http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 01:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fellow Homeworld fans...  (Read 1206 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2007, 11:03:13 AM »

Relic may have finally gotten the trademark rights back thanks to THQ stepping up.

OK.  This isn't much, but it is certainly a step in the right direction:

Link to Shacknews Article

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »

wow, this series was one I alway meant to try but never could run on my PC at the time.  Thanks for reminding me to check it out!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »

Here's to hoping they make some combination over-strategy with tactical battles game set in the homeworld universe.  I think the worst part of Homeworld was the building and resources in the middle of battles.

Heck, just take the Company of Heroes engine, and make an infantry combat game set in the Homeworld universe.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »

I tried both Homeworlds repeatedly and never could get into them.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:18:13 PM »

That is some of the best news I have heard in a very long, long time. Homeworld is one of the great RTS series of all times, and I replay both games every year or so (started my Homeworld replay and got distracted by the September games). A new Homeworld with all Relic has done and learned in the past several years could just be phenomenal.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:39:45 PM »

Homeworld Rocked, Homeworld: Cataclysm was good, Homeworld 2 was good too. IMO however, take Homeworld 2's graphics engine and pair it up with Homeworld's gameplay and you'd have a winner

Also, I think Homeworld really had the most epic story of the 3.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 07:06:52 PM »

Sounds promising. This gives me hope that maybe some day properties like X-COM and Jagged Alliance will get into the hands of, well, if not the original developer, maybe a company that has some of the original devs and wants to do something proper with the game today rather than some Mr. Scrooge publisher letting a good gaming Intellectual Property rot from neglect.

Even Lord British took a break from his Tabula Rasa hawking in a recent interview to say he would gladly work on a new Ultima if he could ever get the property back from EA (not too likely).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 09:08:21 PM »

I liked Homeworld, but the interface really killed the game for me.

Between the really goofy and non-functional controls to the fact that nothing would fly in formation (why do they ALWAYS have to go at top speed?), I just got fed up.

Dunno if they fixed that in later versions of the game, I never stuck with it.  I would really like to see more strategy games using real-3d space, it was a really nice change of pace in that respect.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:30:45 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 07, 2007, 09:08:21 PM

Between the really goofy and non-functional controls to the fact that nothing would fly in formation (why do they ALWAYS have to go at top speed?), I just got fed up.

Dunno if they fixed that in later versions of the game, I never stuck with it.  I would really like to see more strategy games using real-3d space, it was a really nice change of pace in that respect.

I experienced none of the issues you describe playing any of the Homeworld games.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 11:46:54 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 07, 2007, 10:30:45 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on November 07, 2007, 09:08:21 PM

I experienced none of the issues you describe playing any of the Homeworld games.

You never had trouble getting stuff to fly in formation?  It would always start in the formation you set, then drift out of it as they travelled... all at top speed (whatever that was for each vessel).

I have no idea if there was some special "stay in formation command", I simply told them to go where they were supposed to go.

As for the controls, maybe I just personally hated how it worked.  It seemed like I spent a huge amount of time fighting with the control scheme.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 01:19:18 AM »

Wow.  No wonder you didn't like it that much. 

The formations and ability to control how your group/squads would engage or defend enemies was one of the best parts of the game for me.  I'm going to guess you never took advantage of the formations and rules of engagement features the game had.

As far as the interface goes, with the possible exception of Homeworld 2, I'm not sure you could do a true 3D rts much better.

Once you learned it, it was just flat awesome.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 04:03:49 PM »

Well I used formations, it's just nobody stayed in formation.  So I would generally have to tell them to meet at one point, then wait for everyone to get there, then continue on.  It was a royal pain in the caboose.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 08:50:31 PM »

My last homeworld replay (a couple months ago) stopped after 3-4 missions. Is it going to start again? Why yes, thanks to you guys I put it on the list smile
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 08, 2007, 08:50:31 PM

My last homeworld replay (a couple months ago) stopped after 3-4 missions. Is it going to start again? Why yes, thanks to you guys I put it on the list smile

Post about it when you restart.  I'm kind of curious if I just was using the controls "wrong".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: