http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 06:46:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Far Cry 2  (Read 16492 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2009, 02:54:50 AM »

I was very fortunate and never had the save bug.  I did finish the game and absolutely loved it.  The only bug I had was at an airplane crash mission I was supposed to eliminate all the attackers and when I did the mission didn't finish.  The only way I could end it was to kill my trusty helper.  Very sad.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2009, 05:09:38 AM »

i need to get back to this after blowing through godfather 2.  it slipped after my rrod a while back and i didn't get back into it when my 360 came back. 

i forget how much i have finished, but with my save system (one save before i start the mission, one save mid ways through, and a third after i have finished), i have only had to redo half a mission once due to the bug.  corrupt save issue when i went back.  seems like such a stupid bug too.  if i had played straight through that night instead of quitting, i probably would have been fine. 

i figure i'll keep a save before the end game begins and go back to score the rest of the collectibles and just power through the ending missions. 

of course, as i say this, fallout 3 still glares at me with it's 'almost-finished the pitt' save and impending expansion plus actually finishing it imperative, sacred 2 looming on the horizon, and now red faction 3 nudging my wallet to action next month. 

crikey.

keep with it pete.  it's worth at least 20 hours of your time.  it's taken over 30 of mine.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »

Completed several more campaign missions and a "bar" mission plus a couple of assassinations and am now up to 73%. The game has drawn me back in again  icon_cool. I did get killed about four times in the past four hours, but each time my "buddy" saved me. It's a great design feature, rewarding me for helping the buddies earlier on.

At first I didn't like the save house design decision, instead of "save anywhere". But now I've gotten to appreciate how it influences my game play. I am more cautious and plan more. Yet it's just as enjoyable as playing Fallout 3 and saving all the time.

For my last half-hour of play I cut loose and just became the terror of the savanna. I selected my all explosives load out and blew up everything in sight. Much fun. I now have 39 hours in on the game.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2009, 02:54:06 PM »

there's a new patch that's supposed to fix the save corruption problem.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 12, 2009, 02:54:06 PM

there's a new patch that's supposed to fix the save corruption problem.

Sadly it's pretty much too little, too late for a lot of folks who won't bother.

I finished the game, or rather I stopped playing during the finale sequence:
Spoiler for Hiden:
In one of the last missions, you go to a landing zone to get a dropped briefcase. The moment you pick it up, scores of enemies spawn all around you. That's bad enough. But I couldn't kill them! Not on hardcore. So I changed the difficulty to "easy", but they were still almost impossible to kill and I'd get nailed every time. I finally went to the guide which noted that in this mission the bad guys are significantly harder to kill than elsewhere in the game  icon_mad. I decided enough was enough, even though I was probably one or two missions from completing the game.

Perhaps the second-most interesting tweak is the ability to play ranked matches on user-made maps. "You should already find a selection of those maps thanks to some of our active community members," the team said.

I never have gotten into multiplayer, it just didn't seem to appeal to me. Maybe this change will motivate me to try again.

Meanwhile, the new patch also fixes a few random bugs in single-player and multiplayer, and introduces a new "hardcore" damage model where all weapons do "much more damage".

Hmm, a damage model that increases vulnerability? This might be worth checking out if it makes hardcore mode more like CoD:WaW hardcore. Mind you, it might make it impossible for me to get too far into the game, but it does have an appeal if it applies equally to the AI characters. In the present game they would go down with a single sniper shot (mostly), but often I could put a half clip from an assault rifle into them and they'd just stagger around and then resume firing. I wouldn't mind my character in the game being more sensitive to damage as long as the AI is equally as vulnerable.

UPDATE: Here's the text of the update info, from the Far Cry 2 forum:
Today we are pleased to announce the release of a Farcry 2 title update for Xbox 360.

This patch will include a lot of improvements for both single player and multiplayer modes; with better browsing features, more multiplayer game options, and other new additions in order to let you play the game, the way you want. Information on a similar update for PS3 and PC will be announced soon. Here is a list of the fixes and additions:

Single Player
Fix some random crash occurring during specific Malaria attacks
Fix health damage not following the difficulty level when switching difficulty during playerís walkthrough
Fix some camera issue when using a mortar near a rock
Reduce significantly the probability of having a corrupted save game*

Multiplayer
Add Respawning time in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add Starting rank in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add min players in the host option
Add deaths in scoreboard
Balance current damage model
Show VIP on Scoreboard (for your team only)
Players can stay on the same host for consecutive matches in Ranked match
Add a Quick match button when selecting a map in the Map community
Fix vehicles spawning on their initial position immediately after being destroyed by an explosion
Fix client being disconnected from the host randomly and not being able to see it after that
Fix death message does not appear randomly
Fix some issues when interacting with objects
Fix bandolier doesnít always unlock extra ammo
Fix some bug when healing another player and getting wounded at the same time
Fix diamond gain in rank mode
Fix players donít get a request to keep a map after playing on a IGE map
DLC Fix some issues when using the crossbow

Extra features
Add a ďhardcore modeĒ that will provide a new damage model where all weapons do much more damage to increase realism.
Add the possibility to play Rank matches on a selection of user maps**

Many of the new features were requested by members of the community and we would like to thanks everyone for taking the time to communicate with us, we hope you will enjoy the improvements.

* We are very aware of the problems some people have been experiencing and have been doing everything within our powers to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. We found out during our testing that several elements could cause an issue with the same consequences and therefore prevent certain players to finish the game. We have been able to provide solutions that prevent those corruption problems in most cases and we havenít encountered any problems now. We apologize wholeheartedly for the inconvenience that this matter has caused to some owners of the game.
** In answer to a growing demand we have developed a tool that enable us to mark userís created maps as ranked. You should already find a selection of those maps thanks to some of our active community members.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:31:56 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2009, 05:29:49 AM »

Fired this up today after the patch.  I'm still enjoying it.  The openness and feeling of being out on your own in such an open, hostile environment is such a different experience than anything else that I've ever played.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »

I just picked this up a few weeks ago in the buy 2 used, get 1 free thing @ Gamestop.

It's pretty great, although I do feel a little like a yankee imperalist cutting a swathe through the continent.  The technique of maintaining the 1st person perspective at all times really is immersive, particularly when your alter ego is digging bullets from his leg with a knife, or pulling them out of his arm with his teeth.

I have no real idea what the plot is, other than "kill the jackal", and it seems that outside of the safe zone everyone is a valid target (and considers me a valid target if they see me).  Oddly, that hasn't really bothered me.  I think those irritations are completely offset by the vast scope of the environment.

Also, the Jeep product placement is a little hilarious.  "Well, I'll be!  This is a 3.6L V8 that I'm fixing with my wrench whilst being fired at by angry mercenaries!"
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »

Saw this for $9.98 brand new at Target over the weekend for 360.  Tempted, but no.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2009, 01:49:48 AM »

I finished this and still think about it from time to time.  I can definitely see replaying this somewhere down the line.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »

Just finished the northern part.  Interesting ending to the northern section.

I am currently going back through all of the areas to get all of the diamonds before I drive off to the southern area.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: