I was fighting near a BLM last night and I kept seeing combat spam showing he was getting interrupted a lot.
I'm still getting used to a menu-based UI, since I also play EQ2 and DDO, and the first thing I looked for was a hotbar.
Use the CTRL and ALT bars.... go to your main menu, second screen, and there you can program macros. You can also turn on chat filters which let you eliminate the "Others" chats. So you *WILL* see Party, self, and monsters you fight, but people beside you don't fill up your screen.
Some tips :
- www.gamefaqs.com is your friend.
- So is http://ffxi.allakazham.com .
- Alt - R replies to people who have sent tells to you (keep hitting R to cycle through recipients, IIRC the max is 10),
- ALT-P takes whatever text you've typed (and not sent yet) and sends it to the party
- ALT-L is the same for Linkshell
- ALT-T is the same for a tell (whisper)
- Click on yourself, choose chat, and then you get an option to choose your default chat mode.
- Useful macros :
/ra <t> (ranged attack, iirc)
/p Warning: Pulling <t> at <pos> /call3
/p <p0> - HP @ <hpp> (<hp>) MP @ <mpp> (<mp>) TP @ <tp>
/t <t> FYI: Turning on /follow macro.
- Set up a macro for pretty much all abilities you have, such as /ja (job abilities) /ws (weapon skills) and /ma (magic) ... you definately want to announce ahead of time what you are doing.
e.g. - Burning Blade Macro :
/p (Burning Blade) in 4 seconds!! /call02
/ws "Burning Blade" <bt>
/p Unleashing (Burning Blade)!! Follow my Skillchain / Renkei!!
Note that you can either use the (Burning Blade) translator in the WS line, or the exact name including spaces within quotations.
- /p <p0> status :: HP @ <hpp> :: TP @ <tp> :: MP @ <mpp>
/echo <p0> detail :: HP <hp> :: TP @ <tp> :: MP <mp>
so you will give the party info on your percent, and then right below it you will tell yourself the breakdown. This is most useful for wating for a skill to become available. See next one for example
- /p Provoking <t> !! /call2
/ja "Provoke" <t>
/echo Provoke avail in 30 sec.
/echo Provoke avail in 5 sec
/echo Provoke is Available! /call6
This means, as a warrior, you are notifying yourself as to when you can provoke again and get the mob to attack you. it makes you MUCH MORE effective as a tank. With 2 WARs running this script 30 sec apart, it keeps more of the hate off the non-meat-shields.
<t> is target
<bt> is battle target (mob name name in red)
<p0-5> is party members; 0 is always self
<pos> gives the co-ordinates on your current map (H-5)
/p is party chat
<hp> is hitpoints - 125/500
<hpp> is hitpoint percent - 25%
<mp> is manapoints - 200/400
<mpp> is manapoint percent - 50%
<tp> is Tech points (skillchain / Weaponskill) - 87%
All of these work from command line
There is also a comment switch, so you can have it appear as an FYI ... I think it's /echo, but it might be something else.
Also, you can make your char do things without saying anything ( /wave vs /wave motion)