http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 09:14:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FFVII: Ok. When's it get good?  (Read 1415 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2006, 01:27:14 AM »

The whole world has told me to play this game.  When's it get good?

I've blown the second reactor and am firmly in the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz with this one.

It's 3 discs...does it get better? Does the story kick in soon? Right now it's so meh, I can't see what the fuss is.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 02:35:33 AM »

personally, this was my least favorite FF game, however, it gets a lot better once you get out of the city.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 03:54:22 AM »

If you get bored easily, perhaps jRPG just isn't the way to go?

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 04:51:30 AM »

It doesn't get better. That is one of the most overrated games I have played. I never did bother finishing it. Got to the 3rd disc and never went back. I should go and do it sometime but eh...

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 04:55:37 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
It doesn't get better. That is one of the most overrated games I have played. I never did bother finishing it. Got to the 3rd disc and never went back. I should go and do it sometime but eh...

Agreed. FFVIII has better cinematics but an even worse and boring story. FFIX though was wonderfully fun from what I recall. Everything you loved about the series was focused on so much so that any failings of the system fell by the wayside.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 05:08:01 AM »

I have yet to play it, but I've played 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 10-2 and 11

I enjoyed 10 the best, most people didnt like 10 at all, I liked it. I thought it had a great story and the graphics were good, I still go back and play it.

I will have to try 7 out this summer.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 05:38:06 AM »

Personally I have never been a big fan of the Final Fantasies.  Or most JRPGs for that matter.  Most are way too linear and melodramatic for my tastes.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 05:42:15 AM »

I hated 10.  While it looked fantastic, I thought it was horrible.  X-2, was bad as well.  After VII i didnt play them till 10.  And I was disappointed.

if you dont like 7, I dont think you are going to like really any of them though.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 06:22:46 AM »

7's almost impossible to go back to in this day and age.  Not only are the graphics butt-ugly by modern standards, the translation was pretty terrible too.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 06:36:23 AM »

At the time, it was way far ahead of any other RPG in terms of presentation, but that part of its appeal obviously no longer applies.  There is a major event a the end of Disc 1, but it's kind of slow going until that point.  I'd recommend playing FFX first, as it's similar (although much better in every area), but with a modern presentation.  Once you have some more RPGs under your belt, it may be easier to go back to the "oldies" and appreciate them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 06:48:59 AM »

When's it get good?

In about 1998.

Seriously it was landmark stuff back then and I played it through once and partway through two other times.  I loved fiddling with the materia system.

But it really doesn't hold up too well.  And I always did like Final Fantasy IX much better.  I'd recommend renting IX and see if you like it before purchasing it.  If it doesn't do it for you then I'd say move on to FFX which is pretty darn great.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 07:06:52 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
But it really doesn't hold up too well.  And I always did like Final Fantasy IX much better.  I'd recommend renting IX and see if you like it before purchasing it.  If it doesn't do it for you then I'd say move on to FFX which is pretty darn great.
9 is by far the worst of the series.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 07:10:41 AM »

When's it get good?

In about 1998.

Seriously it was landmark stuff back then and I played it through once and partway through two other times.  I loved fiddling with the materia system.

+1.  While it was incredible for its' time, everything about it has been done better in games since.   I still love FFVII (played through it 3 times, and am about halfway through a fourth), but most of the appeal is nostalgia, rather than how good the game actually is.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 07:14:53 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

:?

FFX-2 notwithstanding (I refuse to count it as a real FF game), I'd probably put 8 as the worst.  While I loved the graphics, charcters, & music, the Draw system was a complete mess.  Made every battle drag on twice as long as it should have, and just killed any momentum the game had.

I really enjoyed IX (Vivi is still one of my favorite FF characters), and the general consensus on it has always been very positive.  :shrug:  To each their own, I suppose.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

:?

FFX-2 notwithstanding (I refuse to count it as a real FF game), I'd probably put 8 as the worst.  While I loved the graphics, charcters, & music, the Draw system was a complete mess.  Made every battle drag on twice as long as it should have, and just killed any momentum the game had.

I really enjoyed IX (Vivi is still one of my favorite FF characters), and the general consensus on it has always been very positive.  :shrug:  To each their own, I suppose.

Yeah not understanding it either.  8 was the only FF game I never finished.  9 had much better characters than 7 or 8 and I really liked the retro feel.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 01:40:48 PM »

Well the other game I played from 1998 (MGS) still holds up amazingly well.

Since I must complete nearly every game I play (and I actually paid quite a premium for this one due to it's glowing reviews and word of mouth), I'm not giving up on this one yet.  But to be so uninterested at this early of a stage is not good.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »

One other thing to keep in mind when reading reviews/feedback for FFVII.  For many of us, FFVII was out first exposure to the Final Fantasy series.  For some of us, it was our first exposure to the entire RPG genre.  Before FFVII, I had no idea games could be more than sports or mindless shoot-em-up's.  FFVII opened my eyes to a whole new world of gaming, which has been a significant source of enjoyment ever since.   So, many of us look back on FFVII through some seriously rose-colored glasses.

FWIW, I'd agree that the game gets significantly better once you leave Midgar.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 03:02:09 PM »

i just went back to that game about 6 months ago,and finished it again(well...no,i didnt get knights of the round summon)...and even though the graphics are crap now,some of the backdrops and the story still give most of today games a run for their money...and yes it does translate badly(name one FF that doesnt)but some of it can still be pretty funny...

as for the original MGS for the ps1,i cant stand it,i have to play the remake 'the twin snakes'(which title totally gives away half the plot)for the cube...which i will be doing in between the end of FF11 beta and release

spoiler down there

has cloud had to dress up as a woman yet? :lol:

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 03:13:22 PM »

9 is by far the best of the 'next gen' series, IMHO. As stated above, 8 is utter tripe.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 03:24:30 PM »

I don't think 8 is that bad, I think that everyone had higher expectations after 7, so many folks were blown away by 7 that they weren't ready for 8, Square changed too much too fast. If 8 was released today, with today's graphics and a better translation it would get more love, as it is, it was mishandled by Square, but I feel it's a better RPG than 7, not necessarily a better game.

I mean "utter tripe" doesn't sit at 88% on game rankings.

Of course I don't want to sound like I am in love with 8 either, It's clearly one of the poorer quality FF games, but it's definately not "tripe"

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 04:07:06 PM »

Incorrect, sir! But thank you for playing. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 04:41:15 PM »

You know what, after FF7, I was a bit disappointed at 8, but a while back I went to give it another shot, and discovered that it wasn't too bad.

The drawing system sucked a big one, mainly because of my compulsive nature to get everything TO THE MAXXXX, but still... the game wasn't half bad in the end.

Neither was FF9. Or FF10.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 05:16:18 PM »

I explained my disappointment in 9 awhile back.  Basically, rehashed, boring story with extremely weak characterization.  

Kevin Grey then explained that 9 was initially designed as a "side-story" (think X-2) Final Fantasy specifically to pay homage to the series' icons.  Then for some reason they decided to make it a full-blown installment in the series.

8's a very strong game that suffered from its own creativity -- it flew in the face of the two FFs before it, which were already considered classics by the time 8's release rolled around, and ended up alienating quite a bit of its audience.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »

I too viewed 9 as a tribute to the series instead of a stand-alone installment and as such I had a blast with it. Only took me two to three weeks to burn through it all which is staggering in hindsight. I still maintain that 6 was the best of the entire saga not to mention one of my top five games ever played.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »

i thought 7,8 and 9 were great(okay 8 was the weaker)

number 10 i was dissapointed in because it was on rails,there was no sense of freedom with number 10...oh and that blitzball thing,was pants!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »

I dont know if I outgrew the FF series during the time of 8 through X-2, or maybe the series just went a direction that I didnt follow.

While my memories of the old FF games were adventure and story, and intrigue.  Once it got passed 7, it seemed to me that they theme changed.  X and X-2 in my opinion, like I said, looked nice, but seemed like they were more geared for teen boys, and or girls than anything else.

In X I loved the skill system that allowed you to move around the wheel or skills.  Sort of mkaing hybrid classes where needed.  I found X-2 to be a pretty game of dress up.  When all three of your characters are girls, and the way to get different professions is for them to put on different clothes.  Hmm, not appealing to someone, my age, I guess.  (32)

While the pervious FF games took me back to the Ultima days.  Building a good party, exploring the world, looking for items,a nd completeing the main quest line.

I progressed in X to the point where you werein the lighting area.  There was a mini bossi n the area that needed to be beat.  Some sort of lizard.  I tryed for the longest time to beat him, and he just whooped me.  I went to the store and looked in the Brady games book, and it pretty much said that I missed a side quest earlier in the game, and if I hadnt done it, it would be near impossible for me to kill this guy.  To boot.  There was no way to go back and do the side quest.  <sigh>  I took the game back.

I dont mind a little level grind in a good game.  it hink the FF series sort of pioneered it long ago in the First one.  Where after a certain level, your characters looked different.  I remember a buddy of mine fighting outside the start town, for days, just to level his characters before even starting the story.  I remember myself sitting for a few levels in some places to gain new abilities, or that new look.

Yes, games have moved on.  KOTOR.  Oblivion, MMO's.  I think essentially its all just a variant of your classic RPG.  With certain things thrown in, in a different manner to make a experience for other groups of people.  

Like I said though.  At some point around FF7, either I changed, or the direction of FF series changed.  The system in X-2.  The "dressphere".  Hmm.  Don't get me wrong, I like to see a character in some skimpy clothes sometimes.  but, I dont want to play dress up with the girls.  Playing Wow, I will try and look for a piece of armour that looks better than others, but I dont NOT buy something becuase of the way it looks.  Right now, my mage is wearing a blue and white turban with a feather in it.  It looks damn stupid.  But it was better than what I had.

The Music in 7 was great.  for its time, the graphics were great.  The GF goes back every year and plays through FFVII and I will watch.  The summons were great.  The story good.  Most of your memorable characters have come from VII.  Sephiroth, Cloud, and many of the others.

When Spirits Within came out.  Most people were disappointed.  They were looking for that thing that was the FF series.  Chocobos, materia, all that.  I think even if thet had not used main stream charcters, Cloud and his group, it would have done well.  So what do we get now.  Advent Children.  In my opinion, its what the first movie should have been.

Maybe we need two sets of FF games.  The 'shiney' ones for those kids who want to play dress up with Yuna, and the blonde chick, and the goth girl, and one for those of us who want a RPG.  Everyone wants good graphics.  Everyone wants good music.  from what I can see, and it applies to games outside of The FF Series.  Some people dont care about story.  "Oooooo, shiney".

We all know he forum affect.  We see the screenshots, and we hear the stories.  We run out, spend the money, and its not what we thought we were getting.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »

Mark, you need to play 12 when it comes out in the US, I think you'll be a lot happier...

X-2 isn't part of the main series of games and isn't indicative of where the series was headed. It was made as a fan service, and mainly a Japanese fan service at that.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 06:42:23 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
At some point around FF7, either I changed, or the direction of FF series changed.
No, not really.  The paradigm shift happened in 6, just no one believes it because 6 came at the end of the SNES lifespan, and thus seemed more 'classic' than the new-kid-on-the-Playstation-block 7.

FF1 was basically a Dragon Quest clone, and 2-5* were variations on the DQ system.  6 was the game that made the series into what we consider Final Fantasy today -- it was highly cinematic, graphically intensive, and very focused on its main characters.  7 was just 6's design perogative with 3D graphics, CGI, and CD-based storage.

*We're talking original releases here, not the re-releases.  Final Fantasy 4's original US release (as Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES) was MUCH closer to the Dragon Quest design than FF4's re-release on GBA, which has been re-translated and re-designed to be closer to a modern Final Fantasy game in the vein of FF6.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2006, 07:40:26 PM »

Generally, I've noticed that those who played the FF series before 7 tend to dislike FF 7-10 much more than those of us who were first introduced to the series at 7.  They tend to view 7 as a huge downturn for the series that it never recovered from.

I also think the reverse is true as well.  As someone who started with 7, I can't really get into the older FF games, no matter how much I try.  I've played all the ones that have been released, and been either bored or frustrated within 8-10 hours.

Not saying either opinion has more merit than the other, just an observation.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Generally, I've noticed that those who played the FF series before 7 tend to dislike FF 7-10 much more than those of us who were first introduced to the series at 7.  They tend to view 7 as a huge downturn for the series that it never recovered from.

I also think the reverse is true as well.  As someone who started with 7, I can't really get into the older FF games, no matter how much I try.  I've played all the ones that have been released, and been either bored or frustrated within 8-10 hours.

Not saying either opinion has more merit than the other, just an observation.

That's an observation I've seen and made before myself. I'm not really sure why people are like that when it comes to the Final Fantasy line, but it seems to hold true.

Me personally, I have little interest in the upcoming FFXII. Why? I just haven't truly enjoyed a Final Fantasy game (short of 9, which I loved, and 7, which was good for its time) in quite a while.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 01:15:01 AM »

my $.02:

aside from 8 (& that was solely because of the 'ability-sucking' mechanism), i've never played a final fantasy i didn't really enjoy (& that includes the early ones i didn't play at release - & x-2). give me a decent battle system, a convoluted story, some interesting characters, some amazingly good music, throw in some moogles, & i'm pretty much guaranteed happy...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 02:32:40 AM »

i must agree, I have enjoyed mostly all the games in the series.  Comparing them from one to the other I think it would be 7,9,8,10 and tactics somewhere in the middle.  I never played before 7 until they were rereleased on the ps1 (which makes me feel like I don't have a good judgment on them since they are so dated)

I honestly can't name to many rpgs that are comparable..(other than older classics)  I feel like i'm just getting so bored of the repetitive stories or I'm just getting older and wanting something more complex.

I'm sure if I went back and played them now (without playing them before) I would find them somewhat boring, but I still play them once and awhile and still enjoy them.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 02:42:48 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Me personally, I have little interest in the upcoming FFXII. Why? I just haven't truly enjoyed a Final Fantasy game (short of 9, which I loved, and 7, which was good for its time) in quite a while.

But 12 has the Vagrant Story guy doing combat!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 03:02:24 AM »

i have no problem giving 12 a try, they always are good at putting new innovative things in the titles.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: