http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3]Far Cry 3 impressions. GT review page 3  (Read 8811 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2013, 03:10:53 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 20, 2012, 01:13:55 PM

Quote from: spigot on December 20, 2012, 12:58:55 PM

Far Cry 3 writer says you don't "get it".

I didn't find the story particularly deep. It was mildly interesting and not even really unique. I guess they were going for a level of sophistication so high that I didn't notice or appreciate the nuance and subtleties of the story. Apparently the game is high art and I'm too much of a boor to "get it".

Interestingly, I *did* get the part that he mentions in that snippet.

Spoiler for Hiden:
At times during the game I wondered if the whole thing was a drug-induced hallucination, or if the player actually was Vaas the whole time but rationalizing his own involvement in his mind.

I just finished the story on this one today and I have to say I agree with those saying the story is weak and the ending has no real payoff.  I expected the same things you mention, Tilt, and the fact that none of if appeared made the whole thing feel shallow. 

I did really enjoy the open world stuff, though.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2013, 04:27:16 AM »

just finished as well.  kind of a thud for the ending (chose 'save').  the rest of the game was great, just sucks that they couldn't stick the landing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2013, 04:27:16 AM

just finished as well.  kind of a thud for the ending (chose 'save').  the rest of the game was great, just sucks that they couldn't stick the landing.

I hope you see the ending for making the other choice
Spoiler for Hiden:
icon_evil drool  bowdown bowdown  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. icon_eek icon_surprised icon_eek icon_surprised icon_eek icon_surprised  Torches and Happiness!retard icon_frown  We put the fun in funeral
Its kinda hard re-enacting the end with smileys

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

Has anyone picked up the Deluxe DLC download pack?  It includes missions, weapons, unique animals to hunt and some other stuff.  It's $10, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Alternately, did anyone buy the deluxe edition?  I think all this stuff was ncluded there as well.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

I bought the digital deluxe edition when it was on sale, and I didn't even realize all the stuff that wasn't in the other game (like the special animals).  The animals and weapons are cool but probably not really worthwhile in my opinion.  The extra missions are OK.  The WW2 ones are some linear cave type missions, but the Hurk ones are outdoors (if I remember the right ones).

I'm not sure it's worth an extra $10, but I did play most of it during my single player playthrough and had fun, fwiw.  I'd say if you're still having fun with the game or want more of it, then it might be worth a look.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 18, 2013, 04:18:49 PM

Has anyone picked up the Deluxe DLC download pack?  It includes missions, weapons, unique animals to hunt and some other stuff.  It's $10, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Alternately, did anyone buy the deluxe edition?  I think all this stuff was ncluded there as well.

Get even more insanity by upgrading your game to the Deluxe Edition with the Far Cry® 3 Deluxe Bundle. Includes six single-player missions, four rare animals to hunt, bow and flare gun unlocks for multiplayer, and all other previously released retail bonuses in The Monkey Business Pack, The Lost Expeditions, The Warrior Pack, and The Predator Pack. Also included in this bundle: the game’s soundtrack and the Survival Guide art book (both delivered in digital format).

2 of the 6 single player missions are the Lost Expedition missions, which, other than some references to other games, were pretty lame.  I cannot see the Predator pack missions being very exciting.  The Warroir pack was a dagger, a tattoo for single player and early access to the tattoo editor for MP.  never heard much about the Monkey Business stuff though, but that would be the remaining 4 single player missions.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »

yeah its all the pre-order DLC
The 4 monkey business missions are miles better than the 2 lost expedition missions

that quote is a little fucked,it makes out you get 6 missions,4 rare animals to hunt,a Bow and a Flare Gun AND all the retail bonuses,when in fact they are all the same thing

Get even more insanity by upgrading your game to the Deluxe Edition with the Far Cry® 3 Deluxe Bundle. Includes six single-player missions, four rare animals to hunt, bow and flare gun unlocks for multiplayer, and all other previously released retail bonuses in The Monkey Business Pack, The Lost Expeditions, The Warrior Pack, and The Predator Pack. Also included in this bundle: the game’s soundtrack and the Survival Guide art book (both delivered in digital format).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:39:23 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »

Played the first co-op map with Kato. Lots of fun! Think it supports up to 4 player co-op which would be great.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2013, 06:16:54 AM »

Co-op has continued to be a blast, loving the MP a LOT more than I expected to do. Lots of nice touches that make it more enjoyable than cod to me.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2013, 07:30:20 AM »

Yeah, I am really looking forward to playing some coop in this for sure. To bad my friends are losers! :icon_lol:Never wanna play coop?!? WTF!?!
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2013, 11:43:13 PM »

What's the consensus on platform for this one?  I will probably get it on 360. Is everyone pretty much playin on PC?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2013, 01:16:11 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 22, 2013, 11:43:13 PM

What's the consensus on platform for this one?  I will probably get it on 360. Is everyone pretty much playin on PC?
I went PC due to the better graphics and mods.  plus, I got it with a video card I was buying. 

make sure to pick it up today if you can jump on it though.  Amazon has a sale on all 3 versions.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »

Playing it on 360 with Kato.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:08 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on January 23, 2013, 02:01:20 AM

Playing it on 360 with Kato.

Haven't touched the MP, but the co-op is really great (with Jarrodhk of course).

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:14 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 23, 2013, 01:16:11 AM

I went PC due to the better graphics and mods. 

I did PC as well for the same reasons.  It ran quite well on my moderate system, which was nice. 

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »

I have a 6year old pc (with a 1year old graphics card), and it runs great, except when the entire island is burning to the ground, which I like to try in pretty much every fight.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 23, 2013, 01:16:11 AM

I went PC due to the better graphics and mods.  plus, I got it with a video card I was buying. 

make sure to pick it up today if you can jump on it though.  Amazon has a sale on all 3 versions.

D'oh! Missed it!  How much was it?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »

Finished. Enjoyed the game immensely. it did get rather easy near the end, but open world games where you can upgrade your skills, weapons and health often have that side-effect. That would actually be my biggest gripe: I played the game on the hardest difficulty, and it wasn't very hard at all. I mean, a silenced sniper rifle is really all you need to clear outposts without alerting anyone. So for me the high point in the game would be the moment that you're still struggling. You only carry 2 weapons, don't have a lot of ammo or health, and suddenly the alarm goes off and a truckload of bad guys arrive. Surviving those moments were pure gaming fun!

I was also rather impressed by the AI actually. The way they run and slide behind cover was very lifelike and immersive. For me a first person shooter is only fun if there's a smart AI playing against you, and this game delivers.

Overall, a fantastic experience.

Now, as to the story...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't think I *get* the story either. I thought it was rather curious that Vaas as well as that doctor that helps you had a scar over their head. I reckoned they could be one and the same person perhaps, but that didn't really manifest in the ending.

Also, the way you kill these important characters, like Vaas and Hoyt, is very abstract. You enter a hallucigenic (is that a word?) state, and when you wake up, they're all dead. You also often escape miracously from Vaas who tries to burn you, drown you, shoot you and stab you.

I think if they tried to make this into a don't-believe-everything-you-see story, they should have done a bit more than use hallucinations and inexplicable facts. Cause right now, I don't get it, other than to take it literal.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:36:37 AM by The Rocketman » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2013, 06:28:59 AM »

Still loving this, just been busy and sidetracked with other games!!!ADD.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

Late to the game as I try to wait for sales on these games.  I also had a horrendous experience with Ubisoft's lamentable and infuriating Uplay client.  I had actually sworn off all future ubisoft games at one point, i was so mad.

However, after seeing Far Cry 3 for less than 20 bucks recently, I bit. 

And I have to say, so far this game is like crack for me.  They grabbed all the stuff from the Assassin's Creed series that keeps me playing (radio towers = vantage points, crafting and the fog of war on areas you haven't opened up yet via radio towers), kept the gun play and added in a hunting game that makes me actually like searching for that rare, white bellied tapir for a half hour while crouched in the brush.

I can't stop playing this damn game.  Who knew this would be my main contender for GOTY (although technically for 2012, I guess).

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: