http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:54:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 67160 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: August 04, 2009, 03:34:07 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 04, 2009, 03:20:18 AM

How do these DLC work with your toon?  Do you have to load a save before you finished the game?  Once you go to the DLC area, can you ever go back?

With Broken Steel you never really 'finish' the game, but to answer the DLC question you can always come back to the main game area from them. And so far, Anchorage is the only one you can't revisit after you leave... don't know about Zeta yet, however, but suspect that also is a one-time-trip like Anchorage.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:28 AM »

GOTY edition box art

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 12, 2010, 05:18:02 AM »

I'm finally getting around to finishing this up.  Yeah, I know.  I finished up the original storyline a week ago, and now I'm going around working on side quests, exploring, and doing the DLC.

As excellent a game as it is, it's kind of a buggy mess.  I've crashed a handful of times in the past 20 hours.  I've run into at least two major instances of scripted characters stopping and refusing to move (once in the storyline's climax missions where the big guy just refused to move halfway through).  I saw (or didn't see) the actual "head of state" until I'd completed that mission (it was just plain invisible, which is why I couldn't figure out why everyone kept talking about it).

Tonight, I started in on The Pitt.  I spent an hour or so going around the mill yard finding ingots and other stuff.  I'm running along a rooftop when I suddenly fall through the geometry to my death.  I hadn't saved since I started the ingot section, so I'll have to re-do that entire thing because of a geometry bug.  Awesome.  It's a testament to the game that I'm willing to keep playing in spite of the numerous bugs that I keep running into.   icon_evil

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 12, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »

i have been playing this again for about a week on my American Gamertag(48hrs i have put in this last week)i was finally able to transfer the licenses across so that the DLC showed up for this other tag

The Rooftop in The Pitt is a well known issue,and i had the same thing happen to me at the start of this week(yet it didn't happen to me when i first played it the days after release last year)...you have to save your game,go to Xbox dashboard(if you are on the xbox),delete 'The Pitt' DLC and then redownload it...somehow it fixes the roof and you can get those Steel Ingots in the corner of the roof,watch out,a Trogg is there also with a Medical Box icon_biggrin...i was doubtful it would work actually,but it did and i had no problems with it since

i haven't had any other big issues with the game that i can remember,i still have a lot to do....i will say that i went to Point Lookout when i was level 20 and holy shit,is it hard there,so i quickly discovered all the places there was to discover and made my way back to Capital Wasteland,i am going to go back to Point Lookout when i am a higher level

Mothership Zeta wasn't so hard,but the alien weapons and biogel/epoxy have been very handy...the alien weapons you can pick up do wonders back down on earth and the epoxy fixes the weapon you have significantly

i have yet to (re)do The Head of State or the climax of the main story

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 12, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »

Looked like this dropped a little in price on the 360(didn't check PS3) and PC at my local Walmart. 49.99 for console and now 39.99 for PC.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 12, 2010, 04:01:38 PM »

I was actually amazed at how bug free the game was personally. I don't remember running into any issues that stuck in my mind at least. I'm still waiting for a sale for 20 bucks for the PC version so I can try some mods with it. Someday...  thumbsdown
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 18, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »

I am just about done with this crap.  I just finished a really annoying section of getting chased by hordes of mobs, finally hit the door out of the area, and the damn thing crashes loading the next area. 

This is far from the first time I've lost a significant chunk of progress because of crash or some other kind of gamekilling bug.  I was pretty much prevented from continuing to look for ingots in The Pitt because of the falling through the roof bug.  I'm glad to hear that some of you had a completely bug-free experience.  Mine has been far from, and frankly, I don't know if I want to finish.  I probably will since I've only got three more DLC chunks after this, but holy shit is it massively annoying to see so many performance issues and major bugs in a retail release.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 18, 2010, 10:38:01 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 18, 2010, 09:40:34 PM

I am just about done with this crap.  I just finished a really annoying section of getting chased by hordes of mobs, finally hit the door out of the area, and the damn thing crashes loading the next area. 

This is far from the first time I've lost a significant chunk of progress because of crash or some other kind of gamekilling bug.  I was pretty much prevented from continuing to look for ingots in The Pitt because of the falling through the roof bug.  I'm glad to hear that some of you had a completely bug-free experience.  Mine has been far from, and frankly, I don't know if I want to finish.  I probably will since I've only got three more DLC chunks after this, but holy shit is it massively annoying to see so many performance issues and major bugs in a retail release.

Are you playing the PC version?  I assume so if you're talking about crashes.

If so, I am currently playing the PC version as well... it definitely crashes from time to time, but with Quick-Saving only taking a split second, you should be doing that pretty often.

Also, do you have a quad-core CPU?  If so, I have a setting for you that reduced my crashes by like 90%.  Let me know if you want to try it.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 18, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »

Nope, this is the 360 version.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 18, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 18, 2010, 10:47:25 PM

Nope, this is the 360 version.

Oh wow, nevermind then. The 360 version actually crashes all the time?  That sucks bad.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 19, 2010, 02:57:36 AM »

just finished up today,i still have a few small things to do that will take all of 5 minutes,but yup...3rd time playthrough=73hrs,although i knocked down the difficulty this time round at about 50 hrs in

the last DLC i played(Broken Steel-adams air base)was very stuttery,and failed to load when going through a door,i had to restart the 360 at that point...i have had a few of these this time around,but if you save often,it isn't that much of a big deal,its only a pain when you have to repeat the last hour because of not saving

FWIW-you should do Operation Anchorage as soon as possible,as when you have finished that,you get BOS type armour that has a million points,so in other words,it never breaks(wiki page seems to think that this was a mistake from Bethesda making it so strong )

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 19, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »

I visited DC this weekend with the family and haven't been in a while.  It made me want to fire this up again badly.  Sadly, I'm in the middle of Broken Steel, so I won't be back in DC until I finish that up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 18, 2010, 04:22:43 AM »

I'm just starting this again (tried a few times before and couldn't get into it) and have a small question.

On the map there are quest markers, what are non-solid markers for? I have a solid marker that shows where to go for my active quest, then I have this non-solid marker pointing somewhere else entirely.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 18, 2010, 06:23:40 AM »

Well there are two different clear markers. The small clear triangle is a place that you have not yet discovered. The large clear triangle is for markers you yourself have placed on the map.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 18, 2010, 06:48:17 AM »

once I'm done with RDR I'm finally finishing this damned game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: May 18, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2010, 06:48:17 AM

That's probably going to be what I end up doing too, I have no idea what I was thinking starting this a mere 4 days before RDR, Alan Wake, and Prince of Enriched Uraniam.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 18, 2010, 06:34:08 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2010, 06:48:17 AM

That's probably going to be what I end up doing too, I have no idea what I was thinking starting this a mere 4 days before RDR, Alan Wake, and Prince of Enriched Uraniam.

probably because you are crazy.  why don't you start up oblivion and ff13 for the trifecta of big-ass-time-sink games.  biggrin

that's why i asked how long nier was before bothering to pick it up.  even though i wasn't able to get it finished before rdr hit, i got a hell of a lot closer than i would if i went back to fo3.  i still have the last 3 expansions to do, half the side quests and the last third of the main quest to finish up, nevermind the little stuff you can do. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:29:08 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 20, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »

Any major technical problems still in the PS3 GotY? Picked it up for a decent price today. Have the CE for the PC but none of the DLC for it. Was kinda waiting for the PC to drop again. I usually play most of my stuff on the 360 but couldn't pass this up.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 20, 2010, 11:15:17 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on May 20, 2010, 10:19:38 PM

Any major technical problems still in the PS3 GotY? Picked it up for a decent price today. Have the CE for the PC but none of the DLC for it. Was kinda waiting for the PC to drop again. I usually play most of my stuff on the 360 but couldn't pass this up.

i don't want to put you off,but when i was replaying it a few weeks ago,i went on the PS3 FO forums,and there are still a lot of people complaining about GOTY edition...glitches and freezes etc

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »

I first purchased the special lunchbox collector's edition of Fallout 3 the very day it was released, but I've never had or found the time to actually devote some time to gameplay.  Having recently finished Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Mass Effect 2, I was in need of something different to play and decided to finally start Fallout 3. 

I had originally played an hour or two when I first bought the game, but I hadn't played for so long that I decided to start over.  The initial exit into the Washington, DC wasteland was no less awe inspiring.  I inadvertently stumbled upon a child in search of his father, and so before venturing to Megaton I decided to lend a hand.  And that's where I already ran into my first MAJOR gripe with this game.

Why in the blue blazes of idiotic hell would you have a mission so close to first exiting Vault 101 where the player would encounter giant fire breathing ants while you aren't likely to have much in terms of firepower, ammo, health, or faster movement?  It was absolutely ridiculous to have my ass handed to me moments after first existing the vault.   disgust

The next issue I noticed is this game is slooooooooooow.  Not necessarily in terms of framerate, but in terms of gameplay, player movement, story development, etc.  I guess it did me a disservice to recently complete Mass Effect 2 because going back to Fallout 3 is a MAJOR step backward.  The graphics, animations, dialogue options, combat, it all feels outdated, unrefined, and sluggish. 

I had really enjoyed Oblivion when it was first released, earning every last achievement (outside of DLC), playing every single side quest, exploring every dungeon, cave, ruin, etc.  While Fallout 3 is similar in style, gameplay, and animations, it seems to be missing something.  I don't remember Oblivion seeming so boring.   icon_confused

I want to get into Fallout 3, but I'm hoping things pick up in a bit because so far it feels boring, outdated, and slow.  Enemy strength also seems completely unfair as my first encounter left me as a smoldering pile of ashes.  I can understand conveying to the player that the environment is dangerous, but fire-breathing ants that can kill you on site mere feet from the exit to Vault 101?  Really?   icon_frown

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 01, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 01, 2011, 09:52:30 PM

I inadvertently stumbled upon a child in search of his father, and so before venturing to Megaton I decided to lend a hand.  And that's where I already ran into my first MAJOR gripe with this game.

Why in the blue blazes of idiotic hell would you have a mission so close to first exiting Vault 101 where the player would encounter giant fire breathing ants while you aren't likely to have much in terms of firepower, ammo, health, or faster movement?  It was absolutely ridiculous to have my ass handed to me moments after first existing the vault.   disgust

Welcome to the reason that I sent it back to Gamefly shortly afterwards. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 02, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »

probably one of my most favourite games this gen

you don't have to follow that kid,tell him you will lend a hand and then he will wait for you after you have done whatever you wish(i think he waits in a fallout shelter cubicle/cylinder thing)...you can leave it until towards the end of the game if you wish,because its one of the many sidequests

the thing is,any sidequest can be attempted when exiting The Vault

Megaton is the place where its all cake when you emerge,collecting metal,stopping leaks etc

and if it does get too hard,just keep altering the difficulty bar up or down..that's what i did,i still spent 150hrs in the game(including DLC)

make lots of saves!!!

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 02, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »

I SO need to go back and finish this game.  It is also one of my favorites for this gen. No doubt.  An epic masterpiece.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 02, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »

Yeah that's not required to do immediately. I kill some of the ants then leave for a while until a level or 2 later. It's worth doing as a good reward but challenging early.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 02, 2011, 03:34:09 PM »

I remember the fire ants being a nasty pain in the ass early on, but apart from some snipers in one of those pass-throughs between buildings, I don't remember any baddie being as annoying.

I don't know that we can convince Pete to like it, though. I do feel it has to click with you pretty early, 'cause the pace and the way the story goes don't really speed up much over the game.

I need to finish it, too.  I have Vegas waiting, and every once in a while, I get back in the groove and play for a week or so.  I finished Oblivion, but there weren't as many games out then.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 02, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 01, 2011, 09:52:30 PM

I first purchased the special lunchbox collector's edition of Fallout 3 the very day it was released, but I've never had or found the time to actually devote some time to gameplay.  Having recently finished Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Mass Effect 2, I was in need of something different to play and decided to finally start Fallout 3. 

I had originally played an hour or two when I first bought the game, but I hadn't played for so long that I decided to start over.  The initial exit into the Washington, DC wasteland was no less awe inspiring.  I inadvertently stumbled upon a child in search of his father, and so before venturing to Megaton I decided to lend a hand.  And that's where I already ran into my first MAJOR gripe with this game.

The next issue I noticed is this game is slooooooooooow.  Not necessarily in terms of framerate, but in terms of gameplay, player movement, story development, etc.  I guess it did me a disservice to recently complete Mass Effect 2 because going back to Fallout 3 is a MAJOR step backward.  The graphics, animations, dialogue options, combat, it all feels outdated, unrefined, and sluggish. 

I had really enjoyed Oblivion when it was first released, earning every last achievement (outside of DLC), playing every single side quest, exploring every dungeon, cave, ruin, etc.  While Fallout 3 is similar in style, gameplay, and animations, it seems to be missing something.  I don't remember Oblivion seeming so boring.   icon_confused

I want to get into Fallout 3, but I'm hoping things pick up in a bit because so far it feels boring, outdated, and slow.  Enemy strength also seems completely unfair as my first encounter left me as a smoldering pile of ashes.  I can understand conveying to the player that the environment is dangerous, but fire-breathing ants that can kill you on site mere feet from the exit to Vault 101?  Really?   icon_frown

This sounds exactly like my own first impression of Fallout 3.  Coming directly out of FarCry 2, the character animations, the feel of the combat, and the graphical quality felt like a big downgrade.  One of my first experiences outside the Vault was watching one NPC murder another in a crowded room of townsfolk, and their total lack of reaction was brutal to my sense of immersion.  That Gamebryo engine is practically synonymous with the phrase "open-world jank." 

I figured out pretty quickly that I was going to need to get real lenient on the finer details if I wanted to enjoy the big picture.  We used to willfully overlook holes in games like Ultima and employ our imaginations to fill out the world of Wing Commander, so I resolved to make the most of Fallout 3 for what it is.  And it was pretty awesome.

Upon exiting the Vault, I highly recommend proceeding directly to the closest town and interacting with the people there.  Be sure to seek out Moira, the shop keeper at Craterside Supply: she has a series of quests that are both very appropriate to your level and serve as a stealth-tutorial for many of the important systems in the game.

People criticized Oblivion for scaling the entire world to your character's level.  "Roadside bandits with veridium swords and obsidian-plated armor," and all that.  Encounter scaling was substantially toned down for Fallout 3, lending your advancement a real sense of progression, but the downside is that you can sometimes wander into a situation that's a couple tiers above your current level.  When that happens, reload (to before you met the kid) and pursue something else for a while.  It feels "gamey" at first, but its a lot more enjoyable than banging your head against a wall. icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 02, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

no doubt about the scaling being toned down from oblivion.  i don't think anyone under level 5 would be able to sneak past all of the mobs it takes to get to the next chain in the main quest, nevermind the quests after that.  

go out, wander and just see what you can see, Pete.  there's no requirement to go out and save the world (or that boy) just yet.  

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 03, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »

and the thing to remember about fallout 3 (aside from being, as others have said, one of the best of this generation) is that it IS an open world rpg.  mass effect 2 may pretend to but in the end its a shooter with levels

and its very much like an old school rpg (fallout always was) in that it IS NOT afraid to let you wander into a situation where the baddies WILL F@#$ up your day smile
Level up, keep your gear in good shape and remember when you walk out of that vault your world is very small and youre just a little baby.  i remember one of the best parts about fo3 (for me) was the amazing sense of progression.  i would wander the world, terrified and clinging to roads, hoping my taped together rifle and lousy 12 bullets would be enough to get me to the next safe haven, before sun down.  it was AMAZING.  it was even better when, by end game, i was a monster tearing down entire
Spoiler for Hiden:
enclave squads and with super mutants cowering before me
.  though even then, ill be damned if i still didnt quiver a bit at the thought of a stumbling on a
Spoiler for Hiden:
death claw family
late at night in the lonely wasteland...
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 03, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »

I've GOTTA finish this. Wife and kid will be in Europe for three weeks soon so that should give me enough time to get through it.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 05, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »

I appreciate the suggestions and comments. 

Quote from: Kagath on July 02, 2011, 03:10:48 PM

Yeah that's not required to do immediately. I kill some of the ants then leave for a while until a level or 2 later. It's worth doing as a good reward but challenging early.

The problem I had with it is that you don't know it is going to be overly challenging or nearly impossible to complete.  And it seems to be a discouraging design choice to place such a mission in a location so easy to stumble upon early in the game. 

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 02, 2011, 03:34:09 PM

I remember the fire ants being a nasty pain in the ass early on, but apart from some snipers in one of those pass-throughs between buildings, I don't remember any baddie being as annoying.

That's at least somewhat reassuring as more irritation along similar lines would irreparably ruin the game for me.  I play games to have fun and get immersed into a story, not raise my blood pressure and irritate me to the point of immediately turning off my 360.  An RPG should be about immersion, story, and gameplay, not unnecessary frustration.  When you have no direct control over combat such as in an FPS, skill points are important, and programming scenarios obviously beyond a player's skill so early in the game seems like a poor decision as players could be lost early on.

I don't know that we can convince Pete to like it, though. I do feel it has to click with you pretty early, 'cause the pace and the way the story goes don't really speed up much over the game.

I intend to give it another try and employing some of the suggestions offered and we'll see if my opinions will change or if claims such as "best game evar!" start to resemble hyperbole rather than objective praise.

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 02, 2011, 04:43:02 PM

I figured out pretty quickly that I was going to need to get real lenient on the finer details if I wanted to enjoy the big picture.  We used to willfully overlook holes in games like Ultima and employ our imaginations to fill out the world of Wing Commander, so I resolved to make the most of Fallout 3 for what it is.  And it was pretty awesome.

Conscious leniency will have to be employed.  But I'm willing to at least try.

Upon exiting the Vault, I highly recommend proceeding directly to the closest town and interacting with the people there.  Be sure to seek out Moira, the shop keeper at Craterside Supply: she has a series of quests that are both very appropriate to your level and serve as a stealth-tutorial for many of the important systems in the game.

Good to know.  I made it to Megaton and started chatting with people, but even after giving up on the fire-breathing ants, as I wandered around Megaton the conversations didn't feel immersive, the response options were limited and sometimes too scripted to force you into a "with us" or "against us" situation.  Mass Effect's conversations felt far more dynamic.

People criticized Oblivion for scaling the entire world to your character's level.  "Roadside bandits with veridium swords and obsidian-plated armor," and all that.  Encounter scaling was substantially toned down for Fallout 3, lending your advancement a real sense of progression, but the downside is that you can sometimes wander into a situation that's a couple tiers above your current level.  When that happens, reload (to before you met the kid) and pursue something else for a while.  It feels "gamey" at first, but its a lot more enjoyable than banging your head against a wall. icon_cool

My only real issue with enemy scaling in Oblivion was constantly stumbling upon virtually indestructible trolls and leveling up too much before tackling one of the early parts of the main quest that involved an oblivion gate.  It was absolute hell to get through.  But it at least took me a while before running into frustrating elements, no seconds after beginning the primary part of the game.

I just wish Fallout didn't feel so painfully slow.  Even being able to walk faster would help. 

Quote from: Caine on July 02, 2011, 07:35:01 PM

go out, wander and just see what you can see, Pete.  there's no requirement to go out and save the world (or that boy) just yet. 

I was doing just that when that kid sent me to my doom.  Little fucker.  It seems whenever I start wandering instead of going to where the developers had intended for you to start (without any clear direction) bad things happen.

Quote from: Doopri on July 03, 2011, 01:06:07 AM

and the thing to remember about fallout 3 (aside from being, as others have said, one of the best of this generation) is that it IS an open world rpg.  mass effect 2 may pretend to but in the end its a shooter with levels

You still were able to visit galaxies and planets at any point in the game, you could tackle side quests whenever you wanted, and even though it may not have been a "true" open world RPG, at least the shooter elements made the game fun and more exciting. 

and its very much like an old school rpg (fallout always was) in that it IS NOT afraid to let you wander into a situation where the baddies WILL F@#$ up your day smile
Level up, keep your gear in good shape and remember when you walk out of that vault your world is very small and youre just a little baby.  i remember one of the best parts about fo3 (for me) was the amazing sense of progression.  i would wander the world, terrified and clinging to roads, hoping my taped together rifle and lousy 12 bullets would be enough to get me to the next safe haven, before sun down.  it was AMAZING.  it was even better when, by end game, i was a monster tearing down entire
Spoiler for Hiden:
enclave squads and with super mutants cowering before me
.  though even then, ill be damned if i still didnt quiver a bit at the thought of a stumbling on a
Spoiler for Hiden:
death claw family
late at night in the lonely wasteland...

I might try to play a bit tonight depending on any plans my wife might have for us.  I'll make sure to keep in mind what everyone has said and see if starting down a different, more manageable path will aid in my progression in the game.  All I can do now is give it another try and hope for the best.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: July 05, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 05, 2011, 05:33:33 PM

It seems whenever I start wandering instead of going to where the developers had intended for you to start (without any clear direction) bad things happen.

This goes away once you get a few levels under your belt.  Fallout 3 rewards your curiosity.  Anytime you think something looks interesting, odds are you'll find a mini-quest, bobblehead, unique weapon, or a clever little vignette.

-Autistic Angel
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 05, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

It seems whenever I start wandering instead of going to where the developers had intended for you to start (without any clear direction) bad things happen.

This goes away once you get a few levels under your belt.  Fallout 3 rewards your curiosity.  Anytime you think something looks interesting, odds are you'll find a mini-quest, bobblehead, unique weapon, or a clever little vignette.

-Autistic Angel

Nice.  Whenever I play games like this I'm like a bird.  "Ooooh, something shiny.  Ooooh, something shiny.  Ooooh, something else shiny."  If I have any freedom to wander off the beaten path I typically do.  In ME2 I'd intend to start a particular mission and within just a few moments I would inadvertently be helping this random person, then that one, then I'd find something to return to someone else in an entirely different system, then I'd discover something else while making my delivery and before long it would be hours later and I wouldn't even remember what the hell I had intended to do in the first place.

I was even worse in Oblivion and the Fable series.  I'd be on my way somewhere and 9 times out of 10 I'd never get there because of a cave, ruins, a new quest, enemies, etc. 

You guys have helped me to adjust my perspective and rekindled my interest in giving the game a more sincere try.  Being so early on in the game I have absolutely no idea how large the world is or even what I might discover.  I remember stumbling upon an old school and a grocery store way back when I first started the game (perhaps a year ago or more), but outside of that I really have no idea what types of places or quests I'll discover.   

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 05, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »

I started Oblivion over the weekend and, when faced with the prospect of a convoluted road route to get to the city where the heir is supposed to be, I went off-roading on my horse and went cross-country.  Found a couple shrines, villages, etc.  While I didn't stop to explore them, I was glad to see the villages popped up on the map.

IIRC, Pete, there's a Megaton mission with a bonus criteria that sends you to the grocery store.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 05, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »

oh ya and pete one more thing (or, well a few more things!)

the game isnt a shooter.  at later levels you can ALMOST play it like one if you make that kind of character, but especially early on youre going to want to 1) make good use of VATS and 2) if you can at all help it, dont run around in combat, drop to a knee, sight up and go slow.  all these things will dramatically improve your ability to actually land a shot, especially in the early going.  and when indoors make good use of cover and corners.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #994 on: July 05, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »

I appreciate the suggestions and comments. 

Quote from: Kagath on July 02, 2011, 03:10:48 PM

The problem I had with it is that you don't know it is going to be overly challenging or nearly impossible to complete.  And it seems to be a discouraging design choice to place such a mission in a location so easy to stumble upon early in the game. 

You know once you try it. Unless you mess up, you're not going to get killed by your first ant, but you're going to realize that it's too tough for you, which should make you leave until you're better prepared. There will be many potential situations in the game where you'll find something is a bit too tough. That's a cue for you to leave that area alone for a while. Look at it as incentive to get more powerful. If everything was laid out according to your level progression, you'd just end up with something like Oblivion, where leveling up is almost pointless.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 05, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 02, 2011, 04:43:02 PM

Upon exiting the Vault, I highly recommend proceeding directly to the closest town and interacting with the people there.  Be sure to seek out Moira, the shop keeper at Craterside Supply: she has a series of quests that are both very appropriate to your level and serve as a stealth-tutorial for many of the important systems in the game.

Well, I visited Moira and completed the radiation quest.  I then gave the landmine quest a try and was completely ambushed by an army of raiders.  I wasn't even able to put one down.   disgust

And, because I hadn't quite reached the town I was looking for, I have to make the journey all over again.   saywhat

So much for "level appropriate".  I don't ever recall being anywhere near this irritated or frustrated with Oblivion.  I've died more times in the first couple of hours in Fallout 3 than throughout the first half of my playthrough in Oblivion.   icon_confused

While "run away" seems like sound advice, doing so with such a slow character is another story.  You have to actually be able to escape.  Not to mention weapons that break down, no money to speak of, enemies wherever you have to go, and a character who apparently needs a walker to get around.  The first set of quests are already a chore to complete.  And I haven't even found any others yet, so "find an easier quest" is a ridiculous suggestion.  I have no money for repairs or ammo, I've got limited weapons, the early quests are already difficult to complete, and I have yet to level up since visiting Megaton.  How in the fuck do you accomplish anything to get the game rolling?  

Not to mention the completely useless compass and map system.  It's almost worse than Bioshock.  Getting around Megaton is even a pain in the ass.

This game may have a lot of content, but "fun" so far hasn't been part of that content.  I've tried preliminary quests to level up my character and wind up dying.  I've tried exploring, but wind up dying.  I've tried using VATS, but end up dying.  Seriously, WTF is with this game?  So far it seems overrated and unworthy of its praise.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:03:23 PM by PeteRock » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 05, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »

You get to Minefield, and then you run into raider snipers with mines scattered all around you?  This game is awful.  Completely and utterly awful. 

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:28 AM »

Give it up. It's not for you.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: July 06, 2011, 02:25:31 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 06, 2011, 02:11:28 AM

Give it up. It's not for you.

Agreed.  All I hear is complaining about how hard the game is and how poorly programmed it is to be so difficult at early levels.

This game may have a lot of content, but "fun" so far hasn't been part of that content.  I've tried preliminary quests to level up my character and wind up dying.  I've tried exploring, but wind up dying.  I've tried using VATS, but end up dying.  Seriously, WTF is with this game?  So far it seems overrated and unworthy of its praise.

I think the problem is probably you and how you play it.  Let's be honest, you sound like you are terrible at it.  While I died several times playing the game(and I played it ALOT), it never got so bad that I started questioning whether the game was any good.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:29:15 AM by Mithridates » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 06, 2011, 03:06:12 AM »

i wouldn't say that yet.  i almost bailed on a few games that i am glad i held on to.  sometimes you just need to treat the game differently than your first impression.  Far cry 2 for instance is more complex than the first one was and doesn't play like your average fps.  fallout is even more so unlike a straight up fps and it really helps to explore and take it slow from the start. 

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: