http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:43:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3]Far Cry 3 impressions. GT review page 3  (Read 7845 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on December 13, 2012, 04:40:11 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 13, 2012, 07:27:54 AM

my only complaint is that the enemy AI seems a bit dumb while also a bit too aware:  for example, I can go near an outpost and pick off the enemy one by one with a silenced rifle yet they will not sound the alarm when their buddy gets his head blown off in front of him but they also seem to realize where you are sniping from very quickly.

I rationalize their behavior by assuming that they don't sound the alarm unless they decide that someone is trying to break into the outpost.

I guess, but you'd think that them dying one by one from lead poisoning would qualify as someone probably trying to break in  icon_lol

last night I managed to craft everything available.  the nice thing about the Hunter missions is while they may require a specific weapon it is only that weapon type.  after getting the mission I always grab the best version of the required weapon; extended clips come in handy for the big beasties.  one thing that might have been cool for them to put in is bait for animals, it seemed like most hunting missions were just me running in and blasting the animal.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »

One of the things I agree with in Yahtzee's review is that it's cool that you can level all the way up half way through the game and be able to use all the cool skills and tools in the second half, rather than getting the last few abilities just before the end. I'm at 55% complete, all the outposts taken on the first island and I've crafted everything, so now I'm going around doing the side missions and the Hurk ones, besides hunting for relics and loot chests.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »

I'm about halfway through the game now and just started knocking out the Path of the Hunter missions to try to max out my gear. I'm also going around the top half of the island taking over the outposts I missed. Still having a lot of fun with it.

Although, how the hell do you kill a tiger with normal arrows? In the PoTH mission for that I'm almost always cat food. Either I find the special one I need to kill and end up running for my life from it, or I sneak around and piss off a random non-target one that sends me running for my life.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »

If you haven't unlocked it yet, there's a hunting syringe that you can create that boosts your damage.  Helps a lot with things like that.  Have you boosted your max health?
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »

Makes sense. Honestly I haven't really used any of the syringes, but from the sounds of it, it should help a lot.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

Juicing always works!  Tongue

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2012, 02:35:09 AM »

On both that and the shark hunt, kill the pack first.  You can use the big guns on them.  Just make sure to tag them all first.  Also, you don't need to chase them.  The rare tiger actually roams back into range fairly often.

Just did the last big mission on the first island and it was a trip. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2012, 03:16:53 AM »

So I'm at the recently captured Tequila Sunrise outpost. I step out of the safe house and am standing on the dock when suddenly ROAR ROAR and there are these red scratch marks across the screen and my health jumps down. I spin around but there is... nothing there. ninja

And so I heal myself and then.... ROAR ROAR and more red marks and I'm jumping out of my chair. WTF!!! I have Jason hop up the ramp and he looks around and then down and damn, there is a tiger under the dock and his claws are coming up between the planks and he was clawing me from down there.

HOLY CRAP!! I put a few shotgun blasts into the dock and then go back inside the safe house to see if the self-service machine sells underwear nod

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2012, 05:09:46 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 14, 2012, 02:35:09 AM

On both that and the shark hunt, kill the pack first.  You can use the big guns on them.  Just make sure to tag them all first.  Also, you don't need to chase them.  The rare tiger actually roams back into range fairly often.

also remember you can also kill the target with your melee weapon, and there is at least one knife upgrade that you can get by finding collectibles.  I had a thought about the hunting missions but I don't have any currently available to try:  it says you must kill the target with a specific weapon, but what if you soften them up with another one before taking the kill shot with the required one?

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2012, 06:17:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2012, 05:09:46 AM

Quote from: Caine on December 14, 2012, 02:35:09 AM

also remember you can also kill the target with your melee weapon, and there is at least one knife upgrade that you can get by finding collectibles.  I had a thought about the hunting missions but I don't have any currently available to try:  it says you must kill the target with a specific weapon, but what if you soften them up with another one before taking the kill shot with the required one?

I tried that and I'm pretty sure that the beast was only wounded.  I got a warning message about using the right weapon. Then the game  reloaded to the last checkpoint.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »

This game, so far, has really sunk it's teeth in me. Absolutely loving it! Gonna try and sneak in another hr or two before bed. I am addicted!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »

Every tiger I see I name Richard Parker.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2012, 07:05:42 AM »

I'm starting to go through a paint/ recarpet the place thing and working again! This is the only game I need right now;). I'm assuming 90% of gaming time is dedicated to this for a while. nod

So a quick question or two. Should I worry about, in general, playing all the side missions first then the story ones. I don't need a 100% completion, but I'd like to take in alot of the game. So, missing something is fine, missing alot is not what I want out of the game. How many "main missions" are there? How many hrs are there in "following the path" versus exploring the hell out of the game? Which I LOVE. I just want to enjoy it  instead of , "I see a plant, I must go harvest it!" While still seeing alot.

Any comments on my ( once I reviewed it ) OCD gaming post? paranoid
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2012, 03:02:16 PM »

Well, I finished the game this past weekend. Did all the outposts and radio towers, but not all the wanted and "path of the hunter" side missions. I largely skipped the side missions, racing and supply drop missions as well. All in all I really enjoyed the experience. I found the pacing of the story to be about right even though the narrative itself was a bit hollow and middling near the end. Exploring the island was actually kind of relaxing and a good break between story missions.

I liked how they integrated the hunting and crafting activities into tangible gameplay benefits instead of being there for the sake of being there (I'm looking at you AC3). Curiously I didn't see a game clock in any of the menus but I approximate putting about 20 hours into the story. Didn't do any of the co-op or multi. The endings were somewhat disappointing, both in a good way and a bad way. Although one of the endings could have given the player more ...ahem... manual user control (perhaps utilizing up-down action on the left stick and finishing with the right trigger) ninja.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:10:49 PM by spigot » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »

Quote from: spigot on December 17, 2012, 03:02:16 PM

Well, I finished the game this past weekend. Did all the outposts and radio towers, but not all the wanted and "path of the hunter" side missions. I largely skipped the side missions, racing and supply drop missions as well.

I plan on doing all the outposts, towers and side missions (even got a recipe from one of these!).  I did the others up to the point where there is no longer any benefit beyond XP gain, and I'll probably only bother with any new Hunter missions if there are new items to craft, but from what I here there are only syringe recipes left to find at the point I am in the game.

I do have to take off points for the cheap indestructible enemy behind the door scene.  I even fragged the area due to another beastie being loose there, and as soon as I stepped into the room to skin the tiger the game was like 'surprise!'.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »

fwiw-the supply drop missions(racing to get first aid to a location)are ridiculously easy,and they take all of a minute each to do

Path of the Hunter missions were also pretty easy as they show a shaded area on the map where your prey is,i quite enjoyed those

The side missions(story missions i think they are called in the list)-were so-so,i think the only one i had problems on was the one where i had to play poker to get this guys necklace back(or something like that),you had to beat 3 guys,i don't actually know how to play Poker,so it was a long side mission for me

The wanted missions,just go to the location,keep your distance and snipe all the targets followers who are with him,and then go in and knife the target..again very easy

the only side missions that are really a bit of a pain is the collecting of relics,and they are shown right there on the map(some can be a pain to get to)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 18, 2012, 02:21:53 PM

The side missions(story missions i think they are called in the list)-were so-so,i think the only one i had problems on was the one where i had to play poker to get this guys necklace back(or something like that),you had to beat 3 guys,i don't actually know how to play Poker,so it was a long side mission for me

I'll probably skip that one since I never bother with card mini-games if I don't have to, plus I have 4 guns so I shouldn't have to do anything other than shoot them to get the necklace back.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »

fwiw-the supply drop missions(racing to get first aid to a location)are ridiculously easy,and they take all of a minute each to do

Path of the Hunter missions were also pretty easy as they show a shaded area on the map where your prey is,i quite enjoyed those

The wanted missions,just go to the location,keep your distance and snipe all the targets followers who are with him,and then go in and knife the target..again very easy

the only side missions that are really a bit of a pain is the collecting of relics,and they are shown right there on the map(some can be a pain to get to)

I never bother with races in these sandbox games, but I have been doing all of the supply drop missions.  They are fun and easy, as mo says.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »

I've been making my own fun with those wanted missions. Try and just knife the target without hurting anyone else and without being detected. Just use the bow & arrow, just use a pistol, whatever.

I don't suppose there's a NewGame+ option?  Taking over outposts is the funnest part of the game, and it'd be fun to start over again and do nothing but outposts with all the toys and abilities unlocked.
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »

I agree. Once I had the most powerful silenced sniper rifle with the best scope along with the bow, stalking and taking outposts became hugely fun.

In the weapons vending machines though where did the "Signature" weapons category come from? I had a silenced and scoped pistol, a clapped-out SMG and an auto-shotty (I think) listed there. I don't remember how or where I got these. Random loot pickups? Doled out at story points?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:20:46 PM by spigot » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 18, 2012, 07:54:37 PM

I've been making my own fun with those wanted missions. Try and just knife the target without hurting anyone else and without being detected. Just use the bow & arrow, just use a pistol, whatever.

I don't suppose there's a NewGame+ option?  Taking over outposts is the funnest part of the game, and it'd be fun to start over again and do nothing but outposts with all the toys and abilities unlocked.

I've been trying my new takedowns.  I love grabbing a guy nearby and then doing the knife throw to kill the target.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »

Quote from: spigot on December 18, 2012, 09:15:15 PM

I agree. Once I had the most powerful silenced sniper rifle with the best scope along with the bow, stalking and taking outposts became hugely fun.

In the weapons vending machines though where did the "Signature" weapons category come from? I had a silenced and scoped pistol, a clapped-out SMG and an auto-shotty (I think) listed there. I don't remember how or where I got these. Random loot pickups? Doled out at story points?

Signature weapons are the rewards you get at certain progression points in the game, such as after a set amount of relics found, or a certain amount of outposts being captured. You can see when you'll get these weapons in the menus.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 18, 2012, 09:23:29 PM

Signature weapons are the rewards you get at certain progression points in the game, such as after a set amount of relics found, or a certain amount of outposts being captured. You can see when you'll get these weapons in the menus.

I can't remember now, do signature weapons go free/discounted at any point, or do you pay for them?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 18, 2012, 09:45:09 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 18, 2012, 09:23:29 PM

I can't remember now, do signature weapons go free/discounted at any point, or do you pay for them?
you pay for them.  they're kinda pricey and I haven't seen anything listed that beats my current customized loadout.

Because I can,
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »

They need a signature weapon that fires predators out at your enemies. You can change ammo types like tigers, leopards, bears, cassowarry, a pack of wild dogs, etc. You're an inked up spiritual Rakyat warrior, it would've been cool to summon animals to help you.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:59:05 PM by spigot » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 18, 2012, 09:48:34 PM

you pay for them.  they're kinda pricey and I haven't seen anything listed that beats my current customized loadout.

While pricey, I found myself knee deep in money, often maxing out my $10,000 wallet until I was able to unlock the second island and spend the money on maps.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2012, 02:38:15 AM »

played through the Lost Expedition missions.  glad they were free as they didn't add anything except a bunch of references to other games.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 19, 2012, 02:38:15 AM

played through the Lost Expedition missions.  glad they were free as they didn't add anything except a bunch of references to other games.

yup,the Monkey Business pre-order DLC missions were much better

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2012, 01:55:27 AM »

check this out,it's pretty cool

Eurogamer

Guy creates classic maps using the Far Cry 3 map editor

we got Wake Island,Noshahr from Battlefield,Nuke City from Black Ops,Dust and Aztec from Counter-Strike

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2012, 04:58:00 AM »

just noticed the time played listed on the load screen from the main menu and damn, I've got nearly 20 hours in and I haven't even made it to the second island yet.

Because I can,
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »

Far Cry 3 writer says you don't "get it".

I didn't find the story particularly deep. It was mildly interesting and not even really unique. I guess they were going for a level of sophistication so high that I didn't notice or appreciate the nuance and subtleties of the story. Apparently the game is high art and I'm too much of a boor to "get it".
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:00:45 PM by spigot » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

Quote from: spigot on December 20, 2012, 12:58:55 PM

I didn't find the story particularly deep. It was mildly interesting and not even really unique. I guess they were going for a level of sophistication so high that I didn't notice or appreciate the nuance and subtleties of the story. Apparently the game is high art and I'm too much of a boor to "get it".

Interestingly, I *did* get the part that he mentions in that snippet.

Spoiler for Hiden:
At times during the game I wondered if the whole thing was a drug-induced hallucination, or if the player actually was Vaas the whole time but rationalizing his own involvement in his mind.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »

Quote from: spigot on December 20, 2012, 12:58:55 PM

I read that article yesterday (barring the spoiler section), and this morning I still think the writer's an asshole.  If something didn't work, don't blame the audience.  Never blame the audience.  If everyone missed what you were going for, then you failed in what you set out to do (unless you set out to make it so that everyone missed your brilliant subtlety).  Next time, try a different approach.

EDIT:  You know what?  Fuck that guy.  He has affected my enjoyment of th game.  Now I'm constantly listening to things that are being said or seeing the way things are done in the game and trying to find whatever the hell he is talking about.  Since it's not there, I now just find myself rolling my eyes and being irritated by his ineptitude and angered that he's dumped it on me as a player.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 04:14:08 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »

found this humorously true:

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2012, 06:37:57 AM »

So, I just did the first outpost and I'm trying to enter a vehicle to get to my next waypoint, I hit E (PC) to enter the car I hear the car start up and then it forces me to exit the vehicle.  What am I doing wrong?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »

Quote from: naednek on December 31, 2012, 06:37:57 AM

So, I just did the first outpost and I'm trying to enter a vehicle to get to my next waypoint, I hit E (PC) to enter the car I hear the car start up and then it forces me to exit the vehicle.  What am I doing wrong?

I assuming its a pc bug cuz on ps3 I haven't witnessed this. You're not holding down E, are you?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on December 31, 2012, 06:48:47 AM

I assuming its a pc bug cuz on ps3 I haven't witnessed this. You're not holding down E, are you?

It says to hold E....  I've tried both

And shortly after my last post it worked out of the blue.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »

Quote from: naednek on December 31, 2012, 05:48:37 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on December 31, 2012, 06:48:47 AM

It says to hold E....  I've tried both

And shortly after my last post it worked out of the blue.

Welcome to FC3, the buggiest fun game I've ever played.

I'd also recommend you turn uPlay to OFFLINE mode before it causes you to rage.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:13 AM »

Gah. The bugs in this game and the clipping are driving me crazy. But using a mounted gun to hunt deer is hilarious. It may be a glitchy mess, but Far Cry 3 is so damn fun.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »

Yea it's not perfect on ps3, but so damn fun it's rediculous!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: