http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 03:45:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fight Night Round 4 Impressions  (Read 5208 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »

As an example, I got the crap beat out of me by “virtual jblank” while I was playing as “virtual coop”.

Ahem...Virtual Devil?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 01:51:30 PM »

I got the game yesterday but only had a chance to get in one quick exhibition fight. I chose Mike Tyson (how could I not?), and was immediately disappointed to see that he didn't have his crazy man face tattoo. I picked one of the weaker heavyweights as my opponent because I wanted to lay into him like Mike did Robin Givens. It didn't turn out that way, though. He was a very defensive fighter, and while I landed a few solid blows here and there, I was wailing away like there was no tomorrow. I knocked him down once in the 6th and once again in the 8th, but the bastard kept getting up. Doesn't he know that I'm Mike Tyson? Stay down, punk! The 10th and final round came and I was all punched out. I could barely swing my arms, and the dude I was fighting came after me hard. With only a minute left in the fight, he hit me with a hard counter that knocked me to the floor. I couldn't believe that I was about to lose a fight that up to this point I had been dominating. Thankfully, I was able to stagger to my feet after 8 seconds and then just ran away blocking for the final few seconds of the match. It was enough for me to win by split decision-- one judge had me winning big, another by just a single point, and the 3rd had my losing by 2 points (the final round each judge scored it for my opponent 10-8).

So yeah, this game looks like it's going to completely rule. I can't wait to play more tonight.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »

The scoring has been wonky...just like in real life.
I guess some judges see things way differently.

And the difficulty does seem to ramp up pretty quickly as you go up in rank.
So far...I'm really liking this game.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on June 25, 2009, 02:35:30 PM

The scoring has been wonky...just like in real life.
I guess some judges see things way differently.

And the difficulty does seem to ramp up pretty quickly as you go up in rank.
So far...I'm really liking this game.

Did you play the previous ones? I have not (other than demos) but I'm very interested....

To everyone else: Can you run a career with a pre-made boxer? For example, could I take Mike Tyson from 0-0 and work him through the ranks?  Or are they all just one off fights?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »

Yes, I believe you can certainly do that.  I think it would start Tyson as a regular everyday young fighter, just like everyone else, and you would have to train, etc... and lead him to the top of the ranks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »

Great Impressions, Lockdown. I loved the demo. Loved the ESPN presentation. Does the commentary get repetitive to quickly?

I plan on picking this up on the way home tonight.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »

I have played the other Rounds.
This one seems to be a pretty big step up, not only in realistic gameplay, but in game options.

And to confirm, you can pick from a pool of "established" boxers and start out fresh with them.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »

Hey Scoop.  The commentary has not gotten repetitive yet.  But ask me again in about a week.   icon_smile    There might be an option to turn it off though.  Don't remember.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 25, 2009, 01:45:54 PM

As an example, I got the crap beat out of me by “virtual jblank” while I was playing as “virtual coop”.

Ahem...Virtual Devil?

I'm glad SOME jblank is wining on this game,  because the real one is a punching bag at this game. LOL  icon_biggrin

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »

How are you guys getting good knockdowns? Haymakers? Signature punches? I'm finding that if I don't use continuous Haymakers or Sig punches, I have no chance at knocking anyone down. My regular punches and jabs just don't seem to be any more than love taps.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »

In 6 fights, I have only knocked someone down twice.  One was a flash knockdown with a straight right, so I'm not sure that even "counts".  The other was a clean right hook to the head after a stun.  And that's in a total of like 26 rounds.  So I'm probably not the person that should be answering you.

LD

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »

Can I get a ban from this thread please? I do NOT want to spend another 100 bucks on a game...resistance is fading fast, and I've spent around 60 million already on games these past few months...

but DAMN the game sounds fun!

A new one
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 25, 2009, 06:18:11 PM

How are you guys getting good knockdowns? Haymakers? Signature punches? I'm finding that if I don't use continuous Haymakers or Sig punches, I have no chance at knocking anyone down. My regular punches and jabs just don't seem to be any more than love taps.

Signature punches and counters primarily for early stuns followed by knockdowns, later on just a good combo will work.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »

I finally cracked this open last night and used Mike Tyson to put a Robin Givins style beating on Tommy Morrison. As someone who used the analogue controls in FN R3 they feel so much smoother in round 4. The game running at 60 fps makes a big difference as well. I'm looking forward to playing more this weekend.

If anyone needs a punching bag hit me up for an online bout. I plan to create Andrew Gollota and hit below the belt early and often..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:22:57 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »

Ahhhh, well yesterday as soon as I decided I wanted to get this game on the way home, my girlfriend called and said my xbox died - Red Rings of Death. I was expecting this at some point since I had a launch 360 and it has always been noisy as hell and the CD drive would stick alot. Now I need to decide if Im going to send it in (its cost $100) or just by an arcade unit and make sure I get a Jasper.  disgust

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 26, 2009, 12:24:52 PM

If anyone needs a punching bag hit me up for an online bout. I plan to create Andrew Gollatta and hit below the belt early and often..
  Tongue

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »

Just to follow up my impressions with a few quick thoughts after playing again last night:

1.  In Legacy Mode, you are allowed to change your difficulty after every fight, if you wanted to.  This is nice, as you don't need to begin your career all over again.  I went from 0-6 at the hardest difficulty to 8-0 in the default difficulty.  (Maybe the one in the middle of these two would be perfect for me, but I'll try that out this weekend).

2.  Judges scoring.  Anyone who has played boxing games from way back knows that Judge 3 is always the crazy one.  This goes back further than I can remember, in every boxing game I've played.  I don't know why, or who decides this is a good idea, but it's there.  Now perhaps in FN4 it's purely coincidence, but there is no doubt whatsoever that the scoring in FN4 can be wonky.  Never to my knowledge, in the history of the sport, has J1 & J2 scored a round 10-9, only to have J3 score it 10-8 for the other guy.  This is with no knockdowns in a pretty standard round in which one fighter outpointed the other.  Yet I had it happen to me.  That's just simply a flat out error in the game.  A big deal?  Probably not.  Until of course one of these bizarre J3 scoring things happens in a very close fight where this error affects the outcome of who the winner is.  Personally, I'm not too concerned about it - but you guys should not be surprised if you get the game and this pops up.

3.  I believe switching the difficulty has done two things that I've noticed.  First, it makes the AI opponent a worse defender.  My % Landed Punches jumped from about 44% to around 58%.  And I can guarantee I didn't magically 'get better' over the course of one day.  I'm sure defense is tied into difficulty.  Also, I noticed the amount of counters landed by the A.I. and to a certain degree the number of punches thrown by the A.I. boxer both decreased by lowering the difficulty.  So perhaps it also is tied to aggression and intelligence somehow.  Other than that, I'm happy to say I observed nothing 'stupid' done by the A.I. when lowering the difficulty.  It still knew how to fight, how to take advantage of it's obvious "style", and when to cover up and clinch when in trouble.  All great signs.

4.  Probably the one thing I am enjoying most about the game right now is the significant difference I notice in the type of fighter I'm up against.  I personally have always struggled with "sniper" type boxers.  I fought one yesterday that just gave me fits, barely winning the fight, and this was against the default A.I.  I can guarantee on the Hardest setting he would have crushed me.  At the same time, if I see I'm up against a slugger, (as long as he's not TOO aggressive) - I do much, much better.  And like I stated before, there are multiple style fighters in the game. 

5.  I am not good at the training mini-games.  At all.  This frustrates me, as I was excellent at them in FN3.  I have seen numerous people complain about them, so I'm wondering if they are too hard, or we all just really suck.  Guess only time will tell.

6.  Haven't seen a lot of damage yet.  Cuts, swollen eyes, etc...  I really don't want to get into slider talk, but I've heard rumblings that the slider that affects this might need to be tweaked.  I haven't played enough with some real damaging fighters to comment on this yet.  I actually wouldn't mind seeing it toned down a bit from Rd3.  As long as the real bruisers can dish out the hurt, I'm ok with that.  Something to keep an eye on though.

That's about it for now I guess.  Way too early to give any type of final verdict for me, but overall FN4 continues to impress me at this point, and is still fun as heck to play.

LD

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »

I created a flamboyantly gay slugger who has pink gloves and bright blue sequined trunks. He's overweight and hirsute with a mullet and a cheesy mustache. After winning the amateur tournament-- in the championship match I actually knocked the guy down in the first 10 seconds with a delicious haymaker to the jaw-- I've gone on to a quick 3-0 start with 2 KOs. The professional matches are definitely a lot more difficult than the amateur tournament, but I'm still not having too much trouble on the default difficulty. Not once have I felt threatened. I may wait it out a few more matches to see if the difficulty ramps up as I progress through the ranks. If not, I may bump it up to the next difficulty level.

I gotta say, though: there really isn't too many gaming highs better than ducking under an opponents hook and leveling him with a devastating counter. The graphical effect of the counters, especially when it results in a knockdown, is incredibly satisfying.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on June 26, 2009, 03:06:26 PM

I've gone on to a quick 3-0 start with 2 KOs. The professional matches are definitely a lot more difficult than the amateur tournament, but I'm still not having too much trouble on the default difficulty.

Your next match should be the one to move up to Club Fighter and that's where I encountered my first challenge.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 26, 2009, 02:21:12 PM

2.  Judges scoring.  Anyone who has played boxing games from way back knows that Judge 3 is always the crazy one.  This goes back further than I can remember, in every boxing game I've played.  I don't know why, or who decides this is a good idea, but it's there.  Now perhaps in FN4 it's purely coincidence, but there is no doubt whatsoever that the scoring in FN4 can be wonky.  Never to my knowledge, in the history of the sport, has J1 & J2 scored a round 10-9, only to have J3 score it 10-8 for the other guy.  This is with no knockdowns in a pretty standard round in which one fighter outpointed the other.

I've actually seen this [over the course of a fight] quite a few times in real life (er, on TV).  Two judges score a fight 115-113 (essentially, 7 rounds to five), and a third score it 115 or 116-113 the other way.  Lewis v Holyfield 1 has scores of 113-116, 115-113, and 115-115 (Majority draw by a single freaking point, courtesy of Eugenia Williams).   Jameel McCline/Chris Byrd had the same thing happen (115-112, 114-113, 112-114).  It happens particularly if the fighter fights an akward or overly defensive style.  You never know if the Judge is going to care more about 'effective' or 'agressiveness'.

I mention this because a defensive counter-puncher (think Bernard Hopkins) can focus entirely on neutralizing an opponents offense - if a judge who looking at skill sees this, and it's bad enough, it's possible for him to score a 10-8 round.  If his two fellow judges are scoring activity only, they will score it 10-9 for the more active puncher, regardless of the punches registering or not.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:42:58 PM by Big Jake » Logged

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2009, 02:28:06 AM »

Just fought my first fight in the career thing. Won by decision and slowed my punching down a lot. Only 340 through the 3 rounds with a knockdown in the second.

Forgot how much fun this game was!

Won the amateur tourney 4-0 with 2 KOs.

Starting to think the default difficulty is too easy...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:53:26 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »

Rented it last night and thus far am having a lot of fun.

Questions:

1. I seem to get tagged all the time by counter punches  but even when I block one of their punches I don't usually get counter opportunities. Tips?

2. What in the world are you supposed to do with the heavy bag push? I cannot figure it out. Obviously you're supposed to move it as far as you can, but even if I hit it where the glowing rings are it barely moves. Tips?

3. What's the best way to stun someone? I get hit once (even with full health) and get stunned yet I have to put together multiple hit combos on the other guys to get them to start reeling and it's not usually until the middle rounds after I've worn their health down. Tips?

4. I've not seen any practical uses for weaving yet. Tips?

5. Best way to raise popularity? PPV? KOs? Tips?

Thus far I like all of the mini games. I wish there were a way to practice them though. Is there? Tips?

I started with MIke Tyson of course. Went 4-0 in the amatuer tourney with one 1 ko.

Am now 8 and oh with 5 kos. My first 3 fights were all uninanimous decisions, but I have won 5 straight by KO- and my last fight was won in the 10th. It was pretty exciting. It was also the first fight (8th) where I got knocked down- also by a single punch (tips?) to the temple. I got up in 3 but was determined to club that fool and ended up brutializing him for the last two rounds until the ref stopped it with the other fighter flat on his fool back.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »

1 - you have to block at just the right moment to get a counter, a held block the guy just punches into won't do it
2 - no idea, I auto-train because I found the training games to be a bitch
3 - lucky hit in the right spot or a brutal combo that knocks  their "momentary" health to nothing stuns - specialty punches often stun, haymakers have a good chance to stun as well,
4 - weaving is similar to blocking, if you dodge a punch you get a chance to counter-punch... I weave once in a while, I almost never block -but I'm what you might call aggressive slywink
5 - win fights - I was at 100% popularity by the time I hit contender - mostly KOs, some 1st round KOs (yah, I switched to amateur - it's so easy it amuses me, though in the top 20 it's less easy

I'd say if you want to practice the mini-games I'd say start another career player and just train train train

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2009, 01:19:14 AM »

Lost my first fight solely due to the lame stand up mechanic.  mad
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2009, 01:43:29 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 28, 2009, 01:19:14 AM

Lost my first fight solely due to the lame stand up mechanic.  mad

I wouldn't say solely, you did let yourself get knocked down. slywink

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2009, 05:26:02 AM »

After a 4-2 (3 KO) middleweight start on pro difficulty, Xander Cooper switched to amateur and retired as undisputed light heavyweight champ, taking all 3 light heavyweight belts in first round KOs. He ended his career at 49-2, 47 by KO. At amateur difficulty only one fight was a challenge and I can't remember the name of the opponent, it was the 11th ranked middleweight and he was as aggressive as Xander. I had to turtle for the last 3 very tense rounds and won a unanimous, but very close decision. I got the Greatest of All Time achievement, which was the goal of dropping difficulty, doubtful I could have come close on Pro at least without more practice and also 501 fights on Pro would take a hell of a lot longer. I won a bunch of amateur fights in Tyson time, less than half way through the first round.

I'm really enjoying the game and getting used to using the stick to throw the combos I want. It's going to hurt to go back up to pro!

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2009, 01:35:30 PM »

Well, I went out an bought an arcade Jasper 360. MAN! Is this thing quieter than my old launch 360. Shocking what a difference.

Ok, I LOVE the legacy mode. This is so much better than the last version of Fight Night. You really feel like you are in control of your fights destiny and the ranked board isn't static. Fights are moving up and down the rankings due to their own simulated fights and fights are starting as rookies or retiring too. Only unrealistic thing is all the fighters retired at the end of the year altogether at the same time. LOL. In real life fighter seem to retire 6 times a year between fights.

I'm playing at default difficulty and I find the AI is very good and also varied. Different styles make different fights. I have fought guys who throw haymakers and I'm able to counter then. I have fought guys who have good defense and its a bitch to ware them down. I haven't lost a fight against the AI but have got knocked down a few times because I wasn't careful about my defense. Good job, EA.

Training is hard but I like the challenge. I am slowly looking to use the controls to get better at throwing punchs and THAT IS the point of training so I'm fight with it being difficult. I also LOVE the commentary and it feels so realistic.

I have to say Lockdown's impressions are all spot on as well. This is a very well done game so far and they definitely made some good improvements.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »

So my Tyson run got bogged down by poor training and I bottomed out- losing two fights in a row due to no stamina- so i decided to start over...as Lennox Lewis.

Wow what a difference a guy with reach makes. Also, using the auto train for some of them really also makes a difference. I was KO'ing fools like crazy until once again I got caught with a counter, went down, couldn't get the stand up mini-game to work and lost.

I can't believe there's no way to practice the mini games. It's dumb.

Overall this is a great game though and I just might buy it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »

Question for those who have completed legacy mode:

Do you fight "real" boxers over the course of your career?  If I start a career with Tyson will I be facing Joe Frazier and Ali down the road?  Or is it just fictional guys?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 29, 2009, 01:22:03 PM

Do you fight "real" boxers over the course of your career?  If I start a career with Tyson will I be facing Joe Frazier and Ali down the road?  Or is it just fictional guys?

Lots of real guys with ridiculous stats at the top... and I put em all on their backs!

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 29, 2009, 01:27:18 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on June 29, 2009, 01:22:03 PM

Lots of real guys with ridiculous stats at the top... and I put em all on their backs!

Cool.  Thanks for the info.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 29, 2009, 01:02:17 PM

Isn't there a training option outside of legacy mode? I'm pretty sure I saw one right off the main menu (maybe under my corner?). I'll check when I get home.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on June 29, 2009, 05:39:12 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 29, 2009, 01:02:17 PM

Isn't there a training option outside of legacy mode? I'm pretty sure I saw one right off the main menu (maybe under my corner?). I'll check when I get home.

You can practice all of the mini games. I spent a half hour working on the maize bag alone. Just go to 'training' off the main menu I believe.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

Awesome. Thanks fellas.

I'll check it later. Any tips on heavy bag push?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2009, 03:50:00 AM »

So I'm working my way up the ranks and challenge the 23rd ranked fighter. He backs out and an 18th ranked TOmmy Morrison steps in....after pummeling me for the whole first round I hit the power button.

He keeps going directly for the body and even though I hit block and press down, he's still destroying my stamina. Tips?

It should give you the option to decline a fight with a guy so far ahead of you...especially last minute.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »

That guy is *ridiculous*.

I was 12-0 before I went up against him twice, lost both times. The first fight I was KOed in the *first* round.

Second fight was better, went to decision after 10, but still got knocked down 3 times. He has this uncanny ability to flash KO you or put you into the stun state where you only have a sliver of health left.

I checked his stats after and he basically has 90-100 in every stat, while I'm rolling with 60-70 still.

I guess fighting once a month and not getting in enough training has caught up to me. I'm trying to get two training sessions in per fight now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »

My rental is up today and my final thought is that I'm glad it's a rental.

I as the 25th rank guy with an overall rating in the high sixties (after 9 fights) should not be going up against PRIME George Foreman or PRIME Tommy Morrison...their stats should be modified to match their place in the rankings, my difficulty level, and, well, realism.   Not sure how a guy stuns me silly with a jab counter, but that's what TM does...and he gets the counter almost every single time.

Fighting George Foreman is even worse. He's got like 100 in both fists and 100 for a chin. Whatever.

3 out of 5.

Bah.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »

Maybe you just suck at the game?   icon_twisted

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »

Now that we are in the summer slowdown I'm thinking of getting this game. For those of you who have it, how well does it stand up after some time? Do you still play? Was it worth getting?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: