http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:46:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Far Cry 2  (Read 16500 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 22, 2008, 04:28:17 AM

Did it take you guys a bit to get into the game?  It seems to be like it really starts off slow.  Travel is difficult and tedious and it really seems vague about what to do.

It started out incredibly slow for me and thus why I classed it, for me anyway, as a total failure.  I just don't have 10 hours for a game to get started.  They have to grab me from the get go or get out.  Liked the setting just not the game.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

Newly announced, the developers will be adding a hardcore mode to multiplayer for all platforms. I didn't like MP in Far Cry for the same reason I don't like it in the COD series; I want to be able to kill someone with only a couple of rounds, not pray that an entire clip will be enough. Here's hoping it comes to pass, and it doesn't suck.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »

I played a little bit of this at a buddies house over the weekend on his PC.  My PC is older, and won't be able to handle it as well.  Are there many differences between the PC and the 360 version?  Other than graphics of course.  I really enjoyed what I played, and the price is right.

"Goonies never say die"
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »

I would say the biggest difference is that the PC version allows you to save anywhere, while the console version limits you to saving at safe houses and other specific points on the map.  There's a lot of travel in FarCry 2, so the inability to easily save on the spot may leave you frustrated at having to replay 10 - 20 minutes of lost progress when you die.

I finished FarCry 2 on the PC and I loved it.

-Autistic Angel
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 23, 2009, 01:45:45 PM

I would say the biggest difference is that the PC version allows you to save anywhere, while the console version limits you to saving at safe houses and other specific points on the map.  There's a lot of travel in FarCry 2, so the inability to easily save on the spot may leave you frustrated at having to replay 10 - 20 minutes of lost progress when you die.

I finished FarCry 2 on the PC and I loved it.

-Autistic Angel

Hmmm.. if I thought my Pc would run it decently, I might pick up that version.  I have doubts though.

"Goonies never say die"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »

This is one of the few games where safe points actually worked for me. Annoying, yes. But they worked because the context of them made sense.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »

Now, with this Steam/Ubisoft sale, I'm crossing my fingers that the PC version is 50% off, in which case it's a no brainer.

"Goonies never say die"
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »

I received Far Cry 2 for Christmas and still haven't taken the plastic wrap off yet.  I've been trying to finish up some of my backlog, but the more comments I read the more excited I am to start this game.  Some of the gripes really don't seem like they'll be issues for me, and I really look forward to playing such an open-world FPS.  But, I worry about the time commitment as I have a number of massive games in my backlog I have yet to finish, or even start for that matter (Fallout 3, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, GTA4).  I've got a LONG way to go in GTA4, but I've at least made a fair bit of progress.  I've only put about an hour into Fallout 3, and I haven't even opened Fable 2.

Every time I read an old gaming thread (Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3), I get excited to play that specific game right away.  But then I read something else and then get excited for that game.  But, I worry about starting something with such a hefty time commitment for fear of only making my backlog worse instead of better (I'm moving along in Bioshock but worry that if I start something massive then Bioshock will go on the backburner again).  How do you guys deal with playing games with huge time commitments simultaneously?  Or do you focus your time on one game until completion?  I'm just not sure I can do that as my interests and moods change and I can't seem to play just one game at a time.  While Fallout 3 is fantastic, I need something different every so often.  But if I start Far Cry 2, will GTA4, Fallout 3, Fable 2, etc. continue to collect dust?   retard 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 23, 2009, 06:08:30 PM

Now, with this Steam/Ubisoft sale, I'm crossing my fingers that the PC version is 50% off, in which case it's a no brainer.

ooh, excellent! i've been debating picking up far cry 2 off steam for the last couple of weeks.  if it goes on sale this week, i'm definitely in!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 23, 2009, 06:20:41 PM

I received Far Cry 2 for Christmas and still haven't taken the plastic wrap off yet.  I've been trying to finish up some of my backlog, but the more comments I read the more excited I am to start this game.  Some of the gripes really don't seem like they'll be issues for me, and I really look forward to playing such an open-world FPS.  But, I worry about the time commitment as I have a number of massive games in my backlog I have yet to finish, or even start for that matter (Fallout 3, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, GTA4).  I've got a LONG way to go in GTA4, but I've at least made a fair bit of progress.  I've only put about an hour into Fallout 3, and I haven't even opened Fable 2.

Bear in mind I sank 40 hours in Far Cry 2 and consider it my personal game of last year. I may or may not be alone in my absolute love for it but I wouldn't be surprised. If you love open world absolute immersion games, this one is right at the top of the list. But if you choose to sink into the game and do everything you can find, your time will fly by.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 23, 2009, 08:48:56 PM

Bear in mind I sank 40 hours in Far Cry 2 and consider it my personal game of last year.

I've heard a number of people laud the game as well, being one of the best FPS experiences they've had (so far I feel COD4 SP, while short and linear, was some of the most moving and memorable gaming I've ever experienced).  Did your 40 hours cover a good portion of the game, or did you feel that there was far more for you to discover?  For example, some "tore" through Oblivion in 70 hours or less.  I'm at over 200 hours with the Dark Brotherhood still remaining.  Some finished Mass Effect in 20 hours.  I logged well over 50.  I'm just trying to get a better understanding of just how much content is there, as I'm a sucker for being sidetracked.  And I love being immersed in a game. 

I couldn't skip a single dungeon, cave, or ruin throughout my 200+ hours in Oblivion, no matter how similar they were.  I explored every single planet in Mass Effect.  Even if they were more or less carbon copies of one another.  I'm a completion whore and need to see all I can in a game.  And if I take the same approach with Far Cry 2 (which I am certain I will), then I'd like to get a better handle on whether that'll mean a 40-hour commitment as you've mentioned, or even more.  40 hours seems pretty reasonable in that I'll get a great deal of gaming out of it without feeling like I've been playing forever.  It's easy for me to get immersed in a game, mainly if the dialogue, atmosphere, sound, and gameplay all allow for quality immersion without glaring issues or problems, and if Far Cry 2 allows for that, then I fear starting it until I complete games like Bioshock or else it could be shelfed again.

But I'm also a fickle bastard.  Sometimes, no matter how good a game might be, I still am drawn to something else to mix things up a bit.  I can't play one game through from start to finish without other distractions.  And if a game has a daunting quantity of material (such as Fallout 3), I feel discouraged to start said game until I've completed other half-finished games (Bioshock, GTA4, etc).  If Far Cry 2 is huge, then I may wait until I at least finish Bioshock (another highly immersive, unique game).  But 40 hours doesn't seem like too much to take a short break from Bioshock to play something new.   ninja

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2009, 02:27:48 AM »

I'd finish BioShock first then. Far Cry 2 is a lot of the same in the sense that there's tons of driving through the African wilderness, plenty of firefights, and "go here, destroy/kill X" missions. BUT! The key is how you approach them. For example:

You can hack cell towers to get assassination missions. How you do it is entirely up to you. Climb up to the roof of a building and snipe with a silenced gun? Sure. Repeat but use a rocket launcher? Absolutely. Do what I did and literally enter a "no weapons town" and walk right up to the target then one-shot him in the back of the head with a silenced pistol then run like hell? Go for it. I'd get into firefights then set the ground on fire just to watch how it burned the brush. The day/night cycle is absorbing to say the least in how the light twinkles through the windshield of your vehicles. Personally, I just drove around and got swallowed up by the sheer size and density of the game world. It's directly modeled after a safari reserve in Kenya and just moving about felt like I was actually in Africa. I've always wanted to go so that helped keep my interest. The story sort of drifts in and out but it will surprise you and conflict your beliefs on where things are headed. Very rarely does the game spoonfeed you, if ever. You have to combine what others tell you with what you read in your journal with what you read on the few loading screens with what you may or may not discover on your own.

There are diamonds scattered about as sort of hidden collectibles and I spent probably 15 hours just hunting those. The main story you could probably blow through in 20 hours or so, but even that may be pushing it if you intend to do all the sidequests. I'd say prep a night around it the first time you fire it up because it is not a game you play in 15-20 minute intervals. At all.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2009, 03:29:26 AM »

and be prepared to suffer through the first hour or so.  it's not that it's bad, but once you get past the opening missions, it gets a bit more hectic and instead of a handful of enemies in a mission are, you can get a dozen, not counting those you will encounter on the way.  i was pretty  dismayed by my early experience and how tough the game seemed to be.  part of it is attributed to your less-than-great starting weapons and part of it comes from what i call the 'CoD' mentality.  that will get you killed in far cry 2, and after a month and change of playing nothing but cod:waw, it took a bit of adjustment to fc2's combat nuances.

one thing that i learned the hard way is that you aren't given a single path to beating a mission.  change of day/night, different paths, different tactics and approaches, combined with some very different weapon loadout options means you aren't limited by the usual constraints. 

starting out, i wouldn't take the main missions right away.  do some assasssination missions for diamonds, some weapon dealer missions to open up more weapons, and i'd even recommend doing some of the buddy quests.  you don't get anything tangible, but it raises your rep, one of fc2's unique aspects.  the higher it gets, the less likely it is that all of the enemies will rush you.  yes, they will be more cautious of you as your renown for causing and surviving mayhem grows.  i've even had a number of them flat out run away from me after watching their buddies go down. 

oh, and fire is your friend.  your machete is not, sadly.  (it's not counted as a silent weapon, no matter how carefully you approach your enemy)

i am currently around 30 hours into it and i still have about 35% to go according to the stats screen.  even though replaying it won't give you a substantially different experience, i intend to play through again down the road. 

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »

Wow, Whiteboy, you sold me.  I'm leaving right now to pick it up.

Wake up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »

no one mentioned the fire  crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 24, 2009, 02:53:32 PM

So you never even read my review? frown I was inspired enough by the game to write the review as though I were a journalist embedded in the country while all this was going on. I do not exaggerate when I say the game can and will swallow you whole. Glad you're trying it though. And I agree with Caine - it will take a bit to get used to the combat mechanics. The first time a gun jams on you in combat you will freak out. Even knowing it's coming won't prepare you. But the weapons get better at the weapons dealers. If you're picking one up off a bad guy then it's going to be rusted out and break.

Enjoy. biggrin

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »

FC2 is a great game.  However, if you're used to the gameplay of CoD or almost any other FPS, you're going to need to shift your perspective, radically, with FC2.  You aren't a one man army; you need to be intelligent, and not just bum rush people with your assault rifle blazing.  While you can do this...you often as not will die doing this.

FC2 to me, is the best sniper simulator I've ever played.  You can creep up to a position, take a shot, displace, and then shoot them as they go to check out your previous position.  You can shoot enemies in the leg, then wait for one of their buddies to run over to grab them...and then shoot the buddy.

Also, nearly every gun has it's own use (except the non-silent pistols).  Sniper rifles (as above) are great...but so are the assault rifles.  Shotguns are great (especially the auto-shotgun).  Weapons loadout issues are always there...take the Uzi as a backup weapon, or take the M79 grenade launcher.  The Uzi is a great backup weapon for a sniper...but the M79 is a fantastic weapon to take out vehicles and groups of people.

However, the weapon-jamming thing is a bit ridiculous; I got in the habit of replacing my guns after every mission, so it never really bugged me, but if you don't want to go to a weapons shop to do this, the guns break/jam way too frequently.  I'm talking a brand new AR15 (m16 look-alike) blowing up in your hands after 200 rounds...or a dart rifle blowing up after 10 rounds.  No one...NO ONE would design a gun to blow up that quickly.  It's hyper "gamey" which is very unlike the rest of the game.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 24, 2009, 04:11:18 PM

So you never even read my review? frown I was inspired enough by the game to write the review as though I were a journalist embedded in the country while all this was going on.

I remember reading your review right when the game was released and I really enjoyed your "reporting" style.  I was really entertained and sucked right into the game's universe.  What's funny is I've had the game since Christmas and I've been apprehensive about taking the plastic wrap off, not because I'm worried about whether I'll enjoy the game, but because I'm worried I'll enjoy it too much and forget about the rest of my backlog.  Again. 

The problem I have now is that reading this thread makes me really want to get started right away, despite being just over halfway through Bioshock (or thereabouts as I'm almost finished with Fort Frolic and about to take on The Artist).  Also I recently read Black Order by James Rollins and a portion of the story is set in the game preserve in Zululand, South Africa.  Plus, while I've never been to Africa, recently we watched Blood Diamond for the third or fourth time and we also love to visit the recreated African town of Harambe in Disney's Animal Kingdom and I have always been fascinated by Africa, its wildlife, politics, and environment. 

Perhaps I could use a break from Bioshock as right now I'm playing out of obligation rather than enjoyment.  Far Cry 2 keeps moving farther and farther up my gaming queue.  Fable 2 was pretty high up there, along with Mirror's Edge, but the more you guys discuss Far Cry 2 the more likely I am to move it right to the top of my list.     

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »

If you're only playing BioShock out of obligation and love Africa, then fire up Far Cry 2 today/tonight. See you on the other side. smile

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 24, 2009, 04:11:18 PM

So you never even read my review?
Oh, I read every word.  That, coupled with your comments in this thread, are the reason I now own the game!

I love Africa too and can't wait to get started.

Eco

Wake up.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 24, 2009, 05:58:48 PM

If you're only playing BioShock out of obligation and love Africa, then fire up Far Cry 2 today/tonight. See you on the other side. smile

I think the wife and I are going to watch Quantum of Solace tonight as it is being released on DVD today (haven't seen it yet and watched Casino Royale on our flight back from The Bahamas - mainly to see The Ocean Club as we got to visit the real-life location while on vacation  icon_cool).  But I have a feeling Far Cry 2 could be loaded up as soon as this weekend.  I went back to read your review again and it really submerses me into the game's world.   drool

In the meantime I'll just keep popping in here to read through others' comments.  I think what most interests me is that the combat is designed to require you to utilize intelligence rather than brute force.  Mainly I just can't wait to set things on fire.   icon_twisted

You can rest assured that once I get some time in with the game I'll check in to see how my thoughts compare to your own.  Obviously you really enjoyed the game and based upon what I've read I think I will as well.  The problem is actually finding time to play.  

Once I start playing it'll also be really hard not to imitate DiCaprio's accent in Blood Diamond while I play (and probably generally while at home as well).   icon_redface
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:13:09 PM by PeteRock » Logged

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »

Here are the negatives to this game from my point of view-

-Everyone in the world wants to kill you.  There will never be a guard checkpoint that you don't have to fight your way through.
-Have to drive everywhere, often long, long distances.  Often back and forth over the same roads over and over again.  Buses form a fast-travel system but there are still long drives from those points.
-After you clear out that guard post, if you turn around even a little ways down the road, it's back again like you never came through. 
-Annoying Jeeps keep ramming, shooting, and generally pestering you while you drive.  Again, if you see another Jeep, your choices are to hide or fight.  No peaceful traffic.
-Malaria randomly interrupts the gameplay, even in the middle of gun battles. 
-The two warring factions are indistinguishable.  I thought I was doing "evil" missions and wanted to switch to the other side, but then I got evil missions from them.  And then I couldn't progress unless I went back and did the mission I didn't want to do.
-Buddies are pretty much interchangeable.  One dies, I get another one who does all the same stuff.
-Completely arbitrary weapon load-out restrictions. 
-Oh yeah, losing 20 minutes of progress because you can only save at safehouses just sucks balls.
-All story missions are exactly the same structure to a bizarre degree.  You get two objectives, always to kill someone or pick something up.  Do those, get a call from your buddy, help him out.  Mission over.  It's so weird how they all follow exactly that format.

Overall I enjoyed all the good things that people have mentioned about it, and I played probably 10-15 hours of the game, maybe more.  I did a lot of the freeform stuff, trying to search guardposts and find diamonds.  It was a lot of fun for about 8-10 hours.  For me the biggest problem is just the repetition, and the fact that the whole plot of the game just fails.  I don't really know the Jackal or anything about him.  I don't have a sense of how things are building up to going after him.  I don't know how to distinguish the two factions or why I should care about either one. They're both just random combinations of letters that give me virtually identical missions.  So overall, when that whole second map opened up and was filled with an entirely new map that ended up being a lot of the same, I put it down and didn't go back.  It basically felt like it was heading for what we in RPGs call "grind" at that point.

BTW, since people always bring it up, I'm not saying any game I've ever worked on gets all those things I listed right.  It's just purely a list of what I found annoying about Far Cry 2.  Just being a counterpoint to all the people who really like it, because I'm waiting for emails and in a cantankerous mood slywink
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »

Question: I tried FC2 MP and didn't find it my cup of tea. However, I know there are other things in the DLC besides the new MP maps. Is it worth getting the DLC for the new content? I never got too far in FC2 SP and am considering starting it again, with the new items from the DLC.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 24, 2009, 06:46:20 PM

Question: I tried FC2 MP and didn't find it my cup of tea. However, I know there are other things in the DLC besides the new MP maps. Is it worth getting the DLC for the new content? I never got too far in FC2 SP and am considering starting it again, with the new items from the DLC.

That's a good question as I had no idea there was DLC available and upon further research I learned that there are two new vehicles and three new weapons available for the SP campaign.  I wonder if it's necessary or advised, as I noticed there are some silenced weapons as well as a crossbow.  Not to mention that driving a quad through Africa has got to be fun.  But $10 fun?  Not sure.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 24, 2009, 06:46:20 PM

No. You get a few guns and some other minute stuff and that's it. Check out the PC forum for some more details on it but it ain't worth it in my view. Besides, a silenced shotgun sounds ridiculous. Then again, I guess it doesn't.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2009, 06:53:33 PM »

DOC for the PC is apparently only available through Steam, and on the PC it's only 5 bucks.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 24, 2009, 06:50:18 PM

Besides, a silenced shotgun sounds ridiculous. Then again, I guess it doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdD1H54bcQQ

-Autistic Angel
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2009, 08:26:35 PM »

I haven't read through the whole thread for fear of spoilers, so I apologize if this has already been talked about.  My friend just sold the game back after putting 30 hours into it because he ran into what he called a "game-stopping bug" that apparently affects the 360 version of the game. He said he looked it up on the official forums and there's lots of reports on it there. I haven't looked very hard but the quick search that I did do didn't return anything signfiicant.

Has anyone here ran into this bug?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 24, 2009, 07:29:22 PM

-Autistic Angel

Hahahahaha. Awesome. That's been sitting in my queue forever now so I may have to bump it up to the top. smile

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

Given the quality of gameplay, graphics, sound, etc, I'm left wondering how the story holds up.  Some games have their problems, such as Mass Effect, but the story and presentation more than made up for minor gripes like elevator loading times and uninspired combat.  In the case of Far Cry 2, I'm wondering if the story takes a back seat to the gameplay as it seems pretty apparent that the game's playability received so much focus.  I'm just hoping not to the story's detriment.  Phenomenal gameplay is great, but I need some kind of story mechanism to keep me interested in actually continuing to play. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 24, 2009, 08:26:35 PM

I haven't read through the whole thread for fear of spoilers, so I apologize if this has already been talked about.  My friend just sold the game back after putting 30 hours into it because he ran into what he called a "game-stopping bug" that apparently affects the 360 version of the game. He said he looked it up on the official forums and there's lots of reports on it there. I haven't looked very hard but the quick search that I did do didn't return anything signfiicant.

I think there are one or two occasions in Far Cry 2 where story missions might become unwinnable, but I don't know exactly what they are.  If you rotate through three or four different save slots, you could probably avoid getting locked into a permanently bugged mission.

Some PC players have reported a bug where your buddies suddenly become hostile.  This means that when you die in combat, your buddy will appear to drag you out of the fire fight, patch up your wounds, hand you a pistol, and then promptly unload his shotgun into your chest. ninja

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 24, 2009, 08:28:54 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 24, 2009, 07:29:22 PM

-Autistic Angel

Hahahahaha. Awesome. That's been sitting in my queue forever now so I may have to bump it up to the top. smile

No Country For Old Men runs 122-minutes.  If you turned your TV off at the 90-minute mark, picked a random novel off your bookshelf, and pretended the last thirty pages somehow resolved the genuinely gripping events of the movie, you could not possibly come away less satisfied than you would by waiting for the credits.

That movie is aweso-

-Autistic Angel
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 24, 2009, 09:21:12 PM

Given the quality of gameplay, graphics, sound, etc, I'm left wondering how the story holds up.  Some games have their problems, such as Mass Effect, but the story and presentation more than made up for minor gripes like elevator loading times and uninspired combat.  In the case of Far Cry 2, I'm wondering if the story takes a back seat to the gameplay as it seems pretty apparent that the game's playability received so much focus.  I'm just hoping not to the story's detriment.  Phenomenal gameplay is great, but I need some kind of story mechanism to keep me interested in actually continuing to play. 

The overall story is very thin, and honestly the bits and pieces you pick up fit together very loosely.  You keep playing this game for the sandbox gameplay.  As I mentioned above, the narrative was one of the big negatives for me.  There's no comparison to Mass Effect in this area.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:56 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 24, 2009, 10:30:08 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on March 24, 2009, 09:21:12 PM

The overall story is very thin, and honestly the bits and pieces you pick up fit together very loosely.  You keep playing this game for the sandbox gameplay.  As I mentioned above, the narrative was one of the big negatives for me.  There's no comparison to Mass Effect in this area.

When it comes to sandbox gameplay, I always think back to games like the GTA series, and in the case of GTA the narrative is just as involving and thought-out as the sandbox gamplay.  It's kind of disappointing to hear that while Far Cry 2 offers a sandbox FPS experience without as detailed a storyline.  But, from what I hear if you pay close attention to notes, conversations, communication transmissions, etc, you get a more detailed understanding of what is going on in Africa. 

I really need to start the game so that I can have a more informed conversation, because right now I'm going entirely off of what others have said about the game.  Perhaps tonight while the wife is doped up on cough medicine with vicadin I can at least read through the instruction manual during the President's press conference. 

RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 24, 2009, 08:26:35 PM

I usually warn any Friends I see playing about a bug I had where the 360 would immediately hard freeze on loading certain save points (sometimes even 2 consecutive saves).  Some of these occurred on those long multi-stage missions.  mad  Definitely keep a multi-save cycle running (I'd say at least 4).  I don't know what caused it, but I did have a problem earlier on where I couldn't enter the bar to complete one of the side friend missions (for the Arab guy, IIRC).  I was playing Josep.
Overall, I loved the game, but I don't mind playing certain games 'slow', just enjoying the immersion or looking for the perfect spot for a one-shot snipe, or enjoying a boatride at dusk.
I agree with Kathode's complaints, particularly about the unrelenting hostility of the world.  Also, cultivating friendships (or faction loyalty) is ultimately pointless (and maybe even counter-productive, actually), except for the opportunity to complete more missions.  I will defend the game on the spawning issues I've seen complaints about.  Sometimes you will drive down the road, pull a U-turn, and there are new enemies at a guard post, but I think this just occurs when you cross the edge of some internally defined 'zone'.  Many times, I would clear a post, then sleep at a nearby shack, and the post is still destroyed in the morning.  Also, some of the complaints about 'new guys spawning right behind me' is just a result of some interesting AI IMO; there are roaming patrols who will respond to distant trouble (often on foot), and some enemies will retreat from an attacked location and either move around the flank, or hunker down in cover and wait for you to show yourself before they violently announce their presence.  Of course, sometimes they act dumb as hell (particularly when you're wearing the camo suit I think).
Finally, the 'big problem' I have with Far Cry 2 was the same as GTAIV; it's such a big, convincing world that the things you actually can 'do' end up making the world feel kind of big and beautiful, but empty.  I see some animals, why can't I get missions to hunt a particular lion or those little deer whose purpose for existence seems to be performing comically suicidal headbutts on my jeep?  Why don't I have to worry about crocodiles in the water?  Why do you stop giving me, for example, assassination missions when I've done a certain number of them?  Even if I don't get particular rewards anymore, can't you just spawn random people for me to whack, or keep giving me convoys to blast even when I don't get any more weapons?  Why not extend replayability in some of these cases where it seems almost trivially easy and obvious?  I think I know the answer (DLC opportunity), but I don't like it.

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 24, 2009, 06:21:19 PM

Just being a counterpoint to all the people who really like it, because I'm waiting for emails and in a cantankerous mood slywink

The Pitt launch not going smoothly?  Tongue

Because I can,
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:43 AM »

Far Cry 2 reminds me a bit of Assassin's Creed (same Ubi studio?) in that it's a hugely awesome engine and set of game mechanics but the actual game bit is underdeveloped. In both cases consisting of a series of very repetitive main missions and some not too inspired (and repetitive) side content. Even with that being the case I found the game play of both titles to be very satisfying.

A couple things I really like about Far Cry that I haven't seen mentioned.

--The draw distance for AI is ridiculously long. In 30+ hours I think I've only seen an enemy "pop-in" once or twice. It's good enough that if you see a building in the distance and check it out with your scope and don't see anyone nearby it's because there's no one there, or they're hidden on the other side.

--I really like the way stealth is implemented. There are sort of two layers to the stealth.  The first being keeping the enemy completely unaware of your presence. This is very difficult, as it should be, especially if you take violent action against someone. Once they realize something is up the second layer of stealth   becomes keeping them guessing at your current location. You almost never out-gun your adversaries (at least not for long) and you're not much, if any, more bullet resistant than them (I was playing on "Hardcore" I think it was called). The combat becomes a cycle of opening up from concealment, doing as much damage as possible then breaking their line of sight and hustling over to a new approach angle to repeat the process, it's considerably more exciting than it describes, and really feels like you have to "out fight" your enemies.

I recall one particularly satisfying attack against a little group of buildings in the jungle. I had the AI so confuzzled that when I finally got inside the compound I found two fellows taking cover in the wrong direction firing their weapons into the empty jungle. I think some of the accusations of "stupid AI" come from people that don't realize that the AI doesn't cheat with regard to knowing your location, or doesn't seem to at least.  That episode was particularly satisfying as one of the guys was yelling something like "there has to be at least three of them" right when I gave him a machete blade dorsal fin.

--I also like the very long day/night cycle. I forget at the moment, but I think it's something like 6 hours to a FarCry Day. It's long enough for you to get a significant amount of stuff done during a single day or night and the transition between them is long enough to feel more realistic than most other games (and dusk and dawn are very pretty with the great light effects).

A couple of favorite moments from the game:

Blowing up a convoy in the middle of an explosives rich outpost, wondering where the truck went and then noticing as the flames of a nearby tree subsided that the wreckage was up in the tree.

Being perched up in a rock face at dawn waiting for the sun to rise high enough for me to see into the enemy base 300 yards away where my assassination target was out for his early morning stroll. Finding the 2 seconds of the route where his head was visible behind a low stone wall. Drilling him through the chest with a .50 cal sniper rifle fired through the wall. Escaping the area in a bit of hurry because apparently the base mortar operator is a keen eyed early riser who, at the crack of my light fifty set down his coffee and began trying to drop a shell on my head, even though I'd just done him the favor of ventilating his boss.

Taking great care to sneak into an enemy structure extending out over a river on a "destroy the case" mission only to discover that I had left my IEDs at home. Finding a place near the railing where I could see the door to the hut containing the case. Firing a round from my M79 through the door while simultaneously stepping backwards into the water. Surfacing on the other side looking across at a lot of shouting people running around looking for the source of their sudden extra (and too large) camp fire.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it I can think of lots of these, but I'll spare you.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2009, 12:36:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 24, 2009, 11:48:41 PM

Quote from: kathode on March 24, 2009, 06:21:19 PM

Just being a counterpoint to all the people who really like it, because I'm waiting for emails and in a cantankerous mood slywink

The Pitt launch not going smoothly?  Tongue

I'm not on DLC smile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »

Quote from: Wheelman on March 25, 2009, 12:29:43 AM

The combat becomes a cycle of opening up from concealment, doing as much damage as possible then breaking their line of sight and hustling over to a new approach angle to repeat the process, it's considerably more exciting than it describes, and really feels like you have to "out fight" your enemies.

Agreed.  I don't think I've ever seen better combat in an FPS than in this game.  It has its problems, not least the repetition - I doubt I'll ever finish it - but Far Cry 2 has treated me to some of the best gun battles I've ever had in a game.  The way you're against loads of soldiers all hunting for you, having to dart in and out of cover, never staying still for too long, trying everything you can to put down the next man.  It made me feel like Jack Bauer!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2009, 02:35:04 PM »

there was nothing like pulling out your RPG to face a charging jeep, pressing the trigger and finding out it's jammed to get your heart racing, or blowing up a convoy and realize you miscalculated which way the resulting blaze would go and eneding to hotfoot it out of the area.

I wonder if anyone ever made a mod for the PC version that expanded the range that a fire could spread.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »

the game is not without it's problems, no doubt.  i think kathode's assessment sums it up nicely in that regard, but the question is, how much does that stuff bother you vs how much do you enjoy the good stuff? 

i haven't beaten it yet, but i intend to finish it soon as the missions later on seem interesting.

i have had one occasion with a save being unloadable but i didn't lose much time as i keep my saves separate.  2 per mission phase and 2 sets of backups, plus one at a certain mission point from early on.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: