http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:24:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3]Far Cry 3 impressions. GT review page 3  (Read 10307 times)
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 05:44:48 AM »

Played about 3 hours tonight and the game is pretty awesome.  I have the PC version and they still need to optimize Directx 11 for Nvidia cards with  the new patch and drivers I still can't max out the graphics and keep 60fps, it still looks great though.   The cutscenes and characters are great and the story has been pretty good so far.   I like the cover and stealth system as you do have time to get away before someone comes after you.  They do need to patch out the HUD as it does take out some of the immersion, they also need to move it down and to the left some it's almost like they placed it for a letterbox screen.  Also they do show you everything on the map once you get to the top of the tower, I wish you could turn that off too as that diminishes some of the exploration.   

I'm playing with a controller and it works well, but the goats and pigs are hard to hit.  Hunting has been fun and when you first encounter a tiger you get a little nervous.  You will be skinning a lot of animals so you can upgrade your items, but you have to be careful cause it can draw attention from the rebels.  There is just so much to do that it should keep me playing for a long time. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 05:58:57 AM »

Quote from: shon on November 29, 2012, 05:44:48 AM

Played about 3 hours tonight and the game is pretty awesome.  I have the PC version

Would you mind listing your PC specs?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

How are people playing this already?  Isn't it out Dec 5th or something?
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 29, 2012, 06:20:12 PM

Australia was today (tromorrow there) EU is tomorrow (Friday) Also Blackbeard has got his copy.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on November 29, 2012, 06:36:03 PM

Australia was today (tromorrow there) EU is tomorrow (Friday) Also Blackbeard has got his copy.

Anyone try using a VM host in Australia to get it to activate in North America or does that trick not work any more for Steam games?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »

for those looking for a deal on the PC download versions: 20% off via Gamefly.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 29, 2012, 08:43:09 PM

for those looking for a deal on the PC download versions: 20% off via Gamefly.

This is the best deal for those of us in NA afaik.  Gmg had a better deal for europe a while back. 

I've got a copy coming with the 7850 card I picked up on BF.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 11:55:11 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 29, 2012, 07:12:51 PM

Anyone try using a VM host in Australia to get it to activate in North America or does that trick not work any more for Steam games?

That's what I did, I live in Arkansas and it worked without any problems.  I did have to pay $2 for the VPN service, I thought about using a free version, but decided against it.

PC Specs
i5-2500K
8G Ram
Geforce GTX 580 3G version
Win 7 64bit
SSD Drive
1920x1080 on my TV

If I want to run constant 60fps then I have to use Directx9.  I'm still tweaking but with Dx11 I'm getting around 45-50 fps on very high which isn't that bad.  I've read some other things to tweak so I'll post the results later. 

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 04:41:27 AM »

I'm working through a review myself and I can back the reviews - it's a solid sandbox title.   I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  smile    I can say no more....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 04:47:14 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 30, 2012, 04:41:27 AM

it's a solid sandbox title.

Most excellent news! I need something to get me through the holidays slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 05:53:39 AM »

From what I've read the campaign is lacking but the sandbox aspect - hunting, taking checkpoints, etc. is the highlight.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »

I've played about an hour of this, and wow - This is Skyrim with guns, but in a very very good way! Things seems to just work and systems are complimenting each other, and not just fillers like in AC3.

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »

Picked this up for £24 on GMG just past midnight today had a 30% off code.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on November 30, 2012, 09:55:20 AM

Picked this up for £24 on GMG just past midnight today had a 30% off code.

saywhat

I just got charged 60 bastard notes from GAME,although it was the Insane edition

got me a Vaas Bobblehead anyway icon_biggrin

I am gonna have to check out that Green Man Gaming some time,been hearing good things about it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »

I seem to be having horrible luck with recent Ubisoft games. I just tried this via Steam, had to wait for ages at the main menu because the game couldn't contact the Ubisoft servers, and whenever I hit Esc to go to the main menu during the game (prompting it to once again look for the non-existent Ubisoft servers), I'd be teleported way, way, WAY outside of the map, leaving my game unplayable. If I can't even pause the game, it's just not possible for me to play it.

Does Ubisoft even know what QA means?

Edit: While I haven't tried it, putting UPlay in offline mode should solve the problem according to others. It's a good thing their copy protection works flawlessly, right?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:01:15 AM by TiLT » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »

yeah the Far Cry facebook just had this to say

We’re very sorry for the server issues affecting Far Cry 3 on PC and are working as fast as possible to restore the service.

And it seems some PS3 users are getting stuck on the loading screen(infinity loading screen?)..not sure if that is a similar problem to PC

I loaded my game,but it did take ages after you press start,but it loaded eventually

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »

I hesitate to say this, but once again, the pirates win regarding Ubisofts Copy Protection. Its amazing they don't learn.

A new one
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 30, 2012, 10:59:28 AM

Edit: While I haven't tried it, putting UPlay in offline mode should solve the problem according to others. It's a good thing their copy protection works flawlessly, right?
That's worked for me.  UPlay is awful.  If it's in online mode, almost all of their games will check back through UPlay to their servers, and if the servers are getting hammered, the game either won't run, or it will be choppy as hell.  I'll let their games connect through UPlay when I launch them, and then unplug my ethernet cable while I'm playing.  UPlay is at its worst when a big game is released, or when they have a lot of games selling through Steam seasonal sales.   
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 30, 2012, 08:00:49 AM

This is Skyrim with guns,

So it's Fallout 3?
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »

Quote from: shon on November 29, 2012, 11:55:11 PM

How are people playing this already?  Isn't it out Dec 5th or something?

That's what I did, I live in Arkansas and it worked without any problems.  I did have to pay $2 for the VPN service, I thought about using a free version, but decided against it.

Worked like a charm (German VPN).  I only played about 30 mins but the intro was pretty awesome.

I'm going exploring in the jungles of Costa Rica in a week so this should be the perfect game to play after I get back smile
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:51:15 PM by skystride » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2012, 05:02:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 30, 2012, 04:43:23 PM

So it's Fallout 3?

It's not even remotely close to either. Just because a game has XP and is open world doesn't make it Skyrim or Fallout. The game Far Cry 3 resembles the most so far (about 2-3 hours in) is Far Cry 2.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 30, 2012, 04:48:58 PM

Quote from: shon on November 29, 2012, 11:55:11 PM

How are people playing this already?  Isn't it out Dec 5th or something?

That's what I did, I live in Arkansas and it worked without any problems.  I did have to pay $2 for the VPN service, I thought about using a free version, but decided against it.

Worked like a charm (German VPN).  I only played about 30 mins but the intro was pretty awesome.

I'm going exploring in the jungles of Costa Rica in a week so this should be the perfect game to play after I get back smile

I pre-loaded it on Steam... How would I go from there to playing assuming I had a VPN service?  Is BT Guard a form of VPN?  (Ok, how do I go about getting one, or is that not a topic meant for here...?)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on November 30, 2012, 05:13:52 PM

I pre-loaded it on Steam... How would I go from there to playing assuming I had a VPN service?  Is BT Guard a form of VPN?  (Ok, how do I go about getting one, or is that not a topic meant for here...?)

There's lots of options but I used Cyber Ghost (google it, it's free).  I had used this over a year ago to unlock some game and surprisingly I still had an active account, just needed to reset my password.  You install the app, hit connect, start Steam and you're good to go.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »

Does anyone know what real world location the island is based on (probably very loosely)?  30 minutes of play is not enough time for me to figure it out but I grew up in Borneo and I recognized some of the words they were speaking, it's Malay (spoken in Malaysia, Indonesia).  I read there are tigers so I'm thinking it's Sumatra (Indonesia).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 30, 2012, 05:02:20 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 30, 2012, 04:43:23 PM

So it's Fallout 3?

It's not even remotely close to either. Just because a game has XP and is open world doesn't make it Skyrim or Fallout. The game Far Cry 3 resembles the most so far (about 2-3 hours in) is Far Cry 2.

so it's more like a Fallout 3 mod for Far Cry 2? biggrin

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »

anyone get the deluxe/insane/supersized version?  are the extras worth it?

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 30, 2012, 06:03:22 PM

Does anyone know what real world location the island is based on (probably very loosely)?  30 minutes of play is not enough time for me to figure it out but I grew up in Borneo and I recognized some of the words they were speaking, it's Malay (spoken in Malaysia, Indonesia).  I read there are tigers so I'm thinking it's Sumatra (Indonesia).

Supposed to be a archipelago near Thailand... I think I read that somewhere

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 30, 2012, 06:18:35 PM

anyone get the deluxe/insane/supersized version?  are the extras worth it?

Yeah i got it,you get a Bobblehead Vaas,a fabric type pouch that you can fit the game case in,a survival guide(which is a book with all the plants and predators etc listed and described)

and then the 5 lots of DLC (1 code)
-Monkey Business
(single player) Play 4 unique missions with Hurk,A new Memorable Character(doesn't say anything else about this)
(Multiplayer) 2 exclusive End-Of-Match sequences

-The Lost Expeditions
(Single Player) Play 2 Exclusive Extra Missions including 40 additional minutes of gameplay,Discover the forgotten World War II ruins of the island
(Multiplayer) Type 10 Japanese World War II Flare Gun

-The Warrior Pack
(single player) 2 Exclusive Tribal Tattoos and A Handcrafted Dagger
(Multiplayer) Early Access to the Tattoo Editor

-The Hunter Pack
(Single Player) 1 Fully equipped M700 Hunting Rifle and 3 Collector's Hunting Skins

-The Predator Pack
(Single Player)Exclusive Rare predators(Black Panther,White Tiger,Thylacine,Red Vulture) and Predator Bow

Is it all worth it?

Well i am only about 4-5hrs in,and mainly been sticking to the story for now(and radio towers and outposts),so couldn't tell you at the moment,sounds like a decent haul though

The two missions you get with the Lost Expeditions DLC,are called forgotten experiment and ignition in the deep and show some kind of jungle overgrown lab,so they could be pretty cool

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »

thanks MO, I was more wondering what the DLC was like in game.  doubt I'm going to touch MP much, so I'm thinking that I'll probably just get the regular PC digital edition.  I'll get the Lost Expeditions with it because that's a pre-order bonus, but the only other thing that sounds interesting is the Monkey pack, but not 7 bucks interesting.

Because I can,
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 30, 2012, 05:50:47 PM

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on November 30, 2012, 05:13:52 PM

There's lots of options but I used Cyber Ghost (google it, it's free).  I had used this over a year ago to unlock some game and surprisingly I still had an active account, just needed to reset my password.  You install the app, hit connect, start Steam and you're good to go.

Thanks - worked like a charm! 

I had pre-ordered the CE on Steam and so far cannot tell how worth it it was for in game content.  However the Survival Guide pdf is very cool - i put it on my ipad and it looks great. 

The game itself is fun - one of the first games I've ever played that made me fear heights... Climbing those rickety towers is more tense than i would have thought!  Walking around is also tense due to animals lurking about.  Crossing roads can be nerve wracking as enemies seem to drive by almost every time I step out onto the road.  One time I dove into the bushes (only 3 bullets to my name at the time) as a car approached.  But this time it was the good guys... I stepped out of the bushes very embarrassed...

Saving stinks for an open world, exploration based game.  I saved each time I silently took out guards around an enemy base only to die but I was teleported back to the starting village!  This game needs a quick save.

Only other complaint is the UI, as mentioned many times across the internet.  Stop sending me reminders to go see Dr. Whoever!  I'm trying to sneak up behind a bad guy, no bullets left to my name, and suddenly it's like Jimmeny  Cricket is on my shoulder telling me what to do.  Hopefully mods will come out taking care of all the pop-ups, etc.

Otherwise the game is very fun and immersive.  When I finished my session last night, it told me I played for over 4 hours.  Looking forward to the next session.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012, 07:12:18 AM »

I've played 19 hours so far according to Steam, though it seems to count the time UPlay has been up instead of the game itself, so it may be too high. This game has that "one more turn" effect on me, making it hard to put down. I always keep saying "I'll just head to that next checkpoint" or "I'll just watch that next cutscene" or "I'll just climb that tower", and suddenly another hour has passed.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

yeah that was like me last night

I have just under 18hrs in

I wanted to get to the next Island,but it gives you a warning that you can't get there while the story is fixed on the first island which pissed me off but every open world does it,so that made me power through the story to get to the other island and i didn't really want to do that

Anyway,i got to the second island and continued with my explorations(done all the radio towers and outposts now)and the story i will get back to when i have done the side stuff(that's just how i like to play these open world games)

Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »

I haven't touched a story mission yet... I've spent most of my time hunting to make containers.  This way I will have more weapon choices and more storage for loot.  I hope this doesn't make the game, especially the earlier missions too easy.  I might have to bump up the difficulty if that's the case.  But it was too annoying to keep running out of room for loot and ammo, so I had to get those containers!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »

Are there any problems with the 360 version and the Uplay servers like they had with the PC servers?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on December 03, 2012, 04:19:22 PM

Are there any problems with the 360 version and the Uplay servers like they had with the PC servers?

Not that i can tell

I just went on Uplay actually and with my Uplay rewards from FC3 i unlocked an exclusive mission(Test Subject or something,not played it yet)

The Monkey Business Pre-order DLC missions(4 of) were quite good

The Lost Expeditions Pre-Order DLC missions(2 of)not that great(escape from a crumbling temple in 10 minutes)

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »

Interesting article on Kotaku: Why Ubisoft’s Two Big Holiday Games Are Better On PC (Hint: It’s Not Uplay)

It's about AC3 as well as FC3, but the FC3 comments regarding UPlay and Steam are revealing:

The only downside to both of these games, then, is that they require the use of Ubisoft's "Uplay" game portal, which is basically Ubisoft's answer to Valve's Steam service. You can still buy the game through Steam, but then you'll have to launch it from Steam, which will open Uplay and you'll have to launch the game again from there. Two types of DRM for the price of one! Or, as is doubtless Ubisoft's plan, you can just buy the game direct from them and bypass Steam entirely.

Uplay is a nuisance, inferior to Steam in every way. It's a pain to examine a game's achievements, I can find no way to track my playtime, and since no one is using the service, it's very difficult to tell which of my friends is playing the game. I've already spent so much time accumulating Steam and Xbox LIVE friends; must I really do this all over again for Uplay? The user-interface is a bummer, and it takes far too many clicks to get to a game. Worst of all, there doesn't appear to be a way to put a shortcut to a game on my sidebar; the shortcut I have just brings up Uplay, where I have to click "play" one more time to launch the game. In the case of Assassin's Creed III, that brings up yet another menu where I choose between single- and multiplayer. Three clicks may not sound like a lot, but in this day and age, it feels like two too many.

And another:

That said, an annoying game portal is merely a portal, and both games are very strong on PC. And hey, at least there really isn't any sort of always-on DRM. If you're considering which version of Assassin's Creed III and Far Cry 3 to pick up, go with the PC. As is usually the case, you'll get more or less the same core game on consoles. But, particularly with Far Cry 3, the PC is the only platform that feels powerful enough to really manhandle these outsized, ambitious games, which makes for a noticeably more enjoyable overall experience.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2012, 05:12:52 PM »

Picked up my 360 copy from Gamestop a little while ago, installing now. Gamestop perks were the "Four Missions Hosted by Hurk" and a physical paper hunting guide, which is a nice touch.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »

Still awaiting Steam to unlock it (don't want to do the VPN thing), seems pretty late in the day but maybe Steam does this for most games on release.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »

I just have two more achievements to get for the single player portion

Still not sure if i will go for the 6 remaining Co-Op achievements

I have been playing this game and getting frustrated now and then at getting killed at dumb moments,I jumped on top of a little hut to collect a loot box and then dropped down and even though i was full health,i died..it's happened in other situations as well,dropping down the side of a mountain ledges or even over a fence i lose health
(Hint: So be prepared to lose health or maybe even die when dropping 3 ft  finger )

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »

not that it would of changed my platform preference but Ubisoft have just announced that two exclusive DLC Co-Op missions will be available for the PS3 come January

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-04-far-cry-3-high-tides-co-op-dlc-exclusive-to-ps3

PS3-exclusive Far Cry 3 DLC has just been announced. It's co-op themed and known as High Tides. It's due in January.

High Tides contains two new co-op chapters: Jailbreak and Redemption. They pick up where the original six co-op chapters left off.

"We've got new missions, tougher fights, bigger competitions, some great up-close time with your favourite characters, and explosive moments unlike anything you've seen before," wrote Meghan Watt from Massive Entertainment (the studio that handled Far Cry 3 online) on the US PlayStation blog.

There's no word on what this means for owners of Far Cry 3 on Xbox 360. Will they get something similar? High Tides is billed as a console exclusive on PS so it may come to PC as well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: