide when your HP increases, but it's been consistent enough that I don't mind it.

Highly recommend the game and the electric blue DS.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 09:46:44 PM »

"I got bored pretty quickly. Random encounter were every few steps the maps were very confusing and it was very, very easy (probably because of so many encounters - you level up pretty often)

I really love the FF series and I was really suprised by how little I enjoyed the game."

If you haven't played the original Final Fantasy (the NES version or the PSOne Origins remake), the Dawn of Souls version is very different in terms of difficulty level.  The original is very difficult - most dungeons require mutliple trips just to level up, and even carrying the maximum 99 potions, you'll run out quickly.  Add in the scarcity of magic (the original game didn't use MP points), instant death moves, and lack of save points (Origins had quick saves anywhere), and you get one difficult game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 10:26:19 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"I got bored pretty quickly. Random encounter were every few steps the maps were very confusing and it was very, very easy (probably because of so many encounters - you level up pretty often)

I really love the FF series and I was really suprised by how little I enjoyed the game."

If you haven't played the original Final Fantasy (the NES version or the PSOne Origins remake), the Dawn of Souls version is very different in terms of difficulty level.  The original is very difficult - most dungeons require mutliple trips just to level up, and even carrying the maximum 99 potions, you'll run out quickly.  Add in the scarcity of magic (the original game didn't use MP points), instant death moves, and lack of save points (Origins had quick saves anywhere), and you get one difficult game.

my first time playing, & it wasn't the difficulty level that got to me, so much as, well, the game just seemed 'old' (no surprise, i guess...). got a ways into it, & will likely go back at some point, but it just felt, minus the strong stories of ffs (& other rpgs) since, like a pretty empty, straight-forward, & very repetitive level grind - not so much fun now, tho i can see why it was back when, & am glad it's still available to be played...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:06:57 PM »

Minnish Cap rocks hard, BTW.  I still need to pick up DoS (or hope a friend does, more likely).
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 12:39:24 PM »

Thanks for the opinions!

By the way, I never played FF 1 or 2, so I guess this is like a new game for me.  As a matter of fact, the only FF I played was FF 8 and I loved it!  I fell in love with Quistis from that game!

Can anyone comment on how the graphics are, especially on the DS?  I've looked at screenshots and some movies of it and it looked pretty cool.  Are the graphics crisp and clear (i.e., not blocky)?

Thanks.

XM Channel 76
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 02:31:50 PM »

I'm splitting my time fairly evenly between Minnish Cap and FF.  I never really played the original FF, either.  Clearly, Zelda has the better graphics, and FF feel older, but you're playing and older game, so your brain adjusts.  That said, I don't want to give the impression that the FF graphics aren't comparable to most GBA games, 'cause they are.  Not blocky, crisp and clean.

Dawn of Souls feels old only in its mechanics, to me.  It's definitely all about leveling up, not nearly so much about story.  Personally, I find that appealing in the "well, I'll just keep going until Rocky gets to the next level, then go get that spell, then try it out, then maybe I'll just clear that dungeon..." kind of way.  Not to say there's no story, but it's not at the level of modern games.

The older versions may have been more challenging, or taken a longer time, but I find if I'm playing an older game because I've never played it, I like being able to get through it faster.

I'm slow playing with gameboy games (hell, with most games, but handhleds are slower than most), so I'm only a little more than 1/4 of the way through, but I do think I'll finish it someday.  It's very easy to just pick up and play again after leaving it for awhile.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 03:53:19 PM »

I have FFI memorized too, but I still enjoy it. The graphics update is nice. I haven't really gotten into the story of FFII though.

Minish Cap really does rock hard; really enjoying that one. I'm about to start the 3rd major dungeon (the ice one).

However, all that was put on hold when Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones came out. It's my first FE game, and I'm addicted.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 06:23:51 PM »

Just got back from lunch with my new blue DS & Super Mario 64!  Cool!

I chickened out and DID NOT get FF Dawn of Souls or Minish Cap.  The reason?  Well, I have Super Mario 64 to play, my son has like 10 DS games I can play, and I'm picking up Destroy All Humans next week.  I couldn't justify the extra game(s) purchases.  I will though in the future.

Thanks for your impressions!  I will definitely be getting FF Dawn of Souls in the future especially after I renew my Nintendo Power subscription and get my free FF Dawn of Souls Strategy Guide! smile

XM Channel 76
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 10:19:48 PM »

it needs to be said: the 2 golden sun games are the best traditional rpgs there are for the gb, hands down - & among the best rpgs ever, as far as i'm concerned...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 11:22:10 PM »

I kiind of didnt like the first Golden Sun, it had too many 'pauses' you couldnt skip past, and sappy dialogue.  It was -ok-, but there were tons of SNES RPGs which were far better.

I never ended up getting GS2, not because I dont intend to, just because it hasnt happened yet.  The gaming backlog is big, so I can hold off until I see it really cheap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: