http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 09:59:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Female Antagonist and Enemy Fodder  (Read 1105 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »

I read this piece on Joystiq yesterday and it made for a good read.

Quote from: Joystiq
The Last of Us, Joystiq's very favorite game of 2013, is a mean game about mean people finding reasons to survive when the world's gone to hell. Joel and Ellie, the heroes of The Last of Us, dole out the harshness regularly to all sorts of bad people that are a lot meaner than them. Strange thing about the "hunters" in the game's post-apocalyptic world; they're all men. Plenty of female zombies, but no hunters. Pretty weird that the only people willing to kill other people for food and supplies are men. Women have to eat too.

Stranger still is the fact that lady hunters were apparently supposed to be in The Last of Us. Naughty Dog's artists designed them, as seen in the art book, but they never made it into the game. Then again, maybe it's not so strange. In a world of video games about fighting, shooting, surviving, and killing, female enemies are out there, as in BioShock Infinite, but they aren't common. Tomb Raider, another entry in our Best of 2013 list, also pits you against hordes of human enemies, the sinister Scavengers, and every single one of them carries around a Y chromosome. No women shipwrecked on Yamatai have killer fighting skills, only Lara?

Our question for you: is this a problem? Does it bother you that women are as under-represented as enemies as they are heroes in video games? We ask these questions and more below. We also invite you to elaborate on your answers in the comments section.

It's 2014 and we still treat women as the weaker sex when it comes to movies and games in general.  Isn't it time for a change?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:04:01 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »

I actually bet they made the decision because if you could kill women in the game, they were worried that feminist groups would cry foul that this was a woman murder simulator.

A less cynical approach might say that the types of assholes that would get together and hunt other survivors are the same types of assholes that might rape and/or kill women, so it's kind of an all-boys club.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:53:39 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:54:42 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 10, 2014, 05:51:29 PM

I actually bet they made the decision because if you could kill women in the game, they were worried that feminist groups would cry foul that this was a woman murder simulator.
truth.  they already lash out against every GTA that comes out for this exact reason. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »

I'm all for equal rights, but I'm not sure I want to mow down women in a video game. I think we have enough real-world issues with women being abused to start having that simulated in video games.

Equality typically refers to making sure each gender has the same benefits and opportunities. It doesn't mean I want more women to die of a male-dominant cancer for the sake of equality.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 10, 2014, 06:28:58 PM

I'm all for equal rights, but I'm not sure I want to mow down women in a video game. I think we have enough real-world issues with women being abused to start having that simulated in video games.

Equality typically refers to making sure each gender has the same benefits and opportunities. It doesn't mean I want more women to die of a male-dominant cancer for the sake of equality.

I can agree with this..  I know I draw the line when it comes to children, so I don't think we'll ever see that in games

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 10, 2014, 06:34:26 PM

I know I draw the line when it comes to children, so I don't think we'll ever see that in games

Oh I don't know. I know of a certain child at the end of Mass Effect 3 that many gamers would like to murder. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »

It's very possible that they abandoned the concept of women as enemies in the game simply because that would let them halve the number of NPC models and animations required in most scenes. Those things take up a lot of resources on the aging PS3.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:18:58 AM »

For games like Uncharted and TLoU, there are also memory limitations. Notice how few enemies are actually in an area at any one time? And the annoying way they would sometimes spawn in?

For TLoU, there's an interesting article about how they managed to fit all the player animations into a ridiculously small amount of memory. Having females with the different ways females move different from males, that would require almost an entirely different set of animations the same size. You can see this in multiplayer with the female skins you can randomly get set to.

And considering that multiplayer has some brutal killing of women, so I don't think that was the primary reason, there's plenty of fodder for controversy in the MP. It's likely it was a little bit of that, combined with the need to get a small amount of memory back for SP.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »

If you look at the number of female murderers vs. male murderers, it's pretty clear that the desire to kill innocent people isn't an equal opportunity activity.   I believe the number becomes even more skewed if you start looking at mass murderers.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »

I am re-playing Dragon Age:Origins and there are female bounty hunters that I have killed. Not many, but they do exist.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 01:52:08 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on January 13, 2014, 08:44:04 AM

If you look at the number of female murderers vs. male murderers, it's pretty clear that the desire to kill innocent people isn't an equal opportunity activity.   I believe the number becomes even more skewed if you start looking at mass murderers.

Demographical accuracy is hardly a compelling reason to not feature women in these roles within video games.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 01:54:12 AM »

There's the "Time Bitch" from Prince of Persia Warrior Within. Hm, also given her thong armor maybe not the best example.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: