http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:41:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FATE Released. (Think Diablo 1 + Nethack. But pretty.)  (Read 8837 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2005, 11:03:50 PM »

Because of all the talk about it, I downloaded and played the demo.

It's alot of fun alright.  

I was dismayed to see a couple of things though:
One- the limited viewing options.  After Dungeon Siege, I have a hard time accepting the limited camera controls, it really is annoying to have to play that way.  What's the point of outfitting your character in all the gear if you can't zoom in and admire it in action?

Second, the pet is nice, improves on DS's packmule in the area of combat usefulness, however it doesn't carry enough stuff(or I should be able to have more pets).  I STILL found me and my pet so loaded down with loot that we had to make trips back to town just to unload it- something DS did away with.  In DS I never had to interrupt my progress, because I had enough packmules to carry everything I picked up until I felt like unloading it.

I miss not having a button to push that would make my character automatically pick up all the loot laying around after combat.  And if my character was overloaded, the loot would automatically be loaded on to my pet.

Finally, the merchants in town NEVER had a good axe to sell, at any price.  I was playing an axe wielder and wouldn't you know it, the one thing they didn't sell was a killer axe.  Saw alot of good swords and pikes and bows though. The game outta be able to tilt the sales stuff toward what the player wants to play, in my opinion. If the character is hauling around an axe, I think more often than not merchants should have a good axe or two to sell.

Good stuff: This game has a great loot system. By that I mean the stuff I got after combat was always close enough in requirements so that my character had a shot at using it sometime soon. DS had a big problem in that I was always carrying around stuff I knew I wouldn't be able to use for a long ass time.

I love the fishing element.  That is the best mini-game I've played in awhile.  It works in terms of helping the player in the game, but also just as something different to do when you think you might be getting bored of dungeon romping.

The money balance, at least in the demo, is perfect.   I never felt so poor that the game was becoming not fun to play, but I never felt like I had so much money that I could buy everything my character needed(rendering the dungeon crawl irrelevant).  Even after I sold a rare artifact for 122,000 golds once I still had plenty of stuff to spend money on and was never sitting on a huge pile of useless golds.

Considering it's a budget title, it's pretty amazing.  That whole 'limited unlocking codes' situation is a deal breaker though.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2005, 12:02:36 AM »

Been meaning to suggest this...

Hey Travis, can we get a button that switches the camera to the same position as on the continue playing screen so we can see how we look in any environment? I often save and exit just to see a new piece of equipment.

Send your pet to town if you want...it'll sell everything it has and come back.

Limited unocking codes...why is this such a big deal to people?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2005, 12:35:05 AM »

I was thinking there were pet commands that might have made that easier, I guess there was.

I'm just used to buying games, and having the cd to install/uninstall without having to worry about unlocking anything.  I can't see spending money on a game where I know I have limited install options.

I have a 40gb hard drive. So, depending on what I feel like playing, I have only 3 or 4 games installed at any one time, so as to save room on my HD for other things(music, demos, etc).  So I'm re-installing something just about every week.  

For example, Max Payne 2 got uninstalled shortly after I got into Garry's mod.  But now, a new mod for MP 2 has been released and I'm gonna re-install it so I can play the mod.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2005, 03:03:18 AM »

*nods* ok that makes sense...

What if there were a way to leave a "key" of some kind on the HD that would use minimal space but you could delete the rest?

unbreakable
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2005, 04:08:28 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
*nods* ok that makes sense...

What if there were a way to leave a "key" of some kind on the HD that would use minimal space but you could delete the rest?

This should help.
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2005, 02:33:19 AM »

Well, it's an "idea", but without knowing if it actually works or not, it's kind of useless.

There should be some Official mechanism for backing up your license. Windows Media Player lets you do this.

I wonder how tolerant the unlock is to hardware changes? It should be VERY tolerant, but somehow I doubt that it is that sophisticated.

It looks like a great game, but frankly I'm turned off by the whole DRM thing. Why do I need to get WT's or anyone's permission to change my hardware, or move the game to a different system? I know you get two unlocks, with more "by request" - but the point is, I shouldn't have to deal with it. This isn't some $500 piece of software. If Fate had a traditional unlock system, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd write a check directly to Travis for $30 for the game. As it is, I can't justify supporting WildTangent. The DRM, the whole phone home thing (they say it's innocent.. just ignore the man behind the curtain..), it's just too much.

I think instead I'll go buy another game from Spiderweb.

See my list of games I have and want.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2005, 01:03:55 PM »

There are supposed to be other purchasing options available soon.

Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2005, 11:10:05 PM »

I hope that is true, I'd really like to play!

See my list of games I have and want.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2005, 08:49:36 PM »

Well I've had nothing but bad experiences with trying to unlock this game. Every time I try to unlock it I get "Invalid Unlock Code," even after I submitted a ticket to CS about this and they increased the amount of unlocks. I click the submit button and it does nothing, I click again, nothing, I click a thrid time then I get the error message.

*sigh*

Sadly, if they can't fix this then I'll be asking for a refund, loved the demo.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2005, 10:59:46 PM »

Any chance you're getting a 0 and a O mixed up?  Or a 1 and an l?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2005, 11:31:57 PM »

On their forums, I read that it's a bad idea to keep trying a code that isn't working, as it can use up your unlocks.  I'd contact them and let them sort it out before trying the code again.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2005, 03:56:56 AM »

That's odd, mine worked perfectly.
After starting my initial character on the easiest setting, I've been playing a bow-gal on the regular difficulty. I'm about level 13 on dungeon level 24 or so. Some of the boss fights are really kicking my butt. I did upgrade my pets from frost beetles to Wyverns, and got a couple of armor pieces with better defensive ratings. The latter seems to have helped a lot.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2005, 12:34:27 PM »

Well, after numerous attempts to get this game unlocked, and trying everything that WildTangent has asked me to do, I cannot seem to play beyond the demo. I requested a full refund and got it.

I can see a great game there, and wish I could play it, but I'm not going to jump through hoops for it.

StormcloudCreations
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2005, 04:52:46 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Well, after numerous attempts to get this game unlocked, and trying everything that WildTangent has asked me to do, I cannot seem to play beyond the demo. I requested a full refund and got it.

I can see a great game there, and wish I could play it, but I'm not going to jump through hoops for it.

A few people have asked "Why don't you add some type of DRM or protection into your games?". The situation above is why I haven't. If I had EA's sales totals, I wouldn't be as concerned. But I don't. smile

Derek
Stormcloud Creations
www.stormcloudcreations.com
unbreakable
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2005, 05:57:57 AM »

You can always go retro and include a 'code wheel'  Tongue
how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2005, 01:42:36 PM »

Since installing Fate I noticed slower boot-ups of my systems and slower internet speeds. I also hear my HD being active quite a bit when nothing much was occurring. And, an old favorite of mine, Helherron would not start.
The last time this happened it was due to a Trojan.
I downloaded the latest definitions for Spy Bot and ran it.
Viola! It did not like Fate. I did a search and it seems many regard this piece of crap as spyware, at best and a Trojan, at worst.
I let Spy Bot remove the junk, uninstalled the program and rebooted.
All my aforementioned symptoms were gone and Helherron now boots with no problem as often as I like!
Best Regards
How

PS-Anyone know where Peacedog is? He's an old friend form the Gone Gold Forum.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2005, 02:50:20 PM »

Quote from: "how786"
PS-Anyone know where Peacedog is? He's an old friend form the Gone Gold Forum.

He and some other Admins from Gone Gold created their own forum which basically mirrors the ones from Gone Gold. You can find them here.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2005, 04:49:38 PM »

You know, my credit card was just cancelled and reissued because of fraud.

I wonder now. Because this happened very close to when I installed this game.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2005, 04:25:21 AM »

My hip's been acting up a bit, and the tap water tastes funny.  I swear it happened when I hit level 23.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2005, 07:44:39 AM »

Latest Patch was released yesterday. v1.20

http://download.wildgames.com/wildgames/fate-patch-120.exe

From the Wildtangent forums:

Fixes:

- Monsters no longer skip over your summoned creatures to immediately attack you instead

- Elemental damage on weapons now responds properly to elemental resistances

- Dervish and Haste are now mutually exclusive due to the nature of their effects - each one cancels the other

- Frostrind won't appear so much

- Improved loading times on many machines!

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: