http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:21:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Far Cry 2 Impressions thread (now with FIRE!!!) [56K beware]  (Read 15691 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 07:25:42 AM »

played for a couple of hours tonight and didn't notice any real issues.  definitely no CTD's, and the enemy AI seems to be pretty crafty.  I hope they fix the aspect issue soon, because that's what's giving me the whole cramped feeling when I play.  I;ve been doing alot of exploring and looking for diamonds, so I can't comment on the respawn rate yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »

As usual, GameTrailers has a great video review of the game: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41939.html
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »

I'm also getting texture clipping, even with Vsync turned on.
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »

I am loving the game and agree with GameTrailer's review. Fire animations improved once I downloaded the newest drivers. Still need to play around with the settings though. The graphics seem a bit washed out but it doesn't take away from the beauty of the game. thumbsup

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »

I'm having a hard time getting performance I like... maybe...

It's a weird combination of seeming to have a good framerate, even maxed out (which was what it was set it by default... did it scan my hardware?), but seeming kind of... weird... when I turn quickly... I seem to remember always feeling like things were a bit off in crysis too...

I dunno... I turned everything down and I don't know that I notice a difference.  Maybe it's just me?

What systems are people running and what kind of performance are you seeing?

I'm running a Q6600, a GeForce 8800 GT, 3gb of RAM on Vista 32.  Don't notice a difference between Dx9 and Dx10.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 05:41:52 PM »

I know what you mean Kratz, I was feeling the same way so I downloaded FRAPS to monitor my framerate and it was clear my framerate was fine, I think the game just has a floaty feel to it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 24, 2008, 07:17:26 AM

Quote from: Ridah on October 24, 2008, 06:41:25 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on October 24, 2008, 04:32:54 AM

Quote from: Ridah on October 24, 2008, 02:43:01 AM

This game definitely has a lot of wacky technical issues, it's in desperate need of a polish patch. I might shelve it as well until it comes, pretty pathetic on Ubisoft's part.

Well, let's not exagerrate the problems too much.  The issue of respawning is legit, but it's not as if you can't get around that.  And I'm not sure what other issues you are referring to that could be termed "wacky." 

Lots of AI issues, texture clipping, crashing to desktop, etc.

I'm not hearing those issues from too many other people.  In fact, other forums have posts about how fun the AI is and I'm not aware of anyone other than you having CTD issues.  And how many of those have you had, anyway?

Just saying that the game is not a total mess like you make it out to be, IMHO.

- Enemies sometimes take a few seconds to react to the fact that I'm shooting them

- In buildings I can see arms and guns of enemies popping through walls

- I've been shot through walls, certain enemies much have heat vision goggles equipped

- My A.I buddies will begin shoot at enemies seemingly miles away, I sit and stare in the direction they are shooting for a while to eventually see enemies approaching from a far distance

- I've seen enemies be killed by parked cars, as if they were hit by it

- When traveling in the motorboats on the river, the green leaves that lie on the surface of the water pop through the floor of the boat when I drive over them

I could go on. The point is, for a game that is all about immersion, there sure are a lot of things pulling me out of it.

Sean Lama
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »

Quote from: kratz on October 24, 2008, 03:28:08 PM

I'm having a hard time getting performance I like... maybe...

It's a weird combination of seeming to have a good framerate, even maxed out (which was what it was set it by default... did it scan my hardware?), but seeming kind of... weird... when I turn quickly... I seem to remember always feeling like things were a bit off in crysis too...

I dunno... I turned everything down and I don't know that I notice a difference.  Maybe it's just me?

Do you have a widescreen monitor? The link above from I think CeeKay shows that the game isn't using a 'standard' widescreen convention when displaying the game (like so many other bloody FPS games in recent months on the PC).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »

Yeah, I do have a widescreen.

I had a sick kid today, so while he took a nice long nap, I was able to play a round of multiplayer in the diamond mode (fun... I got first!), and then got into the main story a bit more, did a side mission.

It is growing on me.

It seems very smooth to me today... I think the head bob, especially when driving, was messing with me a bit yesterday because I was so damn tired.

I had some fun moments, and I'm getting a better feel for the shooting, and am having a good time.

Two things I wish were different:

1. That there were fewer guard stations, and in general maybe fewer people on the road.
2. That everyone didn't shoot on sight (which if they didn't, I wouldn't mind seeing so many people).

The missions themselves are cool, the AI does some neat things... the graphics are out of sight.  Weapon jams w/ dirty, rusty weapons I've picked up have really made picking the right weapon from the dealer important.  I was surprised that it seemd my G3 jammed two different ways... once the bolt jammed and I had to beat on it to get it to work, and once the clip jammed when trying to reload... I think.  Now I'm not sure, but I think I saw two different ones with one gun.

I wish that there was an option to lean, and that cover was more effective.

It seems like I'm often getting zinged by bad guys from very far away when I can't see them.

A question on health: If I'm down into the last bar of health, is *that* when I'll get out the leatherman and pull out bullets, and if I'm above one bar, I'll use the syringes?  I'm unclear on what is going on with that sometimes...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

Quote from: kratz on October 24, 2008, 07:35:07 PM

A question on health: If I'm down into the last bar of health, is *that* when I'll get out the leatherman and pull out bullets, and if I'm above one bar, I'll use the syringes?  I'm unclear on what is going on with that sometimes...

If you drop below two full bars of health, you have to do first aid on yourself before you can use a syringe. Syringes can only be used once you're at two bars or more.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »

Cool. That's about what I thought... thanks for the clarification.

Cool moment on one of my first missions, where that last bar was going down (I guess when you are in the last bar, it drains as you bleed out?).  I tried to do first aid, but got hit again... thinking I'm dead, but then my 2nd bestest bud showed up and rescued my ass... dragged me to cover, fixed me up, fought off the bad guys... then took off.

Maybe it's a bit silly and unrealistic, but I still thought it was MUCH cooler and more original than having to just go back to a checkpoint and try again.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »

a user made fix for the widescreen problem.  It's by the same guy who did the temporary screen ratio fix for STALKER.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »

some of the scenery just makes me go WOW:

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2008, 11:34:47 PM »

It's fun sometimes to wander around.  I was doing an assasination mission and was trying to figure out a way to do it from a distance.  I ended up wandering around the area, which revealed a long lake that snaked into the mountains, cliffs on all sides.  At the end I saw a hang-glider on a ledge above me.  I ended up having to sneak into the town to do the kill, but went out the back way and found my way to the glider, and then escaped that way.

Between the graphics and the sound, this game is one of the best, even if you have issues with the gameplay.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »

Man I put about 10 hours into it yesterday.  Right now it's probably at the top of my list for GOTY though we'll see if that changes with the November onslaught. 
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »

I want a mod that adjusts the enemy damage modeling so I don't have to shoot some douche that's wearing a t-shirt twelve times with an Uzi to drop him.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2008, 01:00:05 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on October 27, 2008, 12:10:34 AM

I want a mod that adjusts the enemy damage modeling so I don't have to shoot some douche that's wearing a t-shirt twelve times with an Uzi to drop him.

I haven't had trouble dropping anyone yet, but I always go for the headshot with the iron sights.  I had a cool moment earlier where a couple of guys tried to run me down with a truck-  I got the RPG out and reloaded just in time to blow it to hell.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2008, 03:44:29 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 26, 2008, 11:51:28 PM

Man I put about 10 hours into it yesterday.  Right now it's probably at the top of my list for GOTY though we'll see if that changes with the November onslaught. 

What is the secret to enjoying this game enough to play in long doses? The gameplay is growing on me, but I keep hitting the same brick wall: I'll receive a mission which sends me way out to one part of the map, complete it, travel back to receive the next mission, and when I see that I have to do a bunch of traveling for the next mission, I save and quit. I simply cannot get myself to do more than one mission at a time.

Sean Lama
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2008, 05:38:45 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 27, 2008, 03:44:29 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 26, 2008, 11:51:28 PM

What is the secret to enjoying this game enough to play in long doses? The gameplay is growing on me, but I keep hitting the same brick wall: I'll receive a mission which sends me way out to one part of the map, complete it, travel back to receive the next mission, and when I see that I have to do a bunch of traveling for the next mission, I save and quit. I simply cannot get myself to do more than one mission at a time.

Are you using the buses and boats?  Because if you think travel times are still too great when you are using those methods, I don't know what to tell you.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 27, 2008, 05:38:45 AM

Are you using the buses and boats?  Because if you think travel times are still too great when you are using those methods, I don't know what to tell you.

The whole furor over the checkpoints is grossly exaggerated IMO.  You can pretty much blow right through all of them in a jeep if need be.  Then, just get far enough from the checpoint so you aren't exposed to small arms fire and then swing into the turret and make mincemeat of your pursuers.  Occasionally you might need to hop out to repair the jeep. 

Quote from: Ridah on October 27, 2008, 03:44:29 AM

For me the game is all about the journey more so than the destination.  I almost never take the same route to an area twice.  Sometimes I go by jeep, by boat, or by bus.  I take different roads.  I deal with the checkpoints in different manners.  I go in the night so it's hard to be detected or I go by days guns blazing, etc.  It's all fun. The game really pays off exploration and familiarizing yourself with the different zones can really pay off in later missions when you know where certain safehouses are or ways of entirely circumventing the checkpoints and patrols. 

I also don't usually have to travel back to where i started either.  Very few missions require you to return to the central area so I usually just find the nearest weapon shop or cell phone tower and do one of those missions when I'm done with my current objective (though I have now exhausted the immediate weapons missions). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 27, 2008, 01:08:57 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on October 27, 2008, 05:38:45 AM

The whole furor over the checkpoints is grossly exaggerated IMO.  You can pretty much blow right through all of them in a jeep if need be.  Then, just get far enough from the checpoint so you aren't exposed to small arms fire and then swing into the turret and make mincemeat of your pursuers.  Occasionally you might need to hop out to repair the jeep. 

plus the guards have a tendency to try and look official while they stand out in the middle of the road, so you can usually take out 1 or 2 while blowing through.

Last night I damn near killed one of my 'bestest buddies' when I went to help him, lobbed a grenade at an enemy jeep and didn't notice other explosives around the area.  the resulting explosion and fire was quite awesome though; I really wish I had FRAPS running at the time to capture it. speaking of grenades, I noticed the grenade launcher acts odd.  sometimes the grenades explode on contact, and other times they'll decide to bounce.

I also unlocked a buggy last night, which is nice and speedy for travel but can't take alot of damage.  I've seen boats and haven't tried using them yet, but the travel isn't bugging me yet.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »

The buddy mechanic is great.  Because of the permadeath involved, there is genuine risk in calling them in or doing their side objectives but there is reward too.  I've already lost two of them.  One, Josip, got taken out when he rescued me from a major firefight and the other, my bestest buddy in the whole world, got himself into a situation he couldn't control and though I tried my damnedest, I couldn't get there in time to save him.    My new best buddy Paul is alright I suppose, but he's no Warren Clyde. 

Paul got into a pretty hairy situation ambushing a train last night and needed my help and I was absolutely tearing through checkpoints in the my jeep getting their ASAP, afraid I wouldn't make it.  Thankfully I made it time.  I also just rescued some Russian girl as my new second best buddy but I need to a mission for her so I can depend on her to save my bacon when it counts.

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2008, 02:47:08 PM

speaking of grenades, I noticed the grenade launcher acts odd.  sometimes the grenades explode on contact, and other times they'll decide to bounce.

I wonder if perhaps it wasn't a dud grenade? 
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »

The whole furor over the checkpoints is grossly exaggerated IMO.  You can pretty much blow right through all of them in a jeep if need be.  Then, just get far enough from the checpoint so you aren't exposed to small arms fire and then swing into the turret and make mincemeat of your pursuers.  Occasionally you might need to hop out to repair the jeep.

It's not about being unable to go through the checkpoints or them being too hard. It's about respawn rate, immersion, repetitiveness, etc. It's easy to drive up to the checkpoint, switch to the gunner seat and mow all of them down in a minute or so. But it's stupid, if you have to do it every time you come across a checkpoint, even if you just cleared it and are coming back 15 seconds later, because you forgot to get some ammo. And it's double stupid, when they respawn while you are still INSIDE the checkpoint (e.g. when you are completing a mission).

Everyone has his own tolerance for boring repetitive stuff, as well as his own ability to suspend disbelief. Something that is not so bad for one person can be gamebreaking for another.

This is gamebreaking for *me*. It's like playing Jagged Alliance 2, but having to clear a sector every time you get into it, regardless if it's your sector or not. A bunch of artificial forgetable fights do not enhace the game for me, just make it drag.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »

Never seen checkpoints respawn that quickly nor have I had anything respawn in plain sight of me at all (though I know it's happened for others but I haven't seen it in 15 hours). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 27, 2008, 02:57:44 PM

The buddy mechanic is great.  Because of the permadeath involved, there is genuine risk in calling them in or doing their side objectives but there is reward too.  I've already lost two of them.  One, Josip, got taken out when he rescued me from a major firefight and the other, my bestest buddy in the whole world, got himself into a situation he couldn't control and though I tried my damnedest, I couldn't get there in time to save him.    My new best buddy Paul is alright I suppose, but he's no Warren Clyde. 

Paul got into a pretty hairy situation ambushing a train last night and needed my help and I was absolutely tearing through checkpoints in the my jeep getting their ASAP, afraid I wouldn't make it.  Thankfully I made it time.  I also just rescued some Russian girl as my new second best buddy but I need to a mission for her so I can depend on her to save my bacon when it counts.

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2008, 02:47:08 PM

speaking of grenades, I noticed the grenade launcher acts odd.  sometimes the grenades explode on contact, and other times they'll decide to bounce.

I wonder if perhaps it wasn't a dud grenade? 

it exploded after it bounced, but maybe they incorporated a system where your grenades might have a defect, like with the weapons jamming.  let me tell you, there's nothing like having your grenade launcher jam as you go to fire on a jeep that's hurtling towards you.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2008, 03:16:49 PM »

I know someone else said that the RPGs will misfire when they deteriorate which is what made me think maybe that's what the grenade launchers do.

I'm kicking myself for not picking up the smaller grenade launcher that was in my safehouse earlier on.  I didn't realize it went in the secondary weapon slot instead of primary and I haven't progressed far enough in the campaign to unlock it from the arms dealer. 

My chief criticism now is that what weapons get assigned where is very arbitrary and game-y.  Why are normal sniper rifles assigned to the primary slot but the totally awesome Dart Sniper weapon is a special weapon?  Why is that smaller grenade launcher secondary instead of primary? Etc. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2008, 11:02:06 PM »

Just finished the game.  I did most of the buddy missions but not all the other optional stuff, though I did open up almost all the weapons.  Took about 27.5 hours total.

The story twists and turns near the end, and has plenty of surprises. 

thumbsup thumbsup

Hint to developers: If you decide to make a 9 minute credits sequence run after the game ends, please include a way to skip out.  Thanks!

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 12:21:18 AM »

Yeah these super long credit sequences are killing me.  Good lord the one in Crysis went on forever.  But I never want to turn them off for fear of missing a post credit scene or save so now I've just taken to hopping on the internet while they run. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 12:31:11 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 28, 2008, 12:21:18 AM

Yeah these super long credit sequences are killing me.  Good lord the one in Crysis went on forever.  But I never want to turn them off for fear of missing a post credit scene or save so now I've just taken to hopping on the internet while they run. 

Saints Row 2 lets you fast forward through the credits. I thought that was pretty sweet.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »

When you're driving in a vehicle that has a turret, what's the key to switch between the driving and shooting positions?  It was mentioned in the tutorial, but now I can't find it anywhere in the control options.

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 02:08:56 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 27, 2008, 11:02:06 PM

Just finished the game.  I did most of the buddy missions but not all the other optional stuff, though I did open up almost all the weapons.  Took about 27.5 hours total.

thumbsup thumbsup

Hint to developers: If you decide to make a 9 minute credits sequence run after the game ends, please include a way to skip out.  Thanks!

Wow, close to 30 hours for an FPS is extremely long. That's about how much time it took me to play through Mass Effect! slywink

Sean Lama
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 04:11:33 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 28, 2008, 02:06:37 AM

When you're driving in a vehicle that has a turret, what's the key to switch between the driving and shooting positions?  It was mentioned in the tutorial, but now I can't find it anywhere in the control options.

-Autistic Angel

Hit the "C" button.

- American Dad
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2008, 04:13:08 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 28, 2008, 02:08:56 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on October 27, 2008, 11:02:06 PM

thumbsup thumbsup

Wow, close to 30 hours for an FPS is extremely long. That's about how much time it took me to play through Mass Effect! slywink

Yeah, and certainly didn't do everything.  I only did one of the tower site mission, for example.  Also, I don't think my experience was abnormal, as someone on another board said they finished in 25 hours, also without doing all the missions.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2008, 03:38:27 PM »

I really love how people view you differently as your reputation level goes up.  No one wants to mess me with me when I walk through town and on missions I frequently overhear guys talking about how scared they are of "the merc".  Someone on Neogaf posted an excerpt from the strategy guide and it sounds like the AI actually becomes more fearful of you as your rep goes up throughout the game.

Also, it's a great touch that the exhaust from the flare gun can ignite the grass as well.  I've almost been engulfed in flames on a few occasions because I wasn't careful about how I arced the projectile.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 27, 2008, 03:16:49 PM

I know someone else said that the RPGs will misfire when they deteriorate which is what made me think maybe that's what the grenade launchers do. 

I had that happen to me yesterday.  I fired it, and next thing I know the rocket is scrambling around on the ground instead of flying towards its target.  it ended up taking out my jeep instead of theirs.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2008, 03:48:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 28, 2008, 03:41:56 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 27, 2008, 03:16:49 PM

I had that happen to me yesterday.  I fired it, and next thing I know the rocket is scrambling around on the ground instead of flying towards its target.  it ended up taking out my jeep instead of theirs.

Yeah, I had my first RPG misfire yesterday too.

I also had my dart rifle blow up in my face.  Right before that happened I was thinking "man, it's looking *really* rusty.  I need to replace it the next time I'm at the armory". 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »

I pretty much go and replace my weapons before each mission, I think of it as cleaning them, and not as in just getting a new one.  I'm pretty sure if I was a badass mercenary, I would take good care of my shit.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2008, 07:18:41 PM »

I'm afraid the Fallout will be Far Cry 2.

Dammit.  Not enough hours in the day.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 28, 2008, 04:11:33 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 28, 2008, 02:06:37 AM

-Autistic Angel

Hit the "C" button.

Thanks!  That makes it a lot easier to switch positions when I'm being pursued.

I'm curious if the rest of you are playing with the crosshairs option On or Off.  The default settings has them off so that's how I've been playing so far, but needing to rely on the iron sights all the time definitely makes the game a lot more challenging....

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »

I was playing with the crosshairs on for most of the game but I've switched to off since I was using iron sights all of the time anyway. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: