http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:19:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Far Cry 4  (Read 2241 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »

You know Ubisoft,they have a hit on their hands so that means yearly instalments from now on

They are getting ready to talk about FC4,no details yet,but if it's this year i would expect it to be the same platforms as AC4,next year maybe just Next Gen consoles...just my guess anyway

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/12/ubisoft-is-getting-ready-to-talk-about-far-cry-4.aspx

With the breakout success of Far Cry 3 and its spin-off Blood Dragon, it should be no surprise that Far Cry 4 is in the works. According to an Ubisoft executive, we'll be hearing about the game sooner rather than later.

In an interview with Gamespot, Ubisoft senior vice president of marketing and sales Tony Key says, "We're totally psyched from [Far Cry 3]. It's a great brand, and now it's got the recognition it deserves, so we're clearly going to make another one: more on that soon."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »

I hate yearly installments in games. It's currently not possible to maintain quality that way as we've seen numerous times with big franchises, so it becomes a very obvious ploy to milk naive customers for money as often as possible. With Ubisoft it becomes a bit worse as well since they actually own a whole lot of great franchises they could be cycling through on a semi-annual basis.

Eh, at least Far Cry 3 was great, and it's always possible that Far Cry 4 is too, though I suspect it'll just feel like more of the same, with way more filler content.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »

I doubt it'll be this year.  if anything we'll probably see a main title one year, and then a Blood Dragon like game the next year.

That said, I'll be less excited if it's another tropical island; take us somewhere else!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »

Yeah, I think if this was going to release this year we would have already seen it announced by E3.  Which is good, because I agree this is not a series that needs to be a yearly series. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 13, 2013, 03:58:43 PM

That said, I'll be less excited if it's another tropical island; take us somewhere else!

Ooh, like maybe a spaceship... with a malfunctioning holodeck trapping you in a tropical island simulator
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 13, 2013, 04:06:13 PM

Ooh, like maybe a spaceship... with a malfunctioning holodeck trapping you in a tropical island simulator

*Fist Shaking* *Fist Shaking* *Fist Shaking*

of course they could make the holodeck randomly switch from a tropical island to an arctic tundra to a desert to a city to a forest.....  imagine it: you're lining up the killing shot on someone in a jungle clearing and then <bzzzt> you're in a public restroom.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 13, 2013, 04:09:19 PM

of course they could make the holodeck randomly switch from a tropical island to an arctic tundra to a desert to a city to a forest.....  imagine it: you're lining up the killing shot on someone in a jungle clearing and then <bzzzt> you're in a public restroom.

I hope they don't do this.   It would be too much like real life

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:49:24 PM »

Far Cry 3 was the first FC game I got to the end,although it only took 30hrs to do EVERYTHING and that includes finding all the relics(except that last one that got shut off),that includes the DLC mission that come with it

for me they did something right if it was the first one I could be bothered carrying on with,even with the powers in instincts predator or predator instincts, I can't remember) I got bored half way through

so yeah,bigger island,more tower thingies,more camps to infiltrate(I really loved that),give us more of a reason to go swimming than just collecting stuff,more vehicles I guess,animals to hunt(again I liked that as there was a purpose to do so)

I think its always the story though that makes things interesting,while the story in FC3 was so-so to decent,the kids in FC3 were all very annoying,the crazy ass bad guy was best part of the cast i thought,i hated him,and I liked hating him and I should hate him

so give us some people we really care about instead of some dickbags,but also give us another asshole like Vaas(don't resurrect Vass though as that would be lazy)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 13, 2013, 04:45:12 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 13, 2013, 04:09:19 PM

I hope they don't do this.   It would be too much like real life

spending a lot of time in a public restroom?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:41:02 PM »

some composer mentions he is working on this.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

Ubisoft's earnings report outs FC4 release window

Far Cry 4 will launch sometime in Ubisoft's current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2015. There's no other details to go on right now, but a previous report said Far Cry 4 will be set in the Himalayas and would feature rideable elephants. It's reportedly in development for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

After enjoying the last few games, I'm pretty much a day one buyer.  Hopefully we'll see something substantial at E3.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »

Now, Sony has some information on it.  

Going to be cross-gen frown and out November 18th  Cabbage Patch

From GT, Ubisoft describes the setting of FC4

Taking a sharp turn away from the lush island jungles of the top-rated Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 is set in Kyrat, an untamed region currently ruled by a despotic self-appointed king. But don't be lulled into a false sense of security by the achingly beautiful views; Kyrat is a wild land full of perils. Once again, players will be able to craft their own stories as they travel through this exotic open world teeming with wildlife – using their wits along with an assortment of powerful weapons and diverse vehicles.

"Following the success of Far Cry 3, we wanted to take the franchise to the next level and create a game that will surprise players and exceed fans' expectations," said Dan Hay, Executive Producer. "Given the unique setting, we feel Far Cry 4 will stand out as a top first-person shooter and we're eager to reveal more about the game in the coming months."P

-edit
updated announcement link to GT
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:42:16 PM by Caine » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

Far Cry 4 - People Seemed to Like Tomb Raider's Setting So Hey, Us Too
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 04:39:34 AM »

Meet the villian

First gameplay

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 15, 2014, 05:34:10 PM

Far Cry 4 - People Seemed to Like Tomb Raider's Setting So Hey, Us Too
Striked me more as pulling from Just Cause 2
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »

Also, really interested to see how  “Keys to Kyrat” works.  The ability to have friends play co-op with you that don't own the game sounds very cool.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »

I'm hoping we get more details on the co-op model.  It probably follows the model in Watch_Dogs where everyone is the main PC in their own, but joins in as one of the other npcs.  It would be awesome if you could change characters and play with the mini-copter in SP though.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »

Co-op sharing details:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-here-s-how-far-cry-4-multiplayer-sharing-works/1100-6420444/

Quote from: Gamespot
In order to share the game, you'll need to be playing it on either PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 and have a PlayStation Plus subscription, Ubisoft has revealed to GameSpot. If you meet those requirements, you'll be given ten invitations that can be sent out to PlayStation Network friends to play "a free trial of online co-op with you.

and this is how Ubisoft describes it:
Quote from: Dan Hay
We're going to be generous. We want you to basically download the game, jump in your buddy's game, play as Hurk, play for a couple hours, run around, experience the entirety of the world, take over some outposts, take over some fortress, understand what it's like to be able to wingsuit, to be able to climb on top of the elephants, to be able to get a whole bunch of new vehicles and weapons, and effectively play the game."

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »

Well this is getting quite good reviews, in stark contrast to Unity. I'm not buying it next week but I may have to pick it up before year end, hopefully on a holiday sale.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 14, 2014, 03:29:31 PM

Well this is getting quite good reviews, in stark contrast to Unity. I'm not buying it next week but I may have to pick it up before year end, hopefully on a holiday sale.

A sale this early? Even with the holiday sale coming up, is that likely? I must be getting old, I am not paying $60 game that is already advertising for it's DLC/season pass. I will wait for it and all it's DLC for half the price.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:21:57 PM by Lee » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 14, 2014, 03:54:30 PM

A sale this early? Even with the holiday sale coming up, is that likely? I must be getting old, I am not paying $60 game that is already advertising for it's DLC/season pass. I will wait for it can it and all it's DLC for half the price.

Not a huge sale, but I would not be surprised by 20-33% off during black friday or Steam/GMG sales.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »

It's 20% off on Green Man Gaming's VIP page and since it's a pre-order you get the Hurk missions and the harpoon gun.

Glad to hear the reviews are good, I've already pre-ordered  Roll Eyes

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »

Kind of a spoiler but...

Apparently you can get an alternate ending in record time if you simply do what you are told.

Seems like a pretty cool Easteregg to throw in the game.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »

I bought a GTX970 and have a code good for either this or Unity.

I think my choice is clear.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 08:08:01 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on November 14, 2014, 07:48:46 PM

I bought a GTX970 and have a code good for either this or Unity.

Wow, nice that they gave you a choice. When I got my GTX 780 I could only get AC4 Black Flag.

Anyone seeing some FC4 PC reviews?

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 08:11:27 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 14, 2014, 08:08:01 PM

Anyone seeing some FC4 PC reviews?

Ubisoft has apparently been deliberately holding back the PC version until Monday. Based upon that information, and judging by the state of the Unity launch, I would stay far away from the PC version until you've read actual reports from people who look specifically at PC versions of games. TotalBiscuit is one such good source. He's the one who's been making the biggest ruckus about the missing PC version, and has told his followers to not buy the game for now.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 14, 2014, 08:11:27 PM

I would stay far away from the PC version until you've read actual reports from people who look specifically at PC versions of games.

OK, I'll throw myself on that grenade, since I've already pre-ordered the PC version. Expect some PC impressions very late Monday night, assuming they unlock at midnight ET like for ACU.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »

Sounds like this game at least wont be quite the mess that Ubi's other title was
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-far-cry-4?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 15, 2014, 03:51:18 PM

There's no doubt that it's running well on PS4. It's the PC version people should wait to buy.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »

About how early does Green Man Gaming release pre-order keys, or does it vary from game to game? I've got Far Cry 4 pre-ordered and I'm trying to figure out when I should be checking for a key to start the pre-loading.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 11:44:02 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 17, 2014, 09:10:51 PM

About how early does Green Man Gaming release pre-order keys, or does it vary from game to game? I've got Far Cry 4 pre-ordered and I'm trying to figure out when I should be checking for a key to start the pre-loading.

I think usually on release day. Was hoping they would have it early for pre-load but it looks like that isn't the case.

I did get the Dragon Age code from them late last week, which was nice since I could pre-load. May depend on which site the codes are for: Origin - early, Steam/Ubi - release day.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 02:13:01 AM »

Just got my Uplay key from Green Man Gaming and started the preload, 30GBs in size. These are filling up my SSD pretty fast... what to delete? Hmm...

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 02:23:31 AM »

And of course there's a day one patch that needs to be applied:

The Far Cry 4 development team has been working very hard in anticipation of launch and will continue to do so in post-launch updates and ongoing support for the game and its community. For the optimal Far Cry 4 experience, we highly recommend you download our “Day 1” patch through Uplay or Steam.

Here is the list of known issues fixed by the Day 1 Patch. Note, the patch for PC users contains a number of additional fixes - these are indicated throughout the notes below.

Stability & Performance

Fixed some random crashes on all game modes

AI

Fixed various edge case animation issues
    Fixed various edge case detection issues
    Fixed missing VO for edge case reaction issues

Matchmaking, Connectivity & Replication

Fixed matchmaking edge case issues
    Fixed host migration random & edge case issues
    Fixed join-in-progress edge case issues
    Fixed various replication issues between host and clients
    Fixed edge case replication issues with systems

Menus and HUD

Fixed various edge case menus and pop-up overlap issues
    Fixed Mission objectives & updates issues
    Fixed Co-op specific pop-up updates issues
    Fixed few localization issues (cut-off text, subtitles)
    Fixed progression displaying 100% too early in progress tab
    Polished tutorial images

Mission Tweaks (Campaign, Co-Op & Side Content)

Fixed various low repro walkthrough breaks

World & 3D

Fixed various texture issues
    Deleted some rare floating objects

Rendering & Graphics Features (PC Only)

Fixed rendering features not available under certain configurations
    Fixed multi-monitor display issues
    Fixed multiple visual artifacts; added SLI support

Inputs & Controls (PC Only)

Fixed mouse cursor and keyboard functionality

In-Game map editor

Fixed some graphical corruptions
    Fixed some edge case issue with maps upload

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 04:49:32 AM »

Mine is downloading now, but probably won't be here in time to play tonight.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 07:18:38 AM »

Loaded and played about an hour. Version in menu says 1.3.0.

I started a campaign with the online option, which turned out to be a bad thing because after about fifteen minutes of cutscenes and some playing, I saw a pop-up that said connection to the online server was lost and it dumped me back to the main menu. Since I hadn't reached a save point I had to restart from the beginning disgust. However, after that I played in off-line mode for about 45 minutes and it's pretty awesome  icon_biggrin

The game really kicks off with a bang, a couple of great cutscenes and then some gameplay inside a building. After that there's some more stuff (no spoilers!) and then you get some time moving about in the outside in what is a tutorial to learn about the interface and how things work. Then you get the notification that the prologue is complete and then you are into the game proper.

With my rig of i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB,  and Win7 64bit, I was able to run close to, but not solidly at 60FPS with the graphics set at Ultra. I went back to Very High and the framerate stays steady at 60 and it still looks great.

If you are familiar with the gameplay of Far Cry 3 you'll find a lot of similarities but there are some differences in the interface, but it's all pretty logical. Some of the changes are to move more items onto the same menu page, so you don't have to flip through so many pages to find something. About the biggest problem I had was switching from Assassin's Creed Unity where the right trigger was part of movement, whereas in Far Cry 4 it shoots away all your ammo icon_eek.

UPDATE: I played about half an hour more, doing a simple "kill the wild animals" mission which again was to get you familiar with more gameplay methods.

If you are familiar with FC3, you'll find that vehicle driving is a bit changed. Now you control via the left joystick only (oops, forgot to say I'm using the X360 controller on my PC, rather than keyboard & mouse) and not additionally with the left and right triggers for brake and accel. That allows you to use the triggers for shooting. Also, there's a autodrive function, sort of an autopilot if you are heading on roads to an objective. This allows you to aim and shoot easier.

Also, there's a return to the Far Cry 2 safe houses, where you can set your watch and sleep till a particular time; no doubt this will be important for planning for night attacks. Stores are handled like in FC3, where your safehouse has an self-service cabinet to buy weapons, sell stuff and refill ammo.

The campaign also feels a bit like Far Cry 2 (this isn't a spoiler, you'll find this info in the in-game manual), in that you'll be able to fulfill missions for two different entities who have differing overall objectives. So apparently at some point you'll have a choice between which campaign mission to continue with, or that's my assumption at least.

Overall it's been an excellent start to the game with no glitches, crashes or weird behavior. The story line so far is pretty straightforward but still very interesting with the usual great Far Cry style of characters.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »

A couple of small things. One, you can alter the driving control scheme in the options to use the "classic" Far Cry 3 scheme with the triggers for accel and brake, so that's cool. Two, when I just started a new session, the online servers weren't available so it loaded my local save which annoyingly lost my video pre-sets. Not a big deal, but I hope this doesn't happen too often.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:35 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 17, 2014, 09:10:51 PM

I know this answer is coming a little late, but keys from Green Man Gaming are *usually* delivered at the same time that you'd get them directly from the publisher.  My keys for Civilization: Beyond Earth and Dragon Age: Inquisition were both available several days prior to release so I had ample time to get them completely preloaded.

There have been rare exceptions where publishers simply didn't provide GMG enough keys to fulfill all of their presales.  It's usually been resolved within a day or two, early enough to complete the preload anyway.

Finally, it isn't uncommon for your key to be available quite a bit before you get the e-mail notification.  If you see reports of other people preloading, log into your GMG account and check the "Games" section of your profile -- you may find your key is there and ready for registration even if you've haven't been e-mailed.

I hope that helps for next time!

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »

Loaded up and played about 3 hours, or enough to clear out the first area.  Wasn't expecting to be gated so soon right off the bat.  Mostly, I went hunting and exploring while upgrading weapons.  Great looking game and a good improvement to FC3.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »

I'm about eight hours in. I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a fan of the series and so making a variation of FC3 was just what I wanted. I'm liking the new gyro-copter; I thought at first it was a bit of a "cheat", you didn't have to walk or drive to get around. However, walking could get tedious in FC3 and driving is risky if there are bad guys around. And since in FC3 you could always Fast Travel between outposts anyway, this just adds a bit of realism since my aim now is to *not* use Fast Travel but instead always move in the game world, even if it is by gyro-copter.

There has been an update to the NVIDIA GeForce Experience and Far Cry 4 is now one of the games that can be optimized. I did so and it did make the game look a bit better, although my frame rate now drops into the forties occasionally, still perfectly acceptable.

Came across my first elephant!

I rode it around and even ran down a couple of bad guys icon_lol. Sadly, elephants cannot negotiate steep slopes crybaby:

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

My PC has a GTX 780 which a few months ago was a pretty decent card, but now... Roll Eyes

I used the NVIDIA GeForce Experience to give me what it considered optimal settings, but after a while I starting seeing more slight stuttering than I wanted, also when the sun was low I wasn't happy with how things looked. Also I wish I could disable the head-bob when I run.

Anyway, these are the current setting I use after some trial and error. I seem to get a pretty consistent 60 FPS as measured by FRAPS and things still look good too:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: