http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 09:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly  (Read 2781 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2005, 12:37:09 AM »

Well, I finally decided to take a break from WoW as I was getting bored, and dusted off my XBOX.  Haven' played a game since Halo 2.  So I went out and  
bought Fatal Frame 2 on a whim.  I played the first one and enjoyed it emensely.  But this one... WOW!!!

This has got to be one of the most underrated console games around, I mean
it just oozes with style.  You literally cannot play this game for extended periods of time, as the tension is too much.

Do yourself a favor, skip Brothers in Arms, and pick this game up.  Even if you aren't a fan of the genre.

Anyone play through the FPS mode.  I haven't tried it yet, cause fps on consoles suck... IMHO.

"Goonies never say die"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 12:39:27 AM »

Man, seems like we have the "Fatal Frame 1/2 rocks!" thread at least once every other month.  You'd think that people would've listened to the Fatal Frame fans by now.  The game's awesome!  Buy three copies!

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 06:01:43 AM »

i played the first on both PS2 and X Box, and I immediately went out and bought 2 when it came out.  GREAT games.  I tried when it came out, and GG was still up to try and drum up some support for it.  But no one liked horror games really.  i think some of the Resident Evil games have turned people away from things like that.  The FF games have been creepy beyond belief really for a console game.  There were a couple of times where I really jumped a bit.  Great story, awesome look.  If you like that, and you have a gamecube, you might want to check out Eternal Darkness.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 07:47:11 AM »

I seriously could not play this game for long stretches, way too intense.

Although it's a great spectator game, as my sister enjoyed watching the whole creepy setting.

They need to make a movie from the series.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 01:51:24 PM »

I've got the first one thanks to triggercut's pumping the game up in the forums.  It's pretty good stuff.  Maybe you should grab a copy of it before it disapppears as they can be hard to find.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 02:59:38 PM »

i can't remember who posted a 'scariest game ever' poll thread up here a couple months back, but the 2 fatal frame games easily defeated all competition - & rightfully so...

& i too could only play for short periods smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 04:47:49 PM »

Could be this one. slywink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 06:44:36 PM »

Do you need to play the first FF game in order to understand the second?  I see FF2 all over the place, but am having a tough time tracking down the first one.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 08:55:17 PM »

Amazon still sells it, I think.  Online might be the way to go.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 08:58:18 PM »

Nope, the two games are seperate story-wise.  The only mention of the first game is through some newsclipping.

In fact, the second game is probably better in that they fixed a lot of complaints players had from the first one.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 07:11:02 AM »

I would recommend the 2nd before the first.  The camera controls were much better and not sluggish like they were in the first.  I think the acting and story and voicing is much better in 2 as well.  Overall 2 was a better game.  They got it real right the 2nd time around.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 02:37:49 PM »

FF2 definitely gets my vote for Scariest Game Ever.  There were times when I didn't think I could finish it, it got so scary.  I love it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 11:44:09 PM »

Way, way late to the party on this one.

After being out of town this weekend I returned with an odd desire to play something truly scary that I hadn't played before. I had started Condemned 2 last week, and while I was enjoying it, I never really found it (or the first game) to be all that scarifying. So, I saw the thread on the new Silent Hill game and thought, "Hey I always wanted to check that series out!" So I started checking 360 backwards compatibility along with which SH games were out for XBox. I also read some game reviews on the used-to-be-reliable Gamespot. I also looked at some old "Scariest game ever" posts and then cruised out to Gamestop in search of Fatal Frame 2 and Silent Hill 2. So I went trolling through my Gamestop's used section... and they had neither. Thankfully here in Greensboro there are roughly 87 Gamestops (ok, really just 6), so I went to another about a mile away and was able to track down used copies of each game for the XBox. After perusing both manuals via the wonderful Replacement Docs site, I sat down Sunday night and started Fatal Frame 2 since many listed it as their favorite scariest game.

Well, first off, the game plays in a damn box on my screen. Huh?! I guess I could set the 360 to 480p to get it to stretch, but I was bummed that the X-Box version didn't have a widescreen mode. Plus this box seems narrower than it should be - narrower than SD channels are. Anyway, I am finding the game well done. I really didn't like the feel of "camera combat" at first, but I am warming up to it. I think the story is somewhat interesting. The atmosphere is pretty darned creepy. But, I haven't really found it to be all that scary yet. I am in chapter 3, and saw my first somewhat scary cut scene, just before the unphotographable instant kill ghost of death just before but long after a savepoint got me (twice). I am definitely going to stick with this as I like it, but does it get scarier from here?

I like the generally slower pace of the game, but do wish the girl could run and turn a bit more quickly. The graphics don't look bad at all for "last gen". I really wish the Wii could eliminate jaggies as well as the XBox apparently could. I am still incredulous that the new Wii exclusive Fatal Frame won't have Wiimote aiming. That's just dumb.

Anyway, fun so far, but I hope it gets more scary!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 12:03:29 AM »

I found it to be scary for pretty much the whole game.  I might give the edge to the first half, but I remember scary things throughout the game.  I could also just be a scaredy cat.  icon_smile

Do you play it with the lights off and the sound turned up?  I found it wasn't nearly as scary playing it in daylight with other stuff distracting me in the background.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 12:29:12 AM »

I've had this for my 360 for a while now and never got past the first hour in the game.  I'm currently on a retro kick, finishing up fable right now, so it may be high time to actually sit down and play this one through.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 01:59:28 AM »

got distracted & never did finish it (after getting quite a ways in). really enjoyed the first one...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 03:03:56 AM »

Playing with the lights out certainly makes it easier on my eyes to actually see what's going on. I always play games with the sound up. smile

I got to the beginning of chapter 5 tonight. I do find the game disturbing and creepy, but not really all that scary like say: System Shock 2, Eternal Darkness, and the undead portions of Thief and cradle mission of Thief 3... Still I am having fun, so I'll keep soldiering on.

-John

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 03:05:43 AM »

I don't get scared by anything and this game really f'd me up. I was at the mall today looking for a used copy of FF3 and saw that it was 45 bucks. I know it's rare but damn!  crybaby I think this series really gets overlooked for some reason.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 03:07:05 AM »

Quote from: JCC on August 27, 2008, 03:03:56 AM

Playing with the lights out certainly makes it easier on my eyes to actually see what's going on. I always play games with the sound up. smile

I got to the beginning of chapter 5 tonight. I do find the game disturbing and creepy, but not really all that scary like say: System Shock 2, Eternal Darkness, and the undead portions of Thief and cradle mission of Thief 3... Still I am having fun, so I'll keep soldiering on.

I'd actually say tense more then scared. I swear my back muscles hurt after playing for prolonged periods because it would make me so on edge.. Damn now I"m itching to play it.  nod
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 03:33:35 AM »

Can anyone confirm that FF2 will work correctly on an 80gb PS3?

I'd love to play it again.  I played it through on the xbox, but would rather give it a shot on the PS3 since I don't even have my xbox hooked up any more. (Yes I am lazy enough to buy the game again for a different platform, then just hook up the xbox)

Also has anyone tried playing #3 under emulation?  Was thinking about picking it up on ebay if it would work.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 05:31:33 AM »

Quote from: jcranmer on August 27, 2008, 03:33:35 AM

I'd love to play it again.  I played it through on the xbox, but would rather give it a shot on the PS3 since I don't even have my xbox hooked up any more. (Yes I am lazy enough to buy the game again for a different platform, then just hook up the xbox)

Also has anyone tried playing #3 under emulation?  Was thinking about picking it up on ebay if it would work.

Via Sony's site:

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Publisher: TecmoProduct No: SLUS-20766
Description: During various FMV sequences throughout the title, the audio stutters.

Fatal Frame III: The Tormented
Publisher: TecmoProduct No: SLUS-21244
Description: Throughout gameplay, various environment graphics appear corrupt.

Make of it what you will.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 05:51:02 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 27, 2008, 05:31:33 AM

Quote from: jcranmer on August 27, 2008, 03:33:35 AM

Via Sony's site:

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Publisher: TecmoProduct No: SLUS-20766
Description: During various FMV sequences throughout the title, the audio stutters.

Fatal Frame III: The Tormented
Publisher: TecmoProduct No: SLUS-21244
Description: Throughout gameplay, various environment graphics appear corrupt.

Make of it what you will.

On the other hand, it works fine with my 60gb.  Hmm, maybe I'll give 'em another try.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »

Ya the emulation on the 80 blows.. If I had known it was going to be so bad I would have searched for a used 60 gig.  crybaby I'm currently playing Dragon Quest 8 and the sound pops every once in a while. It's not a huge deal but it just annoys me that the emulation for almost any ps2 game has some kind of issue on the 80.  icon_frown
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »

I might have to give them a try and see how bad they are under emulation.  I knew about the emulation issues on the 80, but I had way too much trouble finding a 60 at the time.  Plus there just aren't enough games on the PS2 I want to go back and play again.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »

The emulation issues on anything other than a 20/60 are what pushed me over to buying a 40, since I didn't feel like tracking down a 20/60.  I figured that with all the problems with emulation, I'd be constantly worried about the game I'm playing suddenly developing a problem 2/3 of the way through, so I just hung on to my PS2.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 10:19:57 PM »

Quote from: jcranmer on August 27, 2008, 09:58:12 PM

I might have to give them a try and see how bad they are under emulation.  I knew about the emulation issues on the 80, but I had way too much trouble finding a 60 at the time.  Plus there just aren't enough games on the PS2 I want to go back and play again.

But you could always spend $129 to purchase a brand new PS2! It's an amazing feature and ability!

Stupid fucking Sony. Makes me glad I have a 60GB model.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »

Ok, that creepy house with the dolls are pretty scary. There was a nice "boo-scare" in there too. Now of course I just lost the camera and immediately got hit with a one hit death. It was just after a save point, but I think things like that are cheap. I have a feeling this part of the game without the camera is going to irritate me.

-John

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 03:53:09 PM »

I have Fatal Frame 2 - never played it, but want to eventually.  Is it self-contained, or do you need to play the original first?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »

It's pretty self contained.  The only mention of Fatal Frame 1 is from some news clipping.

Fatal Frame 3 has characters from FaFr1 and 2, but I think even that one is self contained.
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 27, 2008, 10:19:57 PM

But you could always spend $129 to purchase a brand new PS2! It's an amazing feature and ability!

Stupid fucking Sony. Makes me glad I have a 60GB model.

Or I could actually just find my old PS2 and dust it off.  Then start looking for all the cables, memory cards, ect. biggrin  I've got one around here somewhere....Just haven't used it in a long time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: