http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:23:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FASA Shuts Down - Who'll Give me my Mecha Fix Now?  (Read 1598 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »

As reported on the GT news page and probably to no surprise to anyone, FASA Game Studios has shut down:

http://gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=10211

I must say I'm sad to see them go as they did create a number of games I own, have enjoyed playing and still play. MechCommander 2 is by far my favorite game that they developed. My bigger concern is that they developed a type of game that no other game devs currently have in their pipeline. I really hoped that we'd someday see a mecha RPG that was something like the Battletech universe, but the chances of that happening just got slimmer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:13:55 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »

and who's going to do Crimson Skies?  crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:26:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2007, 03:21:52 PM

Oh crap, I forgot they developed that game. That definitely challenges MC2 as my favorite FASA game. Sad day indeed! icon_cry
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »

From what I understand not only did FASA get their asses kicked so bad making that game that another studio had to be brought on to fix it, but I think that other studio is still around and kicking.  MS still owns the license so another Crimson Skies game is certainly possible. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2007, 03:29:42 PM

From what I understand not only did FASA get their asses kicked so bad making that game that another studio had to be brought on to fix it, but I think that other studio is still around and kicking.  MS still owns the license so another Crimson Skies game is certainly possible. 

I loved the Crimson Skies games.  It was the first Xbox 1 game I bought when I got my 360.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »

Crimson Skies, MechWarrior (the REAL games, not the RTS one), Shadowrun (the RPG, not shooter)...

So many classics gone. Damnit!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »

Man....Friday Night Fights with Crimson Skies.  I loved that game. 

Hit up Airtight Games and tell me that the stuff they are developing doesn't sit VERY nicely with the Crimson Skies universe: http://www.airtightgames.com/currentproject.html

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 13, 2007, 03:57:32 PM

I loved the Crimson Skies games.  It was the first Xbox 1 game I bought when I got my 360.

I enjoyed the Xbox game but I thought it was a pale shadow of the original PC game. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 04:39:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2007, 04:12:08 PM

I enjoyed the Xbox game but I thought it was a pale shadow of the original PC game. 

I never got to play the PC game, and never actually finished the X-Box one, but I really liked the concept.

Because I can,
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 04:42:58 PM »

Hm... it's been a long time (probably since release) since I've played Crimson Skies for the PC.  The Xbox version I played last year.  What were the major changes?  I don't remember them being that different.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 04:46:44 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 13, 2007, 04:42:58 PM

Hm... it's been a long time (probably since release) since I've played Crimson Skies for the PC.  The Xbox version I played last year.  What were the major changes?  I don't remember them being that different.

IIRC the PC version was closer to a flight sim and everything 'first person' instead of '3rd person'.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 05:07:20 PM »

They are different games in the same universe with same characters.  PC version was more of a sim than the Xbox version but only in the sense that you controlled it with a joystick instead of gamepad.  I thought the PC game had a better story, better characterization, more "flare", and better and more creative missions. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 05:36:41 PM »

The PC version was like MechWarrior2 (or even Interstate 76) applied to the cartoon "TaleSpin", and the HighRoadToRevenge was more like MechAssault.

The whole TaleSpin reference is it's the easiest way to visually describe the world where aviation, rather than motor-cars, dominated the 20's and 30's development.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 06:05:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2007, 04:46:44 PM

IIRC the PC version was closer to a flight sim and everything 'first person' instead of '3rd person'.

Although I liked the PC version a bit better, it wasn't nearly as approachable to Joe gaming public as the XBox version. IIRC you really needed a joystick and needed to have it configured correctly if you wanted to get the most out of the PC version . Not at all a difficult task by todays standards, but made annoyingly difficult at the time by Microsoft's constant bungling of DirectX's input device support.
And the PC version's online multiplay was fairly piss poor in comparison to the Live support featured in the Xbox version.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 06:17:58 PM »

the pc version was hard.  some missions were just incredibly frustrating.  the race through the hollywood hills makes the mafia race look like a cakewalk. 

i took it back after the infamous save game deletion bug hit. 

it really sucks a ton that fasa is gone.  boo ms, boo.  this is almost as bad as ea/origin.  didn't you idiots make enough money from mc2, mw4, mw4:m, ma, ma2, and shadowrun?  hmm, maybe if you hadn't mis-managed the marketing or the design you would have made some money. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:21:33 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 07:40:01 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 13, 2007, 05:36:41 PM

The PC version was like MechWarrior2 (or even Interstate 76) applied to the cartoon "TaleSpin", and the HighRoadToRevenge was more like MechAssault.

The whole TaleSpin reference is it's the easiest way to visually describe the world where aviation, rather than motor-cars, dominated the 20's and 30's development.

You know, that's a great way of putting it (especially the TaleSpin reference). I feel old again.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 01:38:12 AM »

I think it's just the video game studio that's gone right? I mean, it's not like all of a sudden MechWarrior is going to up and disappear. Just that the studio making the video games es no mas. I believe the tabletop stuff is totally separate.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 03:09:53 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 14, 2007, 01:38:12 AM

I think it's just the video game studio that's gone right? I mean, it's not like all of a sudden MechWarrior is going to up and disappear. Just that the studio making the video games es no mas. I believe the tabletop stuff is totally separate.

I think most of us here only care about the video games- using dice and figures is so low tech  Tongue

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 02:25:49 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 14, 2007, 01:38:12 AM

WizKid Games still manufactures the MechWarrior tabletop series, but in the city where I live it's becoming difficult to find a retailer that carries them. And I've been in some US cities while on business trips where not a single retailer stocked them.
There still are tournaments happening where I live, but the numbers of venues hosting them has greatly reduced. So unfortunately things are looking a wee bit bleak for the whole series right now.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »

They need a Hollywood blockbuster to rekindle the flame.

Maybe Uwe has some free time. Roll Eyes

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 14, 2007, 04:06:28 PM

he could make it a Vs. movie  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 14, 2007, 04:11:15 PM

Quote from: Purge on September 14, 2007, 04:06:28 PM

he could make it a Vs. movie  icon_biggrin

Uh-huh...well those 2 suggestions are excellent if your intent is to kill off the MW series for all time eternal.  icon_eek
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 04:44:09 PM »

Mechwarrior VS Crimson Skies!!!  Dive-bomb a Mad Cat, bitches!

Seriously, though, I wonder if this is really the end of the FASA titles or if those licenses could just be utilized by another internal team at MGS. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 05:02:47 PM »

did the table top take a dive after the whole 3065? revision?  aka the dark ages books?  it seems like the novella series has remained on the rack, but the frequency has dropped significantly. 

i was really hoping for a proper dx10/360 mw game. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »

I'll go ahead and say it.

I liked the Xbox version of Crimson Skies better than the PC version.  I also liked Mechassault much better than Mechwarrior 3 and 4.             paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 05:20:19 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 14, 2007, 05:02:47 PM

did the table top take a dive after the whole 3065? revision?  aka the dark ages books?  it seems like the novella series has remained on the rack, but the frequency has dropped significantly.

It was around the time that WizKids adapted the MW tabletop to the Dark Ages series that the decline in popularity seemed to occur. I'm not sure though if the decline is based on content or competition. WizKids also manufactures HeroClix and the StarWars miniatures series has been phenomenally successful. Many retailers that were hosting MW tournaments have moved on to HeroClix and SW events. I also think a problem MW has is that for kids and teens HeroClix and SW miniatures have far more appeal and they're really the demographic that retailers can profit most from. Now that HaloClix is arriving MW will be even that much less popular.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 13, 2007, 06:05:23 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2007, 04:46:44 PM

Although I liked the PC version a bit better, it wasn't nearly as approachable to Joe gaming public as the XBox version. IIRC you really needed a joystick and needed to have it configured correctly if you wanted to get the most out of the PC version . Not at all a difficult task by todays standards, but made annoyingly difficult at the time by Microsoft's constant bungling of DirectX's input device support.
And the PC version's online multiplay was fairly piss poor in comparison to the Live support featured in the Xbox version.

I played in a competitive league online for the PC version and thought it had excellent MP support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: