http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:20:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite game you PLAYED in 2005, no matter it's year?  (Read 1843 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2005, 04:33:46 AM »

This will help us "memory impaired" folks.  I wanted to name Riddick the GOTY on the real GOTY thread, but had no idea when it came out - no one else mentioned it.   All I know is that I played it this year.

Feel free to stretch the thread, like:

I would have considered Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2), as my "real" GOTY, but I don't much like platform jumping and couldn't get into the single player game.  But I had, and am still having, a blast online with it.  So the online multiplayer gets my vote for - you know, online mulit-playing game (Halo 2, someday, still trying to figure out XBox Live.)  Also,  for the 360, I'm liking Quake 4 a lot, but not enough to say it's better than the other games I own and haven't played as much (or may get Sunday, woot!)

I was entranced by Zelda: Minish Cap - until I hit the "cloud world" - it had been all fun, unique, inventive Zelda stuff... until it turned into all jumping (and, for me,  falling).  Due to that I'm giving MediEvil Resurrection the nod, even though I'm not quite done with it.  The game is so perfect graphically, Sir Dan is also perfect, and the cut scenes are hysterical.  The camera was a tad wonky, but quite bearable, so that's MY game of this year - and it even came out this year!  I think...  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 04:52:19 AM »

Best game I played this year was hands down Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 10:22:25 AM »

Come to think of it, I don't think I played any pre-2005 games this year, except the first WarioWare.  I had originally planned to catch up on my huge backlog in 2005.  Looks like that plan went down the crapper...

Best game so far is Dragon Quest VIII with Guitar Hero a close second.  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 10:38:23 AM »

RE4 on the cube and...........................um..............too many others to name :wink:
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 03:03:40 PM »

Aside from my CoH/CoV addiction, I'd have to say Kameo.

No...really!

I did play Grim Fandango this year, and while I liked it, it didn't live up to what I had built it up to be in my head based on all the praise it has received.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 03:14:41 PM »

Resident Evil 4 and Half-Life 2
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 03:42:49 PM »

OMG, I keep forgetting about Half-Life 2!  I tried hacking away at my backlog by not buying any new games, and ended up forgetting about that. Sheesh.

Speaking of backlog - I caved on the "I'm only buying one game for the 360" - because that started back with it being Oblivion, which was going to keep me addicted for months.  So then I "stuck with" Kameo as the one game. Then Chaz talked me into Quake 4 (hey, free t-shirt, too!), then Best Buy had a $10 off coup, and I ended up with Condemned!

Sunday being Christmas and all, here we go again with a new backlog - likely Perfect Dark Zero, perhaps Kong... hey, maybe Half Life 2 might be under the tree too!  :shock:  Here we go again...

I also forgot about one of my favorite games I played this year that would have to take first place - Thief for the XBox, what a super game that was.  I even played Return to Castle Wolfenstein this year, speaking of older games... but Thief was definitely my played GOTY for 2005!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 03:54:25 PM »

Wow, I am uncertain that I can only choose one game this year given the wonderful pickings we've had this year. So, instead of trying to choose just one I'll just list what I enjoyed and leave it at that.

Project Gotham Racing 3: My total playing time in PGR3 is greater than the time I"ve spent playing Dragon Quest 8 (22 hours). Put plainly, the game is addictive, exciting, and has no challenger when it comes to online fun. The depth and detail PGR3 offers is just staggering. The cars are beautifully rendered, the sound is excellent, and the tracks are exciting (there is no shortage of tracks since you can create your own routes and race on them online). This is what a launch title should be, it is a good representation of what the Xbox 360 can do, and as the months go by we can expect to see great things out of the newest player in the console market.

Condemned: I think that Condemned is one of the best launch titles for the Xbox 360. Excellent use of sound(the best for the X360 to date), the graphics are outstanding, the story is excellent and everything meshes together to create an incredible mystery story.  The use of lighting in Condemned rivals anything I've seen this year, including HL2, Quake 4, FEAR, and Call of Duty. All great games, but Condemned uses light in such a way that you feel like you're a part the environment and story and not a game. Condemned also is horror/mystery done right.  The only other horror game that I could compare Condemned with is FEAR, and Condemned definitely blows FEAR out of the water. Rent, buy, trade for, but play Condemned; It is not a long game, but it is a fun one and I think you'll be impressed.

Dragon Quest 8: DQ8 is the WoW of Console RPG's. Polished like your grandma's finest silver, DQ8 delivers console rpg goodness in spades. You want a first class story backed up with a cast that is interesting and has depth? Want an RPG that features an antagonist that is not gender confused? Then pick-up Dragon Quest 8, pop it in your PS2, and for the love of god play the finest console RPG we've had in the last couple of years.

God of War: ROAR! Holy god, I mean gods... err, godess. Whatever the hell you believe in, holy yikes. Sequel please.

Half-Life 2: I'm tired of typing crap, but yeah, it was worth the delay and I can't wait for the expansion. Put a lot of exclamations and praise here. (....
.......... .......... ............ ....)

Call of Duty 2: OMG WTF MY LEGS ARE GONE! (Roller Coaster Ride but one with a few rails missing - wonky save system - annoying breathing noise when you're injured.)

Quake 4:  :shock:  That was just not right what they did to your main character. I'll never forget that moment, ever. EVER. Quake 4 is much better than DOOM 3, and is worthy of anyone's collection if they're into FPS games.

Civilization 4: Classic, timeless, like a diamond, this game will keep on giving.

Xbox Live/Arcade: This is it, the future of gaming as we know it. Microsoft is creating a service that I think is the best thing since the Nintendo Entertainment System. Quite literally the best idea in ages and will breath new life in the home entertainment sector. For the Xbox360 all games will feature achievements that you can unlock and add to your gamerscore, this idea alone makes you game in an entirely different way.  Those of us with a "gotta-catch-em-all" mentality will quite literally go ga-ga over trying to achieve everything a game has to offer in order to increase our gamerscore.

There is ofcourse the Xbox Live Arcade and the Marketplace; two features that make the X360 worth owning (not to mention the media PC and the ability to stream music from your mp3 player of choice).  Having played a few Xbox Live Arcade games I can safely say that yes, this is worth the money and time I spent to get my system. Smash TV amazingly holds up well in the gameplay department, and the ability to play that co-op through Xbox live is a major plus. Zuma? Bejewled 2? Geometry Wars 2? Holy smash mouth, and each game you play can unlock more achievements!

Throw in some party poker gaming goodness and I don't think I'll ever leave my entertainment room except for work/sex/food.

I know that it is not a game, but the Live service from Microsoft features games, music, music videos, movie and game trailers, game demos, themes, gamer portraits, achievement tracking, and much more including the media pc features, that gets my vote for game/feature/widget of the year. The live service adds so much depth to games that it is worthy of a vote.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 05:03:48 PM »

That's okay, Spar - I told everyone to feel free to stretch the thread, lol - and besides, you can do what you want - you're a pirate!!!  :twisted:

And you're right, I can't wait to finish figuring out all the incredible features of Live (like I've even started) ...  I may have to get that book "XBox 360 for Dummies" (yes, there is one!)  :lol:  I could probably learn-by-doing, except I can't wrest the controller out of several people's hands... It's all Zuma all the time over here!  I don't mind, too much - because there are going to be major pay-backs when Oblivion comes out!  :twisted:

So, best gizmo-gadget-invention-idea, and whatever else you mentioned, that "I've" played this year - defintitely goes to XBox Live and Live Arcade! :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 05:54:04 PM »

I still place DQ8 as my favorite game of the year.  I just have more plain fun with it than anything else.  smile

Civ IV, Advance Wars DS, The Movies!, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World, World of Warcraft, Diablo 2 (still play it a lot to this day!), Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting are all fantastic games I've put many hours into this year.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 06:26:46 PM »

best previously unplayed oldie: the legend of zelda: majora's mask (cube version). my favorite zelda of'm all...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 06:40:49 AM »

Far Cry: Instincts

It's one of the few I played for about a week straight after I bought it. I went through the singleplayer twice, then spent many an hour in the mapmaker.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 08:43:31 PM »

The Dawn of War Beta was absolutely mind blowing.  After it came out months later and I bought it and the crappy patches started it became less enjoyable but when it was in its original form and played online by a really dedicated group of players it was awesome.  Tactics would show up and become obsolete days later as the forums would scrutinize pretty much anything you could do.  It was an awesome, highly tactical blast that the player base really got into.  The beta alone took more of my time than anything I bought this year.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 11:12:08 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Resident Evil 4 and Half-Life 2

Ditto.  HL2 for the great online multiplay.

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 02:39:37 AM »

Battlefield 2. I'm a multiplayer fiend, and I've gotten real good at it.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 02:27:35 PM »

Great choices for most of you....man this is hard.

By system.

GBA - Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones.  I put just a ton of time into this game.   More than any other GBA game I have ever had.  

DS - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.  I am not done with it yet but so far it has the most entertaining use of the dual screens of any DS game I have played.  

PS2 - Dragon Quest 8.  I have sunk 35 hours into this and I think I still have a ton more to play.  It is just perfect in almost every way I have seen on a console RPG.

Cube - Paper Mario 2.  I think this came out last year but I just played it this year so and it is wonderful.  Entertaining, funny, with great combat, clever puzzles and a good story.  

Xbox - Ninja Gaiden: Black.  For wimps like me they put in the easy mode and I thank them.  It makes a game which was fustratingly hard into a game which is just hard. smile  I am glad I am getting to enjoy this game and I hope it has strong sales so that companies will see that wimps spend money and cater to us.  I am not even insulted I am a dog who wears pink.

I am sure I enjoyed many other games this year which I have completely forgotten but that is enough for now.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 03:46:01 PM »

I would have to say F.E.A.R.

It was just a top notch game.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 08:25:35 PM »

Gonna go with Metal Gear Solid 2.  Just blew me away this year.

TheMissingLink on PSN
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 08:31:37 PM »

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think my biggest problem is I can't really remember what games I've played this year. Sometimes I can't remember what games I've played this month.

Either way I'm pretty sure there were a lot of good ones so I call it a tie between I'll the game I liked this year.

:?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 08:39:11 PM »

Beyond Good & Evil really amazed me this year as well.  Man, at $10, that game is a STEAL.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 08:51:05 PM »

GTA III, Katamari Damacy and Shadow of the Colossus.

I picked up a PS2 in the summer. Took advantage of the backlog. Love the system. Tee hee.

And I hated RE4 'cause I wasn't gamer enough to beat it. Stopped being fun once I reached the weird underground stone town with the upper room full of chainsaw guys, and I gave the game up in favour of enjoying the games I was playing. RE4 was my Ninja Gaiden.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 10:08:04 PM »

Up until a few weeks ago, I would have said Psychonaughts, hands down. Now I've playing Far Cry Instincts and King Kong, and they are both contenders.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 11:20:10 PM »

Well so far it's either Dragon Quest VIII or World of Warcraft.  Considering I've rebuscribed to World of Warcraft 3-4 separate times in 2005 I'd have to say that's a strong candidate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: