http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:25:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Far Cry 2 Impressions thread (now with FIRE!!!) [56K beware]  (Read 15665 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 19, 2008, 04:41:51 PM

Ah, so you hit a situation where you couldn't save your buddies either?  Interesting...

The situation that Ceekay is speaking about is totally scripted and part of the story.  I'm not sure that any of the "normal" buddy rescues are like that. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »

Well wtf... I definitely could not save my buddy.

He faded away like Yoda.

This one is going on the shelf for a while... too many really kick ass games to play right now to fuck around with this one.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »

SPOILER POST -- SPOILER POST -- SPOILER POST -- SPOILER POST

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2008, 03:32:16 PM

ok, the final mission before you get to the second map really ticked me off as I kept on reloading thinking it would be possible to keep my buddies alive and escape.  so, I basically wasted my time building up relationships with my buddies since there is no apparent way to save them?  after trying the bar fight several times I went the church route and they still die.

at least in the first fight like that (the hotel) it would eventually make you fall unconscious, but I was actually doing some damage to the attackers and pulled off tougher escapes during other missions in the game.

Like I posted before, I really disliked my buddy, so I just went to church.  Besides, I figured all my buddies had assault weapons and the military training to use them, while the refugees would more likely need someone to watch their backs.  All my old buddies are now listed as "missing" in my journal, so I don't know if they'll come back some day.

I've already met a couple new buddies, and I like them a lot more.  I've been focusing on the new Arms Merchant Missions which have unlocked on the second map though, so I haven't progressed the story very much.

When your buddies die / vanish, do you lose all the Safe House upgrades you earned along the way?

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 19, 2008, 06:04:29 PM

Well wtf... I definitely could not save my buddy.

He faded away like Yoda.

This one is going on the shelf for a while... too many really kick ass games to play right now to fuck around with this one.

I'm not sure what the specific mechanic is but I think the deciding factor may be how long you wait to rescue them.  Wait too long once they get taken out and it will be too late to save them. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2008, 09:11:47 PM »

I tried it both ways... doing it after he'd been down, and doing it the second he'd gone down... I had saved him in other situations after longer waits with no issues at all... never had to give him more than 1 syringe before either.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »

ok, maybe the weapons dealer missions are a bit repetitive, but it's just so much fun ambushing a convoy!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2008, 03:29:27 AM »

Quote from: kratz on November 19, 2008, 09:11:47 PM

I tried it both ways... doing it after he'd been down, and doing it the second he'd gone down... I had saved him in other situations after longer waits with no issues at all... never had to give him more than 1 syringe before either.
I just had a similar situation.  I'd just completed a mission and quick saved. I wandered off a few paces to watch the pyrotechnics and destruction my buddy and I had just caused.  Five bad guys spawned while my back was turned and got in a firefight with buddy.  As I ran back to help, she got caught in a fire and went down.  When I approached her, she knew she was too fucked up and didn't want to be left behind, in case someone found her and interrogated her before she died.  She just kept begging for more morphine and I kept giving it to her until she finally died. This happened again when I reloaded. I kept reloading to see if I could save her, and finally did after about the fourth try.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2009, 06:41:40 AM »

Like:
graphics
smooth framerates
special effects
explosions
shotgun shell jams

Dislikes:
clipping(leaves through walls)
getting shot through a wall
killed from god knows where he was
multiplayer...worst mp ever..so far
respawning
kinda gets boring..maybe too open
traveling..especially driving
running missions but really having no idea what im doing smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2009, 02:34:29 PM »

Has anyone had any luck using custom .cfg files to increase the draw distance and eliminate some of the pop-in you get while driving?  I have my detail settings maxed out, and it's still very distracting to see things like trees and bushes suddenly appear as you approach.

I found this thread where someone details how to apply a custom .cfg, but when I try to apply any changes to the

gfx_ClusterLODScale
gfx_KillLODScale
gfx_LODScale
gfx_TerrainLODScale

parameters, the console spits back, "Unknown Command."  The other shadow-based changes, however, appear to work just fine.

Were those parameters removed in one of the the post-release patches?  I'm currently at 1.2.....

-Autistic Angel
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »

Buddy question
Spoiler for Hiden:
I saw earlier in the thread where a guy's buddy died after asking for stims. I just had that happen with the old guy on a train hijack mission. He gave me health packs to my safe houses then died after i kept giving him stims. Could he have been saved if I had reloaded and played that mission again or got there sooner? I think I saved over that with a quicksave so unless theres some seperate autosave when i reach a mission then Im screwed? I only had him as a buddy and some girl that comes helps me if I get put down.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »

I'm thinking yes, after my experience.  Happened again for me with another buddy.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2009, 03:15:17 AM »

I'm not sure what the flag is for what causes a buddy to be unrecoverable.  Some times it seems like a function of how long it takes you to arrive on scene, other times it seems like a preset flag that gets fipped to kill your buddy off after you've gained enough status from them. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2009, 03:49:14 AM »

I've heard that if your buddy gets killed 4 times (or so) then the next time he will be unrecoverable. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »

I just got this and did the first two missions to get my first buddy.So I'm still feeling my way around quite a bit. One disapointment so far. Are they really going to put the way to your objective in freaking red on the signpost? I know about hand holding but the map is pretty easy to understand and follow. Seeing that big sign "Lumber Mill" in red really jerked me out of the game.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on January 23, 2009, 06:00:13 PM

I just got this and did the first two missions to get my first buddy.So I'm still feeling my way around quite a bit. One disapointment so far. Are they really going to put the way to your objective in freaking red on the signpost? I know about hand holding but the map is pretty easy to understand and follow. Seeing that big sign "Lumber Mill" in red really jerked me out of the game.

Yes it will and I don't recall an option to turn it off. I wouldn't worry about it though, because after a while it will be less noticeable. If you train yourself to drive with the map on your lap -something I recommend as there's benefits from it later on and it gives driving a bit more of a challenge- you'll notice the signs less and less. As well, there'll be times when the marked direction isn't the best path; i.e. alternate routes and a little bit of bushwhacking here and there can go along way in this game. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »

odd, I don't remember anything like that other than the markers on your GPS.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2009, 06:46:02 PM

That's because you didn't take notice of them, probably because you were too busy glancing at your GPS or map. smile Which is how I actually recommend everyone play the game. There's an element in this game, no doubt due to the large and impressive world, where it's just fun to get lost once in a while or boldly go where you shouldn't go.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2009, 06:46:02 PM

Same here, I had no idea the game did this.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »

Wow, it stood out to me like a big neon light when I went to the very first mission. It won't kill the game for me by any means, but it's really kinda lame.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »

OK, this weekend I finally get back to this and finish it.   hopefully I can remember enough so I'm not completely lost.

oh, and for those of you who are interested, it's on sale today only on Steam for $14.99, and as far as I can tell they're the only place that has the DLC pack available too.

of course the Steam version also has DRM with the 5 install limit, so if you're dead set against DRM then you might want to skip it.

Because I can,
warning

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2009, 08:22:37 PM »

I had the 360 version last spring and traded it away as I didn't deal well with the controls.  I've now picked up the Steam version from the sale and am just loving this game.  I tried three times to enjoy Farcry 1 and kept hating it when I got to the Trigens.  I think I'm going to really like not having that crap in this game.

One question: when I bring up the GPS by hitting 5 it shows my immediate area.  Is there a way to make it show the larger area map also?  I think I missed the tutorial hint about this.

Also, Fallout 3 on my PC tied to my Xbox Live account and let me ear Live achievements. So far I haven't seen a way to do this with Farcry 2.  That right or am I missing something?
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »

Hit R to flip between the map views.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2009, 09:58:05 PM »

Yep, no achievements for the PC version.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

wow, I wish I had FRAPS up and running last night.  I was getting chased by 3 jeeps and my jeep died, so I jumped out as all 3 bunched up on it and ran across the road to fire my guided missile at them.  queue up the massive explosion as all 4 jeeps go up in a massive fireball, and then a massive firestorm breaks out as flaming pieces fo everywhere plus the back blast from my rocket launcher ignites the grass on the side of the road I'm on.  needless to say it was much more impressive than my pic of the convoy ambush I posted above.

I'm at about 62% done after a few month break from playing, and I'm hoping to find a new buddy soon as Xingpingpong (or whatever his name is) is kinda annoying and everytime I get a new faction mission I start dreading his call.  I'd ignore him, but I'd hate to lose my safe house upgrades.

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2009, 02:57:15 PM

wow, I wish I had FRAPS up and running last night.  I was getting chased by 3 jeeps and my jeep died, so I jumped out as all 3 bunched up on it and ran across the road to fire my guided missile at them.  queue up the massive explosion as all 4 jeeps go up in a massive fireball, and then a massive firestorm breaks out as flaming pieces fo everywhere plus the back blast from my rocket launcher ignites the grass on the side of the road I'm on.  needless to say it was much more impressive than my pic of the convoy ambush I posted above.

I'm at about 62% done after a few month break from playing, and I'm hoping to find a new buddy soon as Xingpingpong (or whatever his name is) is kinda annoying and everytime I get a new faction mission I start dreading his call.  I'd ignore him, but I'd hate to lose my safe house upgrades.

When you go to meet up with him during missions, let him get shot. Then kill him.

Voila, new buddy!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2009, 05:29:19 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on April 06, 2009, 03:20:51 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2009, 02:57:15 PM

When you go to meet up with him during missions, let him get shot. Then kill him.

Voila, new buddy!

good plan.  unfortunately the last mission I had with him seemed kinda short, and he seemed to have almost everyone dead by the time I got there.  maybe some friendly fire could solve it....

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2009, 03:25:14 AM »

holy shit this game never ends.  I've had this since last christmas, and I'm still trying to beat it.  I think the main factor why it's taking me this long, is my disgust with the respawning,  bad voice acting/story, and repetitive missions.  I don't know why I keep playing it, but I feel like I must finish it.  I'm now 73% finished, I can't wait!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2009, 03:39:06 AM »

Quote from: naednek on September 24, 2009, 03:25:14 AM

holy shit this game never ends.  I've had this since last christmas, and I'm still trying to beat it.  I think the main factor why it's taking me this long, is my disgust with the respawning,  bad voice acting/story, and repetitive missions.  I don't know why I keep playing it, but I feel like I must finish it.  I'm now 73% finished, I can't wait!

I don't think not liking some of the stuff factors into length, because I like it but I agree that it seems to go on forever.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:45 AM »

I decided to install this on my new rig to check it out again.  started it up, maxed it out and was getting 60FPS, no more and or less.  this seemed kind of weird, then I realized the game put vsync on.  turned it off, and was averaging about 80 FPS outdoors, 110 inside buildings. still, with the screen tearing I may turn vsync back on and learn to live with the 60FPS.

of course this would also explain the constant 60FPS in Dragon Age too....

Because I can,
CTD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2010, 03:38:45 AM »

Holy cow, I think you just solved my Fallout3 question on why I have been stuck at 60fps.  Had to manually change it in the ini file, hope to see an improvement!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »

Since when is being locked at 60fps a bad thing?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2010, 03:57:38 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 05, 2010, 03:45:05 AM

Since when is being locked at 60fps a bad thing?

it's kinda like owning a Ferrari and only driving 60 miles per hour.

Because I can,
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »

No it's not, its like having a 200mph ferrari and letting it do 200mph. Anything more and the engine could blow or handling getting a bit wobbly. If you have a system that never drops below 60fps then a set 60 fps should be perfect in fact you shouldn't really notice a lot of anything except perfectly steady fps no tearing

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: