http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 07:38:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feel like every other EQ2 joe schmo??? Listen to Moorgard..  (Read 3400 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 03:13:39 AM »

Since character individualization in EverQuest II has been a hot topic following the lifting of the NDA, we thought it would be a good idea to share our plan for the all-new features that are going live in the next few weeks to give a greater sense of uniqueness to players. We’ll be releasing more details each day, beginning with the character traits list tomorrow afternoon.

First, let’s talk about what’s changing from its current state.

We’re releasing the final class spells and arts lists. These move away from the standard archetype spells and arts we’ve been using for balance testing and give players access to their class-specific spell selections. The spells and arts you’ll see in the next few updates include new effects, class-specific strengths and flavor, and final names.

These spell changes are taking place across the board and will greatly refine class differences from what they are today. We’ve completed the balancing necessary to give a solid role to each class and now we’re excited to release the new spell and art lists.

To illustrate how these changes work, we'll use the Mage -> Sorcerer -> Wizard progression as an example.

Unlike how it was in the previous spell lists, once you turn level 10 you stop being just a mage. As you choose your path and complete your quest, from that point forward you are a sorcerer. There are no new mage spells after level 10. Each class will be branch off into entirely class-specific spells.

Once you turn level 20 and choose the path of a wizard, you are no longer a sorcerer. As before, there are no new sorcerer spells after level 20. You will be gaining wizard subclass spells from there forward.

In other words, there is no longer any such thing as a "level 44 mage spell," because a high-level wizard should never think of himself or herself as a level 44 mage in EverQuest II.

You will still be able to do a number of the same things to keep being useful in your key roles, but with unique and interesting differences that are suitable to each of the classes and subclasses that branch out from the common base.

For example, all priests will continue to receive instant heals, but other heal types will be restricted based on class. Only shamans will get wards, only druids will get regens, and only clerics will get reactive heals.

Classes will also receive a greater assortment of unique spells and arts. These are additional abilities that will likely be purchased off vendors. For example, illusionists will be able to cast racial illusions.

Full spell and art lists for each class will be released in the next few days.

Next, we’d like to outline some brand new features going live in the coming days and weeks. These systems add a tremendous amount of customization to each character and should help you create the unique persona you'll want to play in EverQuest II.

New Feature - Training Specialized Abilities

As you develop your character, you’ll be able to specialize in major aspects of your profession. About every ten levels, you can choose to focus on one of your core abilities and receive advanced training to improve it.
For example, a priest could train and receive either a stronger heal, a more potent buff, or a higher-damage nuke. This ability would be of much greater potency than the typical granted spell and may be upgraded even more through adventuring.
Each profession gets similar choices that play to their strengths – fighters may choose between offensive and defensive enhancements, or mages may focus on improving a damage spell, a pet, or a stun spell as appropriate to their profession.
New Feature - Character Traits

Character traits allow you to choose an aspect of your character and improve upon it. Traits are independent of your character’s race or profession, and all characters have access to the full list.
By the time they’ve reached level 50, every character will gain access to seven traits that help tailor their character to their preferred play style.
For example, a given character might choose to become Clever, thereby increasing their intelligence. Another character might choose to become Nimble, thereby increasing their base agility.
Traits can improve your character in a variety of areas, such as increasing your statistics, giving more health or power, improving your health or power regeneration speed, and making your more resistant to magic, disease, or different types of melee damage.
Traits are generally permanent effects that continuously improve your character during play. Once you’ve selected a trait, you’ll enjoy its benefits permanently.
New Feature - Racial Traditions

As players learn the background and lore of their chosen race, they begin to unlock certain bonuses. This starts with race-specific titles and leads to a choice of racial abilities.
By the time they’ve reached level 50, every character will gain access to four racial traditions to help tailor their character to their preferred play style and distinguish themselves from other members of their race.
For instance, an iksar could choose from enhanced health regeneration, increased power regeneration, or increased armor class. A ratonga may learn to forage for food or improve his ability to dodge blows. Erudites may learn to summon a magical wisp, guard themselves with a magic-resistant shield, or improve their alchemist crafting abilities.
Racial traditions take many forms, but are generally activated abilities that can be used on demand to greatly improve your character for a short period of time.
Some traditions give bonuses similar to traits, but with much more powerful effects.
Full racial tradition lists will be released for every race in the next few days.
New Feature - Enemy Mastery

During your adventuring career, you’ll be able to learn about the creatures and monsters you’re fighting and use that knowledge to your advantage.
Every few levels, players may choose from a selection of enemies and undertake a quest to learn how to exploit their weaknesses. The successful completion of this quest results in an enhanced attack against that type of enemy.
By the time they’ve reached level 50, every character will gain access to six enemy masteries to help tailor their character to their preferred play style.
Summary

These new kinds of choices allow for greater individualization without creating major imbalances between subclasses. One dwarf templar can have different stats and abilities than another dwarf templar while retaining the core abilities that they need to be successful in their key roles. Approximately every two levels players will receive an additional choice that allows another degree of individualization.

We plan to have the first round of these features showing up in next week's scheduled update (week of 10/25/04) with additional features arriving the week after. We look forward to hearing what you think of these upcoming changes.

Message Edited by Moorgard on 10-19-2004 07:50 PM

This is a huge change that shuold really help characters feel unique.  This has been my biggest gripe so far and it is getting addressed.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 03:30:11 AM »

Just when I thought my opinion of EQ2 couldn't go any lower, they go and do this.

And totally redeem themselves! smile

Seriously though. That sounds pretty neat. I hope that the folks that are in the beta or follow it close enough will post some of those traits lists.

-Cota
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 03:33:31 AM »

and people were bitching about WoW still getting content additions and changes.

Although those do sound like some good ideas in theory.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 03:53:14 AM »

I will try to make sure and post any info about this as it becomes available.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 04:39:28 AM »

The first thing I think of when i see anything about EQ2 is group exp debt penalty. To me if Im in a group and see someone is going to die Id instantly leave the group. i see others doing this all the time too so that one thing I dislike right there.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 05:49:35 AM »

As I understand it, you can't leave in the middle of a fight. smile  I think it makes rep as important as it was in the early days. Sweet!

These changes catapult EQ2 into by far and away my most anticpated game ever.  EVAR. biggrin

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 06:47:17 AM »

sweet. i can't wait.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 11:04:09 AM »

I must admit this sounds really good - implementation is the key, of course.

Given how the development pendulum swings in MMORPGS, I look for them to implement and have these new features bug-free by the end of 2005!  biggrin

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 12:24:10 PM »

From my understanding, this isn't something new... it is something they have been working on and testing internally for a while, kind of like WoW is doing with some features.  I am very happy to see them, but am sure they will be buggy if we don't get to test them enough before release.  And yes char it will take a while to balance them all I am sure.

My experience so far with the shared exp debt has been positive.  Even in a total wipeout the debt doesn't take long to work off.  If it is late and you wipe out and log back in a good bit of your debt is gone, it decays while logged off.  I have only encountered one person who was a moron and it was obvious from the time we invited him to the group.  He died once while on the way to the group....The one change I would like to see made, where this has been an issue for many is inviting someone from across the zone, they die on the way to the group, group gets debt.  In my opinion if the person is far enough away to not sure in xp gain from a kill then we are not close enough to share in thier debt as we had no way of helping them...the problem I see with this solution is that when things go bad then one person would train the mobs out of range of the group.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 12:34:16 PM »

I agree Arkon, the group death penalty just hasn't been an issue for me either, even in pick-up groups.

It just boggles my mind that people would rather take the full brunt of XP debt (100%) when they die, rather than take the occasional minor hit when someone else dies. Your fellow group member is going to have to die several times in order for you to accumulate the same XP debt you would have had you been killed solo.

People who would leave a group because someone is going to die are not team players and are not the kind of people I would want in a group anyway. The game is trying to promote teamwork and GOOD groups. The group xp debt serves to weed out the team players from the idiots. I think that's ultimately a good thing, and it's going to force people to change the old style of playing and work together.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 12:58:15 PM »

The other thing that has happened, is that as I come across good players, we end up putting each other on friends list, so I now have about 20 people on my list and quite often can start groups with 2 or 3 people I know are good, then we bring in some new people.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 03:54:45 PM »

I really was happy to read all of these character customizations.  I hate feeling like I'm the same as the next guy; now, no longer.

Really neat.  Though with such a substantial addition, and new additions coming all the time, will the game really be ready for that proposed Nov 15th release?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 04:17:18 PM »

Personally... I don't think it will be ready.  The latest patch has caused a lot of server instability it would seem.  Now from a few people I know I have been told that these char customizations have been in the works for a while, but they were waiting to release them.  I would guess it is a PR move right now due to the negativity about being cookie cutter.. but it isn't something they just decided to start working on.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I will try to make sure and post any info about this as it becomes available.

Groovy, thanks. I salute you!

-Cota
DireAussie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 04:01:30 AM »

>This is a huge change that shuold really help characters feel unique.
>This has been my biggest gripe so far and it is getting addressed.

It is good news.  However it still doesnt change the fact that all the spells are too generic and bloody boring.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 10:53:57 AM »

New Update...

Yesterday we revealed some exciting features coming soon to beta designed to help you individualize your EverQuest II character. These advancement paths include: character traits, enemy tactics, racial traditions, specialized training, and all-new spells and arts unique to each class. Together, these options will help you to make your character unique as you travel through the world of Norrath.

Today we'll provide more detail on traits and explain how they help you individualize your character.

Traits
Traits are one of the advancement paths that help you to build a unique identity in EverQuest II. Every few levels you get to choose a new trait that improves an important aspect of your character. Any character can choose any trait, regardless of their race or class.

When it's time to choose a new trait, you will be presented with a list of four or five options with detailed explanations of how each choice would affect your character. You can pick any one trait from the list and enjoy its benefits immediately. The effect of each trait is permanent and does not need to be activated.

By level 50, every character will have chosen eight traits that help tailor their character to their preferred style of play. Below we list the first three trait choices and show at what level you receive them:

Level 8

Brawny - Strike down your enemies in battle! This trait makes you more physically imposing by bestowing enhanced strength.
Nimble - An orc can't hurt you if it can't hit you! This trait heightens your reflexes by making you more agile.
Durable - Your toughness is apparent to everyone. This trait improves your fortitude by granting increased stamina.
Insightful - You have traveled far and wide. This trait aids your journey to enlightenment by making you wiser.
Clever - Years of study have honed your mind. This trait enhances your knowledge by making you more intelligent.
Level 14

Hardy - Learn to avoid the scorpion's sting and the assassin's blade. This trait improves your longevity by making you more resistant to all types of poisons.
Cold Blooded - Fire and lava are nothing to fear! This trait allows you to better control your body temperature by increasing your resistance to heat.
Warm Blooded - Withstand even the harshest winter. This trait increases your inner fire and allows you to better avoid the effects of intense cold.
Hygienic - Plague and illness are for the weak. This trait enhances your vigor by allowing you to avoid the effects of disease.
Intent - Your mind is an impenetrable fortress! This trait focuses your will, thereby allowing you to better resist mental attacks.
Level 22

Sturdy - Your durability is the stuff of legend. This trait makes you more robust by increasing your total health.
Focused - Your foes tremble at your considerable might! This trait expands your available energy by increasing your total power.
Healthy - Others marvel at your recuperative ability. You improve the rate at which your health recovers.
Calm - You possess the discipline of a master. This trait focuses your mind and allows you to recover power more quickly.
Higher-level trait choices offer additional opportunities to personalize your character. Traits focus on enhancing your options at the character level, while other advancement paths will allow you to personalize your race and class.

Tomorrow we will detail our Tactics system, which allows you to unlock the secrets of your opponents and use that knowledge against them!

============================
Moorgard
EQII Community Guy

DireAussie did you miss the part about....

First, let’s talk about what’s changing from its current state.

We’re releasing the final class spells and arts lists. These move away from the standard archetype spells and arts we’ve been using for balance testing and give players access to their class-specific spell selections. The spells and arts you’ll see in the next few updates include new effects, class-specific strengths and flavor, and final names.

These spell changes are taking place across the board and will greatly refine class differences from what they are today. We’ve completed the balancing necessary to give a solid role to each class and now we’re excited to release the new spell and art lists.

To illustrate how these changes work, we'll use the Mage -> Sorcerer -> Wizard progression as an example.

Unlike how it was in the previous spell lists, once you turn level 10 you stop being just a mage. As you choose your path and complete your quest, from that point forward you are a sorcerer. There are no new mage spells after level 10. Each class will be branch off into entirely class-specific spells.

Once you turn level 20 and choose the path of a wizard, you are no longer a sorcerer. As before, there are no new sorcerer spells after level 20. You will be gaining wizard subclass spells from there forward.

In other words, there is no longer any such thing as a "level 44 mage spell," because a high-level wizard should never think of himself or herself as a level 44 mage in EverQuest II.

You will still be able to do a number of the same things to keep being useful in your key roles, but with unique and interesting differences that are suitable to each of the classes and subclasses that branch out from the common base.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 11:57:14 AM »

Yesterday we revealed some exciting features coming soon to beta designed to help you individualize your EverQuest II character. These advancement paths include: character traits, enemy tactics, racial traditions, specialized training, and all-new spells and arts unique to each class. Together, these options will help you to make your character unique as you travel through the world of Norrath.

Today we'll provide more detail on traits and explain how they help you individualize your character.

Do these seem kinda of underwhelming to anyone else? By level 22 you get a stat enchanement, a resist bonus, and a bonus to health/power/mana. Does not seem very robust. Maybe the higher level ones and racial ones will be cooler.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 03:12:03 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Personally... I don't think it will be ready.  The latest patch has caused a lot of server instability it would seem.  

They got this fixed last night.  I was able to play afterwards and didn't crash or lag out at all.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 05:00:29 PM »

Toe, the traits do seem minor, but they are permanent.  The racial things and what not will not be, they will be an activatable ability.  You actually get to choose 8 different traits, the lvls are just when they open up to you.  So before lvl 14 you may actually choose 2 traits.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 02:14:57 AM »

Here is the Enemy Mastery Quests.....the enemy list is not complete this just shows an example.

Yesterday we discussed some of the details of Traits, one of the elements of our Advancement Path system that helps you define your character. Today we discuss a new topic... Tactics!

Tactics: Enemy Mastery

Is your character a wood elf druid with a burning hatred for orcs that dates back to her ancestors' days fighting in Crushbone? Or a barbarian shaman whose forefathers perished battling against gnolls in Blackburrow? Or an ogre berserker with a deep-seated loathing of those scaly lizardmen contaminating the Feerrott? Then our Tactics system is just what you're looking for!

The EverQuest II Tactics Advancement Path lets you pick certain types of enemies for which your character feels a particular dislike. By learning about these opponents, you gain special abilities that allow you and your party to do extra damage against them in battle.

The type of ability you get will vary based on your character's archetype:

Priests gain the ability to weaken their opponent's attacks
Scouts learn how to make their enemy more vulnerable
Mages earn a powerful nuke that is hard for this type of creature to resist
Fighters gain a self buff that allows them to do increased damage against this creature type

These abilities grow with your character, so they will always provide an advantage against your chosen opponents. Having multiple group members with the same type of mastery skill will make your enemies tremble at your feet!

Here are the first three selections your character will receive:

Level 12 - gnolls, orcs
Level 16 - ghosts, skeletons, zombies
Level 24 - centaurs, giants, treants

Higher-level choices will feature increasingly more exotic (and more dangerous) types of enemies to pick from.

When you choose an enemy, you receive a tome that gives you background lore on that creature type and begins your quest to learn more about them. As you defeat these enemies, you find items that you can examine to gain knowledge of their tactics. Part of your quest will also involve besting a number of these creatures on the field of battle. You can track your progress toward mastery with a progress bar displayed in your quest helper window.

Choosing your own worst enemies is yet another way EverQuest II lets you individualize your character. Fans of role-playing will especially enjoy sharing tales of why their character despises goblins or centaurs. Other players will simply savor the tactical advantage these abilities give them in combat. With our Tactics system, the choice is yours to make!

Tomorrow's update will feature racial Traditions, which allow you to choose beneficial abilities unique to your race.

============================
Moorgard
EQII Community Guy
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 03:41:37 AM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Do these seem kinda of underwhelming to anyone else? By level 22 you get a stat enchanement, a resist bonus, and a bonus to health/power/mana. Does not seem very robust. Maybe the higher level ones and racial ones will be cooler.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I can't think of anything better, but I don't see those as much of a choice. Is a warrior going to pick an intelligence boost? Is a rogue going to pick something other than agility? I doubt many roleplayers even would choose something other than the obvious choice. I also hope the racial traits add something a bit more interesting.

The racial enemies list though sounds good. Not just a boost, but it sounds like an involved quest/story line to go along with it.

-Cota
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 05:33:12 AM »

It really all depends on how much of a boost.  I can see taking many of the resist boosts, and stamina and strength and agility.  The regen will be nice.  I am also not sure... the line says Higher-level trait choices offer additionaly opps...so I wonder if this is only a partial list, not full list to 50.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 05:11:55 AM »

In the last few days, we’ve talked about character traits and enemy tactics and how they help you individualize your character. We’re going to discuss each of the remaining character advancement paths in the coming week, including racial traditions, specialized training, and all-new spells and arts. Each of these areas allow you to make interesting choices to suit your character and play style.

Today, we’ll provide more detail on racial traditions and how they’ll affect your character.

Racial Traditions

Traditions are one of the advancement paths that help you to build a unique identity in EverQuest II. As players learn the background and lore of their chosen race, they begin to unlock certain bonuses. This starts with race-specific titles and leads to a choice of racial abilities. By the time they’ve reached level 50, every character will gain access to four racial traditions to help tailor their character to their preferred play style and distinguish themselves from other members of their race.

Racial traditions take many forms, but are generally activated abilities that can be used on demand to greatly improve your character for a short period of time.

When it's time to choose a new tradition, you will be presented with a list of ten options with detailed explanations of how each choice would affect your character. You can pick any one tradition from the list and enjoy its benefits immediately.

Here are some of the racial traditions -

Barbarian

Teachings of Tundra Jack – Life in the harsh outdoors has increased your powers of observation. By following the Teachings of Tundra Jack, your character enjoys enhanced tracking of prey.
Gnome

Confusing Babble – Gnomes aren’t the most durable denizens of Norrath, so it’s often useful to talk their way out of a bad situation. With a timely burst of perplexing chatter, you’re able to soothe angry creatures and lower their hatred toward you as they stop to figure out what you’re yapping about.
Dark Elf

Shadow Shroud – The world is a dangerous place and life as a dark elf is never easy. By slowing your breathing and freezing in place, you are able to hide and escape detection by most foes.
Erudite

Ward of Glyphs – Years of arcane study have imbued the erudites with an innate defense against magical damage. By steeling your mind, you can call a protective ward into existence and guard yourself against harmful spells.
Dwarf

Vital Provisions – Living in a world of magic has its advantages. Over the centuries as other races focused on developing talents in lesser areas, the dwarves learned an ability that truly matters – summoning Ale.
Half Elf

Dual Breed – The mixed heritage of the half elves gives them some benefits from both their parent races. During a battle, you may concentrate and increase both your stamina and magical power for a period of time.
Halfling

Light on the Feet – As if having naturally good looks and great personality wasn’t enough, halflings also possess other talents. A lifetime of dancing and clean living has made some halflings especially nimble, allowing them to easily dodge an adversary’s blows for a short time.
Next week we will detail our Training system, which allows you to specialize your character by choosing one of your core abilities to enhance.

This is just a small sampling of the types of things that will be done with racial traits... by no means an actual listing of all traits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: