http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 07:24:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [UPDATE] Replaying Fallout New Vegas on Xbox360  (Read 923 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »

I'm considering going back to replay one of these games over the summer on my Xbox360. I'm looking for recommendations as to which would be the one to replay, and which (if any) DLC should be included. I played both when they came out, but with their original bug problems I figure it might be worth giving one a second full playthrough. So which place to revisit, Washington or Vegas?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:59:52 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:30:07 AM »

Vegas will always get my vote as the better game but since you are replaying that goes double.  Vegas has multiple endings as well as location specific endings for every town you visit; which means every play through can be different based on your actions.  F3 on the other hand will always end in the same way.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 02:56:26 AM »

I played through Fallout 3 last year and it definitely felt like the game was showing its age, plus like L9 said the ending will be pretty much the same with only minor variations.  I never got far into New Vegas thanks to a bug that has hopefully been fixed, but now I am very tempted to fire it up again after I finish my current Skyrim playthrough.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:03:56 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2013, 02:56:26 AM

I never got far into New Vegas thanks to a bug that has hopefully been fixed

Yeah, that's kind of my concern about New Vegas, there were a lot of bugs when it was first released and I got a bit pissed about it. Are the bugs pretty well squashed?

I did get most of the DLC for Fallout 3, but none for New Vegas. I'm thinking if I do re-start New Vegas I would pick up the Gun Runners Arsenal and Courier's Stash DLCs initially just for the flexibility, but pass for now on the rest. Sounds good?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 03:37:24 AM »

Yeah, the DLC was pretty hit-or-miss for both of those titles. Since I'm a sucker for the exploration aspect of these games, I tend to gravitate back to F3, but ymmv.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 07:22:27 AM »

Fallout 3 for me,just a fantastic game

Fallout New Vegas was alright,i got quite far into it but the constant bugs were annoying until i finally couldn't complete a mission because certain people wouldn't appear so i quit

I also,tell you the truth didn't like the two path choice,i would rather just have one path in a game like this

Because i heard that the game has been fixed now i have tried about 3 or 4 times to play the game again,but i always get bored and never get that far and quit

Fallout 3 however,i just completed again for the 4th time earlier this year

Quote from: jztemple2 on June 16, 2013, 03:03:56 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2013, 02:56:26 AM

I never got far into New Vegas thanks to a bug that has hopefully been fixed

Yeah, that's kind of my concern about New Vegas, there were a lot of bugs when it was first released and I got a bit pissed about it. Are the bugs pretty well squashed?

I did get most of the DLC for Fallout 3, but none for New Vegas. I'm thinking if I do re-start New Vegas I would pick up the Gun Runners Arsenal and Courier's Stash DLCs initially just for the flexibility, but pass for now on the rest. Sounds good?

there is a Game of the Year edition of New Vegas and the DLC is disc based(2nd disc on 360),on one of my retries i had that version and downloaded all the DLC before getting rid of it again,i still have the DLC on my HDD,so all i need is a cheap vanilla copy when i decide to give the game another go icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

For whatever reason F3 didn't hold me as well and I stopped like 1/3 in. Finished Vegas. So I guess I vote that. Although it could also mean I need to go back and play Fallout 3...
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »

I put over 200 hours into Fallout 3 and played all of the DLC. While I did like New Vegas as much although the system is different, I stopped after awhile but I think that was more 'Fallout Burnout' than anything else. Still mean to get back to it some day.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »

dangit, now that I think about it I cannot remember playing through Fallout 3's Mothership Zeta.  I gave up on Point Outlook because I hit the level cap of 30 just beforehand and I still found the enemies there to be a grind.

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »

Other than the bugs (which are hopefully fixed by now), I found F:NV to be a superior game in almost every way.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 16, 2013, 04:31:55 PM

Other than the bugs (which are hopefully fixed by now), I found F:NV to be a superior game in almost every way.

I did some research and found the Fallout3/Fallout New Vegas wiki which has listings of patches for each game, which seem pretty comprehensive. Also it lists the changes from F3 to FNV and those seem interesting enough to make it worth taking up New Vegas.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »

I've decided to go with Fallout New Vegas and so I retitled this thread.

So I'm in Goodsprings, the starting town and running through the opening quests. Somehow, although I didn't intend it, instead of helping Ringo escape, which would make the town happy, I helped the Powder Gangers kill him. I then helped them to kill off the militia, including Sunny Smiles, who was just so nice to me. Well, that's life out here in the New West  Roll Eyes

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »

I did something similar by accident the first time 'round. Decided that really wasn't The Path I wanted to follow and started over. Good for you if you're going to stick with that outcome and soldier on.  thumbsup

Did they ever fix the annoying "won't load a saved game" issue where it would just hang on your most recent save? Had this on my 360, not sure if it happened with other versions. Finally figured out if I kept trying, I could find an older one that would load and then I could quit back and the newest one would work.  disgust

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 16, 2013, 08:59:20 PM

Did they ever fix the annoying "won't load a saved game" issue where it would just hang on your most recent save? Had this on my 360, not sure if it happened with other versions. Finally figured out if I kept trying, I could find an older one that would load and then I could quit back and the newest one would work.  disgust

That was listed as one of the fixes in the last patch. You may want to start you game and see if it loads an update.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 11:04:53 PM »

If he has not played the game for some time he will probably need to update a patch whether he has downloaded the exact same patch in the past or not,as i heard the patches get deleted after awhile to make room for new ones,after all it all goes to the cache rather than the actual space you have left on your HDD

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 11:20:41 PM »

Things have gotten complicated out here in the New West. After joining the Powder Gangers in the takeover of Goodsprings I went to their headquarters in the NCR Correctional Facility and kissed up to Eddie, their leader. From there I went to Primm and made nice with the New California Republic troops.

After some actions in Primm I got adventurous and agreed to join the NCR soldiers in an attack on the Powder Gangers in the Correctional Facility. In doing so I became hated by the Powder Gangers. However, in the attack I managed to shoot a couple of NCR soldiers so now I am shunned by the NCR icon_frown

Did I mention that I'm playing in Hardcore mode? So I need a doctor (or doctor bags) to repair my damaged limbs. I'm out of doctor bags so I'm off to a doctor... oops. The doc at Goodsprings got killed in the Powder Gangers attack, and the only other doctor was the one at the Power Gangers HQ, which I helped wipe out with the NCR. Oops Roll Eyes

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2013, 03:50:00 PM

dangit, now that I think about it I cannot remember playing through Fallout 3's Mothership Zeta.

You're not missing anything - probably the weakest of the bunch.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 03:52:14 AM »

Good weapons, though.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:11:13 AM »

Quote from: Laner on June 17, 2013, 12:46:14 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2013, 03:50:00 PM

dangit, now that I think about it I cannot remember playing through Fallout 3's Mothership Zeta.

You're not missing anything - probably the weakest of the bunch.

disagree Tongue i thought it was quite a fun add on...Operation Anchorage is for me the weakest DLC

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »

ended up re-installing New Vegas last night.  figured I'd might as well have it handy, just in case.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 05:02:31 AM »

To continue the tale of not backing the right side...

As I mentioned before, I was shunned by the NCR after leaving Primm. So I figured I'd make amend by going to Mojave Outpost and doing some odd jobs. On the way there I was met by this tough NCR woman in sunglasses who told me that I had three days before the NCR would hunt me down and kill me. Well, that's motivation. And I do the odd jobs for the NCR and guess what? I'm still shunned. And I bump into the woman and she reminds me I have two days before I'm bug meat.

Well, I can take a hint, so I go to Nipton and do some stuff there. And then I start heading to Novac and damn if I don't run into that same woman who reminds me I have just one day before they kill me. Well, excuuuuuuse me! I continue to Novac.

On the way there I'm supposed to fulfill this quest to rescue these Powder Gangers from a few Caesar's Legions troops. Well heck, I'm not going to do that. At least they didn't try to kill me in Nipton. So I'm going to leave them alone too. Serves the NCR right for being so nasty to me.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »

Well, excuuuuuuse me!

do people still say that?,LOL

and yeah,i think JZ,you have played FNV the exact opposite way then i did icon_biggrin,for me i had burning hatred for the Romans(or whatever they were called..yeah Caesars people),and Nipton was a big tipping scale for which side i was joining in my game(this was the straw that broke the donkey's back and other various sayings that got Ceasar finally interested in me enough to want me dead)

Nipton was where all the Powder Gangers were being crucified on the towns telegraph poles,right?..funny because the Powder Gangers didn't like me either,but i still rescued them

There was a good part in the game where that big statue(in one of the corners of the map)was where they ask you to go check on a neighbouring town where there is smoke coming from,and you get there and everyone in town is being crucified....again
thats also the town where you can find Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's smoldering remains(if you have the strange sights setting turned on or whatever its called)

balls JZ,now i want to play the game again
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:57:33 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 17, 2013, 03:52:14 AM

Good weapons, though.

from Zeta?  I remember finding one an alien raygun before that DLC hit through a random encounter.  It was neat using it on Deathclaws smile

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2013, 05:59:16 PM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 17, 2013, 03:52:14 AM

Good weapons, though.

from Zeta?  I remember finding one an alien raygun before that DLC hit through a random encounter.  It was neat using it on Deathclaws smile

yeah you can find lots more ammo for that kickass gun up in ths spaceship(the Alien Blaster,which actually can be found at the location where you start the DLC in the wasteland(crashed space ship,find it by tuning into the radio signal and playing the hot/cold type mini game)..its kinda hard to get if you have the DLC installed without getting beamed up accidentally and therefore starting the DLC..you have to wait until you have finished the DLC to be able to beam back down and pick it up),theres also more ammo at a nearby army station truck that has been tipped up ,.there are other similar decent guns up there on the spaceship,but i think that original blaster is the better of the weapons

there is a cool weapon that kinda uses some kind of force,its a big gun and works well on the alien droid things up there,its a big gun as well,looks kinda like Big Daddy's drill IIRC

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »

best bug with the doctor:

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 02:28:44 AM »

Well, that just sucks.

I got to Novac and checked into my room, had a nice sleep and decided "Hey, I've never seen Hoover Dam" [I didn't get there in my first playthrough, which I didn't finish].

So I decided to walk to Hoover Dam. And, except for a run-in with some random bad guys, I made it! I walked along the top of the dam till I got to the middle where I found a door labeled "Inaccessible". Hah! Nothing doing. So I jumped into Lake Mead and swam to the eastern shore. Great idea... except there was no way up from the shore to inland. So I followed the shore north till I ran out of shore, then I swam until I found this boom in the water stretching from shore to shore. And I can't jump over it, even though I'm standing on a floating oil barrel over it. That just sucks.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 03:34:07 AM »

So I got back up on the top of Hoover Dam via the little trap door on the north face of the dam. I then decided to walk back down the western side of the river (the Colorado) a little ways. Then I found a gully which allowed me to slide/fall all the way down to the edge of the river. I swam across. I was on the eastern side of the Colorado River.

There was no apparent way to get up to the top of the dam nearby, so I started walking south along the river bank. And walking. And walking some more. Finally, about half way down the map, I found a break in the seemly endless cliffs. I also found a crapload of deathclaws eek. Did I mention that I was only at level 7? Not a good level to be fighting deathclaws. It didn't end well.

I reloaded my previous save and continued walking down the shore of the eastern side of the Colorado. Eventually I came to another barrier in the water. I also came across a crapload of lakelurks. The chased me to the western side of the river. ED-E had disappeared a while back so he was of no help. I ran up some slopes and finally came across an old overlook campground. The lakelurks had given up chasing me.

Since I was beaten up and missing a lot of gear that ED-E was carrying, I decided to make my way back to Novac. Nothing much happened, except coming across some feral ghoul reavers. Sheesh. Between them and the rabid geckos I had quite a time.

Finally I was approaching Novac, hoping to get some rest, some patching up and a belated hello from ED-E. Sadly, the latter was not to be. I was notified that ED-E had died. It was very sad icon_cry. I went to my room in the motel and laid down. Then I realized how really sad it was... ED-E was carrying all the whiskey crybaby crybaby crybaby

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »

Thought i would stick this here
Bethesda have permantly lowed the prices on XBL for their content below,Fallout New Vegas is there,but unfortunately not their add-ons for that game

Oblivion: Shivering Isles 800 Microsoft Points
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Games on Demand) $29.99
Dishonored (Games on Demand) $29.99
Fallout: New Vegas $14.99
Fallout 3 $14.99
Fallout 3 Add-Ons (Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta) 400 Microsoft Points each
QUAKE Arena Arcade 400 Microsoft Points

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: