http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 02:30:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FF Advent Children...  (Read 3488 times)
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2005, 05:04:57 AM »

Playing a piano rendition of the FF battle theme turned an otherwise great fight scene into a kitchy mess for me. Although it did get a chuckle out of me when they played the fanfare at the end.
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 03:58:42 AM »

More thoughts:

I just watched it again and I must admit that it is even better the second time through. Parts of it still make absolutely no sense, but knowing the overarching story definately helped a few things fall into place.

With this movie, Square has set an entirely new standard in computer animation. Think of the absolute best CGI you have ever seen, then realize that it pales in comparison to the detail, realism, and beauty found in this film. In some ways it's a shame that FFVII: AC isn't more accessable to the masses, because I really think people would start looking at CGI in a whole new light. It's really going to be hard to watching other animated films after seeing what Square has done here. I picked up so many details this time through that I missed the first time. The fluidity and realism of the character movements. The perfection of light, shadow, and reflection. The way characters images are skewed when seen through a certain perspective. It is simply flawless, and the artists are to be truly applauded.

Unfortunately, that if you don't have a basic knowledge of the characters, you will be completely and utterly lost. For example, Aeris is never explained, and if you don't know her significance, all of the emotional punch will be lost. Square makes the assumption that the people that will watch this will be very familiar with who the characters are and their relationships with each other, and offers very little in the way of backstory. While this will probably hurt the overall success of the film, you have to give them props for knowing their audience. Don't let it stop you from seeing it, if for no reason than for the visual spectacle of the thing. You won't regret it. smile

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2005, 06:09:56 AM »

Um... Minor Spoilers, I suppose?
I just want to come out clean about something. Every time Aeris popped up, along with her theme song, I got a bit emotional. Now, it's not really because the scenes themselves are that powerful - rather, it's because somewhere in my head, all of a sudden I remembered how I felt back when you-know-what happened in FF7, and those feelings from such a long time ago now resurfaced again. It caught me by surprise.

Though, considering Final Fantasy 7 was the first console RPG that I experienced (I played the game nonstop for a week, straight), its emotional impact was huge to my young self. So maybe it shouldn't be that surprising.

Anyways, as a result, every friggin' time she popped up (don't get me started on the final lift for Bahamut, or the last smiling goodbye), my damn eyes got a bit misty. JUST A BIT, THOUGH! Damn it... Now I gotta go chop some wood, and drink beer'n sh*t like that.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
depward

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2005, 06:23:21 AM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Um... Minor Spoilers, I suppose?
I just want to come out clean about something. Every time Aeris popped up, along with her theme song, I got a bit emotional. Now, it's not really because the scenes themselves are that powerful - rather, it's because somewhere in my head, all of a sudden I remembered how I felt back when you-know-what happened in FF7, and those feelings from such a long time ago now resurfaced again. It caught me by surprise.

Though, considering Final Fantasy 7 was the first console RPG that I experienced (I played the game nonstop for a week, straight), its emotional impact was huge to my young self. So maybe it shouldn't be that surprising.

Anyways, as a result, every friggin' time she popped up (don't get me started on the final lift for Bahamut, or the last smiling goodbye), my damn eyes got a bit misty. JUST A BIT, THOUGH! Damn it... Now I gotta go chop some wood, and drink beer'n sh*t like that.

Same here man, same here.  I got a bit misty eyed whenever "she" popped up as well.  I've read that people thought that thing about when

SPOILERS!!!

Everyone helped Cloud up into the sky and how she was the last one who helped him up was dumb.  And stupid.  But it got me misty eyed!  And I loved it!

END SPOILERS!!!

But hey, that's why I liked Advent Children so much.  It's like a, I guess, "love doesn't die" sort of concept.  And I'm always a sucker for that sort of thing.

I just really love the movie.  It's so incredibly well-done.  Sure, some of the story makes me go, "Eeeee?"  But the animation, the action, everything is just so wonderfully done.  Fantastic.  And I still say it's my favorite movie of all time.  It's that dang good in my eyes.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »

I just finished.  AWESOME!  By far one of the best movies I have ever seen.  The attention to detail was great.  I love the large fight scene.  I got the impression that it was really a game fight where one person does thier thing, then another person gets to do thier thing.

John Williams has always been what I have considered probabaly the best composer of the 20th century, but I think he might be pushed out by the guys whos done the music for FF.  His name escapes me.  I always enjoyed the music from VII, I think I enjoy it even more now.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2005, 05:40:59 PM »

The internet truly is a wild and wonderful place.

I'll be watching it tonight.   Cool
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2005, 06:11:59 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
I just finished.  AWESOME!  By far one of the best movies I have ever seen.  The attention to detail was great.  I love the large fight scene.  I got the impression that it was really a game fight where one person does thier thing, then another person gets to do thier thing.

John Williams has always been what I have considered probabaly the best composer of the 20th century, but I think he might be pushed out by the guys whos done the music for FF.  His name escapes me.  I always enjoyed the music from VII, I think I enjoy it even more now.

Nobuo Uematsu

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »

Not having played FF7 or even knowing the story, I felt disconnected and can give it a 6/10 from just sheer beautiful visuals alone.

Although, it has been wanting to fire up FF7 to play it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2005, 08:07:16 PM »

Yeah, Im not sure if I should watch it o rnot, since I never did finish FF7-maybe this will make me go back and finally play it?
unbreakable
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2005, 08:44:16 PM »

Definitely worth it.  FF7 also features a great ending, so you arent left thinking 'WTF? Thats it?"
depward

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Quote from: "GGMark"

Nobuo Uematsu

I am wholly convinced that Nobuo Uematsu is one of the most brilliant music composers ever.

He just gets shunned because he works almost exclusively with video game musical scores.  But some of his pieces (well, a GREAT majority really   biggrin ) are some of the most beautiful orchestral music pieces I've ever heard.

Someday when I get married, I want to exclusively have only music by Nobuo Uematsu played.

Terra's Theme from FFVI stands out as my favorite piece of music of all-time from any sort of musical genre.  It's faily simplistic, and quite subdue, but the rhythm and the main melody are absolutely gorgeous.  It's a perfect piece of music.

I would recommend the album "Pray" done by Uematsu to everyone who likes Final Fantasy music.  It's basically vocal versions of songs from FF1-FF6 with orchestral backgrounds.  It's oustanding.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2005, 10:07:24 PM »

Uematsu isn't bad, but Yasounori Mitsuda is a far better composer (especially when it comes to game music).  Chrono Trigger & Cross, Xenogears & Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Tsunugai, etc.  Some of the most beautiful music (I'm talking all music, not just game soundtracks) I've ever heard.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Uematsu isn't bad, but Yasounori Mitsuda is a far better composer (especially when it comes to game music).  Chrono Trigger & Cross, Xenogears & Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Tsunugai, etc.  Some of the most beautiful music (I'm talking all music, not just game soundtracks) I've ever heard.

AH Agreed   biggrin   I had to purchase the Shadow Hearts Covenant soundtrack because the music was so DANG GOOD!  Xenosaga also has some nice music as well!

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2005, 12:15:01 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

I'm personally on a Yuki Kaijura kick right now, and it is really cool.  But Yoko Kanno still rocks the most IMHO.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: