http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:48:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fight Night Round 4 Impressions  (Read 5187 times)
stimpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:17:40 AM »

Just got it, so not much time put in yet.
First thought is I hate the knockdown recovery system once again.
It seems like it should be easier to do than Round 3s' system was for me, but I havent got the hang of it yet.
Alot of options for game play.
Havent tried online yet. Got to figure out why I seem to be button mashing more than usual.

What are you thoughts?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:33:34 AM »

Where'd you find it?

Keep the impressions coming!

Poncho will be happy to know that I just played the demo and won a decision with Hatton by throwing 428 punches in 3 rounds.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:44:16 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:14:35 AM »

Preordered it from EA and to my surprise it came today.
So far I'm 4-0 and have won the Amateur Tournament.
I won my first 2 pro fights, but they were a bit harder.
Starting to get used to the controls. The AI seems to be pretty good, as it seems to pick up on my punch pattern and duck or move accordingly.
Also, when I stun a fighter, he knows to try and grab me and tie me up.
So far, not a bad game at all.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:18:33 AM »

I hope my copy is in tomorrow.

I loves me some boxing.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »

When is this due out in gamestop-like stores?  Today or Thursday?  For some reason, I have the 25th stuck in my brain, but I thought most game releases were on Tuesdays...   icon_confused

@ Devil:  143 punches thrown per round?  I seriously hope there is a mechanic in the game that lets boxers throw themselves out and has them completely run out of gas if they do.  This way, if by some miracle I can last until the 8th round or so, I can knock your butt out cause you can't lift your arms.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 23, 2009, 11:50:26 AM

When is this due out in gamestop-like stores?  Today or Thursday?  For some reason, I have the 25th stuck in my brain, but I thought most game releases were on Tuesdays...   icon_confused

@ Devil:  143 punches thrown per round?  I seriously hope there is a mechanic in the game that lets boxers throw themselves out and has them completely run out of gas if they do.  This way, if by some miracle I can last until the 8th round or so, I can knock your butt out cause you can't lift your arms.

The reason why you have the 25th stuck in your head, because it's my birthday, and you were going to send me Prototype on the xbox 360 Tongue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »

@ Devil:  143 punches thrown per round?

I was going light in that fight. There will be much more punches thrown at you when we play!

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 23, 2009, 01:06:09 PM

The reason why you have the 25th stuck in your head, because it's my birthday,

Seriously?  It's my B-day too.  Also.....it's halfway to Xmas everyone!!!
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »

I just got a gamestop gift card for my birthday so I'll be picking this up this week. It'll actually be my first game purchase since SF4.  eek That's probably my longest purchasing hiatus in at least 5 years.

If anybody wants to rumble this weekend, feel free to send me an invite. Just be forewarned, I love low blows.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »

Cool!

I didn't know the game was going to have sliders.  I know Devil hates sliders, but I love them!  

Woot!

Oh... and from an interview at OpSports, this sounds like what I wished they had done with Tiger Woods 10.

OS: Can you give us some detailed information on the Online World Championship mode?

Mike Mahar: Some key highlights of the Online Championship Mode are;
- 3 Weight Classes (Light Weight, Middle Weight, Heavy Weight). We did this to ensure there was always a critical mass of users to fight against.
- Region-less game play…Each user can be matched up against boxers from regions around the world (U.S.A., Canada, UK, France…etc).
- 1 Championship Belt per weight Class. The person holding the belt is truly the champion of the world for their weight class.
- Created Characters only. We want user’s to be representing with their virtual selves.
- All boxers will have their ratings leveled based on their key attributes. Everyone is on a level playing field, your success will be measure based on how good you are at the sweet science of boxing and not how good your characters ratings are.
- User can be awarded sub titles other than the belt…for example;
o Highest Ranked in Region
o Most Wins
o Most KO’s
o Highest Win %
o Fastest Win
o Etc
- Each of these awards will handed out per region. For example, we’ll award ‘Most KO Wins’ for Canada, France...based on every region.
All in all the mode if focused on delivering a platform for users to fight head to head with similar ratings in similar weight classes to determine who is truly the best of the best .. and who earns the right to be called the Champion of the World.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:20:36 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:47:47 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 23, 2009, 10:07:42 PM

Cool!

I didn't know the game was going to have sliders.  I know Devil hates sliders, but I love them!  

Woot!

Oh... and from an interview at OpSports, this sounds like what I wished they had done with Tiger Woods 10.

OS: Can you give us some detailed information on the Online World Championship mode?

- 3 Weight Classes (Light Weight, Middle Weight, Heavy Weight). We did this to ensure there was always a critical mass of users to fight against.
- Region-less game play…Each user can be matched up against boxers from regions around the world (U.S.A., Canada, UK, France…etc).
- 1 Championship Belt per weight Class. The person holding the belt is truly the champion of the world for their weight class.
- Created Characters only. We want user’s to be representing with their virtual selves.
- All boxers will have their ratings leveled based on their key attributes. Everyone is on a level playing field, your success will be measure based on how good you are at the sweet science of boxing and not how good your characters ratings are.
o Most Wins
o Most KO’s
o Highest Win %
o Fastest Win
o Etc
- Each of these awards will handed out per region. For example, we’ll award ‘Most KO Wins’ for Canada, France...based on every region.
All in all the mode if focused on delivering a platform for users to fight head to head with similar ratings in similar weight classes to determine who is truly the best of the best .. and who earns the right to be called the Champion of the World.

That's awesome finally a game of skill instead of the usual exploits or maxed out created fighters or only the top fighters being used. thumbsup

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 11:09:17 PM »

Great!

"This game may, or may not suck. If it does, you fix it.

Love Always - Game Developers"

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 08:16:42 AM »

How's the advertising and product placement this time around?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 12:12:20 PM »

@ Turtle:  No idea.  I haven't seen comments on it in the threads at OpSports.

Speaking of which, to save you guys the downright painful experience of wading through the volumes of crap over there, I pulled out part of a post that might make the people interested in more of a "realistic" fight result happy.  In general, his post was in regards to slider adjustment:

I dropped the punch output to 20, raised speed to 80 and it was like I was playing a different game.

Now the first two fights I played were my first two bouts of my legacy so my guy wasn't that good. I couldn't hold my own against similar rated boxers, it was discouraging to say the least. But it was beneficial because I realized I couldn't compete on G.O.A.T difficulty (my stubborn competitive side allows me to believe I can play every game on the hardest difficulty right away).

I dropped the difficulty to champion and made the slider changes above, and it made for an exciting bout that I was never able to have in FNR3. I was K.O.'d in the 11th but was ahead on points on all but one of the scorecards (he had it at a tie). It was great! I never used to think ahead in FNR3 but in this fight I was just trying to take a round to evade and conserve energy hoping I could capitalize and be fresher in the later rounds. I had to think, and if I wasn't so bad at this game right now I think my gameplan would have worked. I'm not too familiar with boxing so I wasn't quite sure what type of boxer Mora is, but he seemed well balanced mostly picking me apart from medium range while I was trying to keep my distance. Does this seem right for him?

So for the sliders it seemed as if dropping it to 20 paid dividends because the lowest punches he threw in a round were 38 and the highest was 61. It was extremely noticeable since before I couldnt get a punch in on the CPU, he would just be going crazy lol. The speed made a HUGE difference, it didn't feel like the boxers were stuck in mud anymore. Having sliders in this game was a great idea, and should allow us to make the best experience possible.

. . . .

Back when I used to follow boxing a lot closer than I do now, I would say that an general ballpark somewhat accurate # of punches thrown per round would be between 55-75 in most cases.  You could get technical and base it on weightclass and whatnot, but I'm being very general.  I'm not sure what the "modern era" fighters are doing, but I would imagine it's not much higher than that.  So this post is encouraging.  - LD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:16:41 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 12:30:42 PM »

I've read enough good things to make me purchase this game after not being very interested before. 

It appears that at least 25% of the OP Sports guys like it.  That's good enough for me.   icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 12:46:39 PM »

I dropped the punch output to 20, raised speed to 80 and it was like I was playing a different game.

I dropped the difficulty to champion and made the slider changes above

So for the sliders it seemed as if dropping it to 20 paid dividends

Great! Another game that I'll spend more time tweaking than playing!  Roll Eyes

Having sliders in this game was a great idea, and should allow us to make the best experience possible.

Or the worst.

Sliders are nice and all, but this is what the game devolves into. Set this at 20, this at 40, that at 20, this at 45....play two bouts, analyze all the stats, go back and set this at 35, set this at 22, set that at 43, set this at 28...play two bouts analyze all the stats...

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 23, 2009, 10:07:42 PM

Cool!

Woot!

o Most Wins
o Most KO’s
o Highest Win %
o Fastest Win
o Etc

awesome
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 24, 2009, 12:46:39 PM

Having sliders in this game was a great idea, and should allow us to make the best experience possible.

Or the worst.

Sliders are nice and all, but this is what the game devolves into. Set this at 20, this at 40, that at 20, this at 45....play two bouts, analyze all the stats, go back and set this at 35, set this at 22, set that at 43, set this at 28...play two bouts analyze all the stats...

I generally agree with you. And that is why I have learned to stay out of the Op Sports forums.  The majority of the people there will NEVER be happy with sports games.  Everyone has their own opinion on what is "realistic."  Since when playing online the slider settings are meaningless anyway, I generally never mess with them.  I want the game to play like it does online.  I can understand using the sliders if you just play single player.  Buit for me playing sports games against the CPU gets boring fast.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »

You do realize you don't have to touch them, right?

The game arrived yesterday, I played through the amateur tournament winning pretty easily (on default difficulty - second one I think), only the first match was really competitive and that was mostly me getting used to punching with the stick (I was a face button masher in FNR3). All the tourny fights were decisions.

Then I scheduled my first fight one month out and I got my first taste of training. Holy crap. I did the one where you circle the bag punching from a specified position and I did horribly. Fighter is so slow. I got +1s out of a possible +6.

I fought my first pro fight and got knocked down in the 4th, which was the first time I hit the mat, btu I got up fast and knocked my opponent down in return.  I put him to the mat for good in the 6th.

It is definitely possible to punch yourself out of the fight if you don't watch your stamina or don't hit enoguh to earn some good corner points to recover stamina.

Overall I'm enjoying it quite a bit, though I may be auto-training. Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 01:51:47 PM »

Great! Another game that I'll spend more time tweaking than playing!  Roll Eyes

Sliders are nice and all, but this is what the game devolves into...

Oh would you stop with your whining already!

You know good and well you won't touch a slider, and will instead focus on beating the crap outta' me by throwing as many punches as humanly possible until you knock me out or fall over in exhaustion.  

LD

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »

Or the worst.

Or you could accept that different people like different things, and sliders give them the ability to make them closer to their own preferences. Then you have the choice to never touch the sliders at all!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »

lol, I can honestly say I have NEVER done this in any game with sliders
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 02:50:46 PM »

I have some interest in boxing games, but the past it was always something where you set strategies and then let your boxer go at it, making adjustments as the rounds progressed. I'm assuming that FNR4 is something different, apparently real time punch throwing. My question is, for those of us (ok, *me*) who have appalling slow reaction times, is this game even worth getting? Will I be hopelessly handicapped by being unable to keep up with the game speed?

Will there be bouncing betties?  slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »

To all you slider pansies:

I appreciate that people like them and use them, but the game turns into tweaking sliders instead of boxing, and I'm guilty of this as well.

Just the thought of making the game better through sliders becomes the game.

Already Ponchy cut some info on someone tweaking the game...Why do you think they are doing it? To make the game better and more realistic? Yep. Doesn't kinda say that the game wasn't realistic out of the box?

Tweak away!

I'll still kick all your asses!!  icon_twisted

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »

I probably won't touch the sliders.

While it's nice to make it more realistic, sometimes you want the unrealistic games since it is still a game.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »

@jztemple: I think you may be ok.  At first it may seem a bit overwhelming, but once you start to "get it" - I think you might find it enjoyable.  You could theoretically create a very defense-minded fighter, who purposely tries to slow things down in the ring, so you wouldn't have to 'twitch' as much. 

That being said, FN4 is most certainly an action boxing game through and through, or at least... is meant to be played that way.  Although there is strategy between rounds in how to spend your points (recovery, healing, stamina) - the majority of the game strategy is spent in real-time IN the ring.  So instead of between rounds picking options like "Stick & Move" or "Charge In" or "Fight Defensively" - you are literally controlling your boxer to do just that.  How well you execute those strategies comes down to 3 things: How good your ratings are at what you're trying to do; how well you yourself can manage to do what you want to do using the little sticks on the controller; and how good your opponent is at countering what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps.   icon_confused

LD

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »

I have the PS3 version.
My gamer tag is acestimpy, if anyones looking for a beatdown.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on June 24, 2009, 02:50:46 PM

.....real time punch throwing.

icon_lol

Only on the PS3 version.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:29:27 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 06:40:08 PM »

Picked it up at lunch today.

Can't wait to spend hours on the sliders!  Tongue

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »

Grabbed my copy at lunch as well.

levendis13 on live.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »

Well this game is so realistic I have my first Fight Night injury! Blister on my left thumb from ducking and weaving like a crazy fool.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »

I picked this up last night I think they made the stamina vs punches thrown pretty realistic I almost punched myself out in the amateur tourney.
I was a button masher in FN RD3. nod

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »

Lots of button mashing online.....but I suck, so it's no big deal. I can't win a single match online, but I'm doing decent against the CPU on Pro difficulty. I have a REALLY hard time landing anything that does any damage. Any advice?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 12:41:41 AM »

Button mashing?  I thought you could only throw punches with the stick now?
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 25, 2009, 12:41:41 AM

Button mashing?  I thought you could only throw punches with the stick now?

Pardon me, poor choice of words. I should have said stick mashing. smile In any event, I doubt it would have mattered, I'm just horrid at the game lol.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 01:04:17 AM »

Just wondering, but is there still that situation where someone will mash the stick constantly to do that constant learning and dodging with no penalty?  That was stranger to me than button mashing in FNR3, all that pointless dodging and leaning should take toll on stamina, but instead it was the equivalent of bunny hopping in FNR3 all the defensive benefits, none of the drawbacks.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »

I created my boxer - A stunning mix of electric blue and purple will be coming after Poncho soon.

Was shocked to see how thick and informative the manual is. EA outdoes themselves this time. NINE fact filled pages!

It wore me out so I'm going to bed without even playing.

I'll live through you guys until tomorrow night.

Keep the slider talk going!  slywink

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 03:40:23 AM »

I spent quite a bit of time with the game tonight.

I'll say this for one thing:  I played Rd. 3 a lot.  I don't remember ever losing against the AI on the hardest setting.  And don't be silly enough to think I'm bragging, because I'm not.  It wasn't a grand feat.  Simply knowing how to counterpunch the AI was all it took.  Anyone could have done it.  

I have fought 6 fights against the AI on the hardest difficulty in Rd.4.  I won zero.  My % of punches landed is atrocious, and I am really trying to fight smart.  I am extremely encouraged by this.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I would have lost those fights on the 2nd to hardest setting, I got my clock cleaned so bad.

Hmmm... there is a lot I could post about how fantastic I think the game is from both a gameplay and immersion standpoint.  I'm not really sure where to start.  I guess I'll leave my first impressions as I really like the game a ton, and hope it continues to impress as I learn it more.  I feel extremely unfit to go online yet to compete against the masses.  (this does not include you, Nancy.  I'll fight you anytime.)    Actually, I don't think I'm very good at the new system at all.  I have a lot to learn.  I messed around with the features a bit, including creating a boxer using the gameface thing.  My nephew modeled and we put him into the game.  It's pretty slick.  Also like the stats the game keeps on your career, the fact that you can import created boxers so effortlessly from xbox live, and the freedom you have to put them into your pool of fighters.  I think it's very impressive.  I'm exhausted though, so I think that's enough from me except to say there are guys online that have already fought an enormous amount of bouts.  I just don't understand how they manage to do it.  Crazy.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:42:11 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »

Some impressions now that I’m awake:

+ Fighter Creation feature is nice.  To me, it’s not too intensive, but gives a good amount of customization.  Choosing clothing/color combinations is pretty easy with the “wheel” system they use.  If you don’t use the EA Gameface feature, you don’t have an outstanding number of ways to make your guy look that different from everyone else, but certainly plenty of choices for a game like this.  It’s no Tiger Woods, but I’m not sure it really needs to be.

+ There are two basic ways to create a fighter.  The first is through the Legacy Mode itself, which is faster because the entire last screen involving putting points toward your fighter’s skills is missing.  You start with generic stats based on your fighter’s style, (of which there are about 7 or so I think).  You also get to choose what his stance is like while fighting, what type of swinger he is (fast, power, balanced), and what form of defense he employs.  The second way to create would be used more for creating the Oscar de la Hoya’s or Rocky Balboa’s of the world.  You make the guy, do all the same stuff as above, but then are given around 450 points or so to tweak his ratings.  If you choose to fight as or versus this guy in any single-player mode except Legacy, you use him as created.  If you choose to use him in Legacy, it simply balances out his stats to be a fighter beginning his career.  In other words, he might go from an overall rating of say, 85 to maybe 55 or 60.

+  The menus are nice and relatively well laid out; a minor miracle itself.  This is especially noticeable when going online to check out the created boxers that have been uploaded to the EA servers for everyone’s use.  You’ll find created Rocky and Appollo Creed, just as easily as you’ll find Oscar, Mayweather, Holmes, or the pretty nice list of boxers the users are already creating.  Some users even go so far as to use Gameface to make the fighters look like they do in real life.  Pretty freakin’ sweet if you ask me.  You can also sort by popularly downloaded, highest ratings, etc, etc…  This is good, as the cream of the crop creations will theoretically rise to the top, and will make it easier to find the De la Hoya most people agree is the best one out there.

+  Creating your own fighters and fighting against them.  This is just too much fun.  I have created a number of forum members just for fun, and have fought against my own creations with my other creations.  As an example, I got the crap beat out of me by “virtual jblank” while I was playing as “virtual coop”.  You see, when you create a fighter, you also get to assign an AI style to him.  So if you were to create Larry Holmes, and made him an Outside Fighter, he would fight you that way, using his jabs and reach to set up his straights and hooks.  It’s pretty damn awesome.

+  I’ve barely scratched the surface of Legacy Mode, but it really immerses you into it from the get-go.  You start as an amateur and fight your way through the bracket tournament on your way to the pro’s.  My nephew created a straight up slugger and won the tournament.  I think I created a pure boxer and lost in the opening fight.  He then started his professional career and got knocked out in the 6th round on a fight he was winning, because he punched himself out; to start his career 0-1.  I got absolutely dominated in my first professional career fight.  The neat part was, he fought in some dusty, old gym; while my first fight was in Mexico City or something in front of a nice sized crowd with a ring introduction and everything.  I’m sure the randomness is probably based on something, I just don’t know what it is yet.

+ GAMEPLAY:  Well… I don’t really know where to start.  I have some initial complaints that I’ll get out of the way first. (probably because I suck, but nonetheless…) :  I think the game might possibly favor the slugger, as dancing away from them seems a bit difficult.  The out-of-the-box foot speed seems to be sluggish.  Now, bear in mind, I have only fought with 55-60 rating beginning fighters so far, so taking Ali or Sugar Ray may totally change my mind on this.  But in the beginning at least, it’s not easy to get away from aggressive brawlers.  Also, the counter system is much, much harder to pull off than FN3, but it can be devastating when done correctly.  I’m wondering if it’s almost too powerful… only time will tell.  Other than those two things (so far), it is just pure excellence from a fighting perspective.  Blocking is done so well this time around for example.  When you block, you are effectively ‘covering up’ – and can withstand a great amount of punishment.  It’s very protective.  To balance this out though, you move slower, you recover stamina a tiny bit slower while blocking, the longer you are in the blocking stance the less effective it is - as your opponent can begin to slip punches through, and you have a block meter which decreases so you can not turtle the entire fight.  It seems quite fair.  Despite my early reservations regarding the ‘strength’ of counterpunching, the system itself is flatout awesome.  Landing an effective counter punch is a rush.  And to make it all the better, it is not simply a quick boxer’s tool.  It can be used quite effectively whether you are dancing or in close ala Joe Frazier, working the guys body to death.  Slip out of the way and BAM!  Block at the exact right time and BAM!  

+ Stamina:  Stamina gets it’s own bullet point because it was SUCH a big deal in FN3 and had so many people worried (including me) because of the demo.  Stamina seems to be done incredibly well, at least with low rated created fighters.  You can and will without a shadow of a doubt punch yourself out and leave yourself incredibly vulnerable if you are a ‘stick masher’.  I saw it happen over and over again during my 6 fights and my nephews 5 fights.  My nephew especially tends to throw too many punches.  Each and every single time he did, the AI made him pay.  You can see and feel yourself go sluggish, and you become susceptible to being hurt easier.  This ties into the way that head movement works as well.  In FN3, when you blew your load (which let’s all admit, was pretty tough to do to begin with), you could sit back and turtle up while your stamina replenished.  Not so in Rd4.  Moving your head around will help protect you (bob & weave).  But only for so long… and while you’re doing it, your stamina is recovering remarkably slow.  It’s quite brilliant.  Now… how this will translate into the online mode is unknown to me.  I can only hope it does… but after reading jblank’s initial thoughts, I’m not so sure.  But at the very least, it seems to work great in the Legacy mode.

Whew… I think that’s plenty for now.  I could on and on and on, but I’ll wait until I get to test out some different modes and different difficulites than just the hardest, before I compliment the game too much more.  My impressions are based on really only one type of mode so far, which isn’t enough to universally praise it yet.  And I will be testing lower difficulties as well, cause going 0-6 isn't exactly making me all warm and fuzzy either.

edited for some clarification
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:18:22 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »

After 6 pro matches I'm 4-2 with 3 KOs. I started out 3-0 with 3 KOs, and the match to jump up to club fighter was freakin hard compared to all my previous matches. It was very cool though as it was a step up in venues... sadly I left on a stretcher.

My 6th fight, which was my comeback win after 2 losses in a row, was flagged as an ESPN Classic, 10 rounds to decision. Both fighters were dog tired at the end. Like my hero, Devil, I threw over 1300 punches in those 10 rounds. At the end, my stamina bar was at about 30%. On the plus side, almost 60% of the punches landed and I got the decision easily despite being knocked down once more.

Believe it or not I've actually slowed down my offense, taken some time to look for counterpunches, but when they leave their face open I can't help but wail away until they get their arms up. If my opponent doesn't have a bloody left eye by the end of the second round, I'm not doing my job!

Regarding training, I'm sticking with auto-training. It gets you +3s vs the +1s I was getting on my own. The max is +6 but that seems freakin impossible to me.  crybaby

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: