http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 03:48:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Far Cry 2 Impressions thread (now with FIRE!!!) [56K beware]  (Read 15763 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:16 PM »

well, what the hell, since everyone is jumping the gun on the other impressions threads let's kick this one off and get to the page 2 impressions   icon_twistedthumbsup  Amazon has this releasing on the 21st, while Gamestop has it shipping on the 21st.... maybe Amazon means it will be released into the shipping channels on the 21st.

personally, I'm looking to make everything BURN!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:49:34 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

What is with starting these stupid impressions pages before the game is even released?   retard

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »

Yeah, this is unnecesary when you have an active thread to speculate in already.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:18 PM »

in Soviet Russia, you don't get satire, satire gets you!

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:09:20 PM »

Everyone does it, no big deal.

Honestly, I think we should enforce a rule where impressions are started by the first person with real impressions.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:57:40 AM »

sheesh, You're worse than Daehawk smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:17:03 AM »

What makes it even worse is that nobody can even play the game legally before the release date because of SecuRom. So even if someone here did have the game, they can't really give any impressions other than "well, the SecuRom splash screen looks nice".
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 20, 2008, 04:17:03 AM

What makes it even worse is that nobody can even play the game legally before the release date because of SecuRom. So even if someone here did have the game, they can't really give any impressions other than "well, the SecuRom splash screen looks nice".

Please. You can't play it because it because the publisher doesn't want you to until release day. Bitch about the publisher not releasing the game early, not Securom.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:21:30 AM »

why is the mood getting so ugly here these days? Let people post what the he(ck) they want, and if you dont like the thread, dont post in it...

the forum police is getting really (b)itchy these days, and personally, I find that a bit tiring...

anyways, bring on the impressions, this game seems like da bomb!!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:42:56 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 20, 2008, 07:03:07 AM

Quote from: TiLT on October 20, 2008, 04:17:03 AM

Please. You can't play it because it because the publisher doesn't want you to until release day. Bitch about the publisher not releasing the game early, not Securom.

Perhaps you should read my post again with a different mindset. I wasn't complaining about SecuRom. I was saying that an impression thread today is pointless when even those who manage to get a copy early won't be able to play until tomorrow.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 07:48:09 AM »

Sorry, you were. I just am sick of the DRM arguments that I guess I was being a bit defensive.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 20, 2008, 07:48:09 AM

Sorry, you were. I just am sick of the DRM arguments that I guess I was being a bit defensive.

I wanted to joke a bit with Lee just now but his DRM makes that impossible.  Dammit!

icon_biggrin
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 20, 2008, 01:32:38 PM

I wanted to joke a bit with Lee just now but his DRM makes that impossible.  Dammit!

icon_biggrin
There's already a Lee crack out, but I'll abide by the rules and not tell you where to get it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »

Quote from: dmd on October 20, 2008, 02:37:51 PM

Quote from: warning on October 20, 2008, 01:32:38 PM

icon_biggrin
There's already a Lee crack out, but I'll abide by the rules and not tell you where to get it.

bah!  screw the rules!  this here will help crack that protection!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 02:15:27 PM »

todays the day!  or at least I hope-  Ashley didn't call me last night, but then again she never called me about Silent Hill Homecoming. 

I bet she was out busy being a whore.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2008, 02:15:27 PM

todays the day!  or at least I hope-  Ashley didn't call me last night, but then again she never called me about Silent Hill Homecoming. 

Yeah, I went to pick up my copy of Fable 2 at GameStop yesterday expecting this would be there as well but they said it should be out today.  Of course now that I'm knee deep in Fable 2 I probably won't play this until the weekend. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 22, 2008, 02:55:51 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2008, 02:15:27 PM

Yeah, I went to pick up my copy of Fable 2 at GameStop yesterday expecting this would be there as well but they said it should be out today.  Of course now that I'm knee deep in Fable 2 I probably won't play this until the weekend. 

I'll get in at least a few hours tonight while half watching some stuff I DVR'd as long as it's in like it's supposed to be, then a few hours of Fable 2.  Critical mass is going to hit next week when Fallout 3 hits.

Because I can,
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 03:12:37 PM »

I have a question about Steam - I haven't used it before.

I pre-paid for the game yesterday and it should "unlock" today some time around the noon. Is their application going to download it for me automatically once it's available or will I have to start it manually once I get home?

It'd be nice to come home and have Far Cry 2 waiting for me to play it biggrin
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »

IIRC, you have to manually tell Steam to start the download. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 22, 2008, 03:12:37 PM

I have a question about Steam - I haven't used it before.

I pre-paid for the game yesterday and it should "unlock" today some time around the noon. Is their application going to download it for me automatically once it's available or will I have to start it manually once I get home?

It'd be nice to come home and have Far Cry 2 waiting for me to play it biggrin

I'm not sure-  I know with the Orange Box I needed to restart Steam for it to unlock even though they let everyone pre-load most of the files, so you may have to restart Steam after it's unlocked.  Just take a lunch break in about 2 hours, go home and start downloading  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »

Just take a lunch break in about 2 hours, go home and start downloading

I wish I could, takes at least an hour to get home though. smile

I knew I should have stayed home today, I do feel kinda sick smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 03:31:35 AM »

OK, after about an hour of fooling around I finally got it to run right.  For some reason the game doesn't like it when I turn off Bloom when using DX10 and doesn't display any graphics but sounds and subtitles show up.  of course there's nothing on the net about that, so I upgraded drivers, changed the display settings and then finally got it to run when I accidentally didn't turn off Bloom.  I realized that, turned it off, and BAM!, graphics gone again.  turned it back on and bingo! everything is fine.

so, anyways, I played through part of the tutorial and I'm liking it so far.  I need to play around with the settings, but with everything starting off maxxed out I'm getting 25-30 FPS according to FRAPS.  I haven't found any 'WOW' scenes yet, but here's a couple of screenies I took.

There is definitely quick save/quick load, and there's also save point boxes which look to be a leftover from the console version.  There's also no regenerating health, so if you get hurt you need to use medkits to heal.  I tried re-mapping the keys but it didn't seem to like the way I did it as the use key would work about half the time, so I guess I'll need to get use to the default setup.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 04:47:54 AM »

some character shots:

outside the bar

In which I discover FIRE!!!!

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:33 AM »

So I take it you like the fire.  Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

it's pretty cool- you definitely have to be careful when tossing around molotov cocktails.  It doesn't look like buildings can catch fire... maybe in Far Cry 3 they can figure out a way to do that.  make no place safe for the enemy!

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »

Hopefully I have time to pick this one up at lunch between meetings today, but I still haven't gotten a call from GameStop.  I may call first and see if they even got my preorder in.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »

There is definitely a lot of fire in this thread. smile

There's also no regenerating health, so if you get hurt you need to use medkits to heal

Your health is devided into several boxes and it regenerates within a box, i.e. when you lose 1.5 boxes of health, 0.5 of the box will regenerate a few seconds later, leaving you 1 full box short of the maximum. In order to replenish that empty box, you need to either use one of the syringes or drink a bottle water that can be found in the world. This will bring you to full life. So far the game is VERY generous about allowing you to get back to full health (on normal difficulty).

I have kind of mixed impressions. Firefights are cool, the world feels alive, environments/graphics are great. Starting weapons kinda suck, making you want to upgrade, which is good.

On the other hand, I feel that the game world is too big for its own good and the game requires too much driving. I really didn't buy this game to drive a lot, I wanted to shoot stuff. While driving there are a lot of encounters with other drivers and checkposts, which quickly become mundane - switch to the gunner seat, gun down all enemies, get out of the car, repair the car or get a new one, drive again. These encounters are not challenging, are pretty much the same every time and happen way to often due to a pretty high  spawn/respawn rate.

Before going to bed, I got a pretty cool mission from an arms dealer, completing which would unlock some new weapons. Feeling enthusiastic about it, I checked the map and - oh crap! - I have to drive to the other end of the map, which will easily take 10-15 minutes and is going to be pretty boring. So I went to bed instead.

I would like it better if the world was half as big and with half as many checkposts. IMO the gun mounted on the jeep trivializes most of the encounters (I killed like 15 people with it in one of the missions) and the game whould have been better off without it.

Yes, it's nice being able to "smell the roses", watch the sunset, find a zebra, etc., but IMO there is too much of it for a shooter game. As it is, it feels more like a hiking/driving game with occasional shooting.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 23, 2008, 03:22:44 PM

On the other hand, I feel that the game world is too big for its own good and the game requires too much driving.

I actually looked at the map that came with the game and thought the world seemed awfully small, but it does sound like the game could have benefitted from a quick travel option.  I didn't get much farther than Mikes bar last night due to my pyrotechnics before Fable 2 threatened to slap me around if I didn't play it.

I really wish there was a way to switch to 3rd person when driving the car (like they had in the first Far Cry and Crysis) as it feels too claustrophobic
but I didn't see a key for that.  I'm also really missing the option to lean and shoot around corners.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »

Before going to bed, I got a pretty cool mission from an arms dealer, completing which would unlock some new weapons. Feeling enthusiastic about it, I checked the map and - oh crap! - I have to drive to the other end of the map, which will easily take 10-15 minutes and is going to be pretty boring. So I went to bed instead.

I have found two things that help with travel times:

1) Use the public transit system (ie. the bus). There are five stations. One in each corner, and one in the city in the middle. Using these, you can quickly jump to the other side of the map when needed (which is often).

2) Use the rivers! It's easy to forget that they're there, but some of them allow you to get much quicker to your destination than if you were using the roads. As an added bonus, they are more sparsely populated by patrols, and it's easier to get away from them without fighting if you happen to meet any. There are also many diamond cases next to rivers, although some of them seem impossible to get to.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 04:25:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 23, 2008, 04:01:41 PM

I have found two things that help with travel times:

1) Use the public transit system (ie. the bus). There are five stations. One in each corner, and one in the city in the middle. Using these, you can quickly jump to the other side of the map when needed (which is often).

2) Use the rivers! It's easy to forget that they're there, but some of them allow you to get much quicker to your destination than if you were using the roads. As an added bonus, they are more sparsely populated by patrols, and it's easier to get away from them without fighting if you happen to meet any. There are also many diamond cases next to rivers, although some of them seem impossible to get to.

Bus stations kind of help, but often it would take as much time to drive to/from the bus station as to just drive to the destination. In other words, there is nearly not enough bus stations to be really helpful.

Never thought about using rivers for driving! Thanks for the tip, gonna see how it works tonight.

I actually looked at the map that came with the game and thought the world seemed awfully small, but it does sound like the game could have benefitted from a quick travel option.  I didn't get much farther than Mikes bar last night

Trip to Mike's bar is nothing. It's lilke a quarter (or less) of what you'll have to travel in later missions. And that trip to the bar doesn't involve any patrols/checkposts.

While I don't really miss a 3rd person view, I agree that not having an option to lean sucks a lot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 11:54:14 PM »

apparently they've fucked up on the widescreen presentation.

again.

seriously, is it that hard to get right?  Bioshock, STALKER and now this.  don't they realize people have widescreen monitors FOR A REASON?  disgust

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »

The funny thing is, I would never even notice the supposedly borked widescreen if no one said anything.

The game runs very smooth on my machine:

AMD 6000 @ 3ghz
ATI 4850
4GB RAM

Playing in 1680x1050 resolution with settings at Very High in DX10 mode. I haven't even applied the hotfix yet...

Gameplay itself is really cool, malaria sucks to have. Not that I think they should have removed it from the game though, adds another bit of spice to the gameplay.

Sean Lama
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 01:25:05 AM »

Today I had a mission from an arms dealer to destroy some convoy. So I go to the area and I see on the map that there is a guardpost right on the way of the convoy (which - the convoy - by the way is just running in a big circle). So I think to myself, hey let's destroy their convoy using the machine guns mounted at the guard post. So I clear the guards, man the gun. I see the front jeep of the convoy and gun it down, thinking "haha, I am so smart - I'll disable the first vehicle, the big truck will stop and I will destroy it with no rush". Great idea, only as soon as the truck realizes it can't go through the disabled jeep, it despawns, then spawns about 50 meters ahead (which is behind me) and continues on its way. WTF. I jump into a jeep, trying to chase it, but it goes too fast and I decide to return and when it comes again. I return to the guard post about 15 seconds after I left and everyone and everything respawned, guards, jeeps, the whole shabang. Fuck.

So I clear it again, wait for the truck, kill the driver, drive the truck closer to a huge gas barrel conveniently located in the middle of the camp. Giggling, I shoot the barrel, it blows up, the truck blows up, a few more barrels blow up...

...and the entire freaking camp freaking respawns RIGHT ON TOP OF ME!

Fuck it. I endured 20 minutes long drive to the mission for the sake of realism and the game spawns guards, trucks and jeeps right on top of me. Way to immerse me!

I am shelving this game hoping for a magic patch that fixes everything, but realizing that I just probably wasted $50. I sure hope Fallout 3 won't turn out like this or I'll have to pirate a dozen of other crappy games to get even.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:41 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 24, 2008, 01:25:05 AM

Today I had a mission from an arms dealer to destroy some convoy. So I go to the area and I see on the map that there is a guardpost right on the way of the convoy (which - the convoy - by the way is just running in a big circle). So I think to myself, hey let's destroy their convoy using the machine guns mounted at the guard post. So I clear the guards, man the gun. I see the front jeep of the convoy and gun it down, thinking "haha, I am so smart - I'll disable the first vehicle, the big truck will stop and I will destroy it with no rush". Great idea, only as soon as the truck realizes it can't go through the disabled jeep, it despawns, then spawns about 50 meters ahead (which is behind me) and continues on its way. WTF. I jump into a jeep, trying to chase it, but it goes too fast and I decide to return and when it comes again. I return to the guard post about 15 seconds after I left and everyone and everything respawned, guards, jeeps, the whole shabang. Fuck.

So I clear it again, wait for the truck, kill the driver, drive the truck closer to a huge gas barrel conveniently located in the middle of the camp. Giggling, I shoot the barrel, it blows up, the truck blows up, a few more barrels blow up...

Fuck it. I endured 20 minutes long drive to the mission for the sake of realism and the game spawns guards, trucks and jeeps right on top of me. Way to immerse me!

I am shelving this game hoping for a magic patch that fixes everything, but realizing that I just probably wasted $50. I sure hope Fallout 3 won't turn out like this or I'll have to pirate a dozen of other crappy games to get even.

Weird, I did that mission the same way but didn't see a big respawn.  A vehicle showed up between cycles of the convoy, and  few guys respawned once back away from me, but that was it. 

That all said, a patch to slow the respawns down would be greatly appreciated.  I wouldn't mind a 12 or 24 hour cycle myself.  There's nothing like clearing a place and coming back 5 minutes later to see them all back.

- American Dad
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 02:43:01 AM »

This game definitely has a lot of wacky technical issues, it's in desperate need of a polish patch. I might shelve it as well until it comes, pretty pathetic on Ubisoft's part.

Sean Lama
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 03:04:01 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 24, 2008, 02:38:41 AM

Quote from: StriderGG on October 24, 2008, 01:25:05 AM

Weird, I did that mission the same way but didn't see a big respawn.  A vehicle showed up between cycles of the convoy, and  few guys respawned once back away from me, but that was it. 

That all said, a patch to slow the respawns down would be greatly appreciated.  I wouldn't mind a 12 or 24 hour cycle myself.  There's nothing like clearing a place and coming back 5 minutes later to see them all back.

Actually, I had this happening to me twice. After that first arms dealer's mission I took another, did it in the same way (blown up the truck in the middle of the guardpost) and the whole guardpost did respawn on me again. I doubt that I am just that unlucky.

I would probably agree with the 12 hour respawn rate that you proposed, it's just ridiculous the way it is handled now.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 04:32:54 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 24, 2008, 02:43:01 AM

This game definitely has a lot of wacky technical issues, it's in desperate need of a polish patch. I might shelve it as well until it comes, pretty pathetic on Ubisoft's part.

Well, let's not exagerrate the problems too much.  The issue of respawning is legit, but it's not as if you can't get around that.  And I'm not sure what other issues you are referring to that could be termed "wacky." 

- American Dad
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:11 AM »

The very first thing that I did after I repaired that first car was start driving it and apparently run into/over a crate of ammo.  It exploded and there were bullets flying all over for a few seconds.  Needless to say I had to repair the car again.  smile

I didn't play for long tonight but what I saw was alright.  It felt slightly "off" in some way compared to other shooters I've played, but I suppose if I give it time it will grow on me.  I didn't think the fire looked nearly as good as I was expecting, though I'm glad they give you a flamethrower from the outset so you can satiate the firebug within. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 06:41:25 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 24, 2008, 04:32:54 AM

Well, let's not exagerrate the problems too much.  The issue of respawning is legit, but it's not as if you can't get around that.  And I'm not sure what other issues you are referring to that could be termed "wacky." 

Lots of AI issues, texture clipping, crashing to desktop, etc.

Sean Lama
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 07:17:26 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 24, 2008, 06:41:25 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on October 24, 2008, 04:32:54 AM

Lots of AI issues, texture clipping, crashing to desktop, etc.

I'm not hearing those issues from too many other people.  In fact, other forums have posts about how fun the AI is and I'm not aware of anyone other than you having CTD issues.  And how many of those have you had, anyway?

Just saying that the game is not a total mess like you make it out to be, IMHO.

- American Dad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: