http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 12:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FFXI - Impressions/General Talk  (Read 4827 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Cross-post from the other thread:

Ok I dug up this Asura worldpass that worked for my guy (Valence, 7 WHM):

No idea how many uses are left / how much time is left on the pass.

Thanks, LE! It worked and I am now on Asura.

Lvl 1 Warrior - Hetz

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2006, 04:07:54 PM »

I will try to use this tonight to get on Asura.  I will be making a black mage, probably.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2006, 04:08:23 PM »

I tried FFXI when it launched in North America on the PC, and I thought it was ok.  I never got that feeling of being sucked in like I did with daoc, WoW, and EQ2.  It was definitely not solo friendly, and the death penalty could actually cause you to level down.  The game was a little too cute for my tastes also, but I guess thatís standard fare Japanese crpg artistic style.  The Japanese players were very friendly, and grouping with them was probably the best part of the game for me.  I did like the job system, but I never stuck with it long enough to try out any of the advanced professions.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2006, 05:21:45 PM »

OK, I gave in and picked this up today.  Hope to be on by tonight.  Any suggestions on character creation?  In WoW I played almost always hunters, dwarves and trolls were my races.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
OK, I gave in and picked this up today.  Hope to be on by tonight.  Any suggestions on character creation?  In WoW I played almost always hunters, dwarves and trolls were my races.
You can't play a Hunter-like class until 30.

So, your intial character choice depends on what you want to do:

-Warrior:
The pre-30 tank.  Also does a decent amount of damage with 2-Handers.  Downside is you'll need to rest a bunch since you have no way of recovering HP naturally.

-Black Mage:
The Nuker.  Becomes hard to solo faster than almost any other class due to your fragility.  Can crank out tons of damage in groups.

-Red Mage:
The jack of all trades.  Can solo relatively well, but it requires skill and very intelligent use of abilities.  Gets access to White and Black magic, but his primary focus is Enfeeblement and Enhancement spells (Debuffs and Buffs, respectively).  Plays a support role in groups.

-White Mage:
The healer.  Decent soloer, from my experience, since you can heal yourself.  You're the healbitch in groups, but group-getting is easy.

-Monk
Melee sustained damage.  Good soloer from what I hear -- high HP and can deal impressive damage with very little equipment.  Newbie-friendly.  Downside is that the Monk class doesn't make a very good subjob for any class, so if you intend to pick an advanced job as your primary when you can, Monk might be a waste of time to level.

-Thief
The farmer.  Gets abilities which grant you more Gil and rarer items from monsters.  Also gets backstab-like abilities that do good damage.  Hard to solo (low HP, no HP recovery) and groups hate you til 15 (since you don't get your backstab-esque abilities til then).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 06:15:26 PM »

You can't play a Hunter-like class until 30.

So, your intial character choice depends on what you want to do:

-Warrior:
The pre-30 tank.  Also does a decent amount of damage with 2-Handers.  Downside is you'll need to rest a bunch since you have no way of recovering HP naturally.

-Black Mage:
The Nuker.  Becomes hard to solo faster than almost any other class due to your fragility.  Can crank out tons of damage in groups.

-Red Mage:
The jack of all trades.  Can solo relatively well, but it requires skill and very intelligent use of abilities.  Gets access to White and Black magic, but his primary focus is Enfeeblement and Enhancement spells (Debuffs and Buffs, respectively).  Plays a support role in groups.

-White Mage:
The healer.  Decent soloer, from my experience, since you can heal yourself.  You're the healbitch in groups, but group-getting is easy.

-Monk
Melee sustained damage.  Good soloer from what I hear -- high HP and can deal impressive damage with very little equipment.  Newbie-friendly.  Downside is that the Monk class doesn't make a very good subjob for any class, so if you intend to pick an advanced job as your primary when you can, Monk might be a waste of time to level.

-Thief
The farmer.  Gets abilities which grant you more Gil and rarer items from monsters.  Also gets backstab-like abilities that do good damage.  Hard to solo (low HP, no HP recovery) and groups hate you til 15 (since you don't get your backstab-esque abilities til then).

Wow, thanks for the summary, very good info.  Monk sounds decent, as does red mage.  I don't think I can ever play a pure healer again in an MMO.  I was going to get the guide for the game but my EB was out of them.  I do enjoy the buff/debuff role... one of my mains way back in EQ1 was a shaman for the buffing aspect.

What about race, does race have a very big impact?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 06:30:26 PM »

i'm slightly interested in it, but was just curious if anyone knew of any sale prices either currently or coming up?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 06:39:32 PM »

FYI: That worldpass above doesn't work anymore.

Here is a new one....don't know how long it will be up....

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2006, 07:48:41 PM »

well i finally got in...if you have a beta character that you wanna transfer...it hell trying to figure it all out

i also kept getting the POL error page...which i found out meant that the registration was overcrowded...so i just kept hitting retry...and after 4 or 5 goes it went that one step further

anyway...i am on now...and the scroll of drain that me and myto were selling in the beta for 30-60k....is now 300,000 k in the auction house

i am going to be so skint in this world if all prices for stuff is like that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2006, 08:25:46 PM »

I'm level 7 and already have over 20k in gil -- inflation works both ways, after all.

Once again, my character's name is Valence -- just send me a tell and I'll shoot you 1k to cover your newb gear/spells.  I'll post later about what items to keep, what monsters to avoid, etc.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »

Well I was looking at the manual and saw an advanced class called Dragoon, and it looks like something I would really enjoy, I assume I want to go with warrior as my base class then?
unbreakable
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2006, 10:15:39 PM »

Well I was looking at the manual and saw an advanced class called Dragoon, and it looks like something I would really enjoy, I assume I want to go with warrior as my base class then?

Many of the classes are worth leveling to some extent.  If I started playing again, however, I might avoid Monk just because it's useless as a subclass (unless you are high enough level to get Boost, but there might be better choices).

Even White Mage is good to level up, because it makes a great subclass when soloing.

Strangely, the Blue Mage class is what has me thinking of trying this game again.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2006, 11:16:45 PM »

Yeah a warrior is a good subjob for that advanced job.

Dragoon's are cool, but severally nerfed and not really desirable over, say, a Ninja, Dark Knight, or hell, even a Samurai in parties.

See, what gets me thinking about playing this game again unbreakable isn't the blue mage - it's the puppeteer!  Or even the Corsair.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2006, 12:14:10 AM »

Reportedly Dragoon/White Mages can solo to 75.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2006, 12:48:34 AM »

Ok I think I am an idiot.  3 hours in, and I am still not finished with the setup, the game is patching now.  So anyway, I install everything, which took about an hour and 10 minutes.  Then I have to do the registration, which thanks to my wireless keyboard not working, I had to do with the controller.  I finally get registered, and now I "bought" a content ID with my FFXI serial number.  I notice there are numbers for the expansions as well, do I need to purchase additional content ID's for them?  Anyway I bought the ID and am now patching for god knows how long.

Edit, Ok I think I have everything set up, and now need to create a character, but alas the worldpass doesn't work.  Guess that waits until tomorrow.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2006, 03:39:44 AM »

Ok I think I am an idiot.  3 hours in, and I am still not finished with the setup, the game is patching now.  So anyway, I install everything, which took about an hour and 10 minutes.  Then I have to do the registration, which thanks to my wireless keyboard not working, I had to do with the controller.  I finally get registered, and now I "bought" a content ID with my FFXI serial number.  I notice there are numbers for the expansions as well, do I need to purchase additional content ID's for them?  Anyway I bought the ID and am now patching for god knows how long.

Edit, Ok I think I have everything set up, and now need to create a character, but alas the worldpass doesn't work.  Guess that waits until tomorrow.

No you don't need to purchase any additional content IDs for the expansions....just enter in the serial numbers for them in the expanded content area.

As for World Passes....go here:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=12

You should be able to find one pretty quickly

unbreakable
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2006, 03:50:30 AM »

Can you move characters from one server to another?  I had a 18 monk/30 thief.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »

crud I feel my resistance fading.      Maybe I'll give this a shot for 1 month. Do we have  GT/OO Linkshell yet?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2006, 03:43:56 PM »

Maybe I'll give this a shot for 1 month.

Ha ha ha ha.... sorry, but I recall saying that back in February  at the start of the beta... good luck!

I also have a World Pass, one goes to FireFox if he hasn't gotten one yet (haven't been to that thread yet), after that there is only one slot left, I think, but I'd be glad to get another if anyone needs one.

My name on FFXI is Myto, feel free to send me a Tell and see if I'm around... I'm based in Bastok and probably will be there a lot for a day or two. And my Live name is the same as my name here.  Or email me - I can buy another world pass for anyone who cannot get one, i doubt that any posted anywhere will last very long, but what I know about World Passes is pretty minimal...  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »

Posted in the other thread, but just got home from work and trying to create my Char on Asura, I sent you a friends request.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2006, 06:59:39 PM »

Ok, I changed my mind and am now a Red Mage. I decided to ditch the warrior, cause I always play a warrior. I wanted something that could melee if needed, but also had some spells.

So, Red Mage - Hetz in Bartok.

Oh and I found out extra character ID's are free during the trail period. smile Instead of costing an extra  $1, I was able to register another character for free.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2006, 09:51:42 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Oh and I found out extra character ID's are free during the trail period. smile Instead of costing an extra  $1, I was able to register another character for free.

And then you'll be charged an extra $1 a month for each character over 1 you have. At least it worked that way for the PC way back when.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2006, 10:07:21 PM »

Don't make another character.  Just go to your Mog House and change your job.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2006, 01:13:26 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Hetz"

And then you'll be charged an extra $1 a month for each character over 1 you have. At least it worked that way for the PC way back when.

I know I will....but not during the trail period. smile It cost $0. Then they said it would be .37 for May (prorated) if I don't cancel....which I will do. I just wanted to try out something new without having to go through the whole world pass crap.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2006, 01:27:34 AM »

Don't make another character.  Just go to your Mog House and change your job.

doh! I didn't know you could do that. Thanks. I'll remember that from now on.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2006, 02:33:41 AM »

i picked up the 20 dollar pc version to see what the game was like.  figured if i liked it, i could always pick up the 360 version when it drops a bit in price.

all i gotta say is, boy am i glad i didn't pay 50 bucks for this one.   :wink:

definitely not my cup of tea.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2006, 06:43:37 AM »

Mm, I'm enjoying it so far.  It's not a handholder like WoW, that's for sure, and quite honestly, that's part of its charm for me.  Most of the mechanics, quests, and such are quite opaque -- and the manual is absolutely no help here, it's right up (down?) there with EQ in terms of least amount of actual gameplay covered.  

Quite a bit of outside reading is required to begin to 'get it,' and you'll always need to look at fansites for quest guides or walkthroughs, because there's aren't happy little !-s over quest NPCs' heads, nor are there friendly little compass markers that point you just right exactly where you need to be.

Like EQ, however, FFXI's opacity is indicative of great depth.  There are innumerable factors at work in how everything from combat to tradeskills to gardening turn out -- from your character's sheer skill in whatever is going on, to the cycle of the moon in the gameworld, the element associated with the day in the gameworld, and even which direction your character is facing, and which element that direction represents!

The game's a modern EQ for me, which is just dandy after the totally translucent, completely accessible, lowest-common-denominator-friendly WoW.  FFXI isn't going to spread its legs for you like Blizzard's hoe.  You actually have to put forth some effort.  And god bless Square-Enix for that.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2006, 12:54:42 PM »

Years ago, on the GG boards, you used a similar argument to try to convince people that Beyond Divinity was a truly good CRPG and a worthy sequel to Divine Divinity.  

It was only after people began detailing its many faults that you finally relented and admitted it was, in fact, a very bad sequel.

So you'll excuse me if i take your argument with an incredibly large grain of salt.   :wink:

but, to be fair, i did post my frustrated impression of the game immediately following a 30 minute struggle with the arcane control system and the annoying UI (although, according to LE, having to click 5 times to do what most other games do in 1 click equals depth!  biggrin ).  I'll go back and give the game some more time this weekend before i totally write it off.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »

to be fair,the game can be a pain in the ass when starting...i would say your first 10-15 levels can be difficult,especially if you are doing the missions then......it isnt until a party and maybe a linkshell comes along and you get in with people who are in the same situation as you that this game becomes a lot better....in my opinion anyway,and then you can start to help each other out,especially,with levelling up,which can be very tedious..but with a party,it can become a lot more enjoyable

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »

It's neat that gamers have gone further in directions than SQeenix was expecting... Ninja Blink tanks for instance.

They were never intended to be tanks, but with two ninja blink tanks, you don't need ANY other meat shields.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »

I'll give it another chance (in between GW: Factions marathons this weekend, though!).  I really should remember the lesson Gothic taught me.  a game i wrote off after getting completely annoyed with the control scheme alone turned out to be one of the most memorable gaming experiences ever for me.

by the way, sony stuck me on Unicorn.  i'm not adverse to creating a new character, though.  but i didn't see any way to determine the world you're on prior to finishing the whole character creation process.  am i just blind as a bat?   :oops:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2006, 03:39:02 PM »

After re-reading my post, I realized it seemed sort of hostile to you, hepcat.  That wasn't my intention, and I apologize.  Really I was just trying to give my impressions of the game after a few days of play.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2006, 03:47:06 PM »

After re-reading my post, I realized it seemed sort of hostile to you, hepcat.  That wasn't my intention, and I apologize.  Really I was just trying to give my impressions of the game after a few days of play.

no offense taken.  and as i mentioned, i am going to go back and give the game a fair chance.  so i'm taking back my desultory denouncement (hey ma, i'm alliteratin' !) of the game until i can actually back it up with more than  "good god, it just took me 20 minutes to figure out how to use the damn menu system!" complaints.   :wink:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2006, 03:53:20 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
Years ago, on the GG boards, you used a similar argument to try to convince people that Beyond Divinity was a truly good CRPG and a worthy sequel to Divine Divinity.  

It was only after people began detailing its many faults that you finally relented and admitted it was, in fact, a very bad sequel.

So you'll excuse me if i take your argument with an incredibly large grain of salt.   :wink:

It was an impressions thread and I was posting my impressions.  I still think the first chapter of Beyond Divinity, when you're escaping from that fortress thing, is quite a strong showing -- there's so much to do in the place, so many secrets, alternate routes, methods of dealing with problems, etc.  It also wasn't lock, stock and barrel generic like DivDiv was, which I for one thought boded well for the game.

Unfortuantely it fell apart by the second chapter, and I was right there saying that too.  'Relented' and 'admitted' make it sound like you drug me kicking and screaming away from the game.  When it started to suck, I started posting about its suckiness.

You might have wasted $40 on the game, but dude, so did I.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.

but, to be fair, i did post my frustrated impression of the game immediately following a 30 minute struggle with the arcane control system and the annoying UI (although, according to LE, having to click 5 times to do what most other games do in 1 click equals depth!  biggrin ).  I'll go back and give the game some more time this weekend before i totally write it off.

Oh, the UI is utter shit, believe me.  I see you mentioned the word 'click,' though, which implies you're trying to use a mouse.  Don't.  Sticking exclusively to the keyboard is a hundred times easier.

Also, be sure you've enabled the 'compact' keyboard setup in the "Config" section of the in-game main menu.  For some reason they call it 'compact' when it actually spreads the keys out across the keyboard.  Anyway, this assigns movement to the far more sane WASD, and lets the camera rotation either be the IJKL keys, or the arrow keys.  It also makes some other convienient changes, but nothing as huge as giving you WASD back.

And in case you can't figure out how to open the in-game main menu, (like I couldn't), just press the "-" (minus) key on your keypad.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2006, 04:00:23 PM »

yeah, i finally got the set up down last night after discovering that "Compact Keyboard" config actually meant "Only Useable Configuration Available"   biggrin

and getting to that main menu IS a complete freakin' pain in the a$%.  I'm going to try setting up my gamepad for use with it tonight and see what happens.  maybe i can change it a bit more for my personal tastes.

anyone playing it on PC, by the way?  i changed the default texture sizes in the registry after finding some online info on tweaking, but i was just curious if anyone else had any suggestions.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2006, 06:53:49 PM »

Quite a bit of outside reading is required to begin to 'get it,' and you'll always need to look at fansites for quest guides or walkthroughs, because there's aren't happy little !-s over quest NPCs' heads, nor are there friendly little compass markers that point you just right exactly where you need to be.

Like EQ, however, FFXI's opacity is indicative of great depth.  There are innumerable factors at work in how everything from combat to tradeskills to gardening turn out -- from your character's sheer skill in whatever is going on, to the cycle of the moon in the gameworld, the element associated with the day in the gameworld, and even which direction your character is facing, and which element that direction represents!

I played for a while on the PS2.  I was considering trying the 360 version again on my HD TV.  But that post reminded me why I hated it back then.  To some more complexity and tedium are a good thing.  I'm just not one of them.  Give me that cheap slut WoW anytime.  I realize where that attitude places me in the gamer heirarchy but I don't care.  I play games for fun, and FFXI was one of the farthest games from fun I remember playing in ages.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »

There is a "free" way to get onto Asura ...

go through the character creation process, and then you get to the last page, and cancel... it will let you save and tell you where it is created. Then if it's not the right one, go through it again (each time there is a chance)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2006, 07:42:02 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
There is a "free" way to get onto Asura ...

go through the character creation process, and then you get to the last page, and cancel... it will let you save and tell you where it is created. Then if it's not the right one, go through it again (each time there is a chance)

thanks!  do you happen to know which screen that may be?  i don't recall which one was the "last screen" during the character creation...although i suppose i can just experiment tonight.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2006, 09:34:27 PM »

Basically, you create the char and then exit. Once I can do it on the 360, I'll write up a tutorial....

the only trick is, SOME servers won't come up on rotation if they are too populated. This trick is how I got Stabbetty created on Phoenix way back when.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2006, 12:13:17 PM »

Okay, this game has me pissed.  I want to be a magic user.  I made one.  However, I die every two seconds.  Everyone says not to group until level 10, but I actually get killed by decent challenge mobs, which everyone says are the ones to fight.  I played for an hour last night and netted 100 xp.  Not sure I will be playing it much longer.  I like challenges and all, but if I am going to play an hour, I need more than 100 xp.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: