http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 12:41:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: File this under huge rumor, probably not true, But Microsoft would be dumb if so  (Read 3626 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2007, 08:19:02 PM »

I have heard that it is true, but that the details of the original post might have been a bit played up. I haven't been able to get details out of anyone though.

My thought is that someone high up at Bungie wanted to walk, like Jason Jones.  Jason was a founder of Bungie and project lead on Halo 1 and 2, and is conspicuously absent from the credits of Halo 3 besides "Special Thanks."  There's even this picture in the game.  When you buy a company, you always include a contract clause that says "Persons x, y, and z will stay for x years or x products" or something along those lines.  Once the handcuff clause expires though, it's open season.  I'm wondering if Jason threatened to walk, MS recognized that he would take most of Bungie with him, so they scrambled to work out a deal.  I'm thinking Bungie got off the "Halo exclusively for the rest of your life" hook but will remain exclusive to Xbox.  All that is just my imagination though.  It could be anything.

It's interesting to me, because I know a couple Bungie guys.  They have a whole lot of sway in Microsoft about processes and development, and I know they had a good profit-sharing plan in place.  Will be interesting when I can get the full story.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2007, 08:43:39 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 02, 2007, 08:19:02 PM

It's interesting to me, because I know a couple Bungie guys.  They have a whole lot of sway in Microsoft about processes and development, and I know they had a good profit-sharing plan in place.  Will be interesting when I can get the full story.

I'm wondering if it isn't a bit of a split.  A lot of old timers and the like leave to form an independent company who still act as "consultants" for the franchise while a the rest remain employees of MGS and do the bulk of the work. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 09:53:20 PM »

From game Informer:

"Rumors are floating abound that Halo masterminds Bungie will be leaving Microsoft. The rumor’s source being a reader blog from Seattlepi.com stating that in fact, as of yesterday, Bungie is no longer part of Microsoft. While the majority of Internet denizens are stating that this could never happen and that it’s not true, we’ve heard the opposite. From a source close to Bungie, Game Informer has  learned this rumor has some merit. It looks like with Halo 3, Bungie really is finishing the fight.

Our source stated that Bungie is “tired of Making Halo, and didn’t want to do future Halo games.” For an unstated, but significant amount of money, Bungie shareholders bought the studio name back from Microsoft. Our source also revealed that even though Microsoft will retain the rights to Halo, Microsoft also has “the right of first refusal on future games.” This means that Microsoft has the first shot at publishing Bungie’s future titles. How this will come into play if Bungie decides they want future game X to appear on the PlayStation 3 and Wii alongside an Xbox 360 release will make things quite interesting.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1002.1438.22348.htm
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2007, 10:18:03 PM »

First that and now this..... disgust

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PlayStation: Spinks      ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2007, 11:51:41 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on October 02, 2007, 10:18:03 PM

First that and now this..... disgust

biggrin  i like the placement of the ms logo

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2007, 12:35:08 AM »

Not many big corporate news releases occur on a SATURDAY.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2007, 02:41:36 AM »

so are we thinking this maybe like a medal of honor(EA>>infinity wards) split?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2007, 07:09:16 AM »

The basic idea that people think happened is Bungie, tired of making Halo games, and MS, wanting nothing but Halo games from Bungie (and probably affecting the story quality with their demands) decided to split.  Bungie must have exercised some sort of option available them to buy themselves away from MS.  It's the terms were reported as MS owns Halo outright, and has first access to any games Bungie makes (not sure for how long, and not sure the proper title for this kind of agreement).

And in all honesty, they've been working on practically the same game, and gameplay for what's it now, when did Halo 1 start development?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2007, 07:23:06 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 03, 2007, 07:09:16 AM

The basic idea that people think happened is Bungie, tired of making Halo games, and MS, wanting nothing but Halo games from Bungie (and probably affecting the story quality with their demands) decided to split.  Bungie must have exercised some sort of option available them to buy themselves away from MS.  It's the terms were reported as MS owns Halo outright, and has first access to any games Bungie makes (not sure for how long, and not sure the proper title for this kind of agreement).

And in all honesty, they've been working on practically the same game, and gameplay for what's it now, when did Halo 1 start development?

according to Wiki,21st July 1999 was when they annouced Halo to be a game for Windows and Mac OS...over two years later it would be released on Xbox,Nov 15th 2001

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »

It's called first right of refusal.  Any new game ideas Bungie has they have to give MS first dibs as publisher.  If MS decides to pass on the game then Bungie can shop up to other publishers and, at that point, would probably have the option of publishing on multiple platforms.  I'm guessing the agreement doesn't apply to the portable space though, since MS doesn't publish games on handhelds. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2007, 03:15:33 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on October 03, 2007, 12:35:08 AM

Not many big corporate news releases occur on a SATURDAY.

unless you want to bury them  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2007, 09:10:31 PM »

in the end if MS own both the Halo and PGR franchises.....then let them go if they want,shame that they would go but......fuck em icon_wink...they havent done enough other games that stand out for me to really be crying over this

unbreakable
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2007, 11:55:33 PM »

The basic idea that people think happened is Bungie, tired of making Halo games, and MS, wanting nothing but Halo games from Bungie (and probably affecting the story quality with their demands) decided to split.

Seeing as Halo is the same type of game as Marathon, that means most of their games were FPS.  This rumor makes as much sense as saying Valve is sick of making Half-Life, or Blizzard is sick of Warcraft.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »

The basic idea that people think happened is Bungie, tired of making Halo games, and MS, wanting nothing but Halo games from Bungie (and probably affecting the story quality with their demands) decided to split.

It could also be that Bungie isn't the best storyteller. I'm failing to see how (given that they were in charge of handling the crown jewel) that the pressure was any different than what any other high-visibility dev studio faces.

That being said, I don't think that MS and Bungie going separate ways is the end of the MS Halo train or something worse than what we've had. The gameplay balancing that went into HALO3 was more MS, not Bungies, work. Read the latest Wired mag for details on that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2007, 06:18:11 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 03, 2007, 11:55:33 PM

Seeing as Halo is the same type of game as Marathon, that means most of their games were FPS.  This rumor makes as much sense as saying Valve is sick of making Half-Life, or Blizzard is sick of Warcraft.

there was Oni and Myth.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2007, 06:25:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 06:17:02 PM

That being said, I don't think that MS and Bungie going separate ways is the end of the MS Halo train or something worse than what we've had. The gameplay balancing that went into HALO3 was more MS, not Bungies, work. Read the latest Wired mag for details on that.

I loved Halo 3 very much but after playing it I think that super scientific gameplay testing facility is a bunch of bunk.  Something like Level 8 should never have gone through as-is.  I'm not nearly as hard on Lvl 8 as some people but if there goal was to make the game less frustrating to casuals then that level had no place in the game.  Same thing for the Brute hallway in Level 2 and maybe even the defend the bunker section of Level 3.  Both sections seem to be abnormally hard compared to the difficulty of the rest of the encounters on their respective levels. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2007, 07:17:43 PM »

I agree that it isn't perfect, but the balancing in the game is pretty darned good. I DO agree that it is pretty short.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 06:18:11 PM

there was Oni and Myth.

they need to continue those franchises!

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2007, 03:18:44 PM »

Rumor no more- Confirmed:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/oct07/10-05BungieEvolvesPR.mspx

Bungie to become independent while maintaining a publishing relationship with MS for future Halo and other IPs. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »

We will continue to develop with our primary focus on Microsoft's platforms

so,no PS3/Wii Bungie then?.... what does Primary focus really mean?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2007, 03:46:53 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 05, 2007, 03:43:37 PM

Most likely MS has first right of refusal for any proposed Bungie games (likely excluding handhelds).  If MS opted to pass then Bungie would be free to shop an idea to a different publisher that could potentially put the game on other platforms.

In reality, I expect MS won't pass on any proposed ideas. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 03:48:03 PM »

Look at the success of Valve from getting out from under Sierra ... this is not a bad thing.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »

Maybe it won't take two years to get a crappy port to the PC now...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2007, 03:50:10 PM »

Bungie didn't do the ports, and I'm SURE there's a Halo exclusivity clause.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »

thanks Kev

i just saw this on bungie.net.
http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12834

Almost Nobody asked,

What’s all this about Bungie and Microsoft splitting up?

Bungie Branches Off

As you have no doubt read on the web today, Microsoft Corp. and Bungie Studios, have reached an unprecedented and exciting agreement – starting immediately, Bungie will become an independent company and will retain a long-term publishing agreement with Microsoft Game Studios for “Halo” titles.  The new structure became effective on Oct. 1, 2007.   The official blurb follows, but since you’re a valuable part of our community, we thought we’d sum it up simply and concisely.

Bungie has long been built on creativity, originality and the freedom to pursue ideas. Microsoft agreed, and rather than stifle our imagination, they decided it was in both our best interests to unleash it. We’ll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we’ll continue to make amazing games for MGS. In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios. Microsoft is and will continue to be, a brilliant, inventive and creatively collaborative publishing partner. Practically speaking, nothing has changed and you guys won’t see much, if any difference, for a while  unless you come to work for us

i think the mountain out of a molehill reward goes to the Seattle post or whatever the original publication was

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=10426

Official announcement of the split.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2007, 03:55:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 05, 2007, 03:43:37 PM

no, there'll be PS3/Wii ports, but they'll be crappy  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »

I don't think it's a mountain out of a molehill- honestly, voluntarily giving up the developer of your most successful property is a big deal.  That exclusivity deal almost certainly is for a predefined period of time so sometime in the next five or so years Bungie will likely be completely independent of MGS. 

However, it sounds like MS probably made the best decision because if they hadn't agreed to this then I'm sure we'd be reading about a huge split in the company as key leadership broke off and formed their own company. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2007, 03:56:43 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 05, 2007, 03:54:53 PM

sweet!  Pimps at Sea here we come!!!!!  icon_lol

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2007, 04:33:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2007, 03:56:43 PM

We reviewed that!
http://www.gamingtrend.com/GameInfo/GameInfo.php?GameID=4622

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »

Nice Q and A with  Bungie at Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/bungie-owns-bungie-the-qa-307656.php
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 05, 2007, 07:27:48 PM

Wow, that was a really long winded way of saying absolutely nothing. 
unbreakable
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2007, 07:33:01 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 05, 2007, 04:33:37 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2007, 03:56:43 PM

We reviewed that!
http://www.gamingtrend.com/GameInfo/GameInfo.php?GameID=4622

Damn, now I have another reason to want an XB360
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2007, 10:24:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 05, 2007, 07:32:52 PM

Perhaps, but he did say they planned to focus on Microsoft platforms instead of just the Xbox 360.   That leaves open the possiblity of 'Games for Windows' development.  That wouldn't surprise me in the least.  With BHG working on the AOEIII expansion and Ensemble working on Halo Wars, that should leave a nice opening at MGS for, say, a new Myth game.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2007, 10:42:57 PM »

hmmm.  so the change is true but fundamentally changes nothing.  super. 

we need a new myth and a 360 sequel to oni. 

now maybe they can finally get halo ds out.  biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2007, 10:54:46 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on October 05, 2007, 10:24:33 PM

Perhaps, but he did say they planned to focus on Microsoft platforms instead of just the Xbox 360.   That leaves open the possiblity of 'Games for Windows' development.  That wouldn't surprise me in the least.  With BHG working on the AOEIII expansion and Ensemble working on Halo Wars, that should leave a nice opening at MGS for, say, a new Myth game.

I would say keep dreaming. The chances of us getting a Myth sequel after III bombed so badly are effectively zero, even if Bungie didn't develop it.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2007, 11:00:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 05, 2007, 10:54:46 PM

Quote from: Hrothgar on October 05, 2007, 10:24:33 PM

I would say keep dreaming. The chances of us getting a Myth sequel after III bombed so badly are effectively zero, even if Bungie didn't develop it.

Add to the fact that Take Two owns Myth now.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2007, 11:05:37 PM »

What I gather from this interview was that Bungie simply wanted to be able to run their team in their own way rather than have to adhere to Microsoft's rules, they want to feel more like a development team than a corporation. What I don't understand is what direction the Halo series will be taking after this. New developer?

*After Edit*

I read Bungie's post on their forums, looks like they have an agreement with MS to keep making the Halo games.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:10:06 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2007, 11:28:29 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 05, 2007, 11:05:37 PM

What I gather from this interview was that Bungie simply wanted to be able to run their team in their own way rather than have to adhere to Microsoft's rules, they want to feel more like a development team than a corporation. What I don't understand is what direction the Halo series will be taking after this. New developer?

*After Edit*

I read Bungie's post on their forums, looks like they have an agreement with MS to keep making the Halo games.

My guess for Halo 4 is that Bungie will be acting as a consultant- providing code, resources, the Halo "Bible", etc but another group will actually do a lot of the actual development. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: