http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 06:21:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 3 impressions thread  (Read 68519 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 21, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »

Quote from: kathode on April 21, 2009, 05:17:02 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 21, 2009, 04:57:54 PM

No, it doesn't. You still have the same ending with what is technically a very minor change, albeit one that has a significant effect on you and the game itself.

Yes, that is correct. 

Technically as in from a coding standpoint?  Or...from a story perspective.

Also, does the broken steel content occur AFTER the main story so that you have to complete it BEFORE playing the DLC?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:43:14 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 21, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 21, 2009, 05:40:13 PM

Also, does the broken steel content occur AFTER the main story so that you have to complete it BEFORE playing the DLC?

The bottom line is that you don't have to worry that you're missing out on the old ending.  It will be obvious what element changed no matter what you do.  If you're really THAT worried about it, just play it now! smile  But there's no need to be worried you're missing out.

Yes, the content kicks off after the end of the Fallout main quest, although you can gain higher levels right from the DLC install wherever you are in the game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 21, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »

yes,really am looking forward to this....it wont just be this DLC pack,it will be them all as i have been holding back from getting and DLC until this one was out

Spoiler for Hiden:
so who reckons the change is that you only have the option to kick that Lyons girl into the chamber to do your dirty work!! icon_twisted

yay for Puppies Perk..my dog no longer has to wait for me at home icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:23:50 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 21, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 21, 2009, 06:14:29 PM

yes,really am looking forward to this....it wont just be this DLC pack,it will be them all as i have been holding back from getting and DLC until this one was out

Spoiler for Hiden:
so who reckons the change is that you only have the option to kick that Lyons girl into the chamber to do your dirty work!! icon_twisted

Yep. I'll be buying Pitt too. Alaska has been sitting neglected on my HD since release.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #884 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »

yay for Puppies Perk..my dog no longer has to wait for me at home icon_biggrin

Or do like I did in the PC version and make Dogmeat Essential. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 21, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 21, 2009, 05:40:13 PM

Quote from: kathode on April 21, 2009, 05:17:02 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 21, 2009, 04:57:54 PM

No, it doesn't. You still have the same ending with what is technically a very minor change, albeit one that has a significant effect on you and the game itself.

Yes, that is correct. 

For the record, I meant from the story standpoint. But that change has a huge impact on the game world and the amount of coding required to realize that. We'd have to get all spoilery to get into more detail on the subject, however.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 21, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
From what I think I read, you'll have multiple choices as to whom goes rather than you. And I believe something was also said about them possibly surviving which makes me think of Fawkes, whom I really wanted to 'volunteer' for the duty the first time around.  icon_wink

-craig

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 21, 2009, 11:21:56 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on April 21, 2009, 04:33:00 PM

One thing I didn't do this time was leave the vault with the dog. I guess I'd have to play at least one more time to see what all the deal is with Dogmeat.

Not sure if you meant this or not, but . . .

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dogmeat isn't in the vault where you start.  He's available at a different location, one that is not part of the main quest or any of the named side quests.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 22, 2009, 12:41:49 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 21, 2009, 11:21:56 PM

One thing I didn't do this time was leave the vault with the dog. I guess I'd have to play at least one more time to see what all the deal is with Dogmeat.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dogmeat isn't in the vault where you start.  He's available at a different location, one that is not part of the main quest or any of the named side quests.

Well, that's good to know!

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 23, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on April 22, 2009, 12:41:49 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on April 21, 2009, 11:21:56 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Well, that's good to know!

Or NOT know, lol!  I'm not a big fan of DLC that comes out much later than I finish the main game.  From the conversation here, though - minus Spoilers - I might end up getting it someday.  It sounds more interesting at least, and the ending won't be a problem, because I've already forgotten the "first" ending.  Yay, bad memory!   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 23, 2009, 08:18:48 PM »

yeah c'mon Myto,i have just started the game again(third playthrough)getting ready to download all 3 packs come May

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 23, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 23, 2009, 08:18:48 PM

yeah c'mon Myto,i have just started the game again(third playthrough)getting ready to download all 3 packs come May

Lol, then you know how I felt after finishing Morrowind for the first time! (And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.)  icon_twisted

I don't care much about DLC - unless it comes out while I'm still playing the game.  I would continue with most games, if the DLC comes out while I'm still playing.  Not so much if I've finished the original game already.

I do know one thing, though - it annoys me a bit if I finish a game - and have all of the Achievement points (a bit rare for me), then DLC is released and now it says I've achieved 1,000 points - out of 1,250!  Grrr...  mad

Luckily, "ease of access" and "difficulty levels" and "save anywhere" - plus many other details - are what determine my desire to play or re-play a game.  I really like Achievement Points, but I get too frustrated when they are too difficult for me.  My feeble almost 5k points will have to suffice for now!   icon_lol

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 25, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »

I just started playing this last week, kind of off to a rough start. I'm a bit clueless as to where I'm supposed to be going upon exiting the vault. I cleared the nearby school with no particular objective, then I found a kid whose town was overrun by fireants who kick my ass. Not really getting anywhere it seems like.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 25, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 25, 2009, 10:47:16 PM

I just started playing this last week, kind of off to a rough start. I'm a bit clueless as to where I'm supposed to be going upon exiting the vault. I cleared the nearby school with no particular objective, then I found a kid whose town was overrun by fireants who kick my ass. Not really getting anywhere it seems like.
Don't worry about nothing being guided on rails. That threw me off at first as well. The thing to do is just go explore. You will be given information as you go along regarding the main quest, but it's just as important to do side quests to build up your inventory and your skills. It sounds weird, but the thing to do is put yourself into the game. Decide what you want to do based on interest or survival instinct, not on how you think the game designers want you to move next.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 25, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »

it's been awhile, but doesn't the first quest you get pretty much as soon as you step out of the vault tell you to go to Megaton?  if you select it an arrow should show up on your compass showing you the way.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 26, 2009, 01:46:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 25, 2009, 11:07:56 PM

it's been awhile, but doesn't the first quest you get pretty much as soon as you step out of the vault tell you to go to Megaton?  if you select it an arrow should show up on your compass showing you the way.

yes i think so,as you got the info on Megaton of the Overseers computer in his office when you opened the secret exit,but either way you can still explore,and soon enough you would come across it

i have now saved it at the last mission,just waiting for that lovely DLC,only did a few side missions this time(i have 17 hrs on the clock!!),managed to still get level 16,when the level cap to 30 is out,i will do the rest of the side missions,as it says it is meant to be quite tricky getting to 30

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 26, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »

Yeah. First location is megaton.

As for the fireants...bypass them for now. They're tough even when you have good guns when you're at a lower level...head for megaton.
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 26, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 26, 2009, 08:07:58 PM

Yeah. First location is megaton.

As for the fireants...bypass them for now. They're tough even when you have good guns when you're at a lower level...head for megaton.

As far as the fireants, when you're in town fighting them just get their attention and run to the 2nd floor of the destroyed buildings.  They can't follow you up and their flame isn't effective above them, at least most of the time.  Then shoot their antenna to cause them to attack other ants.  Once you need to go inside subway to continue the mission line, it definitely takes good weapons and health, and some ants drop a fire resistance buff so save them for the subway.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 03, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »

I've put about 6-7 hours into the game and can't get into it, it's just too Oblivion for me. Up for sale on Amazon it goes...

Sean Lama
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 04, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »

Crazy... Fallout3 = Oblivion like Grand Theft Auto = Pokemon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: May 04, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »

Quote from: jament on May 04, 2009, 12:44:02 AM

well Fallout 3 does have the bobbleheads.. gotta catch them all!

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:41 AM »

Quote from: jament on May 04, 2009, 12:44:02 AM

That's a pretty bad analogy, I gotta say slywink

Sean Lama
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 04, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »

BROKEN STEEL TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 04, 2009, 12:09:56 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 03, 2009, 10:40:01 PM

I've put about 6-7 hours into the game and can't get into it, it's just too Oblivion for me. Up for sale on Amazon it goes...

I had the same problem when I played it on 360.  Interestingly, it really clicked for me on PC and I got all the way through it.  Not sure what the difference was...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 04, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »

I played about eight hours of this when it first came out, and then decided to put a hold on all RPGs and focus on the shorter action games that came out last fall, then pick up the RPGs afterward.  Well, by the time I got through the first RPG, the schedule for the DLC was released, and I decided to wait until all of that was released before starting Fallout in earnest. 

So here we are, the day before Broken Steel comes out.  I finished the game I was playing last week, and I've decided that Saints Row 2 isn't what I'm looking for right now, so I've got an opportunity to start a new game.  So what did I do yesterday? Started playing Tales of Vesperia.  That's right, now I've got a 60 hour RPG in front of me.  Then Fallout. 

I'm dumb.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

Broken Steel trailer - http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/videos.html

A word of warning -- it contains ending spoilers if you haven't seen the ending yet.  Actually it starts right out with a shot from the pivotal ending scene, so don't even click if you want to avoid that stuff smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 04, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »

Quote from: kathode on May 04, 2009, 04:17:33 PM

A word of warning -- it contains ending spoilers if you haven't seen the ending yet.  Actually it starts right out with a shot from the pivotal ending scene, so don't even click if you want to avoid that stuff smile

yeah that's the same one i saw on the xbox live dashboard (UK)yesterday or the day before,and i thought the same thing(about the spoilers i mean)..thankfully i had already finished it

really looking forward to going back,i am currently level 20,and i have a lot of side missions that i just need to go back to the mission giver and collect my XP..i have 35 quantum nucas i am gonna give to sierra,and the Reilly rangers quest with the geomapper should haul in a lot of XP,as i have just activated the level 20 explorer perk and found i was only missing a few locations

question:will the new locations for all 3 DLC packs appear automatically if you already have the level 20 explorer perk,or will you still need to 'discover' them?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 04, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 04, 2009, 03:15:37 PM

I played about eight hours of this when it first came out, and then decided to put a hold on all RPGs and focus on the shorter action games that came out last fall, then pick up the RPGs afterward.  Well, by the time I got through the first RPG, the schedule for the DLC was released, and I decided to wait until all of that was released before starting Fallout in earnest. 

So here we are, the day before Broken Steel comes out.  I finished the game I was playing last week, and I've decided that Saints Row 2 isn't what I'm looking for right now, so I've got an opportunity to start a new game.  So what did I do yesterday? Started playing Tales of Vesperia.  That's right, now I've got a 60 hour RPG in front of me.  Then Fallout. 

I'm dumb.

Nah, Vesperia is a pretty awesome game.  I personally liked it better than FO3, but YMMV.

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 04, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »

You're not alone, lots of people complain about this.  Personally, I just didn't see it.  I had played Oblivion to death and finally purchased the expansion, but just couldn't get into it because I was sick of Oblivion.  Started playing FO3 and was hooked.  Frankly, the games seemed entirely different to me.  It would be interesting to try and isolate why some people get an overwhelming Oblivion-with-guns feeling while others don't.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 04, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »

I wish you could have posted that warning on XBLM.  Fortunately, it was vague enough that I couldn't really put together much of anything.

What's the final word, BTW?  Should we finish the original first or go ahead with Broken Steel (I'm not really anywhere near finishing, I don't think).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 04, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on May 04, 2009, 05:24:49 PM

You're not alone, lots of people complain about this.  Personally, I just didn't see it.  I had played Oblivion to death and finally purchased the expansion, but just couldn't get into it because I was sick of Oblivion.  Started playing FO3 and was hooked.  Frankly, the games seemed entirely different to me.  It would be interesting to try and isolate why some people get an overwhelming Oblivion-with-guns feeling while others don't.

Here is why: A major portion of your time is spent interacting with NPCs, just like in Oblivion. In addition to that, the fasion in which you interact with them is exactly the same as Oblivion. I mean honestly, this has to make up 40% of the game, with another 30% in combat and 10% traveling. Not interested in listening to NPCs jabber for 40 hours again.

Sean Lama
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 04, 2009, 06:38:25 PM »

I don't understand this line of reasoning.  I feel like most RPGs tend to be very story-heavy, and thus contain a lot of "NPCs yammering".  If that bugs you, then you probably weren't looking for an RPG anyway.  Besides, given that this is a Bethesda game, couldn't you just tell them to fuck off and then shoot them in the head?

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 04, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 04, 2009, 06:38:25 PM

I don't understand this line of reasoning.  I feel like most RPGs tend to be very story-heavy, and thus contain a lot of "NPCs yammering".  If that bugs you, then you probably weren't looking for an RPG anyway.  Besides, given that this is a Bethesda game, couldn't you just tell them to fuck off and then shoot them in the head?

Simply put, he doesn't like RPG's.  He likes action/rpg's that are very lite on the rpg, at most.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 04, 2009, 06:25:21 PM

I wish you could have posted that warning on XBLM.  Fortunately, it was vague enough that I couldn't really put together much of anything.

What's the final word, BTW?  Should we finish the original first or go ahead with Broken Steel (I'm not really anywhere near finishing, I don't think).

Don'y even worry about the original ending, go ahead and wrap up the main quest while nestled in the gentle arms of Broken Steel.

-craig

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 04, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on May 04, 2009, 05:24:49 PM

For me, the graphic style was most of it.   The character models looked identical (just swap out armor and swords for spikes and guns), many of the environments looked to use nearly the exact same tile set (caves, especially), the dialog interface was the same (just using different colors), and I could swear they used some of the same voice actors.   It's like they took the Oblivion framework and threw a post-apocalyptic coat of paint on it.  Once you stepped outside the main quest, much of the writing and quest structure also felt very similar.   

None of this is necessarily a bad thing, it's just very obvious that both games were made by the same folks.  I really enjoyed both games (put over 40 hours into each), but I can't deny that FO3 felt very similar to Oblivion in most respects.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: May 04, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 04, 2009, 07:07:51 PM

For me, the graphic style was most of it.   The character models looked identical (just swap out armor and swords for spikes and guns), many of the environments looked to use nearly the exact same tile set (caves, especially), the dialog interface was the same (just using different colors), and I could swear they used some of the same voice actors.   It's like they took the Oblivion framework and threw a post-apocalyptic coat of paint on it.  Once you stepped outside the main quest, much of the writing and quest structure also felt very similar.

Some of the same voice actors, definitely.  We use several local Maryland actors who we think are great.  We got a lot more for Fallout though, obviously.  Not one pixel of shared art content, but some of the base tech is shared to one degree or another.  All of it's been upgraded, so more polys and higher texture counts and resolution, etc.  The dialog is similar in structure but Oblivion didn't use real trees or full PC responses.  TheMoreYouKnow.jpg smile
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: May 04, 2009, 07:40:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 04, 2009, 06:25:21 PM

See my second post on this page.  No need to worry about it.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 04, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 04, 2009, 06:39:47 PM

Simply put, he doesn't like RPG's.  He likes action/rpg's that are very lite on the rpg, at most.

Not true, I just don't like massive conversations with every NPC. Not every "hardcore" RPG or whatever you want to call it overloads you with this outside of main characters or plot points.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 04, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 04, 2009, 08:14:34 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 04, 2009, 07:50:01 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 04, 2009, 06:39:47 PM

Not true, I just don't like massive conversations with every NPC. Not every "hardcore" RPG or whatever you want to call it overloads you with this outside of main characters or plot points.

so you like RPGs, but you dont like to get into the role? I see.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: