http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:15:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3]Far Cry 3 impressions. GT review page 3  (Read 9040 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »

Kotaku (i know, i know) has forwarded on a comment by one of the guys behind fc2 that #3 is 'looking pretty exciting'.  of course, in typical rumor mill style, no details were given at all.  

so, this begs the question, what would you like to see in fc3?  where should it be set?  given that the end of fc2
Spoiler for Hiden:
kills off every single named mercenary and the jackal, it means it's unlikely to have anything to do with fc2, unless they re-write some of it.

personally, i would love to have some form of aircraft to fly around in, even an ultralight.  expand the setting so we get more than jungle and desert and make it so more than just the grass and trees catch fire.  hell, let the buildings burn and collapse, and stay persistent.  make the night time a dangerous time to be outside and have wildlife that can and will hunt you down.  have more than just enemies in the world and implement some form of mercenaries' disguises so you can actually drive around without being everybody's target.  or working factions at the least.  as for setting, how about eastern europe, possibly a similar state to boznia, with the threat of usa/russian involvement.  or maybe indonesia.  as for the weapons, let us mod them somehow.  

oh, and dump the malaria angle.  that was interesting, but annoying.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:48:20 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »

I want it to be a bit more linear, I got tired of having to travel so far to do anything.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »

If they got rid of the buddy system I wouldn't mss it.  A better faction system where it matters who you do missions for would rock.  More fast ravel options, maybe a helo ride to any spot on the map and the ability to call for a pickup; make it cost money and weather dependent.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:15:58 PM »

Get rid of the respawning outposts and I will probably not hate it with the fire of a thousand suns like I did FC2.

Also, an actual story/narrative and not-horrible voice acting would also be nice.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »

Quote from: Koz on November 24, 2009, 11:15:58 PM

Get rid of the respawning outposts and I will probably not hate it with the fire of a thousand suns like I did FC2.

Also, an actual story/narrative and not-horrible voice acting would also be nice.

+1
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:29 PM »

Hmm...since I really loved what they did with environments in FC2, I'd really like it to be set in some region that has evergreen rainforests similar to the Northwest of N.A; Japan or China would be cool. I'd love them to capture a dim, damp feeling like the X-Files series. I'd also really like them to realistically model downpours to the extent you could gain a stealth advantage on enemies due to the background noise of heavy rain. It was also be cool if some transportation and streams couldn't be used/crossed due to it. If it was in Asia you could have a conspiracy setting involving Yakuza or Triads. I personally never got tired of the checkpoints, especially running enemies down at them, but this time why not have them in urban settings like those in Hong Kong cinema.

Bottom line, I don't think I want to go back to Africa or another tropical island this time round.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:57:19 AM »

Kronovan, if I was the lead designer or producer of FC3 your pitch would have sold me  icon_biggrin That sounds awesome...

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:17:02 AM »

I'd like to see the same leap that Ubi made with Assassins Creed 1 to 2- fundamentals the same but lots more time to focus on lots of varied content.  But Far Cry has less of a gap to close to me since I thought Far Cry 2 was vastly superior to Assassins Creed 1. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 01:36:36 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 25, 2009, 12:57:19 AM

Kronovan, if I was the lead designer or producer of FC3 your pitch would have sold me  icon_biggrin That sounds awesome...

He,heh...glad you liked it. It's wet and dreary here in Vancouver today, and I recently watched Hardboiled and Triad Election...so it got me thinking. slywink
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:26:36 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 25, 2009, 01:17:02 AM

I'd like to see the same leap that Ubi made with Assassins Creed 1 to 2- fundamentals the same but lots more time to focus on lots of varied content.  But Far Cry has less of a gap to close to me since I thought Far Cry 2 was vastly superior to Assassins Creed 1. 

I think Far Cry 2 could learn from Red Faction Guerilla, I don't mind open-world style games but there has to be a wealth of interesting content along the way between the story missions. I felt like FC2 somehow felt short in that regard.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:42:10 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 04:51:57 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 25, 2009, 02:26:36 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 25, 2009, 01:17:02 AM

I think Far Cry 2 could learn from Red Faction Guerilla, I don't mind open-world style games but there has to be a wealth of interesting content along the way between the story missions. I felt like FC2 somehow felt short in that regard.

And RF2 offered that?  Strange, I thought it was generic
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

Insane Edition announced

link includes a Video

The 'Insane Edition' includes:

* Monkey Business - Discover Hurk, a new memorable character and quest giver, and his four unique missions (1 hour additional gameplay)
    * The Lost Expeditions -Two suspenseful action packed missions totaling over 40 minutes of additional gameplay and an exclusive weapon (The Japanese gun)
    * The Hunter Pack – The M700 hunting rifle and its three collector’s skins.
    * The Warrior Pack - A handcrafted dagger and two exclusive tribal tattoos.
    * The Predator Pack - Four exclusive rare predators and a multiplayer bow.
    * An ‘Insanity Guide’ containing hints and tips to help you survive the island
    * A 12cm Vaas Wahine with bobble head!

only announced for the UK at the moment

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »

Far Cry 3 Co-Op details

The Co-Op will be a prequel to the Single player story and will be set 6 months before

Video in the link

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »

a preview of single player from Gamescom.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »

I have pre-ordered that Insane Edition,i am not sure how i feel to have access to all the unlockable content though,i do lie the wallet

Also the Achievement list has been released

I always like looking at the achievement list because it can give you an idea of some of the things in the game

here are a few
Free Fall   5
Freefall more than 100m and live (Single Player only).

Rebel With a Cause   10
Liberate 3 outposts.   

Island Liberator   40
Liberate all outposts.

Looks like there are a lot of collectibles in the game
Full Bars   20
Activate 9 radio towers.   

Archeology 101   20
Gather a total of 60 relics.   

Dead Letters   20
Gather all "Letters of the Lost".

Memory to Spare   20
Gather all the memory cards.

Red Dead Redemption?
In Cold Blood   10
Complete a WANTED Dead quest.   

Poker Bully   20
Win $1500 playing poker.

Poacher   20
Hunt and skin a rare animal.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:45:14 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »

I like the bobblehead, he could hang out with my Pipboy one- too bad it's not coming to the US.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »

Huh,really?,that's weird because GAME usually have the same offers as Gamestop

new freak you have to deal with in the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oao4TlwIGw
A couple of film influences as well i can see

interesting at the start of that video that there are different islands for different game modes,i took a screenie

Like Red Dead Redemption i am guessing the community island is for where you can just hang out online and probably set up the multiplayer games from there
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:12:08 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »

too bad that the community island is bigger than the co-op island.  was hoping there was more to it. 

kind of reminds me of the map structure in two worlds 2.  that one also had all of the islands in the same world.  it was jarring though, as you could sail to them and wander around but didn't have much to do outside of killing random spawns.  no quests or anything.  I suppose they'll wall off the islands here though; 

looking forward to playing this.  open world fps with elements from RDR and just cause 2.  as far as SP shooter goes, this one is up there with Halo 4 as most anticipated. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »

This game is not out until a week on Friday for me(30th Nov),and i think its a few days after that for the North American release,however...reviews have started

GameInformer-9

After two remarkable but uneven offerings, Far Cry finally pulls everything together in the third installment. The diverse open-world action, compelling story, and an alluring environment that begs exploration are all high water marks for the series. This is an island adventure all shooter fans should experience.

CVG-9.4
CVG also say the single player is about 25hrs and console visuals suffer some
Power through visual hitches and a strained finale to find a spirited, brilliant open-world gem packed with extreme pursuits, stunning scenery and hoards of savage animals - both man and beast alike.

Eurogamer-10/10(that's right a 10,not an 8!!)
That's because Far Cry 3 is all the best things about open-world gaming. It's a glorious anecdote factory, where you manufacture brilliant new memories every time you wake up in a safehouse and head out into the jungle. It's an astonishing technical achievement, as comfortable revealing incredible landscapes over the brow of a hill as it is when the setting sun winks at you through a canopy, or when the heavens open as you stalk wildlife through the trees and long grass. And it always lets you play, but it also controls the tempo - sometimes a little heavy-handedly, but always with good intentions.

In the past, Far Cry's vision of a first-person shooter RPG where you explore, master and then control your environment has always been more seductive on paper than any of its developers have managed to deliver on disc. Far Cry 3 changes all that. For me, this is the new apex predator of open-world shooters. Hunt it down as soon as you can.

IGN-9.0
It’s easy to see why someone would want to visit Rook Island – it’s a stunning tropical location with plenty of fun activities, scenic views, and history worth discovering. Far Cry 3 disrupts that paradise to challenge your feelings about enjoying violence. Because of lunatics like Hoyt and Vaas, you’ll see beautiful things you never would have. You’ll do terrible things that make you uncomfortable and meet fascinating, disgusting people. You’ll sympathize with Jason Brody’s difficult choices as he turns from vapid young man into a monster.

Far Cry 3 is important for the same reason as Far Cry 2. It’s a shooter that considers shooters thoughtfully, both in the way they’re designed and the way we play them, and then asks us to do the same. Should massacring hundreds be a great way to entertain ourselves? Maybe not. But it is.

Metacritic has 3 other reviews listed,90,90 and a 93

So these early signs point to me being glad i pre-ordered icon_biggrin

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 21, 2012, 05:22:46 PM

I'm glad I pre-ordered, too icon_biggrin. I must be one of the few people who liked Far Cry 2 better than the first. So far I'm happy with what I've read about FC3, like this article.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »

crap, I was going to hold out for a better deal on the PC deluxe version, but that 10 out of 10 from Eurogamer sold me.  I guess $51 bucks off of Gamersgate will be the best since Green Man isn't offering it for North America.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »

RPS's Wot I Think about Far Cry 3.  I like they brought back my favorite part of FC2:

icon_twisted

Because I can,
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »

Liked the first one, hated the 2nd one. This one looks promising.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

What if I've never played Far Cry before?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 21, 2012, 06:23:20 PM

shouldn't be a problem; they've all been stand alone games.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 21, 2012, 06:23:20 PM

I think Far Cry Instincts Predator is the only FC game i have played,i think that is a console version of the first game

looking at the cover for Far Cry 2,i am pretty sure i never played that one,and i am not sure why i have only just realised that that passed me by,i think i was thinking that 'Predator' was Far Cry 2 for some reason

EDIT:

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 21, 2012, 05:34:59 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 21, 2012, 05:22:46 PM

I'm glad I pre-ordered, too icon_biggrin. I must be one of the few people who liked Far Cry 2 better than the first. So far I'm happy with what I've read about FC3, like this article.

good article and cool video

Kotaku have actually got their review up now
http://kotaku.com/5962414/far-cry-3-the-kotaku-review

Kotaku asks:should you play this game?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:46:01 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »

Kudos to Ubisoft Montreal for allowing reviews to be posted so early as well, I'm getting very leery of these games developers that force them to be held till day of release.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 21, 2012, 06:42:35 PM

Kotaku have actually got their review up now
http://kotaku.com/5962414/far-cry-3-the-kotaku-review

Kotaku asks:should you play this game?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes

I like the sidebar in the article where he compares FC2 to FC3. Even though I am greatly looking forward to FC3, I'm going to be holding on to FC2, it's still a great game even now.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »

Appears to be no incentive to order early so I'll sit on the fence until it's cheap.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:04:07 PM by ATB » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »

It's not just Kotaku.  A review explosion has hit.

90+% on GameRankings right now.

Eurogamer gave it a 10/10.

EDIT:  Oops.  Sorry, mo.  I did scroll, but not enough!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:27:48 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 21, 2012, 07:26:41 PM

It's not just Kotaku.  A review explosion has hit.

90+% on GameRankings right now.

Eurogamer gave it a 10/10.

scroll up some  icon_wink Tongue

TV commercials have just started and in one block of ads,Far Cry 3 was on twice icon_neutral

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 02:58:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 21, 2012, 05:39:50 PM

crap, I was going to hold out for a better deal on the PC deluxe version, but that 10 out of 10 from Eurogamer sold me.  I guess $51 bucks off of Gamersgate will be the best since Green Man isn't offering it for North America.

I was really hoping for a GMG sale on it but it seems they are not able to get Ubi on the US market.  the bonuses for the deluxe seem interesting enough to consider, but damn, I really wasn't looking to spend $65 on it during the height of the fall/winter sales. 

guess that means I'm going to hold off on most of the sale items. 

read the kotaku review this morning.  very happy that this game is as good as I'd hoped. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 03:30:06 AM »

Ran across a live playthrough.  too much chat but gives a good look.

link

start at 0:40:00

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 03:43:28 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 22, 2012, 03:30:06 AM

Ran across a live playthrough.  too much chat but gives a good look.

link

start at 0:40:00

or just watch an 1hr 40 minute playthrough from the start at
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=far_cry_3_live20121121
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

I do think Ubisoft have shot themselves in the foot,at least on my account

I fired up Assassins Creed 3 last night but just could not get back into it,i was bored...i wanted to play Far Cry 3 icon_cry

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »

I had no idea until I read some of the reviews that this game had split-screen co-op modes. I'm definitely IN, but I'll likely hold off until the New Year. I remember Far Cry 2 price dropped about $20 after a few months, so I can't see rushing out to get this despite how good the reviews are.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »

you want to see the Far Cry 3 Map editor trailer?

sure you do!!

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2012, 05:59:59 PM

sure you do!!

I only played around a little with the last game's map editor because the maps could only be used in multiplayer. The inclusion of a single player sandbox mode is, for me, a big plus for the editor, although I notice that the video said "and even some AI" indicating that the AI couldn't be fully implemented on your own map. Still, it's a step up from FC2 and another reason it's definitely a Day One purchase for me.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 26, 2012, 06:30:21 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2012, 05:59:59 PM

sure you do!!

I only played around a little with the last game's map editor because the maps could only be used in multiplayer. The inclusion of a single player sandbox mode is, for me, a big plus for the editor, although I notice that the video said "and even some AI" indicating that the AI couldn't be fully implemented on your own map. Still, it's a step up from FC2 and another reason it's definitely a Day One purchase for me.
Oh man...my family is going to love the editor, especially with the single player sandbox mode.  If we can do local splitscreen coop in the sandbox too, that would be awesome.  
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »

Article from Kotaku; The Weapons In Far Cry 3 Are Great, But The Weapon Descriptions Are Even Better

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: