http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:33:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 12- Yay or Nay?  (Read 2422 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »

Someday eventually I will get to Final Fantasy 12 (after 7, 8, 9, and 10).  I'm wondering if I should be picking up 12 for the backlog.  I don't know how I feel about the turn based battles disappearing.  And some of the reviews said that there's a ridiculous amount of grinding, which I happen to dislike intensely.  Was the demo that came with Dragon Quest 8 at all representative of the game?  Because I have that-I tried it a long time ago and wasn't thrilled by it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 02:32:31 PM »

Ignore the DQ VIII demo.  It nearly turned me off of FFXII as well, and I would have missed out on easily the best RPG in the past 5 years.  It is an incredible game, and one that anyone with even a passing interest in RPG's needs to play. The combat system takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it really is the most intuitive, fun system the FF series has offered up yet.  There is a ton of customization with the License and Gambit system, and you're truly free to create characters any way you want.  I'm still not sure how on earth they managed to coax that level of graphics out of the PS2.  You'll truly be amazed.  I'm typically not someone that can spend 40+ hours with an RPG.  In fact. I can count the number of games that have received that much attention on one hand.  However, my final gameplay total with FF XII was nearly 80 hours.  It's one of those rare games that is so good, that the hours just seem to disappear as you play.

I almost skipped this game because of many of the same reservations you have:  screwy combat, lots of grinding, no turn-based system, etc.  Trust me, you'll truly be missing out if you don't give it a try.  Worth every penny and every minute I put into it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:14:35 PM »

FF12 is only $19 at most places now.  That is a steal for that great game.  I'll echo what Gratch said about it. It's one of the best combat systems out there for an RPG.  The ton of customization options available for your characters is nice too.  The only negative I had with it is the story.  It's a great story, but about 20-30 hours into the game the story completely disappears for a while.  Until it picks up again, you'll definitely feel like your having to "grind" through the game.  But it's worth it when it does pick back up. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 03:27:52 PM »

i say YAY

the Gambit system was a big change,and it made the game so very easy,as i just had all my players with the same Gambits and anything that came my way i pulverised them(some boss fights didnt even get a shot in on my party)...it would make levelling up a doddle...whether thats good or not i dont know..but the game was still a great experience,graphically it was prolly the greatest PS2 game made

the story was so-so,not the best FF storyl,the only real problem i had with the game was the weak lead characters namely Vaan and his sister or whatever she was too him Panelo...they did nothing for the story in my eyes and were quite boring...unlike Basche or Balthier who were Gods compared to others in the game

the sidequests hunts were quite good as well

at lowest,its a 9/10 game ..nothing less...and the best way a final fantasy game can go out with a bang on the PS2

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

Best voice acting in an RPG period. Excellent gameplay (like you I was skeptical of the combat but it IS turnbased more or less), great environments, and a story that keeps you playing from beginning to end. FF12 is easily the best in the series (and I considered FF3 (US) to the best until now).

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 04:52:23 PM »

FF8 is trash btw you can skip that one. The combat is BOOOOORRRRRING. Prepare to watch a gazillion summons animations that take about 40 seconds each to complete.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »

Yup it's an easy yay - the battle system works incredibly slick and you get the typical wonderful Final Fantasy presentation.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:25:58 PM »

BIG yay

the Gambit system is awesome, and I don't particularly remember too much grinding but it's been a while
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 06:48:50 PM »

Easily the best main Final Fantasy I've played.  Only Tactics is close.  Do not miss XII.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »

I thought 12 was the best so far. The new combat system is great. I know some people may not like it, but I enjoyed not having to micromanage everyone the entire game. In fact, the combat system made me want to find fights. It was just a blast. I did the standard have a melee, caster and healer and it worked very well. I out leveled most places and destroyed towards the end of the game though. I'm a sucker for big weapons so I always farmed for extra cash and such. The story is the typical one, but it's presented very well. No reason not to get this game if you have enjoyed previous FF games.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »

Huge YAY to FF12. It's the 2nd best main Final Fantasy game (behind 6) IMO.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:00:56 PM »

I picked up 12 for my wife a couple weeks back on the EB buy 2 get one free deal, and she's had a blast with it. From what I've seen, the story seems to be one of the better ones from the FF series. Likewise for the gameplay; the license system, while a bit strange, seems a lot better than the orb system. (Though I think the job system is the best class system the FF series has ever used.)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:06:16 PM »

I cannot strongly enough say "yay". I keep telling everyone that its second amongst Final Fantasy's to me behind X-and it is-but by the smallest margin possible. The only reason is because the emotion of the story of FFX resonated with me in a way very few games ever had. However, so many aspects of the gameplay in FFXII are simply so superior, so streamlined, so FUN its hard to describe. I was a bit late to FFXII, having bought it, started it, and stopped it within a few weeks of release. I wasn't in an RPG mood, I was working a lot, and it took a few months for me to get back to it-but when I did it was all I could play or wanted to play. About 55 hours in I finished it, and still regret I didn't spend more time on monster hunts and side-questing. Its very high on my list of games to replay, and next time I do its going to be an epic playthrough!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »

Well I guess I'll have to pick it up then.  The Gametrailers review really did a good job of making it sound like a shit game that only a crazy person would want to play.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:51:20 PM »

dont listen to any of these guys the game was terrible...

... okay im completely lying - easily my favorite ps2 game.  it was excellent, fun etc etc etc - cant echo the greatness already mentioned enough

and for the most part i hate grinding for grindings sake but the first time i willingly put myself through a 100 enemy chain because it was fun i knew this game was a huge winner.  honestly i liked it so much its almost spoiled rpg combat for me - i thought it was THAT good
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 12:59:21 AM »

Even I should pick it up for backlog since it's finally under $20.00 brand new.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 01:09:37 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 08, 2007, 11:45:17 PM

The Gametrailers review really did a good job of making it sound like a shit game that only a crazy person would want to play.

I haven't read that review, but I can tell it already sounds pretty retarded
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 01:26:53 AM »

You don't have to read it-you can watch it! Even better!  Basically they said: the main character sucks, the story is good but you're removed from it, you'll grind more than you've ever ground (sp?) in the history of FF titles, and you spend most of the game hacking and slashing and using hardly any summons or whatever the other things are because they take up all of your magic in one go.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 01:30:36 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 09, 2007, 01:26:53 AM

You don't have to read it-you can watch it! Even better!  Basically they said: the main character sucks, the story is good but you're removed from it, you'll grind more than you've ever ground (sp?) in the history of FF titles, and you spend most of the game hacking and slashing and using hardly any summons or whatever the other things are because they take up all of your magic in one go.

Actually, that's really not inaccurate.  Vaan is whiny and annoying, most of the combat is melee (depending on your play style, of course), and it does require quite a bit of grinding.  What they probably fail to mention, however, is that the "support" characters are some of the best characters you'll ever see, and that the combat is so satisfying and fun that you'll hardly notice either the lack of direct spellcasting or the level grinding. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 01:44:12 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 09, 2007, 01:30:36 AM

Actually, that's really not inaccurate.  Vaan is whiny and annoying, most of the combat is melee (depending on your play style, of course), and it does require quite a bit of grinding.  What they probably fail to mention, however, is that the "support" characters are some of the best characters you'll ever see, and that the combat is so satisfying and fun that you'll hardly notice either the lack of direct spellcasting or the level grinding. 

in addition to what Gratch said...Vaan isn't really the "main" character whatsoever.  there really is no main character in FF12.  I will agree that he is the only character I didn't like though
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 01:57:41 AM »

Its the only game sitting in my PS3 at the moment.  Such a fantastic game in all areas. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 02:11:07 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 09, 2007, 01:44:12 AM

in addition to what Gratch said...Vaan isn't really the "main" character whatsoever.  there really is no main character in FF12.  I will agree that he is the only character I didn't like though

I liked him quite a bit personally, because he wasn't the main character-not even by a long shot. It made it very easy for me to look at him as a quirky sidekick that was fun and totally harmless-I thought his subplot was very good as well. As for the no magic thing-I have heard that complaint time and again-and I certainly meleed more than I might have in previous FF games-but if you license board your characters well, you can easily have 2-3 players that have gambits (or manually) to ensure constant MP regeneration and near constant casting of offensive magic-and its quite awesome.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 03:14:22 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 09, 2007, 02:11:07 AM

Quote from: KePoW on December 09, 2007, 01:44:12 AM

I liked him quite a bit personally, because he wasn't the main character-not even by a long shot. It made it very easy for me to look at him as a quirky sidekick that was fun and totally harmless-I thought his subplot was very good as well. As for the no magic thing-I have heard that complaint time and again-and I certainly meleed more than I might have in previous FF games-but if you license board your characters well, you can easily have 2-3 players that have gambits (or manually) to ensure constant MP regeneration and near constant casting of offensive magic-and its quite awesome.

Exactly. And yeah, you don't "summon" but you do use "Quickenings" a whole hell of a lot.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 03:43:35 AM »

Thanks guys-I'm really looking forward to this one now.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 04:12:20 AM »

This was the first FF game where I really felt like some of the buff and status spells were actually worth using. It was important to use buffs on your guys and ailments on enemies. I liked that a lot. Definitely a solid game.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 05:43:29 AM »

final fantasy xii!!!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 06:35:30 AM »

"you'll grind more than you've ever ground (sp?) in the history of FF titles"
I guess they never played the first one.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 06:30:35 PM »

I never had to grind. As long as you do some of the optional hunts then you should level up enough with those that you wont really ever have to sit in one spot and grind. Whenever I found myself going into an area with strong monster I would take that as a sign to go and finish up some hunts that I had. Not only do you gain lvls, items, and gil that way, but you also "grind" in a fun way. 

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »

The game mechanics are superb (gambit system, license board, battle system).

I was disappointed in the story and characters, because I expect the best for Final Fantasy, but it's by no means bad or distracting.

I did have to grind a bit, primarily when I got to the

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sochen Cave Palace

which seems to be the point a lot of people hit the wall at. Luckily that's also the point you get the double exp trinket and can level up fairly quickly. Grinding is by no means a chore like it is in many RPGs and there's not much of it. And whoever said it's the most grinding in a FF clearly has not played the first one.

It's not my favorite FF, but it's an overall solid title.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »

F'n 'A'... eh and Yay!
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »

I did a fairly large amount of grinding, but that was only because I was working to get the Tournesol. That was a mighty chore.

Oh, and Nihipalao + Elixer rules.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »

Did anyone here do the final hunt in the game? I read the description at GameFAQs and promptly said "hell no."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 12:03:24 AM »

I'm considering playing through this during my winter break from school...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 01:12:04 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 10, 2007, 11:59:06 PM

Did anyone here do the final hunt in the game? I read the description at GameFAQs and promptly said "hell no."

Yep. I wouldn't recommend it.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 10:58:01 PM »

Yay for sure. 

I think this is one of those love or hate games.   Haters are not posting for some reason.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »

I sunk 120 hours into it so I say yay, but it does start to wear on you at that point.

I really enjoyed the questing and battle system, but you had to spend a little time grinding which is something I am not a big fan of.
The storyline and arcs were pretty solid.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 04:24:08 PM »

Prior to release, I had no interest in FFXII until near launch day when solid impressions finally started coming in. For a long time I thought it would be the first non-mmo entry in the franchise that I'd skip entirely, but once I played it, I realized quickly how great it was. With 100 hours logged in the title and I've got tons of optional content yet to experience (I finished the main storyline though), it's one of the top entries in the franchise for me alongside FF6 & 9.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: