http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 02:05:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 12 Intro and Commercial  (Read 1892 times)
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:21:44 AM »

A short intro for FF12 is on http://youtube.com/watch?v=BkWQZhckfK4&search=Final%20Fantasy%20XII

It shows some of the major summons that you will use in game.

Oh and they are actually selling a product called "Potion" in Japan.

The blue bottle is the "Potion" while the gold box is "Soft" (for petrification).  The actual commercial is a spoof of Final Fantasy combat, with real people using technique and "Potion" to heal themselves.  :wink:

mms://wmt-od.stream.ne.jp/suntory/selector/softdrink/ff/battle_80k.wmv  (low res and direct from the maker Suntory)

http://ftp://gruint.korea.com/gruint/videogamerx/news/200603/0304/ff12_posion_tvcm.wmv   (A much better hi res version on FTP)
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »

Now the complete Intro and Opening Movie are available.  Note the Final Fantasy 4 & FF7 music.  

http://www.siliconera.com/2006/03/14/final-fantasy-xii-opening-video/ (Intro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4XtVj4BWBc&search=final%20fantasy%20XII  (Opening scenes)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 02:50:19 PM »

What is it about this series that instantly hooks me?  I hated the demo but I was just hooked when I watched these.  

It is like crack or something.

Skeld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 03:43:50 PM »

Hello crap, it's like Lord of the Rings mixed with Star Wars.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:57:56 AM »

please do not excite me with these vids,as this game will no doubt be avilable in no less than a years time for me(england)

although the girl in the wedding dress in the opening movie looked a lot like yuna from 10 and 10-2...in the wedding dress anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:13:47 AM »

IGN has some new videos here and 1Up has a preview and video here.  The city looks particularly amazing.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »

Someone hook me up with that opening video in a downloadable format, please?  I want to watch it on my TV biggrin
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »

There are some incredibly positive impressions of this one over on Gaming-Age from guys whose credibility with RPGs is sky high.

Really, really can't wait for this.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »

Are the FFX games standalone or do you have to have played them all to get what's going on?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 02:52:05 PM »

the final fantasy games can be played alone......only final fantasy 10(X)had a 'proper' sequel which was final fantasy 10-2....but hopefully square enix wont be doing that again as 10-2 was kinda crap.....good CG though

i suggest you get to grips with final fantasy 7,8 or 9 for the playstation 1...before playing any others....as i think they still rule

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 02:56:11 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Are the FFX games standalone or do you have to have played them all to get what's going on?

By and large standalone.  Almost all of the games take place in unique worlds with unique characters and stories with some common elements between them (items and potion names, some monster types, they always have a character named Cid, etc).  

Exceptions:  FFX-2 is a true sequel to FFX in the sense that it continues the story and characters.  However most people will tell you to stay away from FFX-2.  FFX stands alone perfectly on its own so in no way should not playing FFX-2 deter you from the greatness that is FFX.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)- Takes place in a world called Ivalice.  Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) and FFXII (PS2) also take place in Ivalice but are not related in terms of story or character so you don't need to have played any or all of the games to understand another (though you should play Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 just because its a great game).  

Final Fantasy VII Compilation- side games based on the world and characters of FFVII.  None have been released in the US yet, but they include Before Crisis (cellphone game), Advent Children (CGI Movie Sequel), Crisis Core (PSP Game), and Dirge of Cerebus (PS2 action game).  

Bottom Line- you can play all of the "main line" (ie numbered) Final Fantasy games as standalone.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 05:32:31 PM »

that 10 minute long opening scene makes FF7 advent children look like a fucking south park cartoon.

I love the art and character designs.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 06:46:11 AM »

1Up has posted some more impressions and a movie here and GameInformer has some more movies here.  I really like the idea of the license board.  It sounds even better than the sphere grid system from FFX.  Also, SquareEnix said that they intend to release the game in the US before Thanksgiving.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

While I hate the 'single player MMORPG' vibe they're shooting for, all the positive impressions have me excited again for FFXII.  I'm just hoping the full game is better than the completely underwhelming demo that came with DQ VIII.  I played that demo for a grand total of 10 minutes before being bored to tears.  Of course, FF is all about story and characters, which weren't really represented in the demo.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 03:21:01 PM »

Here's a write-up by a Japanese guy over at Quarter To Three with his impressions of the game.

Link

Sounds pretty great so far.
Skeld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

Damn, US release is scheduled to be just before Thanksgiving heh...

I am tempted to import this but if I do, I probably will miss out 80% of the story since my Japanese is pretty poor. I suppose I will fire up the demo to see if I like the combat system.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »

man, I really can't wait for this game. I've been dissapointed by the series before, but I never have hated or not played through one before.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 04:55:18 PM »

I traded in my PS2 too. Damn, oh well.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 05:14:33 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Here's a write-up by a Japanese guy over at Quarter To Three with his impressions of the game.

Link

good post, especially the clear description of the gambit system - makes me want to check out the demo again, for sure...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 10:33:20 AM »

1Up has posted yet more impressions.  The gambit system sounds a lot more involved than I thought it would be.  I usually like to micromanage each character in games like this, but it looks like the gambits will be a lot of fun to play around with.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 02:36:14 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
Quote from: "warning"

Link

good post, especially the clear description of the gambit system - makes me want to check out the demo again, for sure...

I still haven't played the demo...I'm to scared to pop it in and see what it is like.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 04:59:26 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
I still haven't played the demo...I'm to scared to pop it in and see what it is like.

It's sounding more and more like the demo is a really poor representation of the game.  For example, evidently FFXII has an enormous, interconnected overworld (the QT3 poster likened it to DQ8 or Zelda) but the demo features a relatively linear pathway.
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 03:33:51 AM »

It's pretty clear that FF12 is originally intended as a MMORPG, I believe that one of the producer stated as much.  The various impression is right about this game being HUGE.  It's not unusual to see an area or dungeon made of 8~10 zones, presumably done to facilitate load time.  So there is like 50+ areas on the Worldmap with each area consist of 5~10 zones.  The first city for example has 7 zones above ground, 2 zones underground, 2 separate sewer system made of 10 zones each, not including those plot-only areas like Palace.

If you decide to run off and explore the world, you will notice that they design each zones just like your typical MMORPG.  Normally there is a very high level mob in zone that can wipe out your party in one hit.  This is presumably done so that you can't just go AFK (away from keyboard) for some auto-levelling.  With the new gambit system (a fancy term for scripting and macro), your party members can kill everything on sight automatically while running around in zone.  

The mobs respawn on timer and occasionally you will find "rare monster" spawning if you have been clearing the zones of spawns for a while.  You will even see NPC running around zones fighting mobs on its own, trying to killsteal your spawn in the old fashion EQ way.    :wink:  

Along with the MMORPG "vibe", there is quite a bit of grinding involved as well.  Levelling is slow in FF12, and this is made worse by the fact that only the active member (max 3) gain experience.  So you have to occasionally rotate the neglected members out for some grinding, because the boss fights in this game is appropriately epic on MMORPG scale.  There are mobs that can only be harmed by magic or ranged weapon, so if you haven't been levelling your magic user and archers, you will find yourselves impossibly outmatched when your level 40 melee tanks can't do jack against an immune boss, and you are forced to use the archer/magic user that you have been neglecting since level 15.

Regarding leveling, the "golden rules" of EQ applies here.  Expect to kill at least 50 mobs (i.e. half a blue bub per mob) of "blue con" (i.e. about 1~5 levels below your current level) to gain 1 level.  If you decide to go level on "light-blue", expect to kill 80~100 mobs to gain 1 level.  There are some specific spawn that are "good exp" (i.e. 10~20 kills to level), but often requires you to blow all your MP away in a chain of "super attacks".  Otherwise these "deep red" mobs will often kill you in 1~2 hits.  Therefore, these reds are inefficient unless there is a saving point nearby.  

While exploring, remember to "con" the mob before stealing or initiating hostility because there are mobs with like 45,000 hp running around in an otherwise low level zone.  This is true when exploring those optional content, e.g. high level dungeon.  It's not unusual to get a sudden wipeout due to a trap or newbie mistake.  Remember that there is no corpse run in this game, you get a gameover and hopefully you have saved recently.  

Plot-wise, if you have ever seen the original Star Wars trilogy, you can consider yourselves completely spoiled regarding the story.  It's easy to see who is Princess Leia, Han Solo, and Chewbacca.  There is even Lando Calrissian/Cloud City, Boba Fett, and Death Star in there.  Also there is the obligatory "Wookie heading back to his homeland Kashyyyk to deal with his past" portion a la KOTOR.   :wink:

My bet is that Square-Enix already planned a sequel FFXII-2 for our Han Solo since like the original Star Wars, it's obviously that they are not done with him yet at the end.  Oh, the main plot line is rather short and can be finished in about 35~40 hours.  The optional content though is tremendous and easily twice of that.  There are optional bosses and summons that are so difficult, it's hard to imagine taking them on without some massive grinding, e.g. AoE life-draining, immune to physical and immune to magic at various stages in fight, plus several hundred thousands HP.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 04:58:30 AM »

Oh, the main plot line is rather short and can be finished in about 35~40 hours.

Sounds normal for FF.  I'm hard pressed to think of a FF where the main plotline *can't* be finished in about 35-40 hours.  [/quote]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 05:01:25 AM »

Quote from: "Galadriels"
*posted a ton of stuff about FFXII*

Waitasecond...is THIS what Squenix has done to Final Fantasy? Are you serious about all of this?

This...I don't know what to make of this. But my initial impressions (based on that preview) are now borderline suck. We'll see if that holds true as the US release nears (or we get a few more reviews out there).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 03:57:51 AM »

I've been reading the impressions over at gaming-age and otherwise and they are extremely positive.  SUPER positive.  Very awesome.  Downloaded some vids too - the game looks dandy.

Anyone else ordering the soundtrack?  I know I'm an omega geek because I like to purchase game soundtracks, but take a look at this:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Limited edition soundtrack and it's already been preordered   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 06:54:01 AM »

1Up has their final day of impressions here.  They are very positive too, and I'm glad to finally read some concrete information on the game.  Some good quotes -
"It has, in short, the single most customizable battle system I've ever seen in an RPG, whether on console or on PC."
"I've yet to encounter a simple, boring dungeon. Each section of the game has its own unique hook to keep things interesting."
Even with so many new RPGs out and coming soon, it's going to be a long wait until November.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 03:47:04 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "weleavefossils"

It's sounding more and more like the demo is a really poor representation of the game.  For example, evidently FFXII has an enormous, interconnected overworld (the QT3 poster likened it to DQ8 or Zelda) but the demo features a relatively linear pathway.

well after not having the internet for a few days from moving I ended up playing the demo..for it being a demo.. I loved it (it's a nice change) but its hard to tell with just playing the combat..I feel it being stressful with having to work with bots instead of commanding everyone

it was linear..but it was expected I guess.  I am really excited for this to come out.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: