http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FATE Released. (Think Diablo 1 + Nethack. But pretty.)  (Read 8752 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2005, 07:40:36 AM »

I played the demo to completion and immediately registered this game.  It's a great dungeon crawl Diablo clone, and comes highly recommended!

It's published by WildTangent, which might set off some spyware alarms in your head, but apparently WildTangent was just misunderstood, or something -- eh, it's a long story and it's already told on Qt3 and OO.  I'll be glad to link to the threads that explain how WT is safe to have installed if someone wants to see it.

Check out the demo to Fate at http://playfate.com/!  The game is ~27mb, but if you want high-quality sounds and better textures, you can download the enhanced media addon, which weighs in at ~115mb.

So far I'm hooked in a big way and really enjoying it.  Give it a shot!  Registration is a paltry $20, so if you like it and want more, (and you probably will if you like d-crawls), it's cheap to unlock the full game.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 07:59:53 AM »

Isn't this singleplayer only?

In which case, I'm saaaaaad, as I love cooperative gameplay, particularly in this genre.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 12:05:54 PM »

I've been playing this due to the forum effect on OO.  Damn this is fun.  I caught a fish that turned my dog into a spider permanently.  Something about the spider animation (the articulation of the legs) is among the best Ive ever seen.  When watching my pet patrol around me, I get squeamish.  (Im a wuss, I know.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 01:23:17 PM »

I got one of those fish, Jake, and then I bought the charm spell that lets you summon spiders, and I was able to summon 6 more... so I was trolling around the dungeon with one big and six smaller spiders. It was a hoot!

I've also caught fish that turned my doggie into a Beholder like creature (big blob with lots of eyes), a Dire Wolf (purplish), and an Owlbear (owlbeast?). I love how, if you quit the game with your pet turned into a creature, the creature shows up on the login screen when you run the game the next time.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

Can you install to any drive I saw that you could with the upgrade but the main install went to my C drive did not see if it gave me an option.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 07:43:49 PM »

Quote from: "Haavok1"
Can you install to any drive I saw that you could with the upgrade but the main install went to my C drive did not see if it gave me an option.
No, that's one annoying problem with the game that the devs promise they're trying to get fixed.  However, the devs have also said that if you allow it to install to C, then just cut/paste the folder to where you actually want it, the game will run fine.

It's a lame fix and a big oversight, but there is a way around it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 10:42:53 PM »

Great game.  I picked up the CD version with the signed poster the other day off the wildtangentstuff.com website.  I only wish the rest of their games were this good.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 01:06:43 AM »

Can you post those links? I remember having to do a lot of fancy tricks to get that WildTangent spyware crap off my computer and it's caused a very tarnished reputation.

Who reads these anyway?
chump24
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 04:44:32 PM »

Downloaded it and really loving so far.

What is the diffenrence between the demo and the registered version.
I look all over the site but i don't see any information.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 05:02:14 PM »

Demo only allows you to go down to the 3rd level, but no deeper.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 05:17:19 PM »

Quote from: "Scuba-V"
Can you post those links? I remember having to do a lot of fancy tricks to get that WildTangent spyware crap off my computer and it's caused a very tarnished reputation.
Sure.

*puts miner hat on*

WT's own page about spyware.

QT3 Thread where dev explains his understanding of WT. (read the user tbaldree's posts).

OO Thread replete with WT debate/meditation/explanation (see bottom)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
chump24
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 11:19:05 PM »

Thanks Charlatan for the info.

Looks like i will be registering.
Like the idea of the family tree and heirlooms.
Fun little game.
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 04:27:32 AM »

Well, I snapped and bought it and have 2 characters both around level 11, one 6 levels in (On hard) and one like 9 levels in on normal.

I'm iffy on if a mage character is viable.  If anyoen else has made one, let me know.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 04:59:28 AM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
Well, I snapped and bought it and have 2 characters both around level 11, one 6 levels in (On hard) and one like 9 levels in on normal.

I'm iffy on if a mage character is viable.  If anyoen else has made one, let me know.

I made a mage character that is too viable, in other words, I feel totally overpowered.  I'm only level 11-12 or so, but with all my level ups going into magic, and a majority of my skillpoints going into charming, my army of 6 conjured pets obliterates everything in my path.  I mean, I'm only on the 13th floor of the dungeon and I have 6 level 33 wyverns following me around.  I'm going to start self imposing a limit of 2-3 summoned pets at once to try and make it feel balanced, because I really like the idea of throwing fireballs from afar while my minions hold the front.  Like I said though, I'm only level 11, so maybe it'll be tougher to be a summoner later on in the game.

I really like how your mana continuously recharges.  I prefer mana potions to be something you use in an emergency instead of being your only way of replenishing your mana bar.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 05:43:07 AM »

It does get a lot tougher further in especially in the 20s.  There needs to be more potion slots  biggrin .  

The skills are on dimishing returns too.  So, putting a lot of points into one or two skills isn't really that wise.  I don't know the exact cutoff, but add to skills in the 30s does hardly anything.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 06:05:06 AM »

I'll agree, the game does need a little rebalancing, though this could perhaps come in the form of other mods.

Charm Magic is far and away the most powerful spell school -- to the point of overpoweredness, as wonder mentioned.  There either needs to be a penalty to exp gain when using summons or summons need to be majorly toned down.

OTOH, Dual Wield is pretty underpowered if I understand Travis's explanation right.  Basically, when you dual wield, you attack 20% faster but do 75% damage with the right hand and 50% with the left.  Putting points into Dual Wield raises these numbers, which diminish in returns, asymptotically approaching 100% right / 75% left.  So if you want the highest possible value, 99% right / 74% left, you have to invest hundreds, maybe thousands of points into Dual Wield.  All for a paltry 20% faster attack.  Plus you give up the armor and the blocking ability a shield provides.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 06:21:36 AM »

Still even with the balance issues, its not at all bad for something that was programmed in 6 months by one person  :shock:  :lol:

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 04:54:47 PM »

I'm trying a dual-wield/critical strike guy to see how that fares. Oh and putting points in magic/defense for defensive stuff only (I'm probably gonna make a different character for charm magic experimentation).

So far I've put points into sword, axe, critical strike, dual wield and a teeny few in casting (I assume this is the "magic" requirement on some items) and defense magic.

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 05:40:28 PM »

MY first guy was a dual wield critical strike guy (on hero though).

He pimps out a LOT of damage...40+ a hit.  But he also takes his fair share of damage.  They need a parry skill like there is a shield block skill.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2005, 07:17:25 PM »

It's a silly little game but I can't stop playing. biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »

Anyone gotten very far on normal mode, what level are the creatures 40 levels down? smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 04:48:59 AM »

Okay this is fun.

I swore I wouldn't install this and yet here I am.

The only thing I wish for at this point is a more flexible camera option.  I'd like to be able to rotate it and have it stay that way when I get up near a wall.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 06:08:48 AM »

New Patch out!

http://download.wildgames.com/wildgames/fate-patch-118.exe

Fixes a bunch of things.  Check the forum post about it here.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 01:38:15 PM »

I like this Baldtree fellow.  smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »

So whats the final concensus from the purchasers so far? Is it well worth the purchase price?  Does it have longevity and excellent replayability?

Right now i'm addicted to Battleon.com....
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 02:57:14 PM »

While I haven't played this game yet (and I just might soon), I keep this in mind - some console games only give you about 10-15 hours of gameplay, and those cost $50 to buy.

But for $20, I'd be happy with 5-10 hours of really good gameplay. And based on what I've seen here, something tells me there's far more included.

And no, I don't work for the company. Just my thoughts. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2005, 03:31:15 PM »

I'm not really figuring in the cost...i just want a good long replayable actionrpg.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 03:33:31 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
So whats the final concensus from the purchasers so far? Is it well worth the purchase price?  Does it have longevity and excellent replayability?

Right now i'm addicted to Battleon.com....

Well, I've played two characters: one is a charm-magic guy on the 3rd hardest difficulty level. I've played him around 10 hours and he's on level 28 or so of the dungeon.

My 2nd guy is a critical-strike dual wielding guy who is on the 2nd hardest difficulty. I've played him about 17 hours and he's on level 29 or slo also.

They play completely differently and I can see how a mage wielding damage spells would be different again. Plus I could do a defensive guy - high armor, high shield skill.

Anyway I've gotten plenty of play time out of it - and haven't "beaten" the game yet. Plus my son has played 9 hours on a charm mage. He just beat his boss after 9 hours (on easiest mode).

There's lots to do with gambling for items, buying and trying to improve items, questing, fishing... I'd say it's well worth the $20 you pay for it. It's a perfect game to play for 10 minutes or so, or "just until I finish this one quest."

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 04:26:48 PM »

Anyone familiar with how the unlock works for the downloaded version?  Will i have a problem if i want to put it on my laptop and desktop and reinstall it at a future date too?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »

I haven't bought it (or played it yet since I can't install it anywhere but c) but I think you get like 3 unlocks for your $20. But, I think you can also plead to the main developer and he will help you out. If Wild Tangent ever goes under, then I think your screwed.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2005, 10:45:15 PM »

You get 3 unlocks right off the bat.  If you run out of those, you send an email or call them and then they give you 3 more.  After those, its on a case by case basis until you reach a mysterious "unlock limit".

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2005, 03:02:44 PM »

Well, Travis' post on Q23 about backing up your license key directory has sold me.  I'm buying this one.  I can install it on my laptop and desktop and backup the license files in case of data loss, destruction, or plain reformat.

Sounds excellent to me.

Travis has totally sold me on this game by his super cool attitude, support, and enthusiasm on multiple forums.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2005, 01:45:57 AM »

You guys just got me addicted to this game, curses ;-)

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2005, 05:42:28 PM »

Fun! I'm having a blast with it  biggrin
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2005, 06:12:14 PM »

As am I.  I'm at the point where I can't figure out whether to retire my character and pass on an item, or keep pushing a little further for something better to pass on.

That, and an irrational desire to find out where the reputation caps out...

Curse you, CG effect!

Bless you, CG effect!

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2005, 03:40:14 AM »

There are games out there like Nethack or Angband that have benefited from years of enormous support and growth. Some reviewers have spoken of Fate as a 'pretty' variant of these games.
 I'd like to hear from someone who is familair with the older games and has also played Fate.

Thanks
How786
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2005, 09:21:22 PM »

Wow! This game is an extremely addictive beast!

I picked up Half Life 2 about a week ago and it's collecting dust while I play this.
Travis B should be commended for this gem, not to mention the support it's recieving.

Here's my little guy, a warrior with massive strength smile
how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2005, 03:53:49 PM »

Playing and enjoying the demo. I've a question about the spell hot keys, the function keys.  I've assigned spells function keys but when I hit the key the spell does not cast.
 Am I supposed to hit the key and then right click the mouse?
 TY
 How786

PS-Is there a working support forum?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2005, 04:05:38 PM »

Get out of the main spell menu (the one where you drag your newly purchased spells) and get to the main gameplay screen.  In the bottom right corner you'll see the little box for the active spell.  Click that, and you should see boxes pop up for all your other stored spells.  Mouse over a spell and hit the function key you want it to be assigned to.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2005, 04:22:25 PM »

Quote from: "how786"
Am I supposed to hit the key and then right click the mouse?

That's my understanding of how it works.  The quick-keys are for quickly cycling to the spell, but you still have to right click to cast it.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: