http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 02:40:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fileplanet No More  (Read 1079 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »

Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived.

I guess it's another victim of the cuts at IGN.  first Direct2Drive got sold, then VE3D is no longer funded, and FP apparently hasn't been updated for some time now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:24:46 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »

I suspect Steam and the like services with the combination of youtube (for game trailers) had as much to do with it. I used to use fileplanet for patches and demos, now that's not necessary.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »

Thank god! Fileplanet's existence always annoyed me.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »

Fileplanet was a really good website twelve years ago. No accounts to speak of, minimal advertising, direct links as far as the eye could see!

Then, like much the rest of the Internet, it turned to complete shit.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2012, 06:46:23 PM

Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived.

I guess it's another victim of the cuts at IGN.  first Direct2Drive got sold, then VE3D is no longer funded, and FP apparently hasn't been updated for some time now.

nice wrong link there CK...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 03, 2012, 11:21:11 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2012, 06:46:23 PM

nice wrong link there CK...

and it only took 4 posts to catch it  icon_lol

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 02:13:01 AM »

Had purchased the Fileplanet subscription around E3 time. For awhile they had the best E3 video coverage with high-res shakey cam videos of all the new games there. Couldn't beat it. Then everyone caught up so never bothered with the subscription again. They didn't adapt.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 02:19:21 AM »

I subscribed to Fileplanet for years, and always had the speediest downloads for demos, but it seemed like in recent years it's just become "IGN Prime" or whatever.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 04, 2012, 02:19:21 AM

I subscribed to Fileplanet for years, and always had the speediest downloads for demos, but it seemed like in recent years it's just become "IGN Prime" or whatever.

I had it for a couple years as well.  Free Mag subscription, a couple free games and early access to every beta out there made it worth while for a bit there.  Not soo much the last 4 years or so.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 07, 2012, 10:55:53 AM

I had it for a couple years as well.  Free Mag subscription, a couple free games and early access to every beta out there made it worth while for a bit there.  Not soo much the last 4 years or so.

they've actually had some decent freebies lately, like SPAZ, Dungeon Defenders, Rochard, Orcs Must Die!, King Arthur and that one week were they had 5 free games (QUBE, Choplifter HD, Hacker Duality, Crusader Kings and one other title I cannot remember).  I paid 20 bucks for the year and I definitely came out ahead.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2012, 04:21:25 PM

they've actually had some decent freebies lately, like SPAZ, Dungeon Defenders, Rochard, Orcs Must Die!, King Arthur and that one week were they had 5 free games (QUBE, Choplifter HD, Hacker Duality, Crusader Kings and one other title I cannot remember).  I paid 20 bucks for the year and I definitely came out ahead.

That is a good deal, just don't uninstall them prior to your sub running out. In other words they are not free for life so much.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 08, 2012, 02:27:32 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2012, 04:21:25 PM

That is a good deal, just don't uninstall them prior to your sub running out. In other words they are not free for life so much.

mine is expired and the free games seem to be working fine,  heck, I'm installing Choplifter HD as we speak.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: