http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 03:32:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FF Tactics Adv. OR Ogre Tactics?  (Read 1043 times)
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2004, 04:40:58 PM »

I recently got a Gameboy Player for my GC and want to play one of these "tactics" games.  Which one is better?  I've heard lots about FFTA, but not much about Ogre Tactics. How is it different? Thanks!
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:47:52 PM »

I preferred FFTA over any of the other Tactics games (Ogre, Fire Emblem, Shining Force, etc.).   It's hard to explain why, but mainly because there seemed to be much more individual character customization in FFTA than in the others.  I felt like FFTA was really built around developing each of your character's skills, whereas the other games are more about battlefield tactics.  Don't know if that makes any sense...

It's still the only GBA game I put more than a few hours into (around 85, to be exact) and is one of my all-time favorite games.  Keep in mind that the story is very "kiddie", and that's been a turn-off for some.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 05:06:32 PM »

FFTA by a country mile.  It's just... better.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
UConnBBall
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:12:16 PM »

I vote for Fire Emblem. I think the game is a great strategy game. Personally I also say that you need to add Advanced Wars to your options.

-UConn

-UConn

-----------------------------------------------
Discover the fun in life, because the rest discovers itself.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 05:26:12 PM »

I'm playing Advanced Wars 2 right now (love it) and plan on getting Fire Emblem.  Fire Emblem looks like a very different game though than FFTA. It looks more like a FF1 (for the NES) game, only the battles are one-one-one.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 05:36:20 PM »

Quote from: "Draco"
I'm playing Advanced Wars 2 right now (love it) and plan on getting Fire Emblem.  Fire Emblem looks like a very different game though than FFTA. It looks more like a FF1 (for the NES) game, only the battles are one-one-one.
Fire Emblem is basically the same as Advance Wars, except with horsies and swords.  There is no true character development beyond a hardly noticable stat/leveling system.

Frankly, FFTA and Advance Wars 2 are the two best strategy games you can get on the GBA-SP.  Fire Emblem feels like a hackneyed and shallow fan-mod quality game after playing FFTA and AW2.

And good lord don't even think about buying Fire Emblem if you're trying to decide between FFTA and Ogre Battle.  Fire Emblem is NOTHING like either of those games.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »

Quote from: "Draco"

Fire Emblem isn't anything like FF1.

I also vote for Fire Emblem over FFTA and Tactics Ogre. Battles play out very differently depending on what characters are used and changing strategies midstream has an immediate impact on the course of the battle.

FFTA and Tactics Ogre are boring and repetitive compared to Fire Emblem, IMO. What little strategy those games contain are all about character customization. Tactics in those games boil down to focusing your units on one enemy unit until its dead and then move on to the next one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: