http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FFXI - which server? Asura for me!  (Read 2509 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2006, 03:50:38 PM »

Hi all,

Just letting you know that I will be going to Asura server, so will Metallicorphan, and about a dozen of our best friends we've never met,  lol.

All I really know about it is that it supposedly is somewhat of a more international group - not like some that are all U.S. or all Japanese, etc.  But I'm really just talking through my hat here (see how polite I can be?), I haven't done any research of my own...

Metal.. care to fill in the blanks on Asura - if you know?  Cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »

LOL,i was going to say that i am going to asura as well....damn,you beat me to it

hmm,myto,i havent got a clue about what asura is like,when i played on the PC i was on sylph server

i have just heard the same about a lot of japanese,which is fine by me really

hey it comes out today for you doesnt it myto???....you'll have to tell me if you have tried to play your beta character

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »

No, Yome (who we have to get to join here!) says it comes out on Thursday in our stores... been too busy playing Oblivion to do my own research, lol.

It must not have been you, then that said that Asura was "more international" than some of the others, but my impression was "global" - not strictly Japanese.  

The only thing I don't like about playing with the non-English speakers, is my fault, because I don't know how to use the macros that can be used to speak phrases back.  I just go...  um, duh?  But we'll be working on those macros, right, lol?

And if we can get Purge on sooner than he implies he's going to... there's another macro expert! I'll be macro-ed half to death by the time I'm done!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:09:10 PM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

No.

No. no. nooo. Uh-uh. Nix. Nada. Nein. Nope.

Wellllll... maybe just one... slywink

/em dances with <t>'s lifeless corpse
/wait 5
/dance motion
/wait 9
/wave motion

Man, I don't have time for it.

Also, just to you let you all know, if you have old PC chars you can have them reinstated to any server right now (as they have the return to van'adiel promo on right now).

I may pick it up just to get stabbetty moved to Asura

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »

may pick it up just to get stabbetty moved to Asura

YAY, lol, the legend... Stabbetty coming to Asura... the crowd is silent, the suspense amazing.... I can't stand it, my head's definitely going to asplode!
 :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Also, just to you let you all know, if you have old PC chars you can have them reinstated to any server right now (as they have the return to van'adiel promo on right now).

Oh snap, Chujimomo might be waking up from the dead and making a move.  I really must think this over.......

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:55:16 PM »

What's one of the all-US servers?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:18:16 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Quote from: "Purge"

Oh snap, Chujimomo might be waking up from the dead and making a move.  I really must think this over.......

NO CHRISTIAN NO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 10:59:09 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
The only thing I don't like about playing with the non-English speakers, is my fault, because I don't know how to use the macros that can be used to speak phrases back.  I just go...  um, duh?  But we'll be working on those macros, right, lol?

And if we can get Purge on sooner than he implies he's going to... there's another macro expert! I'll be macro-ed half to death by the time I'm done!  :twisted:

I recall it was quite easy, I think you hit "tab" and start typing.  There are only specific phrases contained in there, but if you combine them creatively, I found it was very easy to talk to people using their languages.  Sometimes I even used it for talking in English, just because it was often potentially faster.

Macros were pretty nice.  The strat guide's macro section was a must-have.  I always thought much of what was in the strat guide SHOULD have been in the game manual.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 02:21:54 AM »

I had no problem communicating and working along with Japanese players.  They were quite friendly and would generally understand what you meant with the translator.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 11:42:57 AM »

Heh, im on siren
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 12:59:36 PM »

(Help!)(Galka)(Meat)(Rod)(Burst)(inside)(TaruTaru)(Fun)(Hole)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 02:08:48 PM »

So....Asura it is then for the official GT server? I am installing now and need to know what server I should join! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 02:42:59 PM »

I don't feel like I have the ... ahem... proper authority to make it the... ahem... "official" GT FFXI server," lol - but everyone, do come to Asura, please!!! :lol:

FireFox, do you have tons of friends on your server already, or a group you could lean on to come with you to Asura?  The more the merrier!

I probably already said this somewhere, but I can't play until the 20th, which is when I can import my beta character, though I can get the game today.  frown

And, Purge, I may be wrong, but I think too close of a look at that last macro you posted might result in:  :oops: So, I'm not looking at it too closely... anymore...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 03:23:09 PM »

Man I LOVED the translation thing. biggrin

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 04:33:56 PM »

I don't feel like I have the ... ahem... proper authority to make it the... ahem... "official" GT FFXI server," lol - but everyone, do come to Asura, please!!! :lol:

FireFox, do you have tons of friends on your server already, or a group you could lean on to come with you to Asura?  The more the merrier!

I probably already said this somewhere, but I can't play until the 20th, which is when I can import my beta character, though I can get the game today.  frown

And, Purge, I may be wrong, but I think too close of a look at that last macro you posted might result in:  :oops: So, I'm not looking at it too closely... anymore...

You can import today it looks like.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news7401.shtml

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »

Uh oh, there goes the Grand Plan for the day, lol!

New plan... 1) play Oblivion now, since EB said the game would be in "in the afternoon" 2) take nap, don't feel great right now, and am obviously gonna really need it!  3) this evening, load FFXI,  and 4) lose what little of  my life was left at this point!

Oh well...  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 07:02:14 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I recall it was quite easy, I think you hit "tab" and start typing.  [...] Macros were pretty nice.  The strat guide's macro section was a must-have.  I always thought much of what was in the strat guide SHOULD have been in the game manual.

First of all, hitting tab will bring up ALL items (directory structure) that you can navigate. This includes locations, names, actions, spells, items, phrases, emotes, etc etc... there's ~19 root categories IIRC. If you are looking for ANY option, this is how to go about searching for commands.

TAB is more useful when combined with a letter or two of the word you're looking for. For example, typing in /d[TAB] will bring up a list including /dance. You could also put in s[TAB] and select from a list of EVERY S WORD... so go with Sou[TAB] to get the (South Ronfaure) that you were looking for.

Items are a special case with the translator. The only time items will show up  such as (Leaping Boots) is if the item is in your inventory (mog house, furniture, etc), or has been "seen" by your character (auction house, /check player etc) within the current session. For example,  if you saw the (Emperor's Pin) on someone yesterday and had typed emp[TAB] it would be listed then, but in today's session it would NOT be listed.

As to FAQ's for macros, I highly recommend GameFAQs.com. All the macros are universal, so check out the PC macro faqs.

The only thing I'd recommend the official guide for is for some maps, and all the newb quests. It answers far more, and when you've finished all the Bastok and you're trying to complete your Windurst quests it is recommended you NOT run around as a lvl40 nagging people on how to collect rabbit hides or stones. biggrin

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 08:31:29 PM »

Well, if Asura's the one, can someone provide a Worldpass for Asura?

Bonus points if it's a Gold Worldpass -- then whoever provides it and I get goodies because I count as a newb you brought into the game.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 02:23:32 AM »

I have a second char i can send over, just need a world pass
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 06:17:05 AM »

Ok I dug up this Asura worldpass that worked for my guy (Valence, 7 WHM):

No idea how many uses are left / how much time is left on the pass.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 02:40:11 AM »

That World Pass has expired.  I need one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 03:17:18 AM »

Nevermind...Mytocles got me one.  It has 4 uses left, so ask Mytocles nicely. smile

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »

Myto, it would be tremendously appreciated if I could get a use from that worldpass.  As an aside, how many people do we have playing and do we have a decent balance of classes?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 12:04:07 PM »

I made a black mage last night, with the name of Aakmer.  I started off in Bastok.  The starting city is one thing everyone forgot to mention.  Faction actually plays a role in this game and we should probably all try to be in the same faction.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 02:15:34 PM »

I am a Warrior in Bastok. Name.....Hetz. smile

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »

Well I still can't make up my mind on a job.  I thought Dragoon looked really cool, but reading up on it, many players are very dissapointed with the class.  I guess I am going to end up a red mage afterall.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 03:14:59 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Well I still can't make up my mind on a job.  I thought Dragoon looked really cool, but reading up on it, many players are very dissapointed with the class.  I guess I am going to end up a red mage afterall.
Many players are very disappointed with every class.  The grass is always greener, etc.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Keep in mind that Red Mage is just a basic job and you can go to any of the advanced jobs once you hit 30 and do the quest.  So, give it some time as red mage and then decide later if you want to do an advanced job or not.  I am starting black mage and then I will probably go Puppet Master later.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 03:58:29 PM »

Okay, as posted in the other thread, I have at least one (maybe 2) slots available on my World Pass... but I'm perfectly willing to get another.  

When I'm done on GT - I'm heading to Bastok, maybe about 12:10 Pm -"ish" Eastern time - in about 15 or 20 minutes.  Either send me a Friend request, or send me a Tell to see if I'm there.  I'm Myto on FFXI, Mytocles on Live.  And don't bother with the Playonline friend request or msgs.  - Metal is right, I don't use PO any more than I have to!

FireFox, I'm holding a slot on the World Pass so let me know if you still need it - it's yours.

And I urge everyone to use Bastok as their base, or move there if you don't mind.  It would make it super to be running into everyone from here at the Auction House, lol.   Tongue

Oh, and if you send me a Live request (I'll accept), please follow it up with a message as to who you are, if you are new here, or if your name doesnt vaguely resemble your GT name, lol.  And expect me to forget later, until I get a list of my own going as to who is who!

C ya soon!  Come to Asura, come to Bastok!  :lol:

Oh, and right now I'm a level 24 Warrior and 12 White Mage (levelled to 15 so I can carry the Warrior to 30).  I'm thinking of adding a Thief, to use when I'm out mining or farming - I added a lev 1 Thief, as a subjob even -  to my Warrior one day, and I swear I got more, and better, stuff that way.  I'm planning on about a lev 5 -6 thief to use as a sub, to test the theory.  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »

Myto, sent you a friend request.  I would appreciate being able to use your worldpass.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 08:04:14 PM »

I just wanted to add to this post that anyone from GT who would like to come to Asura - whether you want to be in a linkshell or not - can ask for a world pass from me.  Especially if you take Bastok as your base, you will run into GT members frequently, particularly at the Auction House, and you can send Tells to any of us whose name you know.  So you can play with other GT'er even if you choose not to be in a Linkshell.  

Advance notice would be best, because the pass I have now may be used up, but I could be ready at the World Pass location if I'm on at the time, which is a lot, lol.  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: