http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FF Advent Children...  (Read 3471 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2005, 12:38:56 AM »

...comes out in 3 days over here. biggrin
It costs approximately $45 US though-a little pricey for a 100 minute movie in my opinion.  Still I might pick it up.  Does anybody know if the Japanese version has english subtitles?  Or is that asking too much?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 12:52:17 AM »

I really want to see this, but there is no way than hell I would pay that much for a DVD. Is it coming out in the US at the same time?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 01:39:37 AM »

The US version was originall supposed to be released on the same day, but it was delayed a few months.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 03:11:05 AM »

Its only being released in Japan for now?  suckie...
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 04:53:53 AM »

Yep, I hate it how after the trailer on the second-to-newest OPM it says, "September 13."  I thought I heard about a November release date for the U.S.?  Could have been December, not sure.  One or the other though.

Canuck - give some impressions (NO SPOILERS!   biggrin ) in three days' time!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 05:19:50 AM »

GameStop now lists it as end of November on UMD/PSP and early next year on DVD.  I hope they are wrong.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 05:20:17 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
The US version was originall supposed to be released on the same day, but it was delayed a few months.

MONTHS?!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 05:54:21 AM »

When they announced the delay, I believe they gave the new release as "before the holidays", but nothing more concrete.  I would guess December, especially if Kingdom Hearts 2 doesn't make a US release this year.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 06:33:11 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
GameStop now lists it as end of November on UMD/PSP and early next year on DVD.  I hope they are wrong.

you gotta be shittin me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 01:46:58 PM »

Technically (according to Square) the US release never had a release date, thus it wasn't 'delayed'.

Yeah, take it with a grain of salt. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 08:55:19 PM »

Well, that just gives time for some Japanese fansubs to get released on the net.  Thanks Square.

Tongue
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 09:06:27 PM »

They should have put this movie in the theatres.

But I guess instead of paying 13 bucks for a movie ticket your paying 45 for the movie.  frown

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 02:34:36 AM »

DUN ..Dun ...dun! I had to look for the release of this tonight at work and now the Gamestop date looks like 01/02/06...

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 02:51:40 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
DUN ..Dun ...dun! I had to look for the release of this tonight at work and now the Gamestop date looks like 01/02/06...

:shock:

Long ass wait.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 06:20:04 AM »

I can't see SquareEnix letting this miss the holiday season, especially since all they have to do is translate it and record the voice acting for the US version.  I'm really hoping they put some effort into the translation.  Their recent games have been well-done, but the FF movie translation was not good, with lots of awkward non-English sounding dialogue.

"But I guess instead of paying 13 bucks for a movie ticket your paying 45 for the movie."
SquareEnix hasn't announced US pricing yet, but Gamestop and EB have $30 for the DVD, which isn't too bad.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 06:43:23 AM »

I can't see SquareEnix letting this miss the holiday season, especially since all they have to do is translate it and record the voice acting for the US version.  I'm really hoping they put some effort into the translation.  Their recent games have been well-done, but the FF movie translation was not good, with lots of awkward non-English sounding dialogue.

"But I guess instead of paying 13 bucks for a movie ticket your paying 45 for the movie."
SquareEnix hasn't announced US pricing yet, but Gamestop and EB have $30 for the DVD, which isn't too bad.

No, it really is. 30 dollars for 2 hours of entertainment is pretty absurd Eddie.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 07:22:04 AM »

Given that most new movies come out on DVD at around $20, I don't think $30 is outrageous.  $20 would be better, of course, but I imagine first week sales will bring it down to $25.  These are just guesses anyway, until SquareEnix releases a definite price.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 07:30:22 AM »

At $30 I suppose they are still trying to make up some of the Spirits Within losses...

Is the movie reportedly even any good?  Does it even matter?  Why not charge $50 because we know people will still buy it.  I don't know why I'm suddenly filled with the Final Fantasy hate, but I suddenly know how the non-fans felt about all the crazy Star Wars prequel hype.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 07:52:37 AM »

Call me retarded but I might pay $50 for Advent Children   :?

Well, $50 would be the TOPS.  But I would definately pay $30 if it's around that price-tag.  I mean hey - they put a BOATLOAD of time into making it.

unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 07:59:14 AM »

Time isnt exactly justification for spending money.  They spend an assload of time on Daikatana.

If we use that meter, DNF is going to cost $100.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 08:04:31 AM »

But it usually applies to Square (and yeah, I guess you could also include Square-enix) products.  When they spend a large amount of time on a product or project or whatnot, they're pretty much guaranteed to be of up-most quality.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 08:12:02 AM »

Well, I guess I'm just pretty much saying that, personally, I'll happily shell out a good deal of money for a product I'm really looking forward to and knowing that I'll enjoy watching it   biggrin

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 10:56:36 AM »

i am considering even shelling out the possible 200 for the special release version.  50$ for a single movie with nothing extra...Hmmm, i dont know.  

Which, now that I think about it is odd.  I pay 50 bux for video games...Oh well.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 04:10:16 PM »

Yeah, I'll pay $30 for the movie (and light extras). $50? No. For that, I'd expect some heavy duty bonuses that'll make it worth my while.

All that said, I'm still peeved they pushed this back. Very, very peeved.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 05:52:23 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Call me retarded but I might pay $50 for Advent Children   :?

Believe me, I was definately thinking of YOU when I wrote that. :lol:

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 06:32:25 PM »

Well, I guess I'm just pretty much saying that, personally, I'll happily shell out a good deal of money for a product I'm really looking forward to and knowing that I'll enjoy watching it   biggrin

it would be cheaper for me to come visit you and watch the damn thing than to get it for myself!!  Cool
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 11:21:26 PM »

Anyways! Back to my original question.  Has anyone here ever imported Japanese movies?  Do they ever have english subtitles?  I've looked on the back but I can't see (or understand) anything that looks remotely like english.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 02:25:57 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
No, it really is. 30 dollars for 2 hours of entertainment is pretty absurd Eddie.

I take it you've never bought anime in your life.  When it first came out (and I still think today, but I don't collect anymore) you were paying $30 for each disc.  Most would have 4 episodes on it, some 3.  Roughly 22 minutes for each episode and you're really getting less out of those than you will out of Advent Children.  This should be a surprise to no anime collector on the given price.

Forgot to say most anime movies used to be $30 as well, but major companies have picked up some and brought them out for the usual price point for major DVDs.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 02:28:59 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "Rage"

I take it you've never bought anime in your life.  When it first came out (and I still think today, but I don't collect anymore) you were paying $30 for each disc.  Most would have 4 episodes on it, some 3.  Roughly 22 minutes for each episode and you're really getting less out of those than you will out of Advent Children.  This should be a surprise to no anime collector on the given price.

Forgot to say most anime movies used to be $30 as well, but major companies have picked up some and brought them out for the usual price point for major DVDs.

I own some anime discs and still have to agree with Rage.  It's pretty absurd.  That's why I wait for the inevitable boxed set and try to find a good price or just don't bother anymore. Cool

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 02:39:38 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Anyways! Back to my original question.  Has anyone here ever imported Japanese movies?  Do they ever have english subtitles?  I've looked on the back but I can't see (or understand) anything that looks remotely like english.

Most UMD movies are region coded. If Advent Children is region coded, you need Japan version of PSP to play it.

Most Japanese movies released in Japan don't have english subtitles.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2005, 02:51:00 AM »

I don't disagree that it is absurd (I did it for a long time before box sets were even a thought in the anime distributor's eyes...except for special stuff where there were no single releases and just the box set), but you have to look at Advent Children as an anime release in this case and thereby the $30 shouldn't make someone look twice.

Now, Sony has released some anime before for cheap (Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Metropolis, Steamboy, Astro Boy).  I am going to guess the MSRP may drop on this one to a more mainstream DVD-like price by the time it releases; however they may also look toward gamers wanting this and keep it at the high price since we already pay $50 for a game.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2005, 05:47:18 PM »

I'll leave this as vague as possible . . .

You can "preview" the movie by a Comet that's surrounded by little Bits.

There's already a translation out.

The movie is spectacular.  Can't wait til it's released in the U.S.!

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 06:59:40 PM »

Yeah, didn't take long, did it? Even with the english subs.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2005, 07:01:35 PM »

I'll leave this as vague as possible . . .

You can "preview" the movie by a Comet that's surrounded by little Bits.

There's already a translation out.

The movie is spectacular.  Can't wait til it's released in the U.S.!

Damn you Deppy, DAMN YOU!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2005, 12:21:33 AM »

Ok, this might be the understatement of the year:

Final Fantasy - Advent Children is, undoubtedly, the best movie I've ever seen.

TOTALLY awesome.  When my brother asked me how it was, I couldn't stop smiling when I told him it was AWESOME!  Final Fantasy VII isn't my favorite out of the FF series, but wow.  This movie is incredible.  Even if you don't LIKE RPGs OR Final Fantasy VII, you must watch this movie.

If you have played FFVII, you'll see appearances by just about everyone imaginable.  The music is phenomenal.  It recycles old themes and makes them ALL exciting and memorable.

I love this movie just about as much as I love my Mom and Dad.

. . . ok maybe that was wrong of me to say . . .

But it's awesome.  I would now DEFINATELY pay large amounts of money for a sort of "Special Edition" DVD.

Utterly fantastic.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2005, 12:28:34 AM »

This movie is incredible.  Even if you don't LIKE RPGs OR Final Fantasy VII, you must watch this movie.

That's good to know since I thought FF VII was inane.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2005, 01:15:04 AM »

Yeah, it's worth buying, if to just see an amazing looking technology demo. The story's a bit on the thin side, and somewhat silly, but some of the musical pieces are downright beautiful, and the visuals are top notch. Voice acting's great too.

Strangely enough (and this might just be me), I thought the cutscenes in FF8, FF9, and FF10 were more impressive. I'm still trying to figure out why I came to that conclusion. May be the relative drab colors of the movie, or something.

That said, the FF7 fanboy in me cried from joy throughout the entire movie. So, despite the shortcomings that I feel quite a few people will be irked by, I personally enjoyed it immensely, and will be buying the DVD first day - no questions asked.

...unless it's like $100.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2005, 01:54:15 AM »

I was very impressed with it as well. It was so god damn good. I mean the fight scenes were just jaw dropping and intense. Cant wait for the dvd for sure.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2005, 02:33:04 AM »

Cool! Awesome to hear Deppy, I can't wait to watch it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2005, 04:06:34 AM »

I just finished watching FFVII:  Advent Children, and I will say that this is nothing short of an wonderful, incredible, simply amazing movie.  I have never, and I honestly mean never, seen such a visually stunning piece of work.  Square has perfected every single detail of this film, while preserving the spirit and feel of the game.  The detail packed into every single shot completely astounded me.  If you can let yourself suspend disbelief for a couple hours, you will be witness to some of the most incredible fight and chase scenes ever to be put to any medium.  Game, film, TV...I have never seen anything like this.

Much like the game, the story is completely batshit insane.  But somehow it all just...works.  I will say that if you haven't played the game all the way through, it will make even less sense.  If I can pick a very small nit, some of the characters did seem a bit tacked on.  They all came together for a mind-boggling battle, but it did seem a bit like Square decided, "Well, we need to be sure and show Yuffie, Cid, Red XIII, et al, so let's throw them in here."  That being said, seeing the gang all together in a massive throw down brought a huge smile to my face.  When it all comes together at the end, it is a heart-wrenching moment that honestly almost brought a tear to my eye.

The music is fantastic, although most of it has been released before, either on the FFVII Piano CD, The Black Mages, or the FFVII Reunion Tracks CD.  That's nothing against it, and those who have never heard those CD's will be absolutely thrilled by it.  I absolutely love hearing 'One Winged Angel' with screaming guitars and a full orchestra, and the piano arrangements during the few quiet moments fit perfectly.

OK, enought with what probably sounds like fanboy babble.  I'll simply say this.  Square absolutely, completely, 100%, and in all other ways nailed it with FFVII:  Advent Children.  It is an absolute must see for fans of the game, and for anyone who simply wants to sit back and be amazed for a couple hours.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: