http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:31:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FALLOUT 3  (Read 15553 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2005, 02:47:56 AM »

Just so we're clear, we were showing NO Fallout 3 material at e3 other than that poster.  It was just a teaser and a reminder to people to say "Hey, we're still doing Fallout 3" smile
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2005, 05:01:26 AM »

That's cool.  And when Bethesda finishes Oblivion and moves on to developing this, I will be certain to let you know every step of the way what a horrible game you are making IF it isn't Turn based.

Again, a perfect analogy: Let's say I like Camaros.  Then, you come along and make it four while drive.  And raise it 14 inches off the ground.  And extend the cabin to include three rows of seats.  And Increase it's curb weight to forty five hundred pounds.  Yay...your new SUV is exactly what the market wants, so those people who liked Camaros before will be happy with it, right?  WRONG!  Those camaro fans who had their vehicle turned into an SUV are not wrong for being upset: you are wrong for ruining an already viable product.  

[ps -  IF you are thinking of the half-assed solution using switchable real-time/turn-based: Don't.  When playing FO:T, in full TB mode, my high dex characters arranged an ambush for two slow moving mutants; when the first of my guys shoots...the mutants immediately return fire, despite the fact that intiative clearly should have made my next high-dex character go.  The underlying crap-tastic real-time engine, however, made it so the mutants automatically responded: this made the TB engine worthless.  The game was still guided by what real-time gameplay allows.]

THe first of many times I wiLl say this:
IF IT ISN'T TURN BASED, YOU FUCKED UP.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2005, 05:53:57 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Again, a perfect analogy: Let's say I like Camaros.  Then, you come along and make it four while drive.  And raise it 14 inches off the ground.  And extend the cabin to include three rows of seats.  And Increase it's curb weight to forty five hundred pounds.  Yay...your new SUV is exactly what the market wants, so those people who liked Camaros before will be happy with it, right?  WRONG!  Those camaro fans who had their vehicle turned into an SUV are not wrong for being upset: you are wrong for ruining an already viable product.  

That's a horrible analogy.  The correct analogy would be taking your Camaro and making it an automatic rather than a manual transmission.  That's more like the turn-based only argument.

Besides, if the next Fallout only appeals to the people who liked Fallout before (10 FRICKIN' YEARS AGO) then it won't be a success.  Even the guys who were making Fallout 3 at Interplay before it went under were going to abandon turn-based only.  Even the guys who created Fallout had dropped turn-based with their last project.  Turn based isn't the only way to do combat in an RPG and isn't the only way a good Fallout 3 can be made.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2005, 06:31:00 AM »

I agree with Sarkus.  I really don't get the whole madness over turn based vs. real time.

I'm a huge fan of turn based games, but I also loved X-Com apocalypse's real time mode and the Kohan games.

The key to a good real time mode is to keep the pacing manageable and give the player plenty of options in directing his soldiers and the pace.

As such, include a multiple speeds, pause to give orders, if characters can be automated then give them many options to set their behavior, etc...

Heck Fallout 3, by the original team, was going to be real-time.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2005, 02:17:18 PM »

Turtle: (ON JSAWYER making FO3 real-time): I was happy to see that project die because of it.

Sarkus: There is a much bigger difference bewteen turn-based and real-time gameplay than between auto and manual transmission.  TB is FUNDAMENTALLY different experience.

Also, what's the point of buying an IP if you take what the fans of the IP wanted? (Or, am I the only FO nut you ever heard preach?)

But hey, it's clear you guys want to ruin what little joy TB gamers have left.  By all means, fuck us over.  Yes, you could develop a separate post-apopalyptic RPG, and leave us TB gamers with something, but it's better to ruin our fun this way.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2005, 08:13:20 PM »

Big jake, you certainly aren't helping your argument by getting so worked up over a game change.  You're making this a bit personal by sounding like Bethesda and the people who are okay with real-time mode went over and killed your family and your dog too.

I would really recommend trying some of the better paced RTS games.  Kohan 1 was an excellent example of well paced RTS.  X-Com Apocalypse had one of the greatest real time small group modes out there.

Even though I say this, I do have to reiterate that I am a huge fan of turn based games, I play them all the time.  Heck, my biggest favorite was X-Com and Fallout.  I'm probably as a big a fan of fallout as you.  I hated Fallout BOS probably as much as you, but the big difference is that I hated the game because it was designed poorly, not because it included real-time.  

From my experiences I know real-time games can be done quite well and can be just as strategic or tactical as turn based games, but in different ways, of course.

Likewise, turn based games have their own strangeness to them that I find odd, especially apparent in RPGs like Fallout.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2005, 10:16:33 PM »

I heart  X-Com Apocalypse

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2005, 01:28:30 AM »

Yep, Xcom Apoc was one of the best examples of how to do real-time strategy at the squad level.

You could pause to issue orders, there were three (or four) speeds to cycle through.

Your soldiers would use any nearby cover (most of the time), move in and out of cover to shoot, run away from grenades, etc...  You didn't have to babysit and constantly pause to manage everything because of the great AI.

And all this was done back then, when computer systems weren't any where near the power we have now.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2005, 02:14:37 AM »

*SIGH*  

I would really recommend trying some of the better paced RTS games

Turtle, Ive said this repeatedly in one of the previous threads on this topic but I obviously have to restate myself: I love and play almost all genres.  I don't hate RTS'; on the contrary, I've own and played most of the big names and many of the smaller ones.  MY hatred of FO changes is not because I  don't like the genre it's being changed to.  You, as well as everyone else, are refusing to look at the angle I'm approaching this:  There are almost no TB RPG's released on the PC, and none of the non-fantasy variant, outside of Fallout.  In choosing to water down this product for the idiot masses, they are  effectively killing this entire genre.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2005, 02:53:48 AM »

BJ, I'm about a big fan of TB combat as you'll get.  My favorite games remain, to this day, TB games.  Jagged Alliance 1/2, Fallout 1/2, XCom1.  I don't even LIKE RTS games...can't stand them.  Tactical combat is supposed to be tactical imho, not click and click and click and hope.

However, I don't understand this simple thing.

Fallout hasn't existed in any form in 10 years or so.  If someone made a Fallout game now, it has no bearing on those games 10 years ago, besides using the same universe.  It's akin to the old Gold Box D&D games (Pool of Radiance, et al), which were turn based combat; then Baldur's Gate took the same universe, game system, etc., and went paused real time.  Did it ruin D&D?  I'd tend to say not.

Will Fallout 3, if it is the greatest adaptation of the Fallout 1/2 spirit (great environment, cities, dialogue, quests etc.), not being turn based combat, be the worst thing ever?  What instead, if Fallout 3 was turn based combat, but had the worst adaptation of the fallout spirit.  That's in my opinion the worst thing ever.

Make it a good game, in the spirit of Fallout 1/2.  Humor, dialogue, clever quests, character system that makes a difference, etc.  That's fallout to me.

That it had a great TB combat system (though it got very silly at high combat levels....Target Eye with gauss rifle means you one shot anyone in the game at the end....), that wasn't all that Fallout was to me.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2005, 11:25:55 AM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
Make it a good game, in the spirit of Fallout 1/2.  Humor, dialogue, clever quests, character system that makes a difference, etc.  That's fallout to me.

That it had a great TB combat system (though it got very silly at high combat levels....Target Eye with gauss rifle means you one shot anyone in the game at the end....), that wasn't all that Fallout was to me.

Thats EXACTLY how I feel.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2005, 12:49:11 PM »

Hmmmm.Strong with the dark side this is.

Ye Olde Farte
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2005, 05:49:28 PM »

Why can't we get a FO3 with BOTH TB gameplay and true to the atmosphere/spirit of the originals?  You can demand that from Bethesda.  Saying they have the ability only do one or the other (make a TB game, or a good game) is letting them off the hook.  They laid out money for the IP, they can damn well try to make the customers who bought the game shappy.

Oh, and I have to acknowledge a point where I am wrong, and someone else was right:

I heart X-Com Apocalypse

Point for Rob.  I only played it turn-based (it was good), but I did not know that other people liked the RT section.  SO my 'no RT/TB melding' is proven wrong.  It's just the FO:T sucked at it, not that it can't be done.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2005, 09:24:27 PM »

Why can't we get a FO3 with BOTH TB gameplay and true to the atmosphere/spirit of the originals?  You can demand that from Bethesda.  Saying they have the ability only do one or the other (make a TB game, or a good game) is letting them off the hook.  They laid out money for the IP, they can damn well try to make the customers who bought the game shappy.

Actually, they bought the IP, so they can do whatever the hell they want to with it.  They can make a Fallout Flag with "TURN BASED SUCKS" on it, wear it naked, and dance in front of you.

It's their IP.  Not yours, not the fans.  Theirs...
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2005, 09:48:46 PM »

:roll:

OK, 8ball, they could.  I presumed what we were discussing is if it was *right* that they do so, with *right* being used to describe 'sound business decision' in this case.  

OK, I'm leaving this thread now.  I feel 8ball's post was just put in to be antagonistic, and I'm sure everyone who bothered to read this thread can pretty much figure out what I think of the Fallout 1/2 and 3, so there's no point to me continuing to argue with anyone on this.

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2005, 10:39:42 PM »

To the people attacking the righteous (ok, maybe i am a little biased  Tongue ) fallout fans out there: Do you really know so little about life in general that you're surprised that a group of people is against possible changes that radically change the very nature of an object they love? In this day and age of dumbing down games for console kiddies, we must remain eternally vigilant lest we find ourselves playing halflife 3 in some moronic overhead fps view.

A fallout mmorpg... where to begin. I am mostly sided towards the nay side here. On one hand, the main reason i loved the fallouts (other than that they were great rpgs with a lot of depth, something you don't see anymore other than the rare gem) was the post apocalyptic setting so in some ways, i would like to live it in a mmorpg. The problem with mmorpgs is that they are grinds with impersonal quests (lets be honest here, every mmorpg claims to be different and yet i am still waiting for that one...) that paint the player as just another person who has NO effect on the world and that is everything that fallout is not!

i would agree that Bethesda is probably not the best company to make a new fallout. While i do believe they make good games, i believe their version of the mmorpg is radically different from what fallout was. They make HUGE rpgs with impersonal npcs and large generic areas, while fallout had smaller areas with greatly detailed features and npcs. Of course they both focus a lot on side quests and give the power of deciding when to do the main quest to the user (sort of for fallout1).
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"
i would agree that Bethesda is probably not the best company to make a new fallout.

They are about the only company who could do it. Them and Bioware. Thats about it. Or do you secertly want Spiderweb software to take up Fallout?

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2005, 12:54:17 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
i would agree that Bethesda is probably not the best company to make a new fallout.

They are about the only company who could do it. Them and Bioware. Thats about it. Or do you secertly want Spiderweb software to take up Fallout?

Well, personally i do believe bioware woud be better for this job, but only time will tell.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2005, 01:06:48 AM »

Well, personally i do believe bioware woud be better for this job, but only time will tell.

You know what, you're probably right.  But that's neither here nor there.

Fallout 3 will be made by Bethesda.  That's reality.  Deal with it smile
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2005, 01:47:22 AM »

imagine Fallout 3 with a Jade Empire combat engine. *shudder*

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2005, 02:49:10 PM »

I feel 8ball's post was just put in to be antagonistic, and I'm sure everyone who bothered to read this thread can pretty much figure out what I think of the Fallout 1/2 and 3, so there's no point to me continuing to argue with anyone on this.

Actually, no, I wasn't meaning to be antagonistic.  I meant to simply inject some reality into this discussion.

Would I personally prefer an old school isometric, turn based combat, atmospheric Fallout 3.  Hell yeah.  Unfortunately, that's a thing of the past; it's a business model that just doesn't work.  There is a small amount (talking hundreds, maybe a few thousand) amount of incredibly vocal Fallout fans that Bethesda risks alienating.

Remember, Fallout 2 released as a "buggy mess".  The trunk didn't work on the car often.  The game would crash.  Those were fixed by patches, but it had the exact same rep at launch as Morrowind or Daggerfall did.  Perhaps due to the bugginess, or the turn based thing (when RTS was all the rage), Fallout 2 also sold poorly.  I read somewhere (I can't find it anymore, and it's been awhile, so take this with a grain of salt), that Fallout 2 sold at original price some 60,000 copies.  That's just not enough nowadays to support development.

Hell that might not even be enough just to pay for the IP franchise price.

Antagonism, no.  Just trying to be realistic.  They have to earn back at least the cost of the IP and the development.  It's doubtful (based on traditional TB sales) that a turn based game would do that for them.
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2005, 12:29:36 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Likewise, turn based games have their own strangeness to them that I find odd, especially apparent in RPGs like Fallout.

Man everyone has an opinion.  No one is right.   :twisted:  

Die hard/Old School Fans of Fallout just want the same engine and mechanincs with a new story with maybe some added weapons, characters, perks etc. etc.

It seems that new(er?) fans of Fallout like the atmosphere of Fallout (post-apoc environment) but want the newer "trendy" type engines (FPS, RTS, MMORPGs)

Me, I'm one of the former.  I would love them to keep the "engine" relatively the same and add new content.  I don't see why they can't do what they did with Fallout:BOS...  Provide both types of combat (RT and TB).

For those of you that want a MMORPG:  How do you preserve the environment of Fallout if everyone is a hero?  A license like Mad Max would probably make much more sense and give you the atmosphere you want.  (also make sure everyone looking for something like this looks at Auto Assault)

Personally, I doubt us diehards will ever see another "licensed" Fallout like the first two.  The new game will probably be "real-time" and "first-person."  But thats just speculation.  In reality, none of us knows what Bethsoft is going to do.  But from all the interviews I've read, the team doing the development is well aware of what made the original Fallouts great.

In the end, I think that the die hards get pissed off because if the great name of Fallout becomes tainted (much like Master of Orion 3 tainted the MOO series), then we have just lost another great franchise to history in our long career of playing great games.  Most of us (probably) feel like the direction of games in general now is way off course.  You can usually identify a die hard by them constantly repeating, "They just don't make 'em like they used to."

I won't be totally disappointed if Fallout 3 isn't like 1 or 2.  As long as its good and still has some of the elements of the originals I'll be happy. smile  

I've had to get used to things changing in the gaming world.  These kids just don't like the stuff I liked as a kid. slywink

Here's to hoping for Fallout 3!  Make it great Bethsoft!

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »

Man, 3 years without a post. I wonder how many people back in spring 2005 thought the game still wouldn't be even close to releasing yet in summer 2008.

Well, Bethesda posted Fan Interview #2:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=856489
The first two questions will leave you wondering what the *heck* kind of people hang out at those forums there anyway.  saywhat icon_lol

Anyway, lot of details on interface, traits/perks, inventory, combat etc. etc. I'd highlight something but there's just too much to pick something out.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »

Wednesday at 2:30pm we'll be getting 30-45 minutes of hands-on time with the game.  That should answer a few questions.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 08, 2008, 12:37:03 PM

Man, 3 years without a post. I wonder how many people back in spring 2005 thought the game still wouldn't be even close to releasing yet in summer 2008.

I'd say 3 months is relatively close. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2008, 03:32:25 PM »

what, you didn't want to create a Fallout thread of your very own?  You could teach Daehawk a trick or million  Tongue

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 08, 2008, 01:26:17 PM

Wednesday at 2:30pm we'll be getting 30-45 minutes of hands-on time with the game.  That should answer a few questions.

are you going to be able to talk about what you see?  or are you just going to torture us by knowing stuff we don't know?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2008, 09:32:22 PM »

god i hope you weren't forced to sign some horribly restrictive nda. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »

Well, where's our info?  It's not like you had anything else to do since yesterday  icon_evil

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 10, 2008, 09:39:40 PM

Well, where's our info?  It's not like you had anything else to do since yesterday  icon_evil

Since it's not on the front page (yeah, I look at it sometimes), I'm going to have to assume THAT THE CAKE WAS A LIE!

Tongue

- American Dad
warning

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2008, 12:02:33 AM »

I thought Lord Ebonstone had slipped back in for a moment.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2008, 12:05:32 AM »

Quote from: warning on July 11, 2008, 12:02:33 AM

I thought Lord Ebonstone had slipped back in for a moment.

It's an illusion Mister Copperfield.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2008, 03:32:25 PM

what, you didn't want to create a Fallout thread of your very own?  You could teach Daehawk a trick or million  Tongue

are you going to be able to talk about what you see?  or are you just going to torture us by knowing stuff we don't know?

We'll get to write up our experiences, but no audio/video recording allowed.  :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 11, 2008, 02:14:41 PM

We'll get to write up our experiences, but no audio/video recording allowed.  :/
badly done drawings ala court sketch artist perhaps? 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »

Well, you're just gonna have to find some way to ninja in a camera or a microphone somehow. Remember: "You're gonna have to use STEALTH..." biggrin

Oh, wait...kathode is looking at this post. Go away! Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2008, 05:18:23 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 11, 2008, 05:07:52 PM

Well, you're just gonna have to find some way to ninja in a camera or a microphone somehow. Remember: "You're gonna have to use STEALTH..." biggrin

Oh, wait...kathode is looking at this post. Go away! Tongue

Oh, the NMA folks accused me of doing that last year because I managed to write down everything from the demo.  Uh...I have a PDA with a portable keyboard - it's easy if you can type quickly.  Besides, I was sitting next to Todd Howard - I think he'd notice if I was using a camera.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

Now that Australian players apparently will have to smuggle the game in like some sort of toxic contraband (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080711/lf_nm_life/videogames_fallout_dc_1, and a few thousand other news links) at the risk of getting fined or arrested if they play it, the game suddenly seems so much more appealing to me.  icon_twisted

This reminds me that here in the U.S., over-air music stations (i.e., not satellite) have to "bleep" the word "drugs" from the fun Nickelback song "Rockstar." I kept imagining they were censoring some body part name or something until heard the song unbeeped. I mean, the song's making fun of washed up rock stars who get strung out on cheap drugs. And they get censored for it. Bizarre.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2008, 06:44:33 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 11, 2008, 05:23:27 PM

Now that Australian players apparently will have to smuggle the game in like some sort of toxic contraband (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080711/lf_nm_life/videogames_fallout_dc_1, and a few thousand other news links) at the risk of getting fined or arrested if they play it, the game suddenly seems so much more appealing to me.  icon_twisted

This reminds me that here in the U.S., over-air music stations (i.e., not satellite) have to "bleep" the word "drugs" from the fun Nickelback song "Rockstar." I kept imagining they were censoring some body part name or something until heard the song unbeeped. I mean, the song's making fun of washed up rock stars who get strung out on cheap drugs. And they get censored for it. Bizarre.

Yea, that doesn't make me happy.  Granted, I don't live in .AU, but everyone who does will be writing webmasters like myself to try to get us to ship them a copy.  Fun.

As far as the bleeping goes - escape your prison.  Join us on Sirius.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »

So, KD, any ETA on when you will post your Fallout 3 impressions?
 ninja

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2008, 12:36:45 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on July 11, 2008, 11:47:31 PM

ninja

it'll be the first post of the redesign  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2008, 01:49:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2008, 12:36:45 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on July 11, 2008, 11:47:31 PM

ninja

it'll be the first post of the redesign  icon_twisted

Dude, I can't wait until next summer!  The game might even be out by then!
 crybaby

- American Dad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: