http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:35:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FarCry 2...what do I spend diamonds on?  (Read 2879 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:46:06 AM »

Seems diamonds are rare in this game. Ive only got like 26. Ive found maybe 5 suitcases with them. Im thinking I need to be frugal in spending them. What do i spend them on? Weapons are plentiful if junky so do i buy a weapon? The only one Ive bought is a shotgun. Seems a good buy. Do i need skill books? I bought one but didn't see it in the garage. im guessing it applied the +1 to accuracy for me. What else might I spend them on and not waste them?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:48:54 AM »

I could tell you, but instead I'll make you read the impressions thread!

muWUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA!!!  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:01:08 AM »

Im still wondering how to upgrade weapons. I thought it would be like Fallout 3 where I have a junky one and pick up another junky one and combine them for a better one. Seems to not be the case. I got Farcry 2 in a paper sleeve from EVGA because of my video vcard purchase so no manual.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 05:07:54 AM »

You really couldn't have just added this to the impressions thread?

Anyway, not only do the weapons you pick up from enemies tend to jam very often but their armaments remains relatively static for long stretches of the game.  So early on youl should be acquiring much nicer weapons from the dealer than the enemies are using.  Ammo itself, however, is standardized so you can replenish your ammo for that nice Paratrooper assault rifle from an enemy's AK. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:40:39 AM »

No I really dont see a thread asking for tips and info on spending paths has anything to do with impressions.

Frankly I dont see why a thread bothers people so much on these boards. Is it just me and my threads that bother others? Threads or post counts mean nothing to me. Lumping so many differing things in single threads does not seem a good idea to me. These are message boards after all. We could just start a FarCry2 thread and put it all in there or a Fallout 3 thread with it all. But finding specific info would seem to be impossible in a 20+ page thread. smile
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:44:31 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 03, 2009, 05:40:39 AM

No I really dont see a thread asking for tips and info on spending paths has anything to do with impressions.

Frankly I dont see why a thread bothers people so much on these boards. Is it just me and my threads that bother others? Threads or post counts mean nothing to me. Lumping so many differing things in single threads does not seem a good idea to me. These are message boards after all. We could just start a FarCry2 thread and put it all in there or a Fallout 3 thread with it all. But finding specific info would seem to be impossible in a 20+ page thread. smile

Because impressions threads generally quickly change from general impressions and turn into a lot of specifics about strategy and the like (which is the case for Farcy 2, Fallout 3, Persona 4, etc).  It ends up serving as an excellent repository on knowledge for the given game and keeping it all in one thread makes it much simpler for people to find later.  I daresay that anyone starting Farcry 2 now would find a lot of excellent strategy and tips from reading the impressions threads in both the PC and Console gaming forums.  There has already been a fair amount of discussion about good weapons to spend diamonds on and other info in the impressions thread and franklly I am loathe to repeat those tips to someone who isn't willing to can through those threads (and they ain't 20 pages). 
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »

Well i totally disagree. Impressions thread for impressions, hints, tips and advice threads for those things.

I don't want to read through impressions threads full of hints tips and gaming advice, really i want impressions of the game.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 03, 2009, 01:46:06 AM

Seems diamonds are rare in this game. Ive only got like 26. Ive found maybe 5 suitcases with them. Im thinking I need to be frugal in spending them.

Speaking as someone who is almost pathologically frugal about expending rare items in games, I have over 250 unspent diamonds in FarCry 2, so they aren't quite as rare as you might think.  Regular missions pay out pretty well, but if you're looking to make some extra dough, you can access the various cell phone towers dotting the landscape to engage in some profitable side missions.

What do i spend them on? Weapons are plentiful if junky so do i buy a weapon? The only one Ive bought is a shotgun. Seems a good buy.

Any weapons you buy will be forever restocked in the armory next to the arms dealer, and they'll be of *much* higher quality than anything you pick up off of enemies.  Dropped weapons are inaccurate and highly prone to jamming...or, in the case of propelled explosives, misfiring in the most lethal ways.

It's an excellent idea to pursue all the arms dealer missions you possibly can to unlock all the weaponry, and then to spend your loot on a load-out that best fits your style of play.  Since your shotgun is well-suited for close-up encounters, you might want to invest in a secondary or special weapon that can dish out damage against more distant targets.

Do i need skill books? I bought one but didn't see it in the garage. im guessing it applied the +1 to accuracy for me.

Yes, you need skill books, and yes, the benefits are automatically applied.  You'll notice much less recoil and much greater durability for your weapons after you've purchased them.  It's money well spent.

What else might I spend them on and not waste them?

Personally, I've enjoyed the benefits of the camouflage suit and the repair upgrades for the technicals and the gunboats.  The first makes it harder for the enemy to detect you if you're crouching the grass, especially at night, while the next two let you repair those vehicles much, much faster.

-Autistic Angel
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »

Thank you AA. Just what i was needing. Good info and not a non helpful post smile

BTW I read the entire impressions thread and found no info on what i needed.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:48:14 PM »

The game is really conducive to being a sniper.  If you just charge into mission locations or checkpoints and try to play it like an FPS, you'll die.  A lot.  However, if you plink people from afar, and thin the crowd that way, it works great.  Shoot...and move.

I'd seriously think about unlocking the M1903 sniper rifle first, and acquiring perhaps the PKM LMG as the secondary.  Eventually, you'll want to buy the dart rifle (once you've unlocked it)...it's a silent sniper rifle.  Only has 5 shots (at first) but it's pretty awesome.

My favorite loadout on the first map (that means with the weapons you can unlock there by doing the weapons missions) is the Dragunov, Mac 10, and dart rifle.  My preferred loadout on the second map is the AR16 (assault rifle with a scope!), the M79 Grenade launcher, and the dart rifle.  I also run the AS50 (the big sniper rifle), the Uzi, and the dart rifle for long-range encounters.

Though sometimes I take the Autoshotgun as a primary, as in short range it is just deadly...just has no range.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:28:53 PM »

Thanks. i just bought that 1903 sniper rifle. it does make it easier. I climbed a tower at an airport mission and killed about 12 bad guys and barely got hurt. Im also saving up for a good assault rifle. Im not wsure what that PKM is though. Will look next time Im in the shop. Thought about the Spaz9?) shotgun too.

What exactly does the dart gun do? I thought it might tranq them but in multiplayer it doesn't seem to do anything even after hitting a guy 3 times with it.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 03, 2009, 07:28:53 PM

Thanks. i just bought that 1903 sniper rifle. it does make it easier. I climbed a tower at an airport mission and killed about 12 bad guys and barely got hurt. Im also saving up for a good assault rifle. Im not wsure what that PKM is though. Will look next time Im in the shop. Thought about the Spaz9?) shotgun too.

What exactly does the dart gun do? I thought it might tranq them but in multiplayer it doesn't seem to do anything even after hitting a guy 3 times with it.

Well, assault rifles and shotguns (SPAS-12 I think is what you're referring to), occupy the primary weapon slot, as do sniper rifles.  The PKM is a light machinegun...and LMGs and the rocket launchers (RPG and Carl Gustav) take the special slot.

The weapon loadout system is one of the absolute absurdities of Farcry 2.  I can carry a AS50 Sniper Rifle (basically a 12 pound .50 cal sniper rifle), a PKM Light machine gun (which is heavy as hell, with 400 rounds of ammo)...but I can't carry a sniper rifle and an MP5.  It makes no sense whatsoever, just an arbitrary restriction to the game.  Basically, if you want to carry a shotgun or assault rifle and have some sort of sniper gun, you have to carry the dart rifle (takes up the special slot).

As for the dart gun, plain and simple it kills enemies in SP in one hit.  It's supposedly a tranq gun, but the game doesn't model that...it just puts them as dead.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »

Lol sounds fun. I wish there was an easy way to see what wep goes in what slot on the buy screen. Im just guessing at it since I have no manual.

Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »

There should be a PDF of the manual in    C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2

I briefly compared it with the printed manual, and I don't see any difference between the two. The manual isn't much help, but you will pick up a few tips.  This is what it says about weapon slots.

Primary
This category includes all long rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, and certain two-handed assault
weapons. Press the 3 key to equip.
Secondary
This category includes all side-arms, machine-pistols, certain single-handed assault weapons,
and improvised bombs. Press the 2 key to equip.
Special
This category includes all heavy weapons (MG, RPG) and weapons that function on fuel or
reagents. Press the 4 key to equip.

The 1903 rifle is more accurate than the dragunov, but does not have the advantage of rapid fire, so I combined it with the mac 10 for close quarters. Just tap the trigger of the mac 10. It empties the clip very rapidly. The flamethrower is OK for emergencies. When I was able to afford it, I got the PKM LMG in place of the flamethrower.  It's similar to a SAW. 

I bought reliability upgrades for the mac 10 and PKM, but not the accuracy one for them.  I got both accuracy and reliability upgrades for the sniper rifle and the assault rifle. Also, every time I stop in a weapon shop, I grab new weapons all around. I have had no malfunctions with my purchased weapons. 

Interestingly, the MP5 is very accurate over long distances.  I don't think that is the way it works in real life.  IMO, It doesn't help much for stealth.

I appreciate Eightball's comments, and I want to try out the Dart rifle when I can.

As far as diamonds are concerned, I found quite a few on my own, but after I've been in an area for a while, I get tired of looking for them.  Someone in the other thread posted a map of the

briefcase locations.  I printed it out and have it here at my desk. 

Now if I can just get it to run.  It ran fine last night, but I tried to start it today and it won't load.  It starts to load and goes to the screen that looks like the image on the center of the box.  It goes black then, which is normal, but it just stays black.  I tested it and it stayed black for 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:23:37 PM by Kestrel » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »

Improvised bombs? Sounds interesting. Im thinking of upgrading my health pack and grenade pack. I use a lot of health lately.

I have that old guy as a friend. He really likes ambushes..and he really sucks at them. Everytime I get to his ambush I cant find him and theres gunfire all over. Last one I had to kill everyone then I found him half dead behind a tree..with a shotgun...a shotgun for an ambush!? Really? I started to leave him smile

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 12:46:21 AM »

Why is it all the bad guys are using rusty junk weapons? Doesn't anyone use a good weapon in the whole of Africa besides me? And also how come they never jam or anything on the bad guys. they can shoot me all day with one but if I pick it up it jams or explodes on me after 2 shots.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »

Enemy weapons *do* jam when they are firing at you. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 01:56:53 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 04, 2009, 12:46:21 AM

Why is it all the bad guys are using rusty junk weapons? Doesn't anyone use a good weapon in the whole of Africa besides me? And also how come they never jam or anything on the bad guys. they can shoot me all day with one but if I pick it up it jams or explodes on me after 2 shots.

I hid the answer in a post in the old thread.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 03:55:51 AM »

Oh..why do the NPCS talk so dang fast? With their accents I can barely understand some of them and they all talk a mile a minute. I can never even read the text because of their speed talking.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: