http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FEAR 2 impressions thread  (Read 1515 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »

i got confirmation that fear 2 is on it's way via gamefly, so i'll be taking the plunge with this one by the weekend.  anyone else looking forward to this?  the only review that i could read give it high marks for ai, it's bullet time mechanic and it's level of fun.  mp is a bit of a red headed step child again, but it looks to be a good follow-up to the first one. 

only thing not mentioned in the review is about the environments or length, so hopefully both of those things are better this time around.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »

Pretty sure its not in stores until tomorrow......isn't that right? Probably gonna wait for the usual reviews before grabbing this one. The first one was a bore after a while and felt really stale, so I don't feel like throwing down 60 bucks on this one without a lot of opinions.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:12:06 AM »

I haven't read the review yet but OXM gave it 7.5. Picking up my copy tomorrow.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »

No one else pick this up? I'm about three chapters in so far and it's been a really solid shooter. Nothing groundbreaking but I've been enjoying it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »

Quote from: Simon on February 12, 2009, 08:17:26 PM

No one else pick this up? I'm about three chapters in so far and it's been a really solid shooter. Nothing groundbreaking but I've been enjoying it.

I got it, too, and I got about the same bit in. 

It is good as far as standard shooters go, but it's feeling a lot like the last one so far.  Lots of running around office-type buildings and Alma popping up "scarily."  None of the cool and actually creepy stuff from the demo (though the opening's the same).

I also really wish they'd swap the gun-choosing button and the slow-time button.  Or at least give me the option to do so.

Not bad other than that, though.  It feels tighter than the last game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »

Agreed, I've been wanting to lean around corners too.

I think once you get out of the hospital the scenery will start to vary.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »

got a little time with it and it does seem a proper sequel to the first one.  hopefully it will open up a bit as the current level really comes off as too similar

my biggest gripe is the graphics.  apparently they didn't bother to code this thing for 1080i screens, so i get to see the game in all of its 480p 'glory'.  after finishing up mgs4 and playing the killzone 2 demo, the graphics are less than impressive in this mode. 

otherwise, it looks like fun. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:38:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 13, 2009, 07:22:12 PM

my biggest gripe is the graphics.  apparently they didn't bother to code this thing for 1080i screens, so i get to see the game in all of its 480p 'glory'.  after finishing up mgs4 and playing the killzone 2 demo, the graphics are less than impressive in this mode. 

So the game only supports 480p and 1080p on the PS3? Sad.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:58:10 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 13, 2009, 07:38:03 PM

Quote from: Caine on February 13, 2009, 07:22:12 PM

So the game only supports 480p and 1080p on the PS3? Sad.

It does support 720p.  I'm guessing that Caine has a TV that won't support 720p so any PS3 game that doesn't support 1080i gets downscaled to 480p.  It was quite frequent in PS3 games for the first few months (Resistance 1 suffered from it IIRC) but it's an amateur mistake on Monoith's part this far into the generation. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:01 PM »

bingo.  it's why i never finished R1 actually.  it got to be a bit distracting and all. 

that said, i wonder if they did code 1080i for the 360.  i only rented it on the ps3 as my xbox is still in the shop and i don't expect it back until march.  if anyone can confirm 1080i, i'll send this back and just wait for kz2. 

it's especially distracting considering how much i tweaked my pc for fear 1 and how beautiful the game looked back then.  this just looks like a ps2 game at times.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 13, 2009, 10:45:01 PM

that said, i wonder if they did code 1080i for the 360.  i only rented it on the ps3 as my xbox is still in the shop and i don't expect it back until march.  if anyone can confirm 1080i, i'll send this back and just wait for kz2. 

To the best of my knowledge, the 360 will scale any game to any available resolution without a framerate hit.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:38:24 PM »

thanks D.  looks like i will be sending this one back then.  oh well, maybe i will get kz2 early if gamefly breaks date too. 

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:30 AM »

Well I finished the game this weekend.  Props to a BB employee who just got them in on Friday night and logged them into the system so I could play it. 

I really enjoyed the game I played on 1080P resolution on the 360 with no slowdown or any problems.  I played the whole game on the hard difficulty level and it really wasn't that difficult so it could have been
harder.  Some of the enemies just stayed behind cover but most ran around and tried to find ways to get to me.   It also wasn't that scary but there was a level that was awesome and does give you an eerie feeling.

The one thing that stood out was the  **** maybe spoiler ****  armored suit missions.  If they could make a game around that, that would be awesome... we need a good mech game again.. it has me itch'n to start
up Mechwarrior 3 on the PC. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:00:54 AM by shon » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:40:53 AM »

I'd really like to play this game as I'm a huge fan of FPS games, and FEAR 2 looks pretty decent. On the other hand, I absolutely can't stand the moronic use of little girls who are supposed to be scary. From the gameplay videos I've seen, the scary stuff feels too much like Alma playing to the camera instead of actually trying to accomplish her goals (whatever they are). It annoys me so much that I don't think I could enjoy the game in the end.

Japanese influence on western entertainment is like digging through a turd to find some absolutely beautiful gems inside. The gems are great, but you still had to stick your fingers into that turd.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 16, 2009, 09:40:53 AM

I'd really like to play this game as I'm a huge fan of FPS games, and FEAR 2 looks pretty decent. On the other hand, I absolutely can't stand the moronic use of little girls who are supposed to be scary. From the gameplay videos I've seen, the scary stuff feels too much like Alma playing to the camera instead of actually trying to accomplish her goals (whatever they are). It annoys me so much that I don't think I could enjoy the game in the end.

Japanese influence on western entertainment is like digging through a turd to find some absolutely beautiful gems inside. The gems are great, but you still had to stick your fingers into that turd.

I'm with you on that, TiLT.  The scary girl singing a lullaby thing is very cliched.  So far, Alma doesn't feel as irritating as she did in the last game.  She's not really playing to the camera...although she does seem to be used to lead you along the correct path so far.  The demo showed that the creepy stuff is going to be used as a gameplay element, eventually (as opposed to a startle element), but I haven't seen that yet.

One thing I like better about this sequel is that I don't feel like I have to be in slo-mo to compete in firefights.  The last one had even the grunts tearing you apart with bullets if you weren't using your advantage.  This one can play like a more standard shooter with the regular guys.  At least so far.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »

Also, Alma is grown up now so it's less the scary little girl and more the scary naked woman.

I'm on the last chapter now and it doesn't seem like she has really factored into the combat all that much. Occasionally she will pop up and trigger a short quicktime event, otherwise you just sort of see her here and there. The combat is pretty much entirely focused on soldiers and a few ghosts. Based on that you might want to give it a shot Tilt. I've really enjoyed it.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »

i did end up playing through about 2/3rds of the game (past the school) and even with the jagged edges, it's pretty fun.  the weapon variety is good and except for the pistol you can be viable with every basic weapon throughout.  you do get a good range of special weapons, but aside from the intended set pieces where you are prompted to use them, i always stick with the smg/assault rifle, shotgun. 

one thing i do like a lot is that you aren't always facing enemies who target you.  there's two 'factions' and they will battle it out if you let them. 

also, the story details you pick up via log files is great.  it explains much of the why's and are worth hunting for. 

i think i can finish this up with another game session, as it doesn't drag on even though each level can be pretty big.

in the end, i give it a 7 or 7.5 as it is very solid, but very much filled with the standards of a corridor shooter so it comes off pretty derivative. 

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:12 PM »

Quote from: Simon on February 16, 2009, 06:20:15 PM

Also, Alma is grown up now so it's less the scary little girl and more the scary naked woman.

I'm on the last chapter now and it doesn't seem like she has really factored into the combat all that much. Occasionally she will pop up and trigger a short quicktime event, otherwise you just sort of see her here and there. The combat is pretty much entirely focused on soldiers and a few ghosts. Based on that you might want to give it a shot Tilt. I've really enjoyed it.

This is what totally disappoints me about the whole thing.  I want to have Alma everywhere and/or face off against the little bitch.  This whole story revolves around her and yet she factors little to nothing in the whole thing.   May not even rent it now. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 04:59:56 AM »

Finished it tonight. Disappointing ending really, but does sort of set it up for another installment.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »

Quote from: Simon on February 17, 2009, 04:59:56 AM

Finished it tonight. Disappointing ending really, but does sort of set it up for another installment.

Yeah, the ending definitely was a disappointment.  Also, the game was incredibly short.  How long did you guys and gals take to beat it?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

I'm about 2/3 through this game now. So far I agree with most of the comments above about it being a solid but not great shooter.  The individual combat encounters are very enjoyable and I loved the mech part. I wish it would have been longer. I have only rented it but if there are multiplayer modes that focus on mech combat I may purchase the game after a price drop or two.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 06:53:13 AM »

Bought this used off Amazon last week, finished it today. I actually enjoyed the first game more, although FEAR 2 has more variety in the level design and gameplay, the first one was creepier. However, there were a few instances when Alma mind fucks you and it's pretty intense (and cool as hell!). Monolith simply sucks at level design though, they need to hire some new people. I also lost interest in the story about half way through, the little intel pickups were entirely lame and uninteresting, so the last few intervals I was charging through to finish the game and move on.

I'd score it a 6.5/10 myself, it's nothing gamers need to experience and I would only recommend it to those who played the first game and want more cool Alma scenes.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: