http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:05:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FFX How arcadey?  (Read 1061 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2005, 07:20:46 PM »

I watched a friend complete FFXI a couple of years ago, and while it looked fun there were a couple of action mini games (running on the bird) that seemd to be annoying and frustrating. For someone like me who likes his RPGs straight turn based, is FFXI even worth it for me?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 07:42:37 PM »

Are you sure you're talking about FFXI - the MMO?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 11:05:38 PM »

I guess I meant X, that was the last single player one right?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 11:12:34 PM »

Quote from: "Lee"
I watched a friend complete FFXI a couple of years ago, and while it looked fun there were a couple of action mini games (running on the bird) that seemd to be annoying and frustrating. For someone like me who likes his RPGs straight turn based, is FFXI even worth it for me?

Yes its worth it.  Offhand I can't think of a single required portion of the game that is anything but turn-based.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 11:18:21 PM »

It's been awhile since I played it, but I only remember one action part involving lightning, but it was easy and short.  
It's so worth it, especially at the $20 price tag.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 02:21:25 AM »

I'd say FFX is about as far from arcadey as you can get.  It's also the best RPG I've ever played, so I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 05:01:01 AM »

My favorite console RPG of all time. I cannot recommend it enough. Please try it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 01:56:53 PM »

I'll second (third, fourth...whatever) the recommendations for FFX.  It is an absolutely fantastic game that is about as far from 'arcadey' as you can get.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Afrolex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 05:57:16 PM »

I just bought a PS2 for Guitar Hero and now I've been looking at other games and this is one of them.  Does it have random encounters?  I like to have control over what I have to fight.

Last console RPG that I played you couldn't walk 5 feet without having to fight something.  I just wanted to get on with the story.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 07:05:33 PM »

Quote from: "namretaw"
I just bought a PS2 for Guitar Hero and now I've been looking at other games and this is one of them.  Does it have random encounters?  I like to have control over what I have to fight.

Last console RPG that I played you couldn't walk 5 feet without having to fight something.  I just wanted to get on with the story.

From watching a friend play it, it seemed like every 5 feet. This is starting to annoy me in DQVIII too.
Afrolex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 07:52:06 PM »

Quote from: "Lee"

From watching a friend play it, it seemed like every 5 feet. This is starting to annoy me in DQVIII too.

Thanks, looks like I'll be looking elsewhere.  I'm just finishing up Gothic 2 on the PC.  Anything like that on the PS2?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 08:40:13 PM »

Thanks, looks like I'll be looking elsewhere.  I'm just finishing up Gothic 2 on the PC.  Anything like that on the PS2?

I didn't feel like the random encounter rate in FFX was bad at all.  I guess its all relative to your experience with other console RPGs but FFX is all around friendly in most of its mechanics compared to what is out there.

Funny you should mention Gothic 2- I've been heavily reminded of it while playing DQ8 these past few days.  Yes, DQ8 has random encounters and turn based battles but it also has:

-Huge overworld to explore
-Going off of the beaten path can be quite dangerous yet quite rewarding for low level characters
-Day and night cycles with differences in what the townspeople are doing in each

All of which reminds me a lot of my experiences with the Gothic games.  In many ways I think DQ8 reminds me more of a PC RPG experience than console RPGs.  This is because the core gameplay of the DQ series is remarkably unchanged over the years and the original NES titles were quite similar to the early Ultima games (as someone in the DQ8 thread mentioned).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 08:56:12 PM »

FFX has an incredibly moderate random battle rate. There were times when I was wandering around just looking for fights and couldn't find enough. Compare this to the insanity that marks every DDS game, the nearly game-ruining encounter rate in Skies of Arcadia, or the slightly heavier but doable DQ8 spawn rate-and honestly I think FFX is almost the perfect balance. Of course, getting me to say anything negative about that game is quite a challenge to be honest smile
Afrolex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 09:17:15 PM »

Maybe I'll try it out.  Not like I haven't purchased a game and only played it for couple of hours before.  I have a cabinet full of unfinished games.

I couldn't remember the name of the RPG I played before with the insane amount of random encounters until Calvin said Skies of Arcadia.  I haven't played a console RPG since I played that on my Dreamcast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: